Chris
Topic Author

TWA CV-880s

Sat Mar 06, 1999 10:41 am

Are the ex-TWA CV880s that were stored in the Mojave desert for many years still there?

BryanG

RE: TWA CV-880s

Sat Mar 06, 1999 4:22 pm

Last year in an issue of Flying Magazine there was a puff story about flying inthe Mojave. There was a picture showing a graveyard of CV880 that was at "Mojave Airport". They were pretty rusted so I couldn't tell who they belonged to, although a couple appeared to have World Airways globes on the tail - thought I'm not certain that World ever had any 880s.

Sat Mar 06, 1999 7:12 pm

There are still some 880s and 990s, not sure of which airlines, but there are several...Most are stripped of their interiors though

L1011

Sat Mar 06, 1999 11:10 pm

I made a special trip to Mojave several years ago and saw some Convair 880s, but I don't remember whos they were. If you ever get a chance to go to Mojave, it is a sight you'll never forget. You're driving through the desert from Death Valley, and suddenly in the middle of nowhere you come upon what looks like Atlanta Airport from a distance. I saw most of Eastern's DC-9 fleet and many other aircraft, looking like they were awaiting passengers in preparation for a flight. I took a lot of pictures. Unfortunately, I don't yet have a scanner so I can't post them.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

L-188

Sun Mar 07, 1999 2:53 am

I think those 'world' globes are actually the old TWA logos from the 60's. My understand is that most of those that ended up in Mojave where originally bought and schedualed to be converted into freighters by Aviation Traders- The same guys who came up with the freighter conversions of the L-188. They figured that it would be a good airplane to converted when they ran out of Electras. Unfortunatly they didn't take into account the five accross seating that prevents standard 88*125 igloos to fit into the airplane. Some of the ones up there have been converted some are only partialy converted. The project was dropped years ago.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Gordon

RE: TWA CV-880s - Confirmation

Sun Mar 07, 1999 4:56 am

I was out at Mohave two weeks ago, and I can confirm that there are about 20 TWA CV-880's still fully intact. They are inded in the '60's "Globe" color sceme, with a big red "arrow" cheatline. There are also two intact 990's at Mohave, one from a Peruvian Airline, and the other ex -NASA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos