Yflyer
Topic Author

Pictures Of "dead" Airports

Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:17 pm

I have this strange fasination with old, unused buildings. I was looking at the website for the Detroit City Airport and noticed they have photos of the passenger terminal. (Scroll down to the "Passenger Terminal" heading and look at the links where it says "take a tour" to see them for yourself.) Seeing those vacant ticket counters, the idle baggage carousel, and the empty waiting areas just has this sort of erie yet intreguing quality that makes me wonder what it was like there when they had scheduled passenger service.

So now I'm wondering if you guys can point me to pictures of other "dead" airports (to borrow a phrase from deadmalls.com). Either picurres of airports that formerly had passenger service but no longer do, airports that have been closed completely (like Stapleton or Kai Tak), or pictures of unused coucourses in formerly busy hubs like PIT or STL.

TuRbUleNc3

RE: Pictures Of "dead" Airports

Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:27 pm

Funnily enough, i have some pics of the abandoned airport in Nicosia, Cyprus

Here ya go
http://www.pbase.com/alexis/nic

GMUAirbusA320

Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:29 pm

That's amazing that the Cyprian airport was just ABANDONED like that. AMAZING!

simairlinenet

Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:31 pm

charliedelta

Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:41 pm

Know what you mean about the evocative, eeriness of abandoned buildings. Have you seen the Fabulous Ruins of Detroit? There are a couple of sites. OK, not airports but you may still be interested:

http://www.forgottendetroit.com/

http://detroityes.com/home.htm

KELPkid

Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:43 pm

Great site for abandoned airports here in the US, with plenty of pictures:

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/

Enjoy!
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

joness0154

Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:45 pm

Yflyer and others, I think you will enjoy this website immensely, I know I have:

I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem

B747forever

Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:51 pm

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 6):
Great site for abandoned airports here in the US, with plenty of pictures:

Great link.

All this pics of abandoned airports makes you cry.  crying 
Work Hard, Fly Right

silentbob

Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:55 pm

I can't believe there haven't been any PIT jokes yet.

cf105arrow

Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:16 pm

No doubt that Montreal's Mirabel Airport is the biggest and newest dead airport and probably died the quickest.  tombstone 

The following link has pics and its history.

http://www.airodyssey.net/articles/mirabel.html

Tango-Bravo

Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:21 pm

Here is a link to an excellent site having photos and descriptions of airport terminals of the past in the U.S.:

http://oldterminals.topcities.com/index.html

Someone83

Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:28 pm

Oslo Fornebu FBU, closed October 1998. These photos was taken in May 2006

http://forum.scanair.no/read.php?TID=11311

antonovman

Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:04 pm

Quoting CF105Arrow (Reply 10):
No doubt that Montreal's Mirabel Airport is the biggest and newest dead airport and probably died the quickest. tombstone

The following link has pics and its history.

http://www.airodyssey.net/articles/m....html

I have flown in and out of this airport many times
What about that fantastic hotel that was linked to the terminal ?
You have to walk over glass walkways with water running underneath, it was fascinating

jsnww81

Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:06 pm

Quoting Someone83 (Reply 12):

Great shots of Fornebu. Looking at Google Maps, there doesn't seem to be much left of the FBU airfield.

The "abandoned airfields" site has data on hundreds of small and mid-size airports that have been abandoned, but there are very few "big" airports that have been closed. Probably the best known -

* Oslo Fornebu
* Munich Riem (almost nothing left of it today apart from the old control tower)
* Athens Hellenikon (some of the runways are left and the terminals are still standing)
* Denver Stapleton (ditto for Munich Riem)
* Austin Bergstrom (most of the runways are still intact, for the time being... terminal is demolished)
* Guangzhou Baiyun (old runway is now an expressway)
* Jakarta Kemayoran (both runways are now major roads and the terminals are long gone)
* Hong Kong Kai Tak (almost nothing left)
* Fort Worth Greater Southwest
* Gothenburg Torslanda (not much left here either)
* Malmo Bulltofta (completely redeveloped; literally nothing left except the old radar tower)

I'm sure I've forgotten a few here.

avalon2862

Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:26 pm

Your post reminds me of my childhood growing up in Greenville, SC. There is an old US Air Force base in Greenville that was formerly known as Donaldson Air Force Base. It was once used as a B-25 training base and later on as a MAC base with a substantial fleet of Globemasters. My father was a pilot stationed there at the end of his military career and he retired soon after the base was closed in the late 60's.

When the base was closed, the Air Force pretty much left it to rot... a few companies moved into the property (Proctor & Gamble, 3M, LTV and Lockheed) in the early 80's but in the 20 years between, it was pretty much a ghost of an air base! 2 extremely large runways, several large 50's era hangars and lots of abandoned base offices. I learned to play golf at the old base golf course and I even learned to drive a car on the miles of abandoned taxiways there!

What I remember the most were the abandoned underground air-raid/bomb shelters sprinkled all over the base. As kids, my friends and I used to explore the old base and, in particular, those underground bunkers! Those were great days!

When I was 15, my father taught me to fly at that base (the runways are still open to this day) and I earned my pilot's license at that very field. That old abandoned Air Force base was the catalyst that fueled my love of aviation! I spent so much of my childhood playing there - dreaming of speeding down the runwy in my own plane, then lifting of into the beautiful southern sky and buzzing my parents house less than a mile away!

About 5 years ago, I flew my own plane back to that very field for a visit to see my aging father in Greenville. After parking the plane, I spent a couple of hours just wandering around the base, re-living my childhood memories of the place! There are a few large companies with manufacturing facilities there, but it still remains a very large, un-spoiled country-side airbase. There are farms on all sides of it and it looks very much as it did when I was a child!

You should look it up.. it has a great history!

PanAm747

Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:43 pm

http://www.airchive.com/SITE%20PAGES/PLANE-DIA.html

Some pictures of the new Denver International Airport as well as Stapleton just after it closed.

Also, if you google map and satellite Denver, Colorado, you will find that parts of the old Stapleton are still visible. The pictures are a bit outdated, but it shows how suburbia is taking over the area like kudzu vine.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

OA260

Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:49 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 2):
Really horrible pictures.

Yes very sad , I have seen it myself and its not nice.

Quoting GMUAirbusA320 (Reply 3):
That's amazing that the Cyprian airport was just ABANDONED like that. AMAZING!

Not really amazing!!! If troops were invading and dropping bombs them I'm sure you wouldn't stay !!! The airport is abandoned because its near the ceasefire line between the Greek and Turkish part. It would be great if one day a peace settlement happens and that Nicosia could be opened to serve both communities!!!

A350

Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:53 pm

Quoting Jsnww81 (Reply 14):

Soon we'll have to add THF to your list  crying 

A350

Jeremy

Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:34 pm

* Austin Bergstrom (most of the runways are still intact, for the time being... terminal is demolished)

Gosh, I hope not!

You are probably meaning Mueller?
You are now free to be sexually harassed and then terminated for filing a complaint--Southwest Airlines to me.

cygnuschicago

Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:46 pm

Quoting Yflyer (Thread starter):
I have this strange fasination with old, unused buildings

You may want to search for the Cincinnati Subway. Cincinnati is the the only city in the US that built a subway system and then never used it. There are a few good sites about it, including the history and some "urban infiltration" photos.

Other good abandoned projects are the Rochester Subway and the Chicago Tunnels

In addition, I think Dulles has a fully completed railway station under one of the terminals that has never been used.
If you cannot do the math, your opinion means squat!

Mortyman

Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:53 pm

Quoting Someone83 (Reply 12):

http://forum.scanair.no/read.php?TID...11311

My god... It's so strange to see the airport abandoned liked this. brings back so many memories...

These pictures are a bit old though. There is alot of new developments taking place at the spot now.

Dougloid

Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:07 pm

Hadley Airport, South Plainfield New Jersey.

It was still there when I was a kid, but all that's left is the name of Hadley Road.

http://www.airmailpioneers.org/history/HadleyField.htm

You can pull up where it used to be on Google Earth but no more is left of the place.

Other favorites are MCAS Tustin, MCAS El Toro annd Terminal Island NAS
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

srbmod

Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:10 pm

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 7):
Yflyer and others, I think you will enjoy this website immensely, I know I have:

Great site there. I actually found out about an old airport right by my office. Like many old airports, it's got a subdivision on it now.

I also found out stuff about the airport that was five minutes from where I lived at from 1986-1995.

Quoting Tango-Bravo (Reply 11):
Here is a link to an excellent site having photos and descriptions of airport terminals of the past in the U.S.:

http://oldterminals.topcities.com/in....html

Another great site. I never really knew much about the old ATL terminal until I found out about that site. Some of the history of some major airports on there are quite interesting to read. I had actually never knew about Fort Worth Greater Southwest International Airport (GSW) until I visited the site (I actually found myself looking for the bits and pieces of that airport the last time I flew into/out of DFW.). As a fan of Mid-Century architecture, the site also appeals to me in regards to the architecture as well.

planespotting

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:02 pm

I live about 2 miles away from the former NAS Glenview.

NAS_Glenview" target=_blank>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAS_Glenview

It was a fully functional Naval Air Station until the 1995, with an 8,000 foot runway in the middle of North Shore suburbia. In the later part of it's life, it was used mainly for staging P-3 Orions for North Atlantic ASW.

Anywho, it was decommissioned, torn down, and turned into a very nice development known as "The Glen." There's a bunch of really nice houses and apartments, along with a long street (named Patriot Blvd.) with many restaraunts, bars and shops. It's very quaint.

http://glenview.il.us/glen/

They kept the control tower up and I believe it's on the national historic registry.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

767Lover

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:08 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 23):
I never really knew much about the old ATL terminal until I found out about that site.

I have some memories from childhood where I was in an airport. A couple of years ago, when I saw that site, I realized my memories were of the old ATL. I distinctly remembered the two-level atrium and the rotundas.

Toast

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:13 pm

Hey guys, fantastic links. I'd never imagine I would stumble upon so many people who share my fascination for abandoned buildings. Nice to see I'm not the only weirdo of this kind!  bigthumbsup 
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

7e72004

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:15 pm

Those are some great links...thanks! I wish there were some pictures of the insides of some of them. Obviously, the only way that would happen, would be if a construction/demolition/official took them *lol* ANyone have any old pictures of PHL from when the Blue/green color concourses were prevalent?
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

7e72004

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:17 pm

P.S. Anyone have any old IND pictures?

skywatch

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:47 pm

Austin Bergstrom (most of the runways are still intact, for the time being... terminal is demolished)

Assuming you meant Mueller, the runways are mostly gone now too. In its place are shops, apartments, and a huge hospital. I think some of the only significant traces of the airport that are left are some old hangers that are now used as movie studios.

---Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

Tornado82

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:57 pm

Quoting 7E72004 (Reply 28):
P.S. Anyone have any old IND pictures?

Someone better start taking some pics of the current IND, because it won't be around much longer either.

Quoting Silentbob (Reply 9):

No, only you.  Yeah sure

LAXspotter

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:59 pm

Well, I was watching a video about Aviation before WWII in Los Angeles, and I learned something  Smile

LAX was not the main airport serving Los Angeles, it was Grand Central Air Terminal in Glendale, CA.

LAX was known as mines field, and Burbank/Glendale -Bob Hope Airport was known United Airport.

Grand Central Air Terminal is a place most people dont know about

Another defunct airport was the one used by Howard Hughes, its in West LA, halfway between SMO and LAX, now its just open land.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

YLWbased

Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:13 pm

Hong Kong (Kai Tak) International

Big version: Width: 300 Height: 400 File size: 22kb

Old Airport Fire Station

Hong Kong is not China. Not better or worse, just different.

bristolflyer

Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:31 pm

Quoting Yflyer (Thread starter):
I have this strange fasination with old, unused buildings.

To take your fascination off at a tangent, how about 'dead' ski areas?

http://www.nelsap.org/
Fortune favours the brave

SB

Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:44 pm

I really miss Mirabel... It was (is) such a nice, airy terminal, and you didn't have to walk miles to get to your aircraft, a cool bus would do the job for you. Boarding used to be a real breeze. Such a shame they didn't develop it properly.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Doug Bull
View Large View Medium

Photo © Maxime Prévost-Desjardins

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

S.
"Confirm leave the hold and maintain 320kts?!"

ScarletHarlot

Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:53 pm

That's truly fascinating. I've spent lots of time at Delta's offices in ATL and had no idea that I was on or near the site of their old terminal. I've taken the on-ramps to 85 many times and had no clue of their old use! I have walked from Delta's main offices along Toffie Terrace to the old Eastern hangar - no idea I was walking over the old terminal site!

I wish I had my old pictures of Thunder Bay - there was an old 1950s terminal there that was torn down for a new terminal in the mid 90s. I think I even have pictures taken from up in the old tower.
But that was when I ruled the world

dtwclipper

Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:55 pm

Quoting Charliedelta (Reply 5):
Know what you mean about the evocative, eeriness of abandoned buildings. Have you seen the Fabulous Ruins of Detroit? There are a couple of sites. OK, not airports but you may still be interested:

The site is very interesting, I've had it bookmarked for some time.

What is more interesting however, is many of the building they talk about have been purchased and are being renovated, most notably the Book Cadillac Hotel. It will re open next year as a Hotel and Condo. My neighbor here purchased 2 units.

My dads old building at 600 Woodward is also being turned into apartments. It is hard to imagine, but there is a lot of rehab going on in the downtown area. I doubt I will ever see a great city in my life time, but never the less it is wonderful to see!
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

7e72004

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:08 am

I have plenty of pictures of the current IND terminal. But i think it will be around for a while, even when the new terminal opens. It will be weird though to see it sitting empty when the move happens.

Msl747

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:48 am

This has been a very fascinating read! I have many fond memories of the Old International Terminal (Terminal 2) at SFO. I loved the area were you could look down and see the arriving passengers retrieving their baggage. It was always fun trying to spot the relatives coming in from LHR... They are set to renovating it in the next couple of years. Here are some pics of how it sits today:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/Msl747/OldTerm-Ext.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/Msl747/OldTermTicketing.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/Msl747/OldTermInt-2.jpg
Commercial Pilot Certificate: Single and Multi-Engine Land; Instrument Airplane

DMAJ7TH

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:16 am

Quoting 7E72004 (Reply 27):
Those are some great links...thanks! I wish there were some pictures of the insides of some of them. Obviously, the only way that would happen, would be if a construction/demolition/official took them *lol* ANyone have any old pictures of PHL from when the Blue/green color concourses were prevalent?

http://phlairline.com

Himmelstormer

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:17 am

Fascinating thread. I too have a fascination of empty, abandoned places. I often think of what went on?, what happened?, who were the people? And what was it like on the last day of operation? Anyway, here is a link to a really cool "Modern Ruins" site:

http://www.oboylephoto.com/ruins/index.htm

Thenoflyzone

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:25 am

checkmark 

Lol
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

QF108

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:35 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 22):
Other favorites are MCAS Tustin, MCAS El Toro annd Terminal Island NAS

What is left at El Toro today? Caught the Surfliner from Anaheim to San Diego with an Ex-Girlfriend about 6-7 years ago, and you could tell that it had been an airport, old runways, hangars still there etc. Had never heard of El Toro until I went past it on that trip, and was quick to look it up when I got home to Oz. Are there plans for the site ?

Quoting Msl747 (Reply 38):
Old International Terminal (Terminal 2) at SFO

Retro City, looks like a set out of one of the Planet of the Apes movies !

Mark
Blessed are the Cheesemakers !

Pellegrine

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:01 am

Quoting CF105Arrow (Reply 10):
No doubt that Montreal's Mirabel Airport is the biggest and newest dead airport and probably died the quickest.

I find the Mirabel story especially odd and fascinating in a way. A whole airport built for nothing...or at least built decades too soon. A proper highway/high speed train going downtown could have saved that development.
oh boy, here we go!!!

pitops

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:18 am

Give it time.
Ground Ops, Southwest Airlines, CMH

fxra

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:17 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 25):
I have some memories from childhood where I was in an airport. A couple of years ago, when I saw that site, I realized my memories were of the old ATL. I distinctly remembered the two-level atrium and the rotundas.

I also have some vague memories of the old ATL terminal. I mostly remember the rotundas. I also remember looking out the windows of the "new" terminal at the old tower and admin building, in that blue color it was. I remember when it was taken down. I've lately gotten a kick telling pilots who fly into ATL about the crossed runway configuration. Most think I'm BS-ing them, but I show them where the remains (the wide area at then east end of 9R/27L and randomd ramp space by the old Easter/Delta North hangar) are today and get wows.

I also found out about Ft Gillem's runway from my either my older brothers or friends, they used to be allowed to drag race n them. I had no idea there was strip there. It can still be seen on arrivals into ATL.
Visualize Whirled Peas

7e72004

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:31 am

Does anyone remember the Eastern Airlines gates at PHL. If i remember correctly, the gate areas had these ugly brown walls with white print listing the destinations served. I also want to say the carpet was also ugly as hell. THen of course, there were the green/blue concourses. I found a few pictures of those--one of them has a Mexicana 727 parked at the end of B.  Smile

ualcsr

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:48 am

Maybe someone can shed some light on this. A few years ago, I remember watching a segment on "60 Minutes", "20/20" or some show about a big airport built in the central US with the "build and they will come" theory, but which never amounted to much. I'm thinking that it may have been in Missouri and was called something like "Airport of the Americas". Anyone know the airport?

BTW, great (and sometimes sad) pictures!!!

flybynight

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:33 am

It's too bad Fornebu wasn't improved. They could have extended the runways and made it a world-class airport a helluva lot closer to Oslo.
Heia Norge!

phatfarmlines

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:39 am

Quoting Ualcsr (Reply 47):
Maybe someone can shed some light on this. A few years ago, I remember watching a segment on "60 Minutes", "20/20" or some show about a big airport built in the central US with the "build and they will come" theory, but which never amounted to much. I'm thinking that it may have been in Missouri and was called something like "Airport of the Americas". Anyone know the airport?

I believe the airport you are talking about is BLV. As you can see, it is currently used by Cessnas.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gary Chambers

Regarding the SFO Terminal 2 ticket counters in the photos several posts above this post, that seems to be alot of counters for a 12-gate (guessing here) terminal. Was Terminal 2 not set up for common-use operations even in the 1990s?

Yflyer
Topic Author

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:55 am

In all seriousness, I would be interested in seeing pictures of what PIT looks like nowadays. I've read descriptions of it here, but I've never actually been there before. I imagine it would be similar to being in a shopping mall where most of the stores have moved out, but there are still a few stores hanging on. The same goes for STL and any other declining hubs.

Quoting Tango-Bravo (Reply 11):

http://oldterminals.topcities.com/index.html

Great site! I wasted way too much time reading it today. The entry about GSO made me wonder if anyone has any pictures of INT from when they had airline service. And for that matter does anyone have any pictures of what the former Terminal B at RDU looked like before it became part of Terminal A?