IndianGuy
Topic Author

Jet Announces RJ Plans

Wed Aug 23, 2000 1:00 pm

Naresh Goyal, the Chmn of Jet Airways(9W), India's largest pvt airline has announced that they would be going in for small 30-50 seat Regional jets.

9W business model was orig.based on a all B737 fleet, like SouthWest of the US. However, unlike the US low-fare major, 9W concentrates on high-fare business class travellers.

Recently, 9W went in for regional services using the ATR-72, configured as 66 seaters. There are around 5 of these flying. However, Indians as a rule prefer jet aircraft even for shorter routes.
(Why else would A320's and 737s be used on 15 minute hops like PNQ-BOM?)

So the original plan of going in for ATR-42/72's produced locally under licence seems to have been given the go by. Instead 9W would now be looking at Dornier 328/528 family or the Emb 135/145's.

Meanwhile, 9W would be receiving 10 737-800/900 series acft over the next year. It had ordered these acft a long time back. but delivery was delayed to the sanctions imposed by the US govt after India conducted nuclear tests in 1998. The ExIm Bank of the US finally backed the loan, after which deliveries could commence.

RE: Jet Announces RJ Plans

Thu Aug 24, 2000 7:34 am

I'm highly impressed with Jet Airways. I've heard terrific things about how the business is run and the simple hought that a privately owned airline is holding its own against a larger state sponsered bureaucarsy is impressive also. Elaborate a little will you on why Jet chose the ATRs, how they did financially, and where are they going now that RJs are coming in. I'm all for private investment, so I say "go Jet".

russ

IndianGuy
Topic Author

Thu Aug 24, 2000 7:22 pm

The reason that most Jet officials say is that the Atr-72-500's offer 'near jet like comfort'. As i said earlier, many Indians generally avoid propeller aircraft, so even very short haul hps are operated by 320 and such equipment. So 'jet-like-comfort' seems to have been a factor.

I havent flown their ATRs yet, so i cant offer any comment whether they are really like Jets or not in terms of comfort.

Another factor that could have weighed in favour of the ATR's, is that the Indian Govt. recently signed a deal for producing the ATR42's and later ATR-72's locally in India. The original contenders were the Saab 340 and the Saab 2000. The ATR was selected by the Indian Govt, b'cos they feel that unlike the Saabs, the ATR-42 has tremendous military potential. Jet must have thought that procuring spares etc would be easier and cheaper once the acft are produced locally. This must definitely be a factor.

Indian scientists have been long working on a kind of Naval AWACs being developed to keep tabs on the Chinese and American Naval activities in the Indian Ocean. Currently it is flying on locally made 748s. The ATR-42s are being seen as a platform for the same.

Fri Aug 25, 2000 12:14 am

Ok, barring Jet adding any of the locally manufactured ATRs which you said is likely, what will Jet do with the ATRs it already flies? They will be dumped for the new RJs?

IndianGuy
Topic Author

Fri Aug 25, 2000 3:18 pm

Nope i dont think so.

The ATR-72's are 66 seaters, while the RJs theyare looking at are 30-50 seaters. So essentially in a different category altogether.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos