b777a340fan

That's My Luggage!

Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:02 am

I recently returned from CA and was waiting for my luggage (standard black Samsonite roller), but never saw it coming. I thought to myself that they must've lost it somewhere. But on my way to the luggage counter, I see someone rolling out of the airport with my luggage. I quickly run towards that passenger and reclaim my belonging. Come to think of it, if I wasn't "lucky" that time, I could've easily lost my luggage to some careless passenger not bothered to match the tag to their name. Had I even walked up the the airline and filed a claim, they wouldn't have brought it back, unless the passenger was honest enough to bring it back. Would the airline be responsible for my luggage? Has this ever happened to anybody? I mean, isn't it easy to just walk out with someone else's luggage or just take one extra and steal the items inside? This is especially easy to do since TSA's "no-lock" rules. I remember there used to be people at the exit making sure you took your own luggage, but I don't see that anymore....

[Edited 2007-10-23 03:02:34]

[Edited 2007-10-23 03:02:46]

[Edited 2007-10-23 03:03:47]

[Edited 2007-10-23 03:14:17]

citationjet

RE: Hey!

Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:07 am

That is why I tape a large blue X on all sides of my luggage. It makes it very obvious to see. No one can "mistakenly" pick up your bag by mistake.

Also, if you are immediately boarding a one week cruise, for example, there is no way to get your luggage switched back, even if was an accidental switch.
Another thing about luggage is that most people have their home address on the outside of their luggage. Since you are only traveling TO your home half the time, and the other half of the time you are traveling somewhere else, it only makes since to put your destination address on your luggage rather than your home address. If your airline destination tag comes off on your outbound trip, the last place you want your luggage to be sent is back home.

[Edited 2007-10-23 03:32:02]
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

CV990

RE: Hey!

Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:09 am

Hi!

That's something quite scary and you're right, there are some people that don't even care about look to tags etc. etc. But I tell you the most caotic moment I had at the luggage counter was in FIH ( Kinshasa/RDCongo ), everybody was leaning over the luggage area trying to find out their piece, strange people would deliberately get inside the mechanic ramp and pick luggage from anyone so they could latter get some money, it was a completely caos, but the good thing was whe I got my suitcase the controller guy would check the number in my ticket with the number in the suitcase...I think they probably know that already.
Regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

b777a340fan

RE: That's My Luggage!

Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:15 am

Quoting CitationJet (Reply 1):
That is why I tape a large blue X on all sides of my luggage

Yup, I also have a red string attached to the handle of my luggage, but I think people may be color blind or can't seem to distinguish it.

GBan

Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:20 am

Quoting B777A340Fan (Thread starter):
Has this ever happened to anybody? I mean, isn't it easy to just walk out with someone else's luggage or just take one extra and steal the items inside? I remember there used to be people at the exit making sure you took your own luggage, but I don't see that anymore...

Actually happened to me once. Recognized my roller since it has some specific damages. So I thought, and someone else thought the same thing  Wink

LH customer service connected us and we met to exchange. Since that day I do read the tags, no matter how sure I am.

KL577

Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:44 am

Quoting CV990 (Reply 3):
Hi!

That's something quite scary and you're right, there are some people that don't even care about look to tags etc. etc. But I tell you the most caotic moment I had at the luggage counter was in FIH ( Kinshasa/RDCongo ), everybody was leaning over the luggage area trying to find out their piece, strange people would deliberately get inside the mechanic ramp and pick luggage from anyone so they could latter get some money, it was a completely caos, but the good thing was whe I got my suitcase the controller guy would check the number in my ticket with the number in the suitcase...I think they probably know that already.
Regards

That's why in Nigeria nowadays everybody has to show that the luggage tag matches the part you retained during check-in. I guess problems like you described persisted in some Nigerian airports as well. That said, I wonder why there are no checks like that in any other airport in the world. It's very easy just to take someone else's luggage (with or without intent) and walk out.

JoeCanuck

Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:06 am

It's the same in China and Ukraine, to name a couple more. I think it's a great idea. It only takes a moment to have a couple of people verify the tags match. Who knows how much lost luggage was 'accidentally' stolen. Pretty easy to do if the luggage gets to the conveyor before the passengers get off the plane.
What the...?

FlyboyOz

Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:06 am

Next time you need a BRIGHT color lugguage (such as red, yellow and orange). Lots of pax have dark /black color luggage which are hard to find it.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

AlexPorter

Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:43 am

I'm usually that guy who stands as close as possible to where the bags come out so I can find my bag before someone else does. But I'm getting pretty sick of it, especially here in PHX where the bags might come down the carousel the same day if you're lucky... but I've never had someone else take my bag.

However, the other day at Quiznos I accidentally took someone else's sandwich since the same type of meat was on it, it got done at about the time I expected it to, and the person's name sounded similar, but order numbers weren't used, even though we had them. The name wasn't spot on with the pronunciation but I assumed this was because the employee most likely only knew English as a second language and wasn't pronouncing the "X" properly. I only noticed the mistake once I started eating it and suddenly the person kept repeating my name a bit more clearly this time. I realized my sandwich was bigger than normal and spicier too. I can't imagine how bad I'd feel if I made it home with someone else's luggage! (Although at least luggage can be returned - I can't return a half-eaten sandwich!) So I always check in multiple spots - the tag I put on, the actual claim tag from the airline which has my name and flight itinerary on it, etc.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

AirframeAS

Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:55 am

I remember there used to be people at the exit making sure you took your own luggage, but I don't see that anymore....

The only time I have EVER seen that in all of the times I have been flying in my lifetime was when I returned from trip from back east in 1989. This was in SEA. And Ive only seen this done once. I think the reason as to why it was stopped was because it was too expensive for the Port of Seattle (and everywhere else) to pay for this kind of service.

It would be nice to bring that service back. But then again, it would crowd up the baggage claim worse than it should be.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

N14AZ

Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:08 pm

In Bucharest OTP the technicians have the bad habit of taking off some luggage from the belt when there are too many suitcases on the belt. Last time I waited on one side of the conveyor belt and had not seen that they had taken my suitcase off the belt. I got really worried, started to complain loudly about my airline. When walking to the airlines office I finally found it...

gocaps16

Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:16 pm

Yup! Happened to me years ago flying from DFW-BWI on AA. Everytime I fly in or out of BWI, I always spend some time at the observation area inside the terminal and checking out the aviation store they had. Well, after I got off this flight, I headed over there for about half an hour to beat the rush of the people on my flight to the baggage claim. Well, I thought, by the time I get to the baggage claim to pick up my baggages, it would be in clear sight and ready for me to take it and go home. Apparently, I was wrong. After buying several aircraft models from the store, it was time for me to go home and make the hour drive to Virginia. Well, something wasn't right, and no where in sight, is my baggage. All of the passengers had left and there were a few unclaimed bags near the bulkhead, but I couldn't find mine. I filed a missing claim and went home, hoping I'd be lucky. The agent said that there was another flight from DFW on it's way a few hours later, so if it's in Dallas, then it would be on that plane. Well, several hours later, approx. 10 at night, I got a call from AA. They told me that they have my bag and that a passenger that was on my flight, took it by accident, and then brought it back to BWI. Apparently, his bag was still at the airport and I guess he was in a hurry and took mine instead without ID'ing the bag first.
This was also before the TSA days, where we had the right to lock our check baggage. However, AA did a good job and sent someone to deliver my "lost" bag at my house and was relieved to get my personal belongings back, even tho, it was just clothes, and didn't mind the $2000 check to buy newer clothes.

Ever since, after arrival, I head straight to the claim area to retrieve my check bag and always use an identifiable baggage tags or display airline stickers all over, whichever works.

[Edited 2007-10-23 05:21:16]

[Edited 2007-10-23 05:22:31]

bond007

Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:28 pm

In the US, it would make the process a LOT easier, if they made the pax stand behind lines 5-10ft away from the carousel, and ONLY go up to carousel when your bag is on it... in Europe they do this, right? Much more chance of everyone seeing their luggage, instead of a free-for-all crowding the carsousel.

A couple of stories ... flew into CLT once with a co-worker, picked up bags and headed for a 2hr drive to the office ... well, 1hr into the trip, my co-worker realizes he has somebody else's bag !!!!! U-turn, back to the airport, where the poor guy was still waiting to get it back!

.... another one, somebody obviously thought my bag was theirs, so they removed it from the belt, realized it wasn't, then just left it on the floor without putting it back on belt!!!! I didn't know until the very last bags were removed, and then I see MY bag just sitting on the floor!!!

Oh well ... the joys of flying.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

LH526
Crew

Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:44 pm

That's why I ALWAYS double check if the tag matches. (Name, number, ...)

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 13):
In the US, it would make the process a LOT easier, if they made the pax stand behind lines 5-10ft away from the carousel, and ONLY go up to carousel when your bag is on it... in Europe they do this, right?

I see no difference in carousel etiquete in FRA and e.g. IAD or JFK

Mario
LH526
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

TPAnx

Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:45 pm

I've only seen luggage tags/tickets checked at LAX...and that was years ago.
Agree with those who say you should make your luggage very identifiable...would help a lot if you see it heading out the door. Having said that..decades ago..my cousin grabbed a suitcase at Greyhound which looked just like his..among the tips that it wasn't..was the gun he found inside! Back to the bus station!!
TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

bond007

Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:49 pm

Quoting LH526 (Reply 14):

Do you stand behind a line at FRA then?

There's no question this is a better solution than crowding the belt, and enables many more people to see the complete belt ... IMO.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

willbdsp

Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:49 pm

WN at MDW is the only place that I've experienced where there is someone there to make sure your luggage matches your claim ticket.

AI

Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:44 pm

my uncle did that a few years ago as well.
Travelled from LHR to NBO on KQ.
Now, he is not the most alert person you will meet & especially after a tiring flight. He & my aunt picked up what they thought was their luggage. They had arrived early in the morning apparently. They went to my aunts brothers place & did not need to open that particular bag till that night. It was only when the key didnt fit in properly when they tried to open it before going to bed, they realised that they had someone elses bag. That poor soul.
Since then I always stand as close to the bag arrival point on the carousel as possible.

AI.

NG1Fan

Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:12 pm

A friend of my father's went one better: an airline which shall remain nameless mixed up his suit jacket with that of another gentleman sitting in business class. All went well until he got to the hotel and had to pay his cab - wrong wallet!

Took three days to track down the other party.

NG1Fan

PanAm747

Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:05 pm

Make your bag as distinctive as possible. "Uglify" it as much as possible.

When mom flew into SAN on Sunday, arriving at the commuter terminal, there was a seemingly never-ending parade of black rectangular suitcases, all appearing identical...

And then hers joined the parade. Wrapped in a neon-Pepto Bismol pink strap that practically glows in the dark.

While the rest of the crowd is doing the "is-that-my-bag?" dance, we were walking to the parking lot...AFTER double-checking that we had the correct bag, of course!!

This would be a good topic for the Polls & Preferences - "what do you do to identify/differentiate your luggage?". Think I will start it - please stop by and add your comments!! That might even be a good way to identify fellow a.netter's at the airport!!
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

kmh1956

Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:17 pm

I have a large round neon yellow tag attached to my bag with my initial on it......can't miss it!
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

floridaflyboy

Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:27 pm

I use yellow duct tape to put a big stripe all the way around my bag. So far, it's been on there over a year, and it has yet to come off, even after sittin in the rain, and being handled in countless airports. Plus, I never mistake my bag. Coloured duct tape is great, and it doesn't look overly tacky if done right.
Good goes around!

chase

Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:40 pm

Quoting NG1Fan (Reply 19):
Took three days to track down the other party.

I'm glad your uncle and the other party were able to reconnect! At the very end of last (Northern hemisphere) winter someone took my coat from a hook in a restaurant, and left their coat. Between the coat, leather gloves, and the remotes/key fobs to my and my wife's cars, I'm out $500. Now that it's starting to get cold again I'm hoping the other party will get my coat out of her* closet, put her hand in the pocket, and realize "hey...I don't drive a VW and a Honda!" and magically track me down via the car dealerships. But I'm not holding my breath.

* I'm male, but the coat that was left behind was a woman's. A SHORT woman's. With pink gloves in the pocket. I'm 6'2"/183cm.

Okay, back on topic...excellent idea about taping a blue X! I may try that, even though I do have a red bag - more and more of those lately!

deltairlines

Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:44 pm

There's a reason I buy blue/olive green suitcases (not as many of those floating around) and then putting a few different tags on my bag (I'll put my bright florescent yellow FlyerTalk bag tag on each suitcase, and I'll put on various frequent flyer tags that I have such as my US Silver tag and my DL Medallion tags). Makes it a bit easier to stand out in the crowd.

b777a340fan

Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:17 pm

I think someone will make a fortune by creating a luggage with flashing lights, just like on the dance floors.

FlyOakland2IAH

Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:46 pm

About 9 or 10 years ago, at SFO, I had one of those big hard shell Samsonite black suitcases. I was waiting forever for my bag... it appearently was one of the last ones off. I finally saw a clean cut man with his family leaving with what looked a lot like my bag. I got a look at the identification tag, and sure enough, it was mine. I immedately said in a loud voice, "Excuse me, I think you have my bag!" He said "uh..." and I took it back. But he then continued to the exit with his wife and kids! I looked at him, and he said with a very defensive tone something like "OK, why are you looking at me like that?" Uh... maybe because if you had the wrong bag, you might want to go back to the carosel and see if you can find yours? I do my best to keep an eye of the bags entering the carosel after that!

Type-Rated

Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:57 pm

Quoting Willbdsp (Reply 17):
WN at MDW is the only place that I've experienced where there is someone there to make sure your luggage matches your claim ticket.

I have seen WN do this at HOU too, you can almost count on it.

While we are on the subject, it's a good time to remind people to either put their destination address or their office address on it. Someone told me that if you put your home address on your luggage tag, you are advertising that you are not at home and someone could techinicly rob your house while you are gone.

I use my business card as my luggage tag for return travel and the address of the hotel for outbound travel.

I also have a bright red UA Red Carpet ID tag on my luggage.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

san88

Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:15 pm

With WN your bag is considered lost after 5 days and the claims process is up to 3000 dollars reimbursement minus deprecation of the clothes/items (with the exception of not covered items such as high valuable and electronics). It is rare that someone would steal your bag (but it happens)….usually if someone takes “your bag” by mistake because they didn’t check the name....usually they will bring it back to the airport because we would have their bag at the airport….just tie bows or bright tags to your bags and please don’t buy black bags…
sit on the Captain side when you fly into SAN

FFlyer

Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:46 pm

Quoting NG1Fan (Reply 19):
All went well until he got to the hotel and had to pay his cab - wrong wallet!

Somebody leaving his wallet further than his arm's reach, and not having it constantly in his own posession??!

noelg

Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:02 pm

it only makes since to put your destination address on your luggage rather than your home address. If your airline destination tag comes off on your outbound trip, the last place you want your luggage to be sent is back home.

Not only that - but just think, you put your home address on your luggage, and those baggage handlers see your address and know you're off on holiday - they have your full address details, and know that you're off on vacation so it's like advertising "I'm on holiday - go and burgle my house!"

Quoting B777a340fan (Reply 25):
I think someone will make a fortune by creating a luggage with flashing lights, just like on the dance floors.

But then everybody will have them, and we'll be back to square one - except that the baggage carousels will be lit up like Vegas. It's just the same with the bits of red rag everybody ties around their bags - everyone has them so what the hell is the point in putting them on to make them stand out!  Smile

SlovakFlight

Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:21 pm

That is why I tape a large blue X on all sides of my luggage. It makes it very obvious to see.

I usually use an old LOT Polish Airlines luggage tag  Smile Unless you travel to/from Poland, not many people use these.

prebennorholm

Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:24 pm

Another thing about luggage is that most people have their home address on the outside of their luggage. Since you are only traveling TO your home half the time, and the other half of the time you are traveling somewhere else, it only makes since to put your destination address on your luggage rather than your home address. If your airline destination tag comes off on your outbound trip, the last place you want your luggage to be sent is back home.

All my checked baggage always carry a tag with my full international cell phone number. It doesn't help against thieves, but anything else but that...

Apart from that I always use old, soft-bags which I have been given, with different company logos all over. Lately I have mostly used a bag from a company which folded 12 years ago. Last year coming home to CPH, and my bag came on the belt, then a group of half a dozen people started laughing loud. "See, there comes our old company, ha-ha-ha".

When I picked up the bag, then one of them came up to me and apologized and said that I was not the subject of their laugh. And then she asked where I had got that bag. We had a good long talk about good old days when I made some business with their old company.

Such a bag is a lot more practical than all those rollers which look so smart when they are new, and all look the same - like a traffic accident - after having been treated to an airport a couple of times.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

NwAflyer07

Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:58 pm

(standard black Samsonite roller)

I must load at least a dozen or more of those on each flight i work during my shifts. lol

aa1818

Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:04 pm

Quoting KL577 (Reply 6):
That's why in Nigeria nowadays everybody has to show that the luggage tag matches the part you retained during check-in. I guess problems like you described persisted in some Nigerian airports as well. That said, I wonder why there are no checks like that in any other airport in the world. It's very easy just to take someone else's luggage (with or without intent) and walk out.

American Eagle did this at SJU or at least on Sept 11th this year they did!!
never seen it done anywhere else though!!

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

AFGMEL

Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:07 pm

Quoting KL577 (Reply 6):

That's why in Nigeria nowadays everybody has to show that the luggage tag matches the part you retained during check-in.

Ah, travel in Africa. Always an experience. Two notables for me, first at HRE. The airport is too small for one 747 let alone a mix of 747s 767s etc. Luggage was all over the place, not enough carts etc. They then - get this - dumped all the luggage in rows on the apron, literally under the noses of the aircraft and we walked up and down finding our bags. Took about an hour and you had to carry them to a cart which was then pushed to the aircraft. Our bags, baby, stroller, etc 40C heat. Lovely. Circa 1990

Second at JNB circa 1988. Only one carousel working at arrivals. Almost simultaneous arrival of ZA 747 LH, TP (DC-10?) from memory. Solution? Put all the bags on one carousel of course. My god, bags falling everywhere, jamming the hatch where it goes outside again. About two hours from memory to get bags.

Went to India this year. In every instance of domestic flying our bags were waiting on the carousel. One thing that worked well there!  Big grin
B 727-44/200 732/3/4/8/9 767-3 742/3/4, 772/3, A319/20/21 332/333 342/3 , DC3/4/10, F28/50/100, ATR72

jetstar

Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:30 pm

On both mine and my wife’s luggage, I have attached to both handles of each piece of checked luggage a 4” square luggage tag made of plastic, my luggage tag is red, my wife’s is green. They are attached with tie wraps so they cannot be removed easily and I also carry a spare of each with a few extra tie wraps just in case one gets torn off.

I always stand as closest to where the luggage comes out on the conveyor so I can see when my luggage comes out and grab it as soon as possible. With these large tags, I always can spot the luggage immediately.

LH526
Crew

Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:48 pm

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 16):
Do you stand behind a line at FRA then?

No! I have never seen anyone standing in line in IAD, JFK, EWR, etc ... everywhere it was the usual "stay where you want and grab your bag" attitude

bond007

Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:54 pm

Quoting LH526 (Reply 37):
No! I have never seen anyone standing in line in IAD, JFK, EWR, etc ... everywhere it was the usual "stay where you want and grab your bag" attitude

I asked about FRA.

I know how the US does it, and I know how some European airports do it (with the line to stand behind). You commented that FRA was no different than JFK, IAD etc. in terms of a free-for-all ... but does FRA have the line where you're supposed to stand behind?

Jimbo

iflyswa

Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:28 am

Quoting NoelG (Reply 30):
Not only that - but just think, you put your home address on your luggage, and those baggage handlers see your address and know you're off on holiday - they have your full address details, and know that you're off on vacation so it's like advertising "I'm on holiday - go and burgle my house!"

In the US, I believe anyone with badged access to the AOA, and without exception, the SIDA, is required to undergo a fingerprint-based criminal history records check. I would hope anyone with designs on burgling my home wouldn't be working anywhere within the secure area of any commercial service airport, and I'd imagine most who would have a brainstorm to ransack someone's place might also have a criminal record of such behavior. I'm not saying that such a thing couldn't happen, but in general the liklihood of this sort of thing happening would seem to low given that the people trusted to work within the airport environment aren't the same types of people that regularly break into homes.

iflyswa
Opinions expressed by "iflyswa" are not those of Southwest Airlines Officers, Directors, or Employees.

xaapb

Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:39 am

It happen to me in Reynosa last summer, another passenger was walking away with my baggage, and quickly saw the Continental Airlines tag for information and run and told him that was my luggage, he checked it and apologize to me!

Quoting KL577 (Reply 6):

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 7):

In almost all airports I have been here in Mexico, at the exit of baggage claim area, there are 2 or 3 person from the airline checking the tags to match with the ones on the baggages.
Jorge Meneses

747srule

Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:42 am

On a side note,it is advisable NOT to put your home address on your luggage. Here's why: If someone (thief) gets it, they know where you live and can proceed to burglarize your home,knowing you are not there.
Jesus is the way,the truth,and the life

LH526
Crew

Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:43 am

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 38):
ut does FRA have the line where you're supposed to stand behind?

Ah, sorry.
No, FRA does not have a line! go to the carousel, rab your bag and off you go.

hangarrat

Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:43 am

A twist on this theme:

My dad recently flew to HOU late at night and landed sometime after midnight. He and four other people were on the bus to the rental car places. At the first joint, a guy and three women got off. The guy pulled a bunch of bags off the bus.

Unfortunately, one of them was my dad's. The as&h*(e dumped my dad's bag in some bushes when they figured out he had someone else's bags.

My dad didn't track down his bag and get to his motel until 4 a.m.
Spell check is a false dog

jm017

Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:05 am

Funny thing...Sunday I arrived on a flight to BWI. As I was waiting for my bag, I notice a passenger removing a bag that looked very much like mine off the belt. Now My bag is your generic black medium-sized suitcase so I am not thinking someone would remove a suitcase that's not theirs and make no effort to place it back on the baggage belt once they discover the error. But that's exactly what happened. I stormed over to the woman and without a word (but a scowl on my face) grabbed my bag and exited the terminal. Not sure if she was planning to exit the terminal with my bag. i am just glad I saw her lift it from the belt.

I try to remember to mark my bags, but i always forget until I am in the terminal awaiting my bags.

Quoting 747srule (Reply 41):
On a side note,it is advisable NOT to put your home address on your luggage. Here's why: If someone (thief) gets it, they know where you live and can proceed to burglarize your home,knowing you are not there.

Excellent point. Never again will I do that.
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

Seafleet

Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:14 am

I have always used bright yellow straps two one way and two the other so nobody could make that mistake or so I hoped.
I have to say I have never had any baggage go astray in my life even on a 32 take off and landing trip to Australia and NZ from the UK.
When I read all of the horror stories of lost luggage I think the luggage fairy has waved her wand on me.
I commuted LHR/SFO over an 18 month period courting my wife and never have I lost anything.
The only hiccup was when I was in LA during 9/11 and the Pro video camera battery belt that I had flown out with including receipt of purchase in the UK before 9/11 I was not allowed to fly back with 3 weeks after 9/11 but the same battery belt was allowed to fly Fedex the following day of my departure back to the UK. go figure it might blow up on a passenger flight but cargo crew where dispensible????
Life is like a sewer what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
roger

varigb707

Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:17 am

Would the airline be responsible for my luggage?

good luck with that. all major airlines, at major aiports, are not providing baggage check at baggage claim areas no more.
it's a jungle out there.
i feel for you. if you can, try carry-on next time.
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

PiedmontINT

Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:27 am

Quoting B777a340fan (Reply 25):

I think that would be a great idea! Make it remote controlled even so when you get to the baggage claim area you hit the switch on your remote key fob like you would have for a car and give the ramper throwing bags a heart attack when the disco lights come on!

But in all seriousness, as other posters said, once something like that caught on and everyone had one (similar to the idiotic strings people tie on) it would turn into an epileptic's worst nightmare on the carousel...

bond007

Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:47 am

Quoting LH526 (Reply 14):

Quoting LH526 (Reply 42):
No, FRA does not have a line! go to the carousel, rab your bag and off you go.

That explains there being no difference then  Wink

Jimbo

hangarrat

Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:01 am

Quoting PiedmontINT (Reply 47):
luggage with flashing lights, just like on the dance floors.

I think that would be a great idea! Make it remote controlled even so when you get to the baggage claim area you hit the switch on your remote key fob like you would have for a car

Look for it in Skymall next month.

$$$$
Spell check is a false dog

fraspotter

Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:31 am

standard black Samsonite roller

This reminds me of the movie "meet the parents"...  Wink
"Drunk drivers run stop signs. Stoners wait for them to turn green."