wingnutmn

UND Plane Missing

Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:21 pm

Just heard on the local news, and found in the local paper. Any students have any info? Hoping for a great outcome!

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1505141.html

WingnutMN
Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing! It's a bonus if you can fly the plane again!!

wdleiser

RE: UND Plane Missing

Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:33 pm

I hope all turns out well and safe.

meister808

Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:45 pm

The story is also available here:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/arti...es/index.cfm?id=54860§ion=homepage

and updates will be published as they are available at the Grand Forks Herald's site:

http://www.grandforksherald.com

I know the instructor well, my girlfriend has quite a few classes with the student, so, well, we're all praying, thats for sure.

As a matter of discussion, just to set the record straight, the 2006 Cessna accident (mentioned in the Star Tribune article above) in Crookston, MN was not in any way affiliated with UND, and one of the pilots on board that aircraft had recieved relatively little, if any, training from UND.

-Meister
Twin Cessna 812 Victor, Minneapolis Center, we observe your operation in the immediate vicinity of extreme precipitation

DCrawley

Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:55 pm

Quoting Meister808 (Reply 2):

I know the instructor well

I do too. I have known Annette for the close to 20 years and she is a truly wonderful, one-of-a-kind person who can light up a room with her laugh. I live just a block away from her parents (whom are both wonderful people as well) and I am praying mightily that she is found and is alright.

Quoting Meister808 (Reply 2):
we're all praying, thats for sure.

pray   pray   pray 
"Weather at our destination is 50 degrees with some broken clouds, but they'll try to have them fixed before we arrive."

joness0154

Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:07 pm

I'm thinking of them down here at Purdue and hoping all turns out well. As a fellow flight school student, I couldn't imagine how I would feel if something like that happened here, as we're pretty tight knit.

I've flown a cross country in a single engine a/c Chicago-Minneapolis-Northern Minnesota, and there wasn't much in the terms of towns or anything along my way once I got out of the Minneapolis area. I don't know how it is between St. Paul and Grand Forks, but I hope they're just hanging out by their plane in someones field, although night could make this a lot tougher  Sad

Could you UND guys/gals keep us updated please?
I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem

TWA902fly

Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:12 pm

A friend of mine was preflighting his aircraft at the same time as them, they were on their way to st paul for the long cross-country lesson, which includes some engine-out maneuvers. hopefully all is well. winds were gusting to over 40mph in the area last night. apparently they stopped in st. paul to get some sushi.

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

phelpsie87

Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:19 pm

My brother is another one was Annette's students. He was supposed to do this same flight tonight. Needless to say, it puts things in perspective. I hope both are ok.

graphic

Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:40 pm

Wow.

Duke called me about 15 mins ago with the news, I don't think I know either of them (Still pushing through 222), Really puts things into perspective that even in a training environment like we have things can go wrong. Did they go no-fly today?

Thoughts and Prayers to those involved, especially Annette and Adam.
Demand Media fails at life

thepilot

Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:00 pm

I heard about this just this morning in class. The missing plane is a Seminole, as far as I know. I haven't heard any updates here, but I am going flying (stage check actually) in about 45 minutes. Hopefully everything is OK. Will post if I hear anything new.
From YVR

Mir

Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:44 pm

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 4):
I don't know how it is between St. Paul and Grand Forks, but I hope they're just hanging out by their plane in someones field, although night could make this a lot tougher

There isn't a lot out there, no. Plus side of that is if the plane is flyable, pretty much everywhere is a passable place to land in an emergency (except for the lakes). Minus side is that it could take a while to find them. Fortunately, it's not really winter yet, so even if they are stuck in a field overnight, they won't be stuck out in freezing weather.

Best wishes from ERAU.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

SkyexRamper

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:24 pm

Seeing as how the guy was a junior, he had to have had his instrument rating and flying into Class B country, why didn't he file an IFR flight plan. Doesn't make sense to me, as I would have filed for the added safety.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

Mir

Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:16 pm

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 10):
Seeing as how the guy was a junior, he had to have had his instrument rating and flying into Class B country, why didn't he file an IFR flight plan. Doesn't make sense to me, as I would have filed for the added safety.

Some lessons have to be done VFR. Plus, if you file IFR, you have to stick to your route. If maneuvers were required in the lesson as mentioned above, they couldn't be done under IFR.

-Mir

graphic

Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:21 pm

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 10):

To answer your questions: No, he did not have his instrument rating. The way the commercial/instrument flight course at UND works there are 4 blocks of instrument training (2 of Basic Attitude Instrument Flying and 2 of IFR procedures), then one block of Commercial flight maneuvers, then the final block of multi-engine flying. At the completion of the flight course, you earn your Instrument and Multi-Engine ratings with a Commercial ASEL and AMEL ticket. The reason he didn't file an IFR flight plan is probably because the lesson he was on was a VFR cross-country. Since we're a FAR 141 program, we have to adhere to a strict Training Course Outline to meet certification standards, and if they had gone on an IFR flight plan, they couldn't complete the lesson as that wasn't prescribed for the lesson. Hope that clears things up.

bomber996

Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:27 pm

Authorities are now saying they found a small plane in a swamp on the way back to Grand Forks, but they cant confirm if it's the UND plane. As a student in the Aviation Program here at UND I hope everything is ok.

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1505141.html - same link as above, but it's been updated.

Peace  box 
Two biggest lies in aviation... "I'm from the FAA and I'm here to help you." & "Traffic in sight."

Type-Rated

Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:30 pm

I certainly do hope that they find them ok. If those high winds were headwinds then they could have had fuel issues.
Does UND teach multi-engine directly after the student obtains their private ticket?
I do think that this UND has far too many accidents for its size.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

joness0154

Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:45 pm

Quoting TWA902fly (Reply 5):

A friend of mine was preflighting his aircraft at the same time as them, they were on their way to st paul for the long cross-country lesson, which includes some engine-out maneuvers. hopefully all is well. winds were gusting to over 40mph in the area last night. apparently they stopped in st. paul to get some sushi.

I sincerely hope that they weren't practicing engine-out maneuvers at night, it just adds more risk.

Again, best wishes to the student and instructor, hopefully they're hiking their way to the nearest town.

phelpsie87

Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:52 pm

Quoting Type-Rated (Reply 14):
Does UND teach multi-engine directly after the student obtains their private ticket?

Too many?? Like 1 in the past 4 years...and that one was when the kid killed himself. If you are referring to the accident almost a year ago, while they had been UND students, they rented an aircraft outside UND and went flying without an instructor. IIRC, one of the kids recently soloed, and the other was a recent PPL. Also, UND does not teach muti right after private, in fact there is at least year between when you get your private and when you start your multi.

TWA902fly

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:30 am

I take back my comment about the winds being high, i checked and it seems that they had died down by night time. Also,

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 15):
I sincerely hope that they weren't practicing engine-out maneuvers at night, it just adds more risk.

I am pretty sure every 325 student (this course) has to practice night single-engine operations. I know i did it why i flew on lesson 86 (the one these two were doing), down to sioux falls and watertown.

'902

planespotting

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:32 am

Quoting Type-Rated (Reply 14):

Please justify how you reached this conclusion. As Phelpsie87 pointed out, there have been very few accidents in the past decade - the last one involving a UND student didn't even involve a UND aircraft.

Don't make extremely over broad statements about collegiate flight programs without backing them up - especially one as large and respected as UND (which has a large contingent of Fighting Sioux here on a-net).

Prepare for the flaming...
Do you like movies about gladiators?

Mir

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:34 am

Quoting Phelpsie87 (Reply 16):
Like 1 in the past 4 years...and that one was when the kid killed himself. If you are referring to the accident almost a year ago, while they had been UND students, they rented an aircraft outside UND and went flying without an instructor. IIRC, one of the kids recently soloed, and the other was a recent PPL.

Even if we throw out the one from last year (which I don't think we should), that still leaves this one and one from a few years back when a student went on his 221 long solo and fell asleep at the controls, crashing into a field (he survived). That's two serious accidents within a span of four or five years. While it's not a horrific record, it's nothing to be proud of either.

-Mir

joness0154

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:53 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 19):

Even if we throw out the one from last year (which I don't think we should), that still leaves this one and one from a few years back when a student went on his 221 long solo and fell asleep at the controls, crashing into a field (he survived). That's two serious accidents within a span of four or five years. While it's not a horrific record, it's nothing to be proud of either.

-Mir

Add one more
This summer I wrote the factual accident report of a UND helicopter that was involved in an accident. Both of the pilots survived though.

Anyways, we should probably get back on topic and hope for the best for the two individuals involved.

[Edited 2007-10-24 17:53:52]

DCrawley

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:59 am

Rest In Peace to Annette Klosterman and Adam Ostapenko. Annette, you are a wonderful person who will be missed very much. I will never forgot the time we spent together growing up, playing at the creek, playing in band in high school, and attending youth group together. I'll miss ya.

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=268140
"Weather at our destination is 50 degrees with some broken clouds, but they'll try to have them fixed before we arrive."

thepilot

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:02 am

There was an announcement less than two hours ago that the wreckage was found and that both occupants were killed. The airport is closed tomorrow. I just knew Annette's face, didn't know either of them personally. I hold all those affected by this tragedy in my thoughts and prayers.

Will
From YVR

planespotting

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:05 am

Quoting DCrawley (Reply 21):
Rest In Peace to Annette Klosterman and Adam Ostapenko. Annette, you are a wonderful person who will be missed very much. I will never forgot the time we spent together growing up, playing at the creek, playing in band in high school, and attending youth group together. I'll miss ya.

This is very sad. As a former university aviation student, this is one of those "there but for the grace of God go I" situations. I got my Multi in a Seminole, probably like most students in programs like that across the country.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

Riddle274

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:10 am

From all of us here at Daytona Beach Riddle, our deepest sympathies. We may be competitors at times but we all know that our collegiate aviation community is quite small. We will be thinking about you and if UND needs anything - you certainly know where to find us.

In memory . . . RIP

joness0154

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:14 am

Quoting DCrawley (Reply 21):

God Bless the both of them. If it's any consolation, they were doing something that they both loved.

[Edited 2007-10-24 18:17:11]

Mir

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:16 am

Quoting Thepilot (Reply 22):
There was an announcement less than two hours ago that the wreckage was found and that both occupants were killed.

Nothing you ever want to hear. My thoughts go out to their families, friends, and the larger UND community.  Sad

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds...and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of...wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up, the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, nor even eagle flew.
And while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space...
...put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

tombstone 

-Mir

cbphoto

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:37 am

Quoting Riddle274 (Reply 24):
From all of us here at Daytona Beach Riddle, our deepest sympathies. We may be competitors at times but we all know that our collegiate aviation community is quite small. We will be thinking about you and if UND needs anything - you certainly know where to find us.

In memory . . . RIP

I second that from all of us at the Prescott ERAU campus. I know we have had our fair shares of tragedy, this summer being the most recent one. But it is never easy to loose students, peers, friends and most important loved ones! I wish the entire UND community the best of wishes in these hard times!!
RIP fellow aviators!!
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

onetogo

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:38 am

Thoughts and deepest sympathy from those of us at Purdue. Terrible set of circumstances.

JewPilot

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:45 am

This comes as a shock since I plan on attending UND in the fall of '09. I find it interesting that they instructor decided to go up with the weather conditions. I work at Crystal Airport (KMIC), and I checked our (Thunderbird Aviation's) schedule, and most of the flights for the evening had been cancelled due to extreme wind gusts. I am quite sad, and my hopes and prayers go out to anyone connected to the two individuals who lost their lives in this horrible event.

JewPilot

P.S. If anyone out-of-state is wondering, there are quite a few decent-sized airports between Minneapolis and Grand Forks, such as St. Cloud Rgnl, Brainerd Lakes Rgnl, Alexandria, and even Hector International in Fargo.
Go Sioux!

cbphoto

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:02 am

Quoting JewPilot (Reply 29):
I find it interesting that they instructor decided to go up with the weather conditions. I work at Crystal Airport (KMIC), and I checked our (Thunderbird Aviation's) schedule, and most of the flights for the evening had been cancelled due to extreme wind gusts. I am quite sad, and my hopes and prayers go out to anyone connected to the two individuals who lost their lives in this horrible event.

Quoting TWA902fly (Reply 17):
I take back my comment about the winds being high, i checked and it seems that they had died down by night time. Also,

As was noted the winds had died down in the evening, around the time the plane would have gone down. Doing maneuvers and all is not difficult to do in windy conditions, Landings is what is difficult in the heavy wind conditions. Now if you really want to get into detail about single engine maneuvers and VMC demos, then yes high winds might have played a critical factor just as the aircraft approached the stall speed. I dont want to get into details of this though, and this is not the time or the place to do it! The fact is it is way to early to tell what happened and still a sore subject for some I am sure!!
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

joness0154

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:03 am

Quoting JewPilot (Reply 29):

This comes as a shock since I plan on attending UND in the fall of '09. I find it interesting that they instructor decided to go up with the weather conditions. I work at Crystal Airport (KMIC), and I checked our (Thunderbird Aviation's) schedule, and most of the flights for the evening had been cancelled due to extreme wind gusts. I am quite sad, and my hopes and prayers go out to anyone connected to the two individuals who lost their lives in this horrible event.

While it was gusty out, I have a hard time believing weather would have anything to do with this accident. Usually you find winds and gusts involved in landing/takeoff accidents.

Here is the weather for the Little Falls airport last night during the time they were flying:
METAR KLXL 231935Z AUTO 30018G25KT 10SM CLR 14/02 A2980 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 231955Z AUTO 30021G29KT 10SM CLR 14/02 A2981 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 232015Z AUTO 31014G22KT 10SM SCT065 13/02 A2983 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 232035Z AUTO 31017G24KT 10SM SCT060 SCT070 14/01 A2984 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 232055Z AUTO 31019G30KT 10SM SCT060 SCT070 13/00 A2986 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 232115Z AUTO 31019G27KT 10SM SCT060 SCT070 13/00 A2987 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 232135Z AUTO 30019G28KT 10SM SCT060 SCT070 13/00 A2988 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 232155Z AUTO 34016G23KT 303V003 10SM SCT060 SCT070 13/00 A2990 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 232215Z AUTO 32013G21KT 10SM SCT060 SCT070 12/00 A2992 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 232235Z AUTO 32009G17KT 10SM SCT060 SCT070 12/00 A2994 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 232255Z AUTO 32010G20KT 10SM SCT060 BKN075 12/00 A2995 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 232315Z AUTO 32011G26KT 10SM SCT060 SCT075 12/M01 A2996 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 232335Z AUTO 32013G24KT 10SM CLR 11/M02 A2998 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 232355Z AUTO 32011G20KT 10SM CLR 11/M02 A3000 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 240015Z AUTO 32013G19KT 293V353 10SM CLR 11/M02 A3001 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 240035Z AUTO 32011G18KT 10SM CLR 10/M02 A3002 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 240055Z AUTO 32008G16KT 10SM CLR 10/M02 A3003 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 240115Z AUTO 32007KT 10SM CLR 09/M01 A3004 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 240135Z AUTO 32007KT 10SM CLR 09/M01 A3005 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 240155Z AUTO 33006G14KT 10SM CLR 08/00 A3006 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 240215Z AUTO 31007KT 10SM CLR 08/00 A3007 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 240235Z AUTO 00000KT 10SM CLR 07/00 A3007 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 240255Z AUTO 30004KT 10SM CLR 06/00 A3009 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 240315Z AUTO 32006KT 10SM CLR 07/00 A3009 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 240335Z AUTO 33011G17KT 10SM CLR 07/00 A3010 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 240355Z AUTO 33009G17KT 10SM CLR 07/00 A3011 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 240415Z AUTO 31009G16KT 10SM CLR 07/00 A3012 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 240435Z AUTO 32007G15KT 10SM CLR 06/00 A3012 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 240455Z AUTO 33006KT 10SM CLR 06/00 A3013 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 240515Z AUTO 33006KT 10SM CLR 06/00 A3013 RMK AO2

Baron52ta

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:21 am

I would also like to add my sympathies to those listed, it is always a sad day when a fellow pilot is lost. I did my flight training in TN several years ago and we lost some of the student body there too

luisca

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:43 am

This is really sad, As a flight instructor candidate and working in a training environment as a SOF it really put things into perspective. RIP from Florida Tech.

[Edited 2007-10-24 20:02:11]
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

SirDeath

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:46 am

A quote in my heart to our friends, the lost aviators:

"We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved good-bye and 'slipped the surly bonds of earth' to 'touch the face of God.'"
--Ronald Reagan

Be well friends, and godspeed in whatever comes next...

burnsie28

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:46 am

Just found out that apparently a Pinnacle CRJ-200 reported HEAVY unexpected turbulance in the same place where they went down just shortly before.

sluger020889

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:50 am

Never something you want to hear about. Especially when I have a night cross country tomorrow night...

From the flight program at Jacksonville University, our deepest sympathy.

Keep on flying.

Joey
I would love to fly a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong!

graphic

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:56 am

Today I was trying to get on an observation out at UND and when I signed the paper, my current instructor was the SOF, and FOX News was there with a news crew trying to get on the ramp while at the same time the red line was ringing off the hook, I think she had a long day.

This is really crazy, tomorrow is no-fly. I remember when the two students crashed out in Crookston, one of them was in my PPL ground school. This sort of thing happens every so often and I guess it teaches us that if we love aviation enough, we have to accept that the industry eats its own. We can't get down on the fact that everyone who starts their ASEL PPL will live till 65 and a nice water cannon salute, because if we do, then the passion for flight is gone. What we can do is take a moment and remember the good times, and remember that in the end they flew on to greater skies.

Take care guys, may you find 10SM, 00000KT, and SKC wherever your flights may take you.

futurecaptain

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:00 am

Quoting Graphic (Reply 12):

I flew all my night xc's for my commercial license on an IFR flight plan. I made a VFR flight plan and navigated by visual aids mostly, but the added safety it brings incase something happens is something to consider.

Prayers to the lost pilots from Spartan College.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

graphic

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:03 am

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 38):
I flew all my night xc's for my commercial license on an IFR flight plan. I made a VFR flight plan and navigated by visual aids mostly, but the added safety it brings incase something happens is something to consider.

I know what you mean, I'm just saying that for this lesson its a VFR cross country, and you need to complete the lesson to move on. I have no further comment on that subject.

scrubbsywg

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:07 am

condolences from winnipeg.

Mir

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:08 am

Quoting Graphic (Reply 37):
FOX News was there with a news crew trying to get on the ramp

Is that the national FoxNews or just the local FOX affiliate?

-Mir

MidEx216

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:16 am

Oh wow, that's really sad. I have a friend who is flying at UND - it wasn't her, but I just talked to her about it. She said that she had just gotten done flying this morning, and when she went in her ground school class, that's all they talked about. There was a lot of talk about why the ELT never went off.

Apparently the plane was in communication with air traffic, and air traffic (we think) knew there was some sort of problem. They got a garbled message, and the plane never came to the airport. When the flight plan was still open at 0145, they started to alert the smaller airports in the area, in case they had landed without communication.

In any case, it's horrible to hear of more people being lost doing what they love. It's hard for people who are even just interested in aviation, hard for me as a student pilot, but I can only guess how hard it is for the other students at UND and other schools across the country to hear that one of their own has been lost doing the same thing we do every day.

Acey559

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:17 am

The college I go to is in the same NIFA region as UND, and we just had our regional competition a couple weeks ago up in St. Cloud, MN. Even if they're not the friendliest bunch at competition, I respect all of the UND students. You guys have a great program, and I'd definitely fly up front with any one of you. Our sympathies from the University of Dubuque.

Halcyon

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:19 am

What a sad event.  Sad My heart goes out to the friends and family of the two young people, and everyone at UND. Condolences from RMC all around. At least they passed away while doing what they loved.

TWA902fly

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:49 am

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 31):
METAR KLXL 240315Z AUTO 32006KT 10SM CLR 07/00 A3009 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 240335Z AUTO 33011G17KT 10SM CLR 07/00 A3010 RMK AO2
METAR KLXL 240355Z AUTO 33009G17KT 10SM CLR 07/00 A3011 RMK AO2

Around the time of their crash (sometime between 10:15pm and 11:00pm) it does not look like the weather was very awful. wind gusts of 17 knots should have zero effect on a flight... so i wouldn't blame it on that.

However the CRJ200 severe turbulance comment is new to me.

N327ND was one of UND's newest Seminoles, equipped with an Avadyne glass cockpit. The plane suffered a bird strike yesterday which caused the exhaust stack on one of the engines to be replaced (i dont know which engine). Do not be quick to jump to conclusions however.

I heard this from someone that works at the airport.

Until further notice, take it as a rumor.

'902

FlyMKG

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:53 am

RIP from Western Michigan University.
Essential Power, Operating Generator.

scrumpy492003

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:07 am

As a former instructor, I / we all know that sometimes we can get into scary situations BUT must not let our students know it, because hopefully they can learn from them.

However,
Even the most mundane situations can go horribly wrong.

I trust that these pilots have gone to that place in the sky where stories are swapped whilst kicking the tyres, and that they will continue to sit in the back seat of training aircraft and somehow impart that extra bit of advice to other pilots when things are not looking good, in the hopes of averting another tragedy.

My heart goes out to those families and friends involved.

Peter Walker
Formerly of Jordan Flight Training,Calgary
peter b95 c-ghfu

Avro7

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:09 am

Sorry to hear about this tragedy.

I suppose I'm out of touch with the state of the flight training but I have to ask- doesn't it seem having a 22- year old instructor conducting cross-country flights at night with an inexperienced student seem a little bit risky? I know some people have better judgment when they're 18 than the rest of us at the age of 30 but there's no substitute or experience.

[Edited 2007-10-24 21:16:48]

graphic

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:34 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 41):

Is that the national FoxNews or just the local FOX affiliate?

Probably the affiliate.