viaggiare

Central American Aviation Thread - Part XVI

Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:36 pm

It seems as though our friend Carmen is swamped with work these days, so here it goes...

Central American Aviation Thread - Part XVI: Better than Cerveza Gallo!  silly  drunk  faint 
Entre el fuerte y el débil, la libertad oprime. Sólo la ley libera.

yellowtail

RE: Central American Aviation Thread - Part XVI

Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:52 pm

Quoting Viaggiare (Thread starter):
Central American Aviation Thread - Part XVI: Better than Cerveza Gallo!       

Thanks for using my line!

Seems as though CO is considering a permanent third bank of IAH-Central Am. flights......this comes from another thread....jsut passign on the gossip
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

viaggiare

Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:13 pm

Quoting Yellowtail (Reply 1):
Thanks for using my line!

Sure! I couldn't possibly pass it up. Now if Juanchito could only arrange to have a few of 'em Chicas Gallo join us for a CentAm thread meet at FRS that'd be something else.

Seems as though CO is considering a permanent third bank of IAH-Central Am. flights......this comes from another thread....jsut passign on the gossip

We get three at SJO as it is now, and even had a fourth on Saturdays for a while just recently.

juanchito

Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:27 pm

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 2):
Sure! I couldn't possibly pass it up. Now if Juanchito could only arrange to have a few of 'em Chicas Gallo join us for a CentAm thread meet at FRS that'd be something else.

Let me find out if they could go.

We get three at SJO as it is now, and even had a fourth on Saturdays for a while just recently.

My brother work at CO, and they have 2 daily flights to Houston and an extra one on Saturdays, soon to be 3 daily.

Juanchito
Fotografos de Aviacion de Guatemala. Spotter.
https://www.facebook.com/Fot%C3%B3grafo ... 661476921/

viaggiare

Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:09 pm

We get three at SJO as it is now

I take that back, sorry. We're currently down to two frequencies (CO1485/CO1490 out of SJO and CO1528/CO1499 out of IAH) and three on Saturdays (those two plus CO1447 out of SJO and CO1581 out of IAH).

yellowtail

Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:45 pm

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 4):
I take that back, sorry. We're currently down to two frequencies (CO1485/CO1490 out of SJO and CO1528/CO1499 out of IAH) and three on Saturdays (those two plus CO1447 out of SJO and CO1581 out of IAH).

This is the same as BZE..but eveidently they want to make the 3 daily a permanent fixture instead of it being sat only or seasonal...

they want one bank from IAH around 9am, the second around midday and the third between 3 & 6 depending on its destination and RON location

aer

Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:54 pm

Quoting Juanchito (Reply 3):
My brother work at CO, and they have 2 daily flights to Houston and an extra one on Saturdays, soon to be 3 daily.

I thought the third flight out of GUA was seasonal... I checked their schedules yesterday and only found 2 listed.
nice and spacious airports in need of new airlines and flights... GUA or FRS anyone?... anyone at all?

yellowtail

Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:30 pm

Quoting Aer (Reply 6):
I thought the third flight out of GUA was seasonal... I checked their schedules yesterday and only found 2 listed.

Most of the more popular routes in Cent Am have either a 3rd daily (seasonal) or a 3rd on Sat....CO wants to make the 3rd daily year round.....

I think routes like PTY/SJO/GUA/SAL/BZE could definitely suustain it. In fact we (BZE) have been clamouring for a RON (RJ at least) for quite awhile to help us make those Euro connections without having to overnight at IAH on the return

rootsair

Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:53 pm

Hi my friends

I have one question. What aircraft does Air Comet fly to SJO?

regards
 airplane  wave 
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

juanchito

Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:03 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 8):
Hi my friends

regards

Last time I was in SJO I saw a A310

Juanchito

viaggiare

Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:15 am

Quoting Juanchito (Reply 9):
Quoting RootsAir (Reply 8):

We were getting an A343 initially, but nowadays it's usually the A332s. Haven't seen an A313 myself, but apparently they're using those as well sometimes.

SJOtoLIR

Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:18 am

Hello all !
Hey Viaggiare, thank you for starting the Gallo thread !
I missed my favourite Central American brand: Tona from Nicaragua !
I've just added some information from the last edition.

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 164):
I take it you actually meant SJO-DAV mid to late-morning (so as to channel traffic from the JFK, LAX, and MIA incoming flights) and DAV-SJO early to mid-afternoon (to connect with the JFK, LAX, and MIA outgoing flights).

I have a different hypothesis for Sansa San Jose - David:
RZ doesn't care these immediate international connections for SJO-DAV.
RZ is getting a standardized baggage policy for all regional flights established at one piece with maximum weight of 25 pounds [12 kg].
There is no compatibility of baggage allowance between Airbus equipment and regional aircrafts. The same policy applies either for Cessna Grand Caravan or ATR.
http://www.flysansa.com/baggage_policy.html
RZ is also studying MGA-SAL.

Quoting Tomascubero (Reply 172):
Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 171):
AA will be competing soon with NK in the route FLL/SJO/SJO. I think that the inaugural flight is schedule for mid November.

Correct, inaugural flight is 13th December and it will be daily:

FLL-SJO:

14:15 (13 Dec) Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Intl Apt Flight number - AA 2113
16:10 (13 Dec) San Jose Juan Santamaria Apt Aircraft type - 738

SJO:FLL

17:35 (13 Dec) San Jose Juan Santamaria Apt Flight number - AA 2112
21:15 (13 Dec) Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Intl Apt Aircraft type - 738

I will be taking the flight the 27th of December and returning January the 29th, I got the roundtrip with taxes for $178.30, yes you read right, $178.30. Almost the same price for a one-way with tax on NK.

AA SJO-FLL will be absolutely year-round. AA doesn't tend to serve seasonal flights as other U.S. carriers do in Central America.
Maybe the red-eye NK SJO-FLL will be launched once again when AA begins their new operations splitting services to South Florida.
Based on Tomas' experience with his ticket fare, AA has matched the fares in the same Central American stations where NK is currently flying: SJO, GUA, MGA and SAP. They're trying to pulled out NK from Central American skies.
Full analysis in Central American thread version 13.
In the Caribbean, AA will also start FLL-SDQ and they're already operating FLL-SJU and FLL-PAP.
SDQ, SJU and PAP are getting service to FLL on NK as well.

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 167):
TA has been basically an Airbus operator for a long time deploying the 319, 320 and 321 families.
Something similar happened when CM didn't follow their instincts when acquired the 190 over the 736 being purely a Boeing operator: 738 and 73G Next Generation.

TA eyed carefully how CM was doing with the Embraer equipment.
It's not an issue concerning if the Central American carriers shall keep the same family of airplanes.
Nowadays, it is rather a matter about how the most suitable airplane grants better yields during the upcoming commercial service that essentially means much money for the air carrier making the business sense comes through.
TACA closed the deal choosing technically the best 100-seat airplane as Copa Airlines did.

CO is considering a permanent third bank of IAH-Central Am. flights

How CO is doing at this time from IAH:
Two bank arrangements: BZE, GUA, SAL, PTY and SJO. Not necessarily 14x weekly flights in some of them.
One bank arrangement: MGA, SAP, TGU and LIR. Not necessarily 7x weekly flights in some of them.
IAH-RTB 2x weekly on Saturdays.

Feel free to correct my posts at anytime !  Smile
Regards.
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

yellowtail

Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:30 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 11):
How CO is doing at this time from IAH:

I can only speak of SJO/BZE/PTY...all very very well. they are minting money in BZE...yields, because the Government fixes the prices, are excellent. we are at 15XIAH from BZE

2travel2know

Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:45 pm

I have a different hypothesis for Sansa San Jose - David:
RZ doesn't care these immediate international connections for SJO-DAV.
RZ is getting a standardized baggage policy for all regional flights established at one piece with maximum weight of 25 pounds [12 kg].

With that kind of thinking, RZ SJO-DAV route will be dead before it even starts to fly.
The main reason why Air Panama DAV-SJO route has not been more succesful is that they don't provide any formal interline connectons in SJO. If DAV-SJO was operated by CM or by Air Panama with CM flightnumber originating in PTY, it wouild be another story.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

CM767

Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:49 pm

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 13):
If DAV-SJO was operated by CM or by Air Panama with CM flightnumber originating in PTY, it wouild be another story.

I agree with you on this, and I wonder if CM has approached Air Panama with this. On the other hand, not sure if true but heard a rumor that CM is not happy that the name Air Panama, since CM owned that name for a while, apparently some one did not believe that it was necessary to keep it register and it was taken later on by Mapiex/Turismo Aereo.
But The Best Thing God Has Created Is A New Day

viaggiare

Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:01 pm

TA eyed carefully how CM was doing with the Embraer equipment.

Although airlines should definitely keep a watchful eye on its direct competitors, TA seems to be so obsessed with whatever CM does, that I sometimes wonder whether Kriete and his immediate staff are getting any sleep.

Some of Copa's proven success ideas might work well in the TA environment, the E190s being a case in point. However, other attempts at trying to emulate the competition fail miserably, as with the SDQ flights.

Kriete once said: "We believe we are the best management team in the industry south of the border."

sarcastic 

mt99

Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:43 pm

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 15):
TA seems to be so obsessed with whatever CM does

You think Coca-Cola is not obsessed with what Pepsi does?

emulate the competition

I give them more credit than that. CM and TA serve totally different markets.

Kriete once said: "We believe we are the best management team in the industry south of the border."

Well, I would not call them the best - but hell - they are up there - How many Airbuses do you have operating?
Step into my office, baby

CM767

Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:01 pm

Some of Copa's proven success ideas might work well in the TA environment, the E190s being a case in point. However, other attempts at trying to emulate the competition fail miserably, as with the SDQ flights.

If TA is following CM steps, they better look closer, some people and I agree with them, believe that the E190 was sort of a mistake, CM traffic is growing so much that they are in need of more 800´s and less E190s. For some of us, a few routes could use a 900, for example LAX, MEX, SDQ and without a doubt BOG.

The E190 is the best option without a doubt, to open thin routes, but after a few moths the limited cargo hold and 100 seats are to small for most markets, yes the trip cost are way lower than of the 700, but that is beneficial only if you do not have to leave behind pax and cargo.

CM767

Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:16 pm

fail miserably, as with the SDQ flights.

I believed that this route would work, what happened?

LTU932

Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:25 pm

AA doesn't tend to serve seasonal flights as other U.S. carriers do in Central America.

Actually AA used to fly JFK-SJO with an AB6 seasonally in the summer (no idea if that flight was re-instated), and AA will restart their seasonal LAX-SJO flight with a 757 this autumn.

MAH4546

Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:46 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 19):

Actually AA used to fly JFK-SJO with an AB6 seasonally in the summer (no idea if that flight was re-instated), and AA will restart their seasonal LAX-SJO flight with a 757 this autumn.

JFK-SJO operated 4x weekly during the winter. Winter 2003/04 and winter 2004/05, IIRC.

AA SJO-FLL will be absolutely year-round. AA doesn't tend to serve seasonal flights as other U.S. carriers do in Central America.

Correct, it will be year-round.

In the Caribbean, AA will also start FLL-SDQ and they're already operating FLL-SJU and FLL-PAP.

In addition, they are looking at FLL-MGA.
a.

LTU932

Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:57 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 20):
JFK-SJO operated 4x weekly during the winter. Winter 2003/04 and winter 2004/05, IIRC.

Curious, I always thought it was during the summer. Thanks for the correction though.

rootsair

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:14 pm

Quoting Juanchito (Reply 9):

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 10):
We were getting an A343 initially, but nowadays it's usually the A332s. Haven't seen an A313 myself, but apparently they're using those as well sometimes.

that's cool to see SJO getting the different models. I wonder which of the 332, 343 and 310 is most comfortable to fly in ?

regards  wave 
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

viaggiare

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:30 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 16):
How many Airbuses do you have operating?

Somewhat of a misguided question, to put it lightly. And what's with the covert hostility, anyway? Suffice it to say that I'm pretty successful at what I do, which btw has nothing to do with the airline industry.

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 16):
CM and TA serve totally different markets.

What kind of nonsense are we up against here? Hasn't TA been trying to connect South America (BOG, CCS, GYE, LIM, UIO) with the Caribbean (SDQ, HAV) and North America (JFK, LAX, MEX, MIA) through its SJO hub? What are the E190s for, if not to more aggressively compete with CM on the existing MGA, SAP, TGU (and possibly new BAQ, CLO, and MDE) routes out of SJO, along with smaller market experiments out of LIM and SAL? Aren't they both after a healthy mix of business and leisure travelers? Didn't TA scramble both its legal department, along with its political contacts/beneficiaries/cronies within the Salvadoran government, three years ago to effectively stonewall the increased competition from CM on its home turf? So, yes, TA does compete with CM in many of the same markets, although they'd no doubt feel a lot less anxious in the midst of a captive market.

And since I'm no fan of TA myself (admittedly because LR deserved a much more dignified fate) perhaps you could do some part-time consulting for its board of directors. Can't think of a better way right now to hasten their demise.

md90fan

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:40 am

In addition, they are looking at FLL-MGA.

Makes sense, the Sweetwater area has tons of Nicaraguans, FLL-MGA can take the brute of the O&D traffic (I once read FLL was MGA's largest int'l O&D market) and Miami can handle the connecting and premium traffic.
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

aer

Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:10 am

Quoting CM767 (Reply 17):
elieve that the E190 was sort of a mistake,

I've always found it funny that every time that an airline has ordered E190s, everyone quickly says it's a mistake hehe.
nice and spacious airports in need of new airlines and flights... GUA or FRS anyone?... anyone at all?

MAH4546

Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:18 am

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 24):
Makes sense, the Sweetwater area has tons of Nicaraguans, FLL-MGA can take the brute of the O&D traffic (I once read FLL was MGA's largest int'l O&D market) and Miami can handle the connecting and premium traffic.

Considering that Little Havana is the center of Miami's Nicaraguan community (Nicaraguans actually represent the largest Central American community in Miami), they'll mostly stick with MIA.

FLL would make for a good alternative for the Nicaraguan community in Fort Lauderdale. AA's new FLL flights are not meant to steal passengers from AA's MIA flights, but from Spirit.
a.

mt99

Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:11 am

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 23):
which btw has nothing to do with the airline industry.

Exactly my point!

TA does compete with CM in many of the same markets,

Same markets maybe - but not same "market segments"..CM tends to cater to the business traveler more (like Continental) - while TACA is more of a VFR market.

and since I'm no fan of TA myself (admittedly because LR deserved a much more dignified fate)

Nothing wrong with national pride. Looks like thats your biggest issue with TA. Others proved better.

perhaps you could do some part-time consulting for its board of directors

Is that a job offer? hehehe Id pass - purely based on the fact that TACA's new building is really really ugly  ill . I guess world famous architects do make mistakes!

Didn't TA scramble both its legal department, along with its political contacts/beneficiaries/cronies within the Salvadoran government, three years ago to effectively stonewall the increased competition from CM on its home turf?

Aren't they both after a healthy mix of business and leisure travelers?

I would argue against that. I can how an airline would much rather cater to business travelers only who pay a premium. rather than leisure travelers getting the "buy one get one free" deal. Its all about corporate strategy. You can be successful with one, the other or both.

Didn't TA scramble both its legal department, along with its political contacts/beneficiaries/cronies within the Salvadoran government, three years ago to effectively stonewall the increased competition from CM on its home turf? So, yes, TA does compete with CM in many of the same markets, although they'd no doubt feel a lot less anxious in the midst of a captive market.

I agree with you there. I am not aware of all the technicalities but in essence i think its wrong. But TACA does play a strategic role in Salvadoran society (and psyche) and the government realizes that. Huge employer, bringer of national pride (like your LACSA), high tech jobs - so it only natural there is some sort of protectionism bound to happen. It happens in every country. That doesn't make it right though.

Can't think of a better way right now to hasten their demise.

Count to ten and take a deep breath...
Step into my office, baby

SJOtoLIR

Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:01 am

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 13):
If DAV-SJO was operated by CM or by Air Panama with CM flight-number originating in PTY, it would be another story.

Quoting CM767 (Reply 14):
I wonder if CM has approached Air Panama with this

I have two points:
a. An eventual interline understanding Copa Airlines - Air Panama implies operations in different airports in Panama City: PTY and PAC making the service unattractive.
b. Air Panama also limits baggage at maximum weight of 25 pounds [12 kg]. The same situation for RZ.
There's no baggage compatibility on both Taca-Sansa and Copa Airlines-Air Panama in order to enable immediate connections to DAV.
http://www.flyairpanama.com/req.php

Let's take a look at the scenarios for leisure traffic in Central America:

Liberia.
AA LIR-MIA
CO LIR-IAH
DL LIR-ATL
DL LIR-JFK. February 2008.
Plus other seasonal operations.
RZ Sansa and 5C Nature Air: Regional services to San Jose area.

Roatan
CO RTB-IAH
DL RTB-ATL
TA RTB-MIA
TA RTB-IAH
Taca Regional and Aerolineas Sosa: Regional services to LCE-SAP.

The size-able traffic is not actually coming from regional carriers there.
The development for DAV should be supported in dedicated operations arriving mainly from North America.

viaggiare

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:53 am

NK is PTY-bound! 3x weekly service to begin 1/31/08. To put it in Yellowtail's words, this comes from another thread....just passing on the gossip.

2travel2know

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:58 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 28):
An eventual interline understanding Copa Airlines - Air Panama implies operations in different airports in Panama City: PTY and PAC making the service unattractive.

One would have to check if Air Panama will be willing to fly PTY-DAV-SJO w/CM codeshare instead of PAC-DAV-SJO.

b. Air Panama also limits baggage at maximum weight of 25 pounds [12 kg]. The same situation for RZ.

Air Panama operates F27, it'll be very unattractive for them to force a baggage limit if they were to fly on behalf of CM.

The development for DAV should be supported in dedicated operations arriving mainly from North America

I don't agree DAV should be compared with LIR that much. David and Chiriqui province as a whole is more populated and have a greater local (business and VFR) passenger base than Liberia and Guanacaste province in Costa Rica. IMHO, the easiest way to give DAV international passenger access is to allow DAV passengers to connect at SJO and at PTY (with "international flights" not open to domestic travel).

It's interesting that CM is now flying to ADZ, CUN and PUJ which are leisure destinations and that it seems CM has not considered flying PTY-LIR at least twice weekly. I wouldn't be surprised at all if CM adds LIR to its routes next year.

carmenlu15

Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:27 pm

It seems as though our friend Carmen is swamped with work these days

That, and swamped with a.net emails since this site refuses to work...  Sad Thanks for starting the thread!

Better than Cerveza Gallo!

Yo quiero...  drunk 

Fare alert! Both MX and TA have some real cheap fares to travel GUA-MEX and back... $86 one way plus tax. Available while supplies last!  Wink
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

aer

Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:10 pm

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 31):
Fare alert! Both MX and TA have some real cheap fares to travel GUA-MEX and back... $86 one way plus tax.

Ok, so they weren't scared of AM (for obvious reasons) but could this be a reaction towards Interjet?

juanchito

Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:29 pm

Quoting Aer (Reply 32):
Ok, so they weren't scared of AM (for obvious reasons) but could this be a reaction towards Interjet?

AM did not enter with really cheaps flights to GUA market. (correct me if I am wrong)

Juanchito

luisca

Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:28 pm

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 29):
NK is PTY-bound! 3x weekly service to begin 1/31/08. To put it in Yellowtail's words, this comes from another thread....just passing on the gossip.

About bloody time!, finally affordable fares to PTY from south Florida! my family just payd 900 a piece for a ticket to come to my graduation.
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

carmenlu15

Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:39 pm

Quoting Aer (Reply 32):

I would think so... About freakin' time I think, $600+ for a ticket is ridiculous IMO.

Quoting Juanchito (Reply 33):

AM did not enter with really cheaps flights to GUA market. (correct me if I am wrong)

Nope, they had the same fares... no way they would compete with MX daily nonstops.
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

aer

Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:08 pm

Quoting Juanchito (Reply 33):

Nope, in fact they were more expensive than MX or TA. That's why they (MX / TA) never had to lower their prices at all.

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 35):
About freakin' time I think, $600+ for a ticket is ridiculous IMO.

Seriously

viaggiare

Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:09 am

Here's an interesting shot from today's edition of La Nación, and taken yesterday afternoon at a stadium in Costa Rica, where the wash from this helicopter's blades helped dry a soggy field in time for last night's game between Alajuelense and Saprissa.

The process is reported to have taken over an hour. And although this stadium is just to the north of SJO, the chopper is probably based at SYQ. By the way, it looks like a Robinson R44 to me.

laca773

Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:49 am

How's DL out of LAX to GUA?

Has CM thought about adding an additional flight to LAX since their flights go out so full? Any thoughts about CM purchasing the 739ER?

LACA773

viaggiare

Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:55 am

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 38):
Any thoughts about CM purchasing the 739ER?

For its increased seating capacity (180 pax) you mean? All relevant markets in this hemisphere are within reach of their current fleet, so range (3,200nm) alone probably wouldn't make it attractive.

2travel2know

Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:06 am

Has CM thought about adding an additional flight to LAX since their flights go out so full? Any thoughts about CM purchasing the 739ER?

I would think that CM has thought about a 2nd daily PTY-LAX, in a similar schedule like they've with SCL, EZE and GRU; but in the case of LAX it would mean a wonderful morning PTY-LAX with an 2300h (2400h summertime) LAX-PTY red-eye plus a lousy evening PTY-LAX (arriving after midnight, after 0100 summertime) and a mid-morning LAX-PTY.
Another option for the PTY-Western U.S.A. traffic would be to add at least 5 weekly PTY-SFO and maybe thrice weekly PTY-LAS instead of a 2nd LAX flight.

SJOtoLIR

Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:29 am

Hasn't TA been trying to connect South America (BOG, CCS, GYE, LIM, UIO) with the Caribbean (SDQ, HAV) and North America (JFK, LAX, MEX, MIA) through its SJO hub?

Nowadays connections from South America are available to both SJO and SAL hubs due to the existence of TA LIM-SJO and TA LIM-SAL.
For operations inside South America, TA is competing mainly with LAN system.
Let me quote my participation in another thread:
"The wealthy connections from [EZE-SCL-GRU-LPB-VVI-CUZ] may be concentrated instead at [UIO-GYE-BOG-CCS-SAL-SJO] through LIM which is geographically well positioned in South America to enable this situation."

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 30):
the easiest way to give DAV international passenger access is to allow DAV passengers to connect at SJO and at PTY (with "international flights" not open to domestic travel).

By the 90s, the former LR tried unsuccessfully to sustain tag-on operations at USA-SJO-LIR with Boeing equipment, if I remember correctly.
However, because PTY is getting the best connection center in Central America for outgoing destinations, CM may try to consolidate a market for PTY-DAV and feeding exclusively with CM's flights arriving at Tocumen as you early pointed out. So, the market offered by Air Panama and Aeroperlas won't be hurting at anytime.
The usage of suitable aircrafts from CM assets without constraint on common baggage standards enable advantages for PTY-DAV in order to face eventual operations in the future given by foreign carriers for [non Central American destinations -- David].
I understood your point that DAV shouldn't be compared with LIR, then its new development may be supported on passengers from CM flights keeping separately the market covered by regional carriers there: Air Panama and Taca Regional.  Wink
By the way, is DAV expecting charter operations from North America during next high-season?

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 30):
It's interesting that CM is now flying to ADZ, CUN and PUJ which are leisure destinations and that it seems CM has not considered flying PTY-LIR at least twice weekly. I wouldn't be surprised at all if CM adds LIR to its routes next year.

Interesting !

laca773

Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:06 am

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 39):
For its increased seating capacity (180 pax) you mean? All relevant markets in this hemisphere are within reach of their current fleet, so range (3,200nm) alone probably wouldn't make it attractive.

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 40):

I would think that CM has thought about a 2nd daily PTY-LAX, in a similar schedule like they've with SCL, EZE and GRU; but in the case of LAX it would mean a wonderful morning PTY-LAX with an 2300h (2400h summertime) LAX-PTY red-eye plus a lousy evening PTY-LAX (arriving after midnight, after 0100 summertime) and a mid-morning LAX-PTY.
Another option for the PTY-Western U.S.A. traffic would be to add at least 5 weekly PTY-SFO and maybe thrice weekly PTY-LAS instead of a 2nd LAX flight.

Thankyou for the great information. It sounds like CM is doing very very well @ LAX though it seems like adding an additional flight to LAX isn't very desirable looking at the possible times.

Will TA be utilizing the 321 more out of LAX during the upcoming holiday season?

LACA773

luisca

Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:43 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 41):
By the way, is DAV expecting charter operations from North America during next high-season?

Yes, they are expecting a lot of charter traffic, that is why the airport is being renovated. DAV is the main gateway to the Boquete and Bocas areas, both booming with tourism. I wish our governement took their collective heads out of their asses and also expandedBocas del Toco INTL so that it could take 737s. But it looks like el muneco que pasea is just worried about looking pretty in a foto op....

BTW FELIZ DIA DE LA SEPARACION DE PANAMA DE COLOMBIA!

104 ANOS de independencia!
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

LTU932

Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:20 am

http://www.nacion.com/viva/2007/octubre/31/viva1297363.html (Spanish only)

Iron Maiden is coming to town! They're coming to give a concert on February 26th this year, for their Somewhere Back in Time 2008 tour. And yes, lead singer Bruce Dickinson will charter for this purpose a 757 from Astraeus, which will be be overhauled and painted into a special Iron Maiden colourscheme, and Bruce, himself airline pilot at Astraeus and even a former A.netter, will be piloting the plane personally! Bruce was also involved in humanitarian operations during the Israel-Lebanon standoff, flying people who fled Lebanon out of the crisis zone.

SJO Spotters, get ready for February 2008, when Bruce Dickinson and Iron Maiden arrive!  bigthumbsup 

viasa

Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:01 pm

On JP.net I found a picture of Costa Rica Skies's MD-82 (TI-BBH). There is a remark, that Cost Rica Skies will start scheduled operations on 2nd of November.

Is this true?

Where they flies?

CM767

Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:51 pm

Quoting Aer (Reply 25):
I've always found it funny that every time that an airline has ordered E190s, everyone quickly says it's a mistake hehe.

Do not get me wrong, The E190 is turning to be a great aircraft, my point is, that is to small for some CM routes, that quickly are in need of a 737, for some routes ( SAP and ADZ for example) the E190 is the perfect fit.

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 40):

Sorry, I do not understand you, right now the LAX flight departs on the afternoon bank, so a second one I imagine would depart PTY on mornings arriving during the day at LAX, I am correct?

The plane, that departs PTY on the evening is back on the morning, why would this be different from one departing on the morning bank?, for me the times of a day flight to LAX would be better than the evening one.

And yes, I have heard that the second LAX flight is on the works.

tomascubero

Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:01 pm

Correct, I think the 2003/04 season it was AB6 and I do remember the 2004/05 to be the 752, the flight had very similar times like the new AA FLL flights, arriving around 4pm and leaving beofre 5:30pm.

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 10):

That is correct, except that now we are scheduled to have only A313 and the A332 will be coming on a limted basis, at the start I remeber seeing all of them swap around, good thing I took photos of the hybrid Eurofly A332!

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 37):
The process is reported to have taken over an hour. And although this stadium is just to the north of SJO, the chopper is probably based at SYQ. By the way, it looks like a Robinson R44 to me.

Correct, TI-BBA to be exact and belongs to Aerotour, heard it but did not see it so thanks for the shot!

Quoting Viasa (Reply 45):
On JP.net I found a picture of Costa Rica Skies's MD-82 (TI-BBH). There is a remark, that Cost Rica Skies will start scheduled operations on 2nd of November.

Is this true?

Where they flies?

Yes, that was probably my photo. This was true according to one of the pilots but did not happen, another source at a forum said this was impossible and would not be later on the month, guess he was right.

They are initially flying to San Andres Isla and their second destination will be Toronto, Canada. They also announced a series of destinations but those are just plans.

Regards,
Tomas.

LTU932

Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:02 pm

Quoting Viasa (Reply 45):

Is this true?

Where they flies?

The only thing I know is that they're flying to and from ADZ, but I believe those flights were nothing but route proving.

SJOtoLIR

Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:51 pm

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 42):
Will TA be utilizing the 321 more out of LAX during the upcoming holiday season?

SAL-LAX is a key route for TA operating up to three daily flights sometimes with their own aircrafts, taking into account the daily service with 321.
UA has extended the code-share agreement with TA and LAX is one the hubs for UA.
Other routes for TA's 321: IAD-SAL, LIM-GRU, MIA-MGA, LIM-CCS, SJO-BOG, among others including some entirely in Central America.
Regards.