Super80DFW
Topic Author

Southwest's Newest Weird Routes

Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:09 pm

I'm flying from DAL to DEN for Christmas. On the way up there, I'm on Flt. 900 DAL-OKC then Flt. 900 OKC-DEN. On the way back, Flt. 85 DEN-AMA then Flt. 85 AMA-DAL. I think its funny that WN flys n/s to AMA and OKC now from DEN. Is DEN a focus city for WN? Its also nice that its one-stop same plane each way.
"Things change, friends leave, life doesn't stop for anybody." -- EAT'EM UP EAT'EM UP KSU!!

AirRyan

RE: Southwest's Newest Weird Routes

Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:11 pm

Thank Jim Wright for his amendment that prohibits WN from flying nonstop from DAL to airports outside the state such as DEN; thankfully the parties that be all agreed to an 8 year process that will ultimately do away with the anti-competitive free-rider.

atrude777

Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:29 pm

Focus city...not exactly but it is going to become a large operation for SWA.

Just make sure you don't get off the plane, as these are through routes haha.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

Super80DFW
Topic Author

Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:32 pm

I've done the same plane stop when I was going LAS-PHX-OKC. I went from row 22 to row 5.
"Things change, friends leave, life doesn't stop for anybody." -- EAT'EM UP EAT'EM UP KSU!!

OPNLguy

Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:35 pm

What I'd like to see is DAL-LIT, continuing on to either MEM (new) or BNA (existing)...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Bicoastal

Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:38 pm

Any reason you do not want to fly United, Frontier or AA nonstop from DFW?
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

txagkuwait

Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:42 pm

Quote:

I can't answer for the original poster.....but as someone who recently did DAL to DEN via a connection at MCI, I can tell you that some people prefer Southwest's product.

ShannoninAMA

Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:54 am

Quoting Super80DFW (Thread starter):
I'm flying from DAL to DEN for Christmas. On the way up there, I'm on Flt. 900 DAL-OKC then Flt. 900 OKC-DEN. On the way back, Flt. 85 DEN-AMA then Flt. 85 AMA-DAL. I think its funny that WN flys n/s to AMA and OKC now from DEN. Is DEN a focus city for WN? Its also nice that its one-stop same plane each way.

Well, AMA / OKC seem to be (At least in my negative interpretation of it  Wink ) just stopping points until the WA is gone. Either way, The moment WN announced AMA-DEN, ZK Got the hell out of here  Wink (Their last flight is in 2 days actually)

Shan Big grin
Shipwreck alert. Head on over to Airspaceonline.com.

D328

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:11 am

Quoting Txagkuwait (Reply 7):
I can't answer for the original poster.....but as someone who recently did DAL to DEN via a connection at MCI, I can tell you that some people prefer Southwest's product.

What product? The cattle call?  crowded   crowded   crowded   laughing   laughing   laughing 

pitops

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:18 am

Quoting D328 (Reply 21):
What product? The cattle call?

As of Nov 8th, the "cattle call" will be no more.
Ground Ops, Southwest Airlines, CMH

sccutler

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:20 am

Quoting D328 (Reply 21):

Naw, the roomier planes, more reliable service and better frequencies.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

sjc4me

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:23 am

Quoting D328 (Reply 8):

crying 
Unable.

txagkuwait

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:55 am

SC: I'm still waiting on my airplane ride.

OpnlGuy: Glad to see you're still alive.

AirframeAS

Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:50 pm

Quoting PITops (Reply 9):
As of Nov 8th, the "cattle call" will be no more.

Like I said on another thread, I totally disagree. The cattle call will still live on after Nov 8th no matter what WN thinks. People will still line up for their flights regardless of where they are at in the boarding process, PERIOD.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

SkyyMaster

Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:01 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 13):
Like I said on another thread, I totally disagree. The cattle call will still live on after Nov 8th no matter what WN thinks. People will still line up for their flights regardless of where they are at in the boarding process, PERIOD.

It'll just be a revised, hopefully more organized cattle call. I still expect people to start lining up before the plane even lands, I hope the gate agents stop that part at least.

BigOrange

Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:24 pm

I prefer the cattle call.

You get to choose your own seat, including exit row and bulkhead seats with more leg room, instead of them being reserved for people who don't even pay for their seats themselves,

Logos

Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:44 pm

Quoting SkyyMaster (Reply 14):
Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 13):

It'll just be a revised, hopefully more organized cattle call. I still expect people to start lining up before the plane even lands, I hope the gate agents stop that part at least.

I flew WN last weekend BHM-MCO and it arrived at a gate that had the new arrangements and that's exactly what happened. The line was simply divided 6 ways instead of 3.

Cheers,
Dave in Orlando
Too many types flown to list

SkyyMaster

Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:53 pm

Quoting Logos (Reply 16):
I flew WN last weekend BHM-MCO and it arrived at a gate that had the new arrangements and that's exactly what happened. The line was simply divided 6 ways instead of 3.

You said flew in, did you fly out using a gate with the new setup? How well does it work (or not)? I'm flying over Christmas (groan) and hope they have it smoothed out by then.

pitops

Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:05 pm

The ops agents are going to try and minimize it especially at the beginning.

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 15):
I prefer the cattle call.

You get to choose your own seat, including exit row and bulkhead seats with more leg room, instead of them being reserved for people who don't even pay for their seats themselves,

It is still open seating. Just a more organized way to board.

Quoting Logos (Reply 16):

New boarding process hasn't started yet. November 8th is the start date system wide except for SAT and DAL who have already started. Did you have a letter and a number on your boarding pass?

bond007

Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:51 pm

Quoting Txagkuwait (Reply 6):
Quote:

I can't think of too many people who would CHOOSE to make a connection rather than a non-stop, just because they 'prefer' the product.

...of course, there are the mileage runs etc. etc., but most people want to get from A to B as fast as possible, and with minimal risk of delays.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

pitops

Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:57 pm

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 19):
I can't think of too many people who would CHOOSE to make a connection rather than a non-stop, just because they 'prefer' the product.

...of course, there are the mileage runs etc. etc., but most people want to get from A to B as fast as possible, and with minimal risk of delays.

Jimbo

Money has alot to do with it too. If WN has a flight from MDW to DAL through STL cheaper then AA has a flight from ORD to DFW, they are going to do it.

bond007

Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:00 pm

Quoting PITops (Reply 20):
Money has alot to do with it too. If WN has a flight from MDW to DAL through STL cheaper then AA has a flight from ORD to DFW, they are going to do it.

Of course .... I was just commenting on the fact that the choice might have been made just because they 'preferred' the WN 'product' .... unless that 'product' includes price/schedule etc.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

Cactus739

Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:04 pm

Sorry...I seem to be confused here..

is this thread about new weird routes like DEN-AMA-DAL?

or a tired rehash of people whining about Southwest's seating policy?
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

ssides

Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:05 pm

Well, I definitely prefer AA to WN, but on the DAL-DEN routes you don't really "connect," you just stop at AMA or OKC for about 10 minutes, let a few people on or off, and then you're on your way again. Not all that much extra time.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

pitops

Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:21 pm

Quoting Cactus739 (Reply 22):

Thread police are here!

This is about the routing but did get a tad sidetracked as any thread tends to do.

Quoting Ssides (Reply 23):
Well, I definitely prefer AA to WN, but on the DAL-DEN routes you don't really "connect," you just stop at AMA or OKC for about 10 minutes, let a few people on or off, and then you're on your way again. Not all that much extra time.

40 minutes tops if everything goes ok.

swabrian

Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:51 pm

Quoting Ssides (Reply 23):

Well, the DAL/DEN market did have a lot to do with these new routes. Almost every flight between North Texas and Denver flies over Amarillo--and OKC isn't that far off the route. Except for the time it takes to taxi to the end of AMA's huge runway, they are no taxi delays there. Also, as a former AMA resident, I know that there is a sizeable community in AMA with ties to DEN, so there will be local traffic, not just through traffic.

Brian

bnatraveler

Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:12 pm

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 4):
What I'd like to see is DAL-LIT, continuing on to either MEM (new) or BNA (existing)...

or DAL-JAN-BNA. Nissan's NA HQ is now in BNA and they have a huge plant in JAN. They have been looking for someone to fly the JAN-BNA route and I know personally that the DAL-BHM-BNA route has been a smashing success.

sjc4me

Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:59 pm

I've noticed WN threads are a lot like A vs. B threads, except its usually WN vs. The World. For whatever reason, people have to whine about WN every chance they get. I rarely see a WN fan whine about another airline. Probably because were too busy defending WN all the time.
Unable.

F9Widebody

Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:01 pm

Any word on how WN is doing out of DEN as far as loads are concerned? I've seen pretty good loads to MDW, LAS, etc, but I've been flying to OAK recently (an important route for me) and the loads have seemed inconsistent.

Quoting D328 (Reply 8):

What product? The cattle call? crowded crowded crowded laughing laughing laughing

I like the cattle call...take your pick, in addition, as mentioned, it will be going away. Southwest has at least 2" more legroom than UA in economy. I'm 6'1" and my knees don't touch the seat in front. You also are allowed 3 checked bags per person as opposed to two on other airlines. Those factors and low fares have combined to make them my most flown airline as of late.
YES URLS in signature!!!

rampart

Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:50 pm

It'll just be a revised, hopefully more organized cattle call. I still expect people to start lining up before the plane even lands...

Like they do on any other airline I've seen. People have an assigned seat, yet still line up half an hour before it's time to board. Must be frantic about securing overhead bin space for the oversized carryons.

-Rampart

MKP1013

Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:17 pm

That would be nice!

SkyyMaster

Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:30 pm

Lots of people do it. More than you might think. Given WN's efficiency at fast turnarounds, it's not that big of a deal. Plus, if the choice is DFW or DAL, DAL is a no brainer in my book. Any time saved in flight is likely to be offset by ground delays at DFW.

Super80DFW
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:19 pm

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 5):

Because at the time we bought the tickets, WN was the only airline that wouldn't charge over $1000 for our specific times. WN got us our specific times for less than $700 for 4 people r/t. Thats amazing!

Thats an a.net forum for you.  Silly

bond007

Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:43 pm

Quoting SkyyMaster (Reply 31):
Lots of people do it. More than you might think.

Err ... take 2 flights instead of 1, with an increase of 50% trip time .... not "lots" !!

Quoting SkyyMaster (Reply 31):
Plus, if the choice is DFW or DAL, DAL is a no brainer in my book. Any time saved in flight is likely to be offset by ground delays at DFW.

Then the deciding factor is the airport, not necessarily the airline. If AA flew DAL-DEN for less money he'd probably had taken it ... little to do with the "WN product".

Quoting Super80DFW (Reply 32):
Because at the time we bought the tickets, WN was the only airline that wouldn't charge over $1000 for our specific times. WN got us our specific times for less than $700 for 4 people r/t. Thats amazing!

There you go ...

Jimbo

sccutler

Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:33 am

Quoting TxAgKuwait (Reply 12):
SC: I'm still waiting on my airplane ride.

Hey, Army-

I got the hardware to back it up, now!

'69 V35A. Let's plan off-line.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Logos

Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:47 pm

Quoting SkyyMaster (Reply 17):
You said flew in, did you fly out using a gate with the new setup? How well does it work (or not)? I'm flying over Christmas (groan) and hope they have it smoothed out by then.

Quoting PITops (Reply 18):
New boarding process hasn't started yet. November 8th is the start date system wide except for SAT and DAL who have already started. Did you have a letter and a number on your boarding pass?

Sorry, I was off the boards for a couple of days. To answer the first question, the boarding in BHM (and in MCO on my outbound leg) was the same as always - just ABC.

To the second question, both of my boarding passes had letters & numbers on them even though I didn't board via the new process, so apparently the computer system is already set and ready for the new process. About half of the gates at MCO were reworked for the new process as of last Saturday and my arrival gate was one of them. The crowds were clearly lined up in six neat (shorter) lines to board the flight that was going out on my aircraft. Whether Southwest told them to arrange themselves that way or they simply did it according to the number on their boarding passes, I don't know. I do, however, believe that will be a preview of how this is going to work in practice. The "cattle call" will continue just in a more organized fashion, regardless of what Southwest says on their website. It's just a natural outcome of the open seating.

I will say that the new gate areas are very attractive and will be a step up for Southwest passengers, so that at least will be an improvement.

Cheers,
Dave in Orlando
Too many types flown to list

Super80DFW
Topic Author

Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:31 pm

[quote=Logos,reply=35]New boarding process hasn't started yet. November 8th is the start date system wide except for SAT and DAL who have already started.[/quote

I thought SAT was the only place were it has started. Well, thats good. I am ALWAYS in the A group anyway.

7e72004

Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:10 pm

Just a little bit off topic, but how long ago did WN serve DET? What airports did they serve from there?
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

Super80DFW
Topic Author

Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:05 pm

I know SWA900 and SWA85 are running today. I think today was the first day of OKC-DEN and AMA-DEN on WN.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:26 pm

And the winner for the weirdest route...  trophy 

I worked a flight this morning, flight 71. It goes SAN-LAS-BOI-PDX-SMF-LAX-STL.  crazy 
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

atrude777

Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:35 pm

Quoting Super80DFW (Reply 38):
I know SWA900 and SWA85 are running today. I think today was the first day of OKC-DEN and AMA-DEN on WN.

Yes it was

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 39):

I worked a flight this morning, flight 71. It goes SAN-LAS-BOI-PDX-SMF-LAX-STL.

WOW, For the first time, EVER, LAX-STL becomes a RON plane.

LAX-STL used to continue on to FLL as flight 732.

SMF-LAX-STL-FLL

and reverse was FLL-STL-LAX-OAK Flight 732, usually.

So who operates STL-FLL now then?!

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

AirTranTUS

Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:36 pm

Quoting D328 (Reply 8):

So how do you feel about AA's cattle call? "Zone 4, now boarding." Even worse than WN's, because people have an assigned seat they have to get to while waiting for the person in front of them to put their stuff away, where on WN, they can sit at the row they are at instead of wait. And those squished graphics you posted work great with AA and other carriers since they have less pitch than WN. I believe the  laughing  goes on you.
I love ASO!

LASoctoberB6

Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:44 pm

And the winner for the weirdest route... trophy

I worked a flight this morning, flight 71. It goes SAN-LAS-BOI-PDX-SMF-LAX-STL. crazy

Were you the F/A?
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

futuresdpdcop

Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:45 pm

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 42):
Were you the F/A?

He's a ramp rat.

atrude777

Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:48 pm

I worked a flight this morning, flight 71. It goes SAN-LAS-BOI-PDX-SMF-LAX-STL

PS- I'd like to try riding 4th on that flight HAHAHA

I'd kill myself probably!

Alex

bond007

Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:36 pm

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 41):
Even worse than WN's, because people have an assigned seat they have to get to while waiting for the person in front of them to put their stuff away,

Yep .... so they have to wait a few seconds... they aren't rushing to get their 'best' seat, since they already know what it is. The truth in the matter, is that any airline can board as fast as WN when they have to ... it happens all the time. WN has to do it fast due to their schedules.

I guess you've never ever had to wait for somebody in front of you on a WN flight???
I assume it must be a perfect, window to aisle, from the rear of the aircraft process! Not my last WN flight!

The whole point of zone boarding on assigned seat flights, is so that folks in the back aren't waiting for pax in the front to sit down.

Jimbo

iowaman

Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:49 pm

New non-stop routes that start today (Nov 4.) include:

AMA-DEN 2x
OKC-DEN (both AMA and OKC continue from DAL) 2x
SEA-DEN 4x
ABQ-DEN 2x
AUS-DEN 1x
OAK-TUS 1x
BHM-MSY 3x

Other DEN additions include:
DEN-SLC goes from 4x to 5x
DEN-BNA goes from once daily to twice daily

Other MSY additions:

MSY-DAL goes from 5x to 6x
MSY-HOU goes from 9x to 11x
MSY-LAS goes from 1x to 2x
MSY-MCO goes from 3x to 4x

Also some big winners:
SLC additions include an additional flight each to OAK, PDX, DEN, and ABQ.
BNA gains an additional flight to MDW, DEN, and PHL.
DAL gets an additional flight to BHM, ABQ, HOU (goes to 30x!), MSY,
STL gains an additional each to MDW, CMH, LAS but loses a HOU flight.

SkyyMaster

Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:59 pm

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 33):
Err ... take 2 flights instead of 1, with an increase of 50% trip time .... not "lots" !!

Not necessarily. As I said, if I take a flight from DEN to DAL via AMA, yes there is a stop involved, 25-30 minutes max. Arrival at Love is quick and efficient. I've rarely been on a plane with a taxi time over 5-6 minutes to the gate at DAL. I could fly DEN-DFW nonstop, but the air time saved is often lost while taxiing to the gate. Especially if you land on a runway on the opposite side of the airport from your gate, the general congestion of what seems like 100 MD-80's jockeying for position, and the potential that your gate is still in use because the previous outbound flight is late (which for whatever reason, seems to happen to me alot on AA there). Yes, convenience of the airport has some to do with it, but the airline does too. I will take WN and the cattle call any day over the surly attitude of the gate and cabin staff I am generally greeted with on AA. I lived in Dallas from 80 to 01 and flew both airlines dozens and dozens of times. WN wins hands down every time, even if it means I have to make a stop.

Super80DFW
Topic Author

Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:34 pm

Quoting SkyyMaster (Reply 47):
Arrival at Love is quick and efficient. I've rarely been on a plane with a taxi time over 5-6 minutes to the gate at DAL.

I flew into Love and we had a 3 minute taxi and I was the third person to the baggage claim and I waited about 3 minutes. From landing to driving out of the parking garage, 16 minutes. That is amazing!

Super80DFW
Topic Author

Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:41 pm

DEN to DAL via AMA, yes there is a stop involved, 25-30 minutes max.

20 minute layover same plane.

I could fly DEN-DFW nonstop, but the air time saved is often lost while taxiing to the gate. Especially if you land on a runway on the opposite side of the airport from your gate

Which coming in from DEN, you probably would because Concourses A & C are on the east side of International Pkwy. But, you would get to go over the bridge.  Wink

Chad