smolt

Incident KIX; Air Canada Forced JAL To Go Around

Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:02 pm

Reportedly, at 18:10 on 20 in Kansai Airport (KIX), Air Canada 36 (767-300) illegally taxied into the runway and forced JAL 2576 (767-300) to go around, which was approaching Runway 24L. The Air Canada had ignored tower's instruction to hold short of the runway; At first JAL's crew saw Air Canada taxiing into runway to intercept, asked the tower if they should continue approach, then the tower found the Air Canada on runway and immediately instruct the JAL to go around.
Air Canada had just responded "Position 24 left" as read back for the tower's instruction of "Hold short of runway 24L"
The Japanese official sent two men to investigate this incident.

Three things I want to comment to this news;
1. With all what the media reports, I guess that there was missed communication, not ignoring, between the Air Canada and Tower; that Air Canada mistook "hold short of runway" for "taxi into position and hold"
2. This is no minor incident and should not happen, but in reality the same thing occasionally happens. I have witnessed many years ago Air China went so much as to start take off running in spite that he was just cleared to hold short of runway. Tower cried "Stop! Stop! Stop!" then the China Air rejected take off. At this, the United 747 on approach was made to go around.
3. Medias tend to take incident the more serious when incidents continuously occurs. They report the same kind of incident, sometimes sensationally as if it were very major incident short to a great miserable, but sometimes as if it were very minor, having nothing to do with safety. I recently found in this forum that this is also true and common to other than Japan.

Any of your comments?

cf105arrow

RE: Incident KIX; Air Canada Forced JAL To Go Around

Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:26 pm

Hello Smolt,

I am new so i don't know how to include the link but you may want to read:

Runway Incursion At KIX Oct. 20th Involving AC.
Runway Incursion At KIX Oct. 20th Involving AC (by CinJA Oct 21 2007 in Civil Aviation)

Regards

ACFA

RE: Incident KIX; Air Canada Forced JAL To Go Around

Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:30 pm

Air China and China Air[lines] are two different companies from different countries. Perhaps you should be more clear in the future to avoid confusion.

Quoting SMOLT (Thread starter):
2. This is no minor incident and should not happen, but in reality the same thing occasionally happens. I have witnessed many years ago Air China went so much as to start take off running in spite that he was just cleared to hold short of runway. Tower cried "Stop! Stop! Stop!" then the China Air rejected take off. At this, the United 747 on approach was made to go around.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos