Beaucaire
Topic Author

LH Prepared To Invest In Malpensa...

Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:41 am

DJ Lufthansa Ready To Invest In Malpensa In Alitalia Buy -Report

Deutsche Lufthansa AG (LHA.XE) is ready to invest in Milan's Malpensa airport as part of its possible bid for Italian lossmaking airline Alitalia SpA (AZA.MI), daily Il Sole-24 Ore reports Thursday without citing sources.

The German carrier told Alitalia's Chairman Maurizio Prato, as well as the head of the company that owns Malpensa, that it also plans to keep an unspecified number of intercontinental flights from that airport, the newspaper writes.

Italy is seeking a buyer for Alitalia, which is losing between EUR1 million and EUR2 million a day and has run up net debt of over EUR1 billion. The Italian Treasury owns 49.9% of Alitalia.

Newspaper Web site: http://www.ilsole24ore.com
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

stylo777

RE: LH Prepared To Invest In Malpensa...

Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:48 am

smart move as this makes totaly sense!
AZ cut almost all longhaul destinations out of MXP and operates them through FCO. To avoid backtracking the North Italian people will prefer a connection flight via FRA, MUC and ZRH...

dutchjet

Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:54 pm

Quoting Beaucaire (Thread starter):
DJ Lufthansa Ready To Invest In Malpensa In Alitalia Buy -Report

This is interesting.....I wonder if which ""brand"" LH will utilize to expand services and launch longhaul services at MXP....LH or SR. Using SR could be a very clever move due to the ties and proximity between Milan and Switzerland.

felixZRH

Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:12 pm

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 2):
Using SR

Do you mean LX? Or do you suggest to start some new Swissair?

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 2):
I wonder if which ""brand"" LH will utilize to expand services and launch longhaul services at MXP

That's really an interesting question. How about AP? Is it true that some LX A332 will go to AP when the new A333 come to ZRH. Maybe they can be used for longhaul flights from MXP for AP.

stylo777

Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:21 pm

Quoting FelixZRH (Reply 3):
That's really an interesting question. How about AP? Is it true that some LX A332 will go to AP when the new A333 come to ZRH. Maybe they can be used for longhaul flights from MXP for AP.

they will get two A332 from ILFC (former A6-EYV and A6-EYW of EY)

dutchjet

Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:26 pm

Quoting FelixZRH (Reply 3):
Do you mean LX? Or do you suggest to start some new Swissair?

How stupid of me........of course I meant LX. Thanks for the correction.

Qazar

Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:43 pm

Big mistake if that were true.

They're better off buying AP. Investing in Malpensa is good business sense, but certainly not in Alitalia. If they buy out Alitalia, they'll be buying nothing but trouble... Unions, buraucracy, red tape, inefficiency... True LH is the only airline that can actually turn Alitalia around, but why even bother?

They should let Alitalia sink, and instead invest in an AP buy-out. AP becomes the official italian flag carrier and LH picks up all the international routes from Italy through an airline that is efficient, competitive, and on the rise.

Cheers!

adicool

Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:59 pm

Quoting Qazar (Reply 6):
They should let Alitalia sink, and instead invest in an AP buy-out. AP becomes the official italian flag carrier and LH picks up all the international routes from Italy through an airline that is efficient, competitive, and on the rise.

I absolutely second that...and when you see how lukewarm LH is about AZ then I might think this will be the way to go...LH won't buy AZ...AP is in a way better position and it has some good brand recognition in Italy.

[Edited 2007-10-25 13:59:42]