Alitalia744
Topic Author

Delta Creates "Planguage"

Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:07 pm

The latest installment of marketing from the "new" DELTA... Planguage.

Quite funny if you ask me - long-term 25 videos, 4 uploaded to YouTube already...

http://blog.delta.com/2007/10/31/pla...ge-language-of-traveling-by-plane/

view more videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/planeguage
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

mcamargo

RE: Delta Creates "Planguage"

Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:15 pm

haha this is amazing
I live for the day mainline returns to BRO...

RL757PVD

Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:44 pm

My favorite one so far is "lav dance"

its a cute, funny and subtle way of reminding passengers not to be ignant!
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

rootsair

Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:47 pm

Excellent idea and concept they have come up with !

airplane  wave 
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

JGPH1A

Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:02 pm

I don't get it - what are they trying to say here ? Are they "for" these behaviours or against them ? All I see is pax behaving like pax - what's the message ?
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

RL757PVD

Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:05 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 4):
I don't get it - what are they trying to say here ? Are they "for" these behaviours or against them ? All I see is pax behaving like pax - what's the message ?

Its essentially poking fun at their own passengers in a cute and humurous way, but also a freindly reminder about thier actions.

people need to be able to laugh at themselves and thats essentially what it is...

dbo861

Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:21 pm

Delta should start showing these on the plane.

Oh, and my last time commuting to work, I sat next to a shady lady. We were on the sunset side of the airplane, and every five minutes I was blinded. Honestly, I wanted to punch the guy in the face, but I was in uniform so I decided otherwise.

pilotboi

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:23 pm

I first saw these on youtube about 2 days ago. I wasn't really sure what they were for, but now I see. Can't wait to collect all 25 of them!

Mir

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:37 pm

I can't say I quite understand what they're trying to get at either.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

crogalski

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:46 pm

I only liked the shady lady one... The rest I found dull.

Still love the JetBlue Neeleman one!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XteDxlT1YG8
A319 A320 A321 A330 B717 B727 B737 B747 B757 B767 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 DC9 E145 E190 MD88 Q400 | AA AB B6 CO DL EI FL NK

pilotboi

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:58 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 8):

I can't say I quite understand what they're trying to get at either.

I don't think they are really for OR against them. I think they are just making comedy of our society and things we do. None of the things here are "wrong or right". With the armrest one - that's all up to you and the people sitting around you. For the kid one - obviously it is the parents responsbility to keep control of the kids. For the lav dance one - sometimes can't help forming a line in the aisle. And as for shady lady - well no one can help that if the shade is broken. But what I'm trying to say is that they know these things happen but it's not like they are going to enforce rules saying "the middle man gets the arm rests". Basically, the point is to get everyone's attention using comedy, then slam their name and logo on the end and hopefully it'll pay off!

flyboy80

Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:07 pm

OMg that is great. I bet the F/As at jetblue hate neelman for that one!!! OMG I'm laughing so hard right now. The business guy on the delta "planguage" thing is so funny. Whenever I'm serving I can look at someone and its like "here we go" "May I get you beverage?" without eye contact, as they continue reading their paper, they say "yes, I will take a tomato juice w/ a slice of lime, ice water, and a coffee, one and a half creams, two sugars, and btw is the coffee hot?" All when I was asking the person seated on the window!!!

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:18 pm

This is great. I'll submit my idea in a few. What are some of you guys ideas?!?!
What gets measured gets done.

isitsafenow

Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:41 pm

This tells me that if the gate insists on giving you a center seat.......deck em.
safe
just kidding folks.....
Its cute but I think I missed the message.
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

Evan767

Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:48 pm

I really hope they do one where the flight attendant makes the worthless announcement, "For passengers with longer connections please stay seated while others can move up front." Then everyone stands up.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

JGPH1A

Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:28 pm

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 5):
Its essentially poking fun at their own passengers in a cute and humurous way, but also a freindly reminder about thier actions.

It's a bit TOO cute - trying to criticize the pax without actually doing so. And the Lav Dance one is just wierd - what exactly are they objecting to ? People waiting to use the bathroom ? I just don't find any of the little skits very clever at all, really. If you want to tell people to control their damn kids, just say so. Likewise the oblivous cow with the window shade. If you don't like what they're doing, don't be all passive aggressive about it, just say "Hey, lady - leave the blind alone !".
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Mir

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:25 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 15):
what exactly are they objecting to ?

checkmark  The point of these is not really clear.

-Mir

DeltaGuy

Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:09 am

Pretty cool actually...I love the Dr. Evil cameo they put into the 'shady lady' clip.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

Evan767

Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:10 am

the oblivous cow with the window shade. If you don't like what they're doing, don't be all passive aggressive about it, just say "Hey, lady - leave the blind alone !".

These videos will give some of those who unkowingly do these rude actions to realize their terrible behavior and perhaps stop.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

DTWAGENT

Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:24 am

I loved them all. I have had all of that stuff happen to me.

Chuck

jetbluefan1

Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:06 am

Quoting Flyboy80 (Reply 11):
OMg that is great. I bet the F/As at jetblue hate neelman for that one!!! OMG I'm laughing so hard right now. The business guy on the delta "planguage" thing is so funny. Whenever I'm serving I can look at someone and its like "here we go" "May I get you beverage?" without eye contact, as they continue reading their paper, they say "yes, I will take a tomato juice w/ a slice of lime, ice water, and a coffee, one and a half creams, two sugars, and btw is the coffee hot?" All when I was asking the person seated on the window!!!

Funniest thing I have read in awhile...

JetBluefan1

siromega

Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:11 am

The Shady Lady is the only one I thought was funny. But that was it. Hopefully the other 21 are a bit better.

pilotboi

Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:21 am

And the Lav Dance one is just wierd - what exactly are they objecting to ? People waiting to use the bathroom ?

The person gets out of the bathroom and wants to get back to her seat. But all the passengers waiting in line are standing in the aisle. So the lady has to dance to get around them. (While the music is playing, the aisle is exagerated and widened to allow for a funnier dance.) But it's trying to prove the point that you sometimes have to work through the people standing in line in the aisle.

Mir

Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:58 am

Quoting Pilotboi (Reply 22):
The person gets out of the bathroom and wants to get back to her seat. But all the passengers waiting in line are standing in the aisle. So the lady has to dance to get around them. (While the music is playing, the aisle is exagerated and widened to allow for a funnier dance.) But it's trying to prove the point that you sometimes have to work through the people standing in line in the aisle.

I can see what happens in the video. I know that sometimes you do have to slip by people who are waiting for the bathroom - I've been both the slipper and slippee in that scenario. But that doesn't answer the question of what the point of the whole thing is. Is Delta objecting to people standing in line for the bathroom (which would be stupid)?

-Mir

david21487

Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:32 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 23):
Is Delta objecting to people standing in line for the bathroom (which would be stupid)?

Stupid? I'm pretty sure that on just about all the flight's I've been on, they say "don't stand in line for the bathroom."
-- Step! Jump! Slide! --

mcamargo

Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:21 am

Quoting David21487 (Reply 24):

this is not really exactly relevant, but i thought of something...

As more aircrafts get new AVOD systems, could they essentially on the AVOD offer an option to be able to see if the bathroom is occupied? (and say that if it is, to be able to sign up to a queue?)

I was thinking about that while i waited in front of a display for a computer in a computer lab... why not for using the lav? this would get rid of the line...

And yes, i know it's silly. But who knows?
I live for the day mainline returns to BRO...

FlyASAGuy2005

Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:21 am

It's a bit TOO cute - trying to criticize the pax without actually doing so. And the Lav Dance one is just wierd - what exactly are they objecting to ? People waiting to use the bathroom ? I just don't find any of the little skits very clever at all, really. If you want to tell people to control their damn kids, just say so. Likewise the oblivous cow with the window shade. If you don't like what they're doing, don't be all passive aggressive about it, just say "Hey, lady - leave the blind alone !".

They actually do (F/A's) for the most part. Before the movies satart, they make an announcment letting everyone know to "lower your window shade atleast half way". Some guy will wake up in the middle of the movie and decide to look outside and I have seen the F/A's politely ask that they put them back down. As far as the kids issue, most people don't have the sacks to tell people that their kids are acting like little bratts. I DON'T tolerate the kicking and jumping thing on my chair though. I will turn around and tell the parent to control their child.
What gets measured gets done.

JGPH1A

Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:58 am

Quoting Pilotboi (Reply 22):
But it's trying to prove the point that you sometimes have to work through the people standing in line in the aisle.

Yeah, and the point would be..? If the message is "Don't get up and stand in line for the bathroom", either quote the necessary Federal statute, or shut up. Either that or make the aisles wider so people don't have such a hard time.

Mir

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:03 am

Stupid? I'm pretty sure that on just about all the flight's I've been on, they say "don't stand in line for the bathroom."

I've heard them say not to congregate up by the cockpit (which would be first class anyway), but I've never heard them say not to stand in line for the bathroom, on DL or any other carrier. If nobody can wait in line, then as soon as somebody leaves the bathroom you have a rush of three or four people trying to get there at the same time. Lines of more than five or six people are admittedly excessive, but there's nothing wrong with a few people waiting.

Quoting Mcamargo (Reply 25):
As more aircrafts get new AVOD systems, could they essentially on the AVOD offer an option to be able to see if the bathroom is occupied? (and say that if it is, to be able to sign up to a queue?)

They could, but I honestly don't think it would be a very efficient use of the bathrooms. The first come first served method works fine.

-Mir

IcelandairMSP

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:58 am

I thought they were wonderful and amusing.

Quoting Mir (Reply 23):
But that doesn't answer the question of what the point of the whole thing is.

They're commercials. They are meant to amuse the youtube/blog surfing public by creating a set of videos in the funny-because-it's-true category of humor. People who fly with relative frequency have all experienced most if not all of the topics of the videos to some degree and turning them into a sort of inside joke with the air traveling public casts DL in a sensitive light. They understand your flight experience. They're self-deprecating.

I don't see how the point is being missed. They are commercials and by that they are meant to amuse and connect with viewers. What was the last commercial you saw that had some sort of thesis?

tcfc424

Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:25 am

It seems to me that the point of these videos is to remind people of experiences they have had flying. Most of these kinds of situations are memorable. What they are likely hoping for is that, while the experience itself may have been less than pleasing, you will remember where it was you were going at the time (and how enjoyable that was). That refreshing [personal] memory firmly in your head, you see the Delta logo and immediately purchase tickets to your next travel destination.

Also, this is simply a way for Delta to get their name in front of people. The more controversial/funny/odd these commercials are, the more views they will get and the larger potential reach they have. After all, it is YouTube. And from what I can tell...it seems to be working.

luv2cattlecall

Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:53 am

Great, now I have that "la la laa, la la laa, PLANGUAGE" song stuck in my head!

Quoting Flyboy80 (Reply 11):
OMg that is great. I bet the F/As at jetblue hate neelman for that one!!! OMG I'm laughing so hard right now.

I'm sure a few do but I've found that many B6 F/As, similar to WN ones, are very genuine in wanting to pax to be happy and really don't mind it. I gave blood right before a B6 flight once and must admit that I was slightly overusing the thing by asking for liquids and/or cookies a few times on a 90 minute flight (missing a pint of blood while in a dry and low pressure environment = bad combo) and I apologized as we were deplaning... she made me apologize for apologizing and said "I took this job to interact with pax, not to sit in a tube looking at clouds!" I don't usually defend jetBlue but I feel it's merited in this case.

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 18):
These videos will give some of those who unkowingly do these rude actions to realize their terrible behavior and perhaps stop.

That's a great point, it's hard for people to stop doing something if they don't realize they're doing it or how annoying/dumb they look because they continue a certain action. However, the Lav one..still not sure what the message there is? At least on Virgin America the dancing with funky lights would be plausible lol. I have to give the ad company credit for making the IFE monitors actually resemble the real things  thumbsup 

Like someone already said, it's usually just by the cockpit. I've noticed that WN spends an eternity explaining this rule and pointing out the lav occupied light overhead, on every single flight!

JGPH1A

Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:24 pm

Quoting IcelandairMSP (Reply 29):
They understand your flight experience.

Yes, but they don't DO ANYTHING about it ! Does the advert imply that DL will do something about badly behaved children on their flights ? Will Childrens' Tylenol and a roll of duct tape be provided with each child meal ? To me these commercials seem particularly callous. DL is saying "We know how god-awful it is to fly on our planes - but it's all your own fault !". The narrow middle seat one is particularly vicious - it acknowledges that middle seats suck, and that the armrests are too narrow, but tough buns honey, you have to learn to live with it. No DL - how about you make the planes more comfortable, ban small children and inconsiderate people, install more bathrooms etc etc so the whole experience sucks less ? That's what we are paying you for.

ClearedDirect

Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:26 pm

Love the voice of the pilot coming on saying "Does anyone know what Japan looks like from the air?"
That was great....

RL757PVD

Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:50 pm

They need to make oen about people who get up to use the restroom during beverage service, and cant get back to their seat because the cart is in the way...

on another note, i dont get why some of you dont get about the purpose of it. its pointing out stuff that everyone already knows, whether its good or not. Delta is able to make fun of themselves and their passengers without making anyone look bad.

As for what they will do with it, it seems to me like itd make for a good intermission piece for the horizons inflight entertainment offerings.

JGPH1A

Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:35 pm

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 34):
Delta is able to make fun of themselv

I don't see much self-mockery going on, I'm afraid.

Mir

Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:43 pm

Quoting IcelandairMSP (Reply 29):
What was the last commercial you saw that had some sort of thesis?

Commercials do have theses. The thesis is that you will be better off buying their product. All DL is saying here is that some things on airplane trips can be irritating. This is not a secret to anyone who flies coach. The ads make the point that "boy, flying can sure suck." They offer no solutions to the issues they present. There is nothing that suggests that you would be better off flying DL over another competing carrier, so as an ad I don't think it works.

Quoting Tcfc424 (Reply 30):
It seems to me that the point of these videos is to remind people of experiences they have had flying. Most of these kinds of situations are memorable. What they are likely hoping for is that, while the experience itself may have been less than pleasing, you will remember where it was you were going at the time (and how enjoyable that was). That refreshing [personal] memory firmly in your head, you see the Delta logo and immediately purchase tickets to your next travel destination.

What other airline advertises based on crappy in-flight experiences? I don't think most people connect the idea of a particular destination that they may have enjoyed to the negative experiences they had getting there. It might actually be a disincentive to book tickets.

Quoting ClearedDirect (Reply 33):
Love the voice of the pilot coming on saying "Does anyone know what Japan looks like from the air?"
That was great....

That line was quite good.

-Mir

star_world

Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:27 pm

I really hope they got these done for free.....  Yeah sure

JGPH1A

Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:42 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 36):
It might actually be a disincentive to book tickets.

It wouldn't necessarily put me off, but it doesn't say "I'm Delta, Fly Me" very much. These ads just say "Flying can be tedious and unpleasant. We'd like to help, but we're sh** out of ideas"

Mir

Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:26 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 38):
These ads just say "Flying can be tedious and unpleasant. We'd like to help, but we're sh** out of ideas"

To me they say: "Isn't it funny how much of a pain flying can be? Deal with it."

And yes, it's not really a disincentive to fly DL, but it doesn't make me want to book the MCO-NYC flight I need to book with DL as opposed to CO, B6 or any other carrier, either.

-Mir

IcelandairMSP

Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:45 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 36):
They offer no solutions to the issues they present. There is nothing that suggests that you would be better off flying DL over another competing carrier, so as an ad I don't think it works.

But the point is that they aren't trying to thrust at you a "we are better than everyone else" or "buy our product" message in the direct sense. Take a look at the clips:

In the first, an ill-behaved (presumably) businessman has gotten a middle seat and deems his location reason enough to grab both. You all know these last-minute-booked type people who think they deserve more for not getting their business class upgrade. The two kids are minding their own business and the man is intruding on their comfort.

In the second, kids are let to do what they wish along with their apathetic parents (notice the flash to the mother seemingly numb to her kid kicking the seat). The man is victimized by the irresponsibility of parents who are a) flying with small children and b) not paying the slightest attention to how their children comport themselves. Are there any large airlines that consistently lack an abundance of small children in economy class?

In the third, the woman has innocently done what we all must do at times throughout the day and, due to the small aisle size, must navigate back to her seat in the uncomfortable squeeze back to her seat. By way of the row being narrow, something that is common to all economy class cabins on all airlines that I have flown on, the dance required is often awkward.

The final one doesn't need much explanation. The woman is selfish. Probably another one used to business class that didn't get her upgrade.

Notice that in no case is Delta indicted for the discomfort of these flying experiences. Rude,demanding business people can make flying lousy. Children unrestrained (as they seem to be more and more these days) are rarely amusing. Babies cry. People need to pee and, short of taking out a row, there is always going to be a squeeze to get past someone. It is the passengers that make the flying experience bad.

Where are the bits about lost/clearly mishandled luggage? F/A's with the look of death in their eyes? Snippy gate agents? Overbookings and delays? Just to mention a few instances where the airline is clearly at fault. Will they make those? Of course not. They will make them about the yocal with the far too big, overstuffed carry on who takes an hour to get it in the overhead forcing half the plane wait to sit down. Or probably the unnecessary conversationalist next to you. Or the napping guy whose head keeps drifting onto your shoulder.

The point is, Delta is trying to connect with the economy class fliers that put up with the bulls*** of the zounds of travellers out there who think the flight is taking off just for them. Delta knows its product isn't any better (and if so by only an infinitesimal margin) and to differentiate themselves, they are attempting to establish a humorous take on the irritants of flying that are, most logical people know, out of the airline's control. Unless you're AirTran and ask the kid and his parents to get off. If only they were at more liberty to do so . . .

JGPH1A

Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:57 pm

Quoting IcelandairMSP (Reply 40):
Delta knows its product isn't any better (and if so by only an infinitesimal margin) and to differentiate themselves, they are attempting to establish a humorous take on the irritants of flying that are, most logical people know, out of the airline's control

How does this differentiate their product though ? There's nothing amusing or noteworthy about a truly average flying experience. These ads all say "Our product is just as cramped and uncomfortable as everyone elses, and guess what, the plane will be filled with obnoxious and inconsiderate people as well. Welcome aboard".

In consumers' minds, the onboard product should be something that DL have control over - the crampedness certainly is, the shortage of restrooms maybe too. DL can't afford to do anything about it, it's true, but nor are they incentivised to do so by product initiatives on other carriers (there aren't any). Still, why remind people ? Most people (unlike a.nutters) don't fly because they like going on planes, they fly because they need to get places. The onboard experience in most cases is blanked out fairly quickly unless something truly exceptional happens (either exceptionally good or exceptionally bad). These ads are reminding people that flying is a commodity, so get on Orbitz and book whatever's cheapest, because whatever you do, it's going to suck.

DL787932ER

Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:07 am

Am I the only one who noticed that the plane at the beginning of "Shady Lady" appears to be a DL Airbus 319? Maybe I should have saved that observation for the next DL/NW merger conspiracy thread  stirthepot 
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

Mir

Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:19 am

Take a look at the clips:

I did watch all four of them.

Delta knows its product isn't any better (and if so by only an infinitesimal margin) and to differentiate themselves, they are attempting to establish a humorous take on the irritants of flying that are, most logical people know, out of the airline's control.

Delta may know that, but that's not the image they should be projecting to the consumer. If they want to get people on their planes, they have to make their product seem better, even if it isn't. That's what the whole "Change is Delta" campaign was all about. Now they turn around and say "your crappy experiences are not our fault"?

It's especially ironic considering that the irritants on my last DL flight were directly attributable to the airline, not the people on the plane with me - the hellhole of a terminal they have in JFK, and the IFE not working.

-Mir

worldtraveler

Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:55 am

DL should get credit for at least bringing some light to the selfishness of an aweful lot of people - something few other companies have even bothered to do. How many cell phone commercials have you seen with people yacking on their phone while driving in the left hand lane while traffic is backed up behind them and not a car in front of them for a half mile? Sometimes the best way to bring about change is just to bring people's behavior to their attention and let them know the rest of the world finds it offensive.

flybyguy

Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:48 am

They are really advertising how horrible it is to fly economy class... not so good when the only thing different about your airline is the fact that a handful of planes got long overdue paint jobs.

I think they should spend money on actually becoming a BETTER airline (i.e. better ontime performance, better legroom in economy, customer minded and more informed staff) rather than spending so much money on re-branding and cartoons that only remind people how terrible flying has become.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

luv2cattlecall

Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:08 am

Cmon, I can't be the only one who had the song stuck in my head!

delta fly boy

Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:51 pm

Some situations or individuals are so common in air travel - such as the passenger in the middle seat - that they deserve their own terminology. That’s the idea behind Planeguage, (plane + language) a series of tongue-in-cheek animated short videos designed to bring to life the frequently funny and perhaps profound experiences of commercial air travel.

“Creating these animated shorts allows us to easily share these experiences with customers on various media, such as our blog.delta.com, or on the in-flight entertainment system coming in December,” said Jaime Jewell, general manager-Corporate Sponsorships and Event Activation. “YouTube, iTunes and other media will follow soon so we can all laugh about the travel experience together.”

The first four Planeguage shorts to premiere are The Middle Man, The Shady Lady, Lav Dance, and Kid-tastrophe, with more to follow. They highlight typical characters or behaviors that have become familiar to airline passengers worldwide.

“Consumers are more engaged in air travel than in any other business, and they've been sharing their experiences with each other on chat rooms and blogs for years,” Jaime said. “Now, thanks to the advent of engaging social media, we’re using this as a way to better connect with our customers in addition to the recent SiteSeer Travel Cast series and Challenge as well as blog.delta.com. We also think it will help raise travelers' consciousness about what it means to be good travel companions for their fellow fliers.”

pilotboi

Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:11 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 43):
If they want to get people on their planes, they have to make their product seem better, even if it isn't.

Although this is the more "business-like" thing to do, I don't agree with it. That's practically false advertising, and I just can't stand that, myself. I'd rather a company tell me the truth then lie to me just to use their product or service. Besides, what are they going to advertise...two armrests for every seat? wider aisles? shades that always work? or no crying babies? Those are all not going to happen or can't be promised - and most consumers know this. I think these videos were made for the 'smart' consumer that can laugh about these things we expect in this industry.

Mir

Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:38 pm

Quoting Pilotboi (Reply 48):
I'd rather a company tell me the truth then lie to me just to use their product or service.

If Delta thinks that they can't overcome some obnoxious passengers in order to deliver a good flying experience, then what's the point of them even doing all the things they did as part of the rebranding?

Besides, what are they going to advertise...two armrests for every seat? wider aisles? shades that always work? or no crying babies? Those are all not going to happen or can't be promised - and most consumers know this.

I don't think anyone seriously expects them to offer those things, but there are other things they could do. They could talk about their new cabins, they could talk about better service, they could talk about the IFE that they're bringing online. Even if a really obnoxious passenger comes along and screws it all up, at least it shows that they have pride in their product. And after all the money spent on the new Delta campaign, to say "don't blame us if your flight isn't enjoyable" sends a very mixed message.

Take a look at AA's "we know why you fly" ads. I'm not a fan of the airline or their service, but I have to give them credit for those ads, because they do send the message that the airline cares. Of course, the airline then has to deliver on that ad on the plane, but I'd rather the service rise to meet the advertisement than the advertisment sink to meet the service.

Although this is the more "business-like" thing to do, I don't agree with it.

Neither Southwest nor JetBlue are "business-like" airlines, but they still talk about their service in their ads (as well as their fares). Neither of them talk about how other passengers can screw over your flight. Everyone knows that can happen, and they don't need to be reminded.

-Mir