quagmire123

Skybus A Go To New York/Stewart

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:15 pm

Skybus formally announced service to New York/Stewart today. Tickets are already on sale through the SX web site. This route could be really big....however, I am not familiar with Stewart...is it easy to get into the heart of NYC via this airport?

BlueElephant

RE: Skybus A Go To New York/Stewart

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:20 pm

I just saw this...Did they just start selling tickets?

This could be big!

quagmire123

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:22 pm

I am really curious.....I thought I've read things about Ryan Air wanting to possibly start flying into SWF....could this be the beginning of a partnership to have ULCC travel to Europe?

charlipr

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:26 pm

Just checked...LOTS OF $10 tickets available!!!!!!!

deltairlines

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:26 pm

Quoting Quagmire123 (Thread starter):
is it easy to get into the heart of NYC via this airport?

Depends. SWF is right along I-87, but the access roads from the terminal to I-87 are pretty poor - a lot of looping around. There's a train station in Salisbury Mills/Cornwall but trains are pretty inconvenient, especially after rush hour.

ikramerica

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:27 pm

Stewart is a good move. It's a better option than Islip, as it takes traffic from southern new york, connecticut and far northern New Jersey/Northeastern Pennsylvania. And there's rental car options. Public transit into NYC? Not so much...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

quagmire123

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:29 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 5):
Stewart is a good move. It's a better option than Islip, as it takes traffic from southern new york, connecticut and far northern New Jersey/Northeastern Pennsylvania. And there's rental car options. Public transit into NYC? Not so much...

After a little more research is says there is a shuttle bus you can hop on for $1 which takes you to the Metro North Train line that goes right into Grand Central Station.

richierich

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:30 pm

is it easy to get into the heart of NYC via this airport?

In a nutshell, NO. I'm sure Skybus will hype this as "New York" not the more appropriate "Newburgh", but there really is not a lot of public transportation there. It would probably take more than 3 hours, typically, to get to Midtown unless you luck out with bus and train times, etc. And a train ticket to GCT is probably $15 each way. Driving to Midtown Manhattan is probably a 90 minute affair, and that's when the Tappan Zee is flowing normally.

Glad to see SWF getting new service though.
None shall pass!!!!

thirteenright

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:30 pm

This is a great move, but is SWF-CMH really that big of a route? I could see the attraction to flying SX if it was easier to connect but having to check and then recheck your bags is a nightmare.

wjcandee

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:32 pm

Quoting Richierich (Reply 7):
Driving to Midtown Manhattan is probably a 90 minute affair, and that's when the Tappan Zee is flowing normally.

Driving from JFK to Midtown is also often a 90-minute affair.

quagmire123

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:33 pm

Quoting ThirteenRight (Reply 8):
This is a great move, but is SWF-CMH really that big of a route? I could see the attraction to flying SX if it was easier to connect but having to check and then recheck your bags is a nightmare.

Well, the number of possible connections you can make yourself are starting to increase greatly with all these new routes. If you had a decent amount of time in between connections I'm sure people wouldn't care that much about it. Small price to pay for having the really cheap seats. Besides, what would you be doing during a two hour layover somewhere anyways?

FFlyer

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:34 pm

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 4):
Depends. SWF is right along I-87, but the access roads from the terminal to I-87 are pretty poor - a lot of looping around. There's a train station in Salisbury Mills/Cornwall but trains are pretty inconvenient, especially after rush hour.

New access road and I-84 exit will be completed soon. Also a new I-84/I-87 intersection is under construction, but it looks like it's going to be awhile before it will be done.

Stewart seems to be on it's way to become a real LCC airport. JetBlue and Airtran are already there, now Skybus. Is Southwest going to be the next one?

UN_B732

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:37 pm

jetBlue failed on JFK-CMH with loads of $39 fares. I don't see CMH out of SWF working for SX, though I think SWF-BUR or SWF-GSO (given B6's success on JFK-CLT) would be successful.

-A
What now?

BlueElephant

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:40 pm

I bet this decision was related to the fact that B6 is pulling out of CMH.

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 12):
SWF-GSO (given B6's success on JFK-CLT) would be successful.

By the way...anyone Notice yet...That is Two Flights daily to SWF..from both CMH and GSO? Total of 4 flights a day.

Glad there will be a low cost carrier on the route...I could see this being popular....I bet the big next thing will be somewhere in the Chicago area....

P.S. It's only a matter of time before the Skybus Bashers get in on the action in this thread...Have fun Folks!

[Edited 2007-11-01 09:41:38]

itsnotfinals

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:47 pm

A nice twist for SX! I hope they can accelerate some of their deliveries, they are going to be very tight on aircraft with very little room for irregular ops.

CMH posted 20% year over year growth for the month of September too as was reported in the Business Journal yesterday, so this will only help that number with B6 pulling out.

[Edited 2007-11-01 09:49:34]
Speedbird 178 Heavy, FINAL runway 27L

mnevans

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:05 pm

Yep! Looks like tickets are on sale. Just got mine for the second weekend of January. Can't wait!

gregarious119

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:09 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 13):
By the way...anyone Notice yet...That is Two Flights daily to SWF..from both CMH and GSO? Total of 4 flights a day.

Glad there will be a low cost carrier on the route...I could see this being popular....I bet the big next thing will be somewhere in the Chicago area....

Yeah, I just noticed that nobody seemed to mention this.

2 x CMH
2 X GSO

itsnotfinals

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:17 pm

n a nutshell, NO. I'm sure Skybus will hype this as "New York" not the more appropriate "Newburgh",

nope, they spell out Newburgh directly in their announcment email

"Announcing $10 fares to New York/Stewart"

"New York/Stewart (SWF) is located just north of New York City in the Hudson River Valley. With this exciting new destination, Skybus Airlines gives travelers a gateway to New York City, upstate New York, northern New Jersey, and Connecticut. "

FlyPeoria

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:23 pm

Quoting Gregarious119 (Reply 16):
2 x CMH
2 X GSO

Does anyone believe SX will also start service to ISP? The huge NYC metro area (18 mil) probably could support SX service to more than one area satellite airport.

I'd be surpised if SWF didn't get additional route on SX to Punta Gorda and St. Augustine.

luv2fly

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:25 pm

Please if B6 could not get people to go to New York proper, not take people more than a 90 minute ride away, why do you think this will be the best thing since sliced bread?
You can cut the irony with a knife

ADXMatt

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:29 pm

Quoting FlyPeoria (Reply 18):
Does anyone believe SX will also start service to ISP?

WN would not allow it. WN would add flights to CMH and undercut The Bus. It would drive SkyBus right off the island.

ikramerica

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:37 pm

Quoting Quagmire123 (Reply 6):
After a little more research is says there is a shuttle bus you can hop on for $1 which takes you to the Metro North Train line that goes right into Grand Central Station.

That doesn't sound too bad. Have to add the metro north ticket to the fare as well, but it's cheaper than a cab from LGA.

If Stewart was smart, they'd make the shuttle free. What's the point of a nominal $1 charge?

STT757

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:40 pm

I am not familiar with Stewart...is it easy to get into the heart of NYC via this airport?

60 miles to Mid-Town, terrible traffic jams at the Harriman tolls and Tappan Zee Bridge.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

richierich

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:42 pm

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 9):
Driving from JFK to Midtown is also often a 90-minute affair.

Try 30 minutes off-peak and an hour (typically) during rush hour. The longest ride I've ever had Midtown-JFK was still less than 90 minutes... most of that was thanks to the Midtown Tunnel. A rush hour departure to SWF could mean two or more hours behind the wheel.
None shall pass!!!!

FWAERJ

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:43 pm

As soon as JetBlue left CMH, I saw this one coming. Is GYY next on the Skybus route map? One can only hope...
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

quagmire123

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:45 pm

I'm thinking if your final destination is the city of New York itself, you're probably going to elect to take the train rather than get behind the wheel.

richierich

Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:13 pm

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 17):
nope, they spell out Newburgh directly in their announcment email

OK - then that's fine.

"Announcing $10 fares to New York/Stewart"

"New York/Stewart (SWF) is located just north of New York City in the Hudson River Valley. With this exciting new destination, Skybus Airlines gives travelers a gateway to New York City, upstate New York, northern New Jersey, and Connecticut

I hope this isn't what you mean by 'spelling it out' because the word Newburgh doesn't even appear in your quote. But the words 'New York' are there three times.

Hey, I'm not knocking their decision to fly to SWF but they should call it what it really is: Newburgh. As far as I know, the airport has not changed their name to "New York/Newburgh", at least not yet.

Quoting Quagmire123 (Reply 25):
I'm thinking if your final destination is the city of New York itself, you're probably going to elect to take the train rather than get behind the wheel.

Then that is going to be a big problem for people who think SWF is "New York" as in "New York City"... SWF has much worse public transportation options than EWR, LGA or JFK. Maybe (hopefully) that will change one day but right now there is nothing good. I like SWF because I own a car and it is cheap to park there but if I relied on the train or bus, it would be a distant fourth choice. Maybe even fifth behind HPN.
None shall pass!!!!

ScottB

Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:59 pm

Skybus formally announced service to New York/Stewart today.

Interesting idea, but wrong routes. 2x to each of CMH and GSO will be difficult to consistently fill. Now, SWF to SGJ/PGD I can see as working, at least in the high season. JetBlue is somewhat higher-cost than Skybus, but not that much higher. If they couldn't support a similar number of seats to CMH profitably from a more convenient NYC airport, I don't see how SX will.

"New York/Stewart (SWF) is located just north of New York City in the Hudson River Valley.

Well, "just north" of New York City isn't quite accurate. Yonkers and White Plains are "just north" of NYC. Stewart can draw from a fairly sizable region, including motivated people from NYC, but it is a good hour-plus from NYC with no traffic. If things go south on the Tappan Zee, well, you'll be buying another ticket.

Quoting FFlyer (Reply 11):
New access road and I-84 exit will be completed soon. Also a new I-84/I-87 intersection is under construction

The I-84 exit helps if you're coming from I-84, but the Thruway exit to Stewart is one and the same as the exit to I-84. The biggest bang-for-the-buck would be to build an interchange for SWF on the Thruway.

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 21):
Quoting Quagmire123 (Reply 6):

That doesn't sound too bad. Have to add the metro north ticket to the fare as well, but it's cheaper than a cab from LGA.

You do really need to be looking for a bargain, though; the travel time to Grand Central from Newburgh (via Beacon) is a good two hours. Leaving, you need to depart Grand Central a minimum of three hours before your SX departure. It also does NOT operate on weekends or major holidays.

jimbobjoe

Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:51 pm

Well as far as I can tell, the Beacon station is about 80 minutes from Grand Central. Ticket price is about $15 peak one way and $11 off peak. Add to that the $1 one way for the bus from that Beacon station to the airport.

It's not bad if the fare is right. When I left New York for Columbus last, it took 2 hours on the Subway/Bus to get from Flatbush to LGA. Of course, I already had an unlimited metrocard for that.  Smile

CMHSRQ

Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:56 pm

Anyone notice that the CMH flights start the day B6 leaves?
The voice of moderation

boeingpride800

Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:36 pm

Is there any chance Skybus entering service into SYR? or ALB, ROC, BUF, etc.?

Im hopingg

ikramerica

Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:43 pm

Metro-North seams to be examining a Stewart express train of sorts, or at least expanded service.

http://www.topix.com/city/salisbury-...o-north-to-study-access-to-stewart

Just a blurb, but recent news regarding access to Stewart Airport.

STT757

Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:00 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 31):
Metro-North seams to be examining a Stewart express train of sorts, or at least expanded service.

NJ Transit Operates MTA's West of the Hudson Rail service from Port Jervis and Spring Valley to Hoboken, the Port Authority and MTA are looking at building a spur from the Salisbury Mills station on NJ Transit/ MTA's Port Jervis line to SWF. It's about 3 miles from SWF to the Port Jervis line at Salisbury Mills, however even with "Express" service they are projecting a 70 minute ride.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

FLYB6JETS

Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:01 pm

Paging Captain Obvious.....

Quoting ADXMatt (Reply 20):
WN would not allow it. WN would add flights to CMH and undercut The Bus. It would drive SkyBus right off the island.

I say squash them like a bug
"If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going!"

atlaaron

Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:25 pm

Could it be the other way around? Perhaps B6 knew SX was coming to NY and decided to get out? It obviously would have further depressed yields.

AlitaliaMD11

Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:48 pm

Great news for my local airport!  Smile

I'll be sure to photograph the inaugural flight.

I'm curious if JetBlue will now be prompted to act on their constant talk of adding more flights to SWF.
No Vueling No Party

BlueElephant

Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:49 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 19):

Please if B6 could not get people to go to New York proper, not take people more than a 90 minute ride away, why do you think this will be the best thing since sliced bread?

Quoting FLYB6JETS (Reply 33):
Paging Captain Obvious.....

I agree with you it is obvious...But There seem to be some people who don't see that.

Quoting CMHSRQ (Reply 29):
Anyone notice that the CMH flights start the day B6 leaves?

I saw that when I put in my post....Quite interesting. Definately helps in understanding why they did this.
Frankly...I found it a bit random and unexpected...

BlueElephant

Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:05 pm

Quoting ATLAaron (Reply 34):
Could it be the other way around? Perhaps B6 knew SX was coming to NY and decided to get out? It obviously would have further depressed yields.

I'd like to think that but I don't think so.

A.) Nobody really knows where SX will serve because its kept private till the last minute. We can only speculate...and speculating to a point where you drop a city before knowing an airline is coming in, is quite dumb.

B.) Jet Blue decided that CMH wasn't profitable, I bet that a number of their BOS passengers were taken by SX operating to PSM. That probably didn't help seeing as they were operating on a 90 passenger ERJ19....even If SX took 10 passengers from B6, its probably a problem.

As for NYC, I know that Delta and US operates to LGA, and DL also to JFK, and CO operates to EWR. But these flights all these flights operate with a number of connecting opportunites. If NYC is your final destination...Then tickets are a minimum of $150 using those airlines.

hope that helps.

spinkid

Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:11 pm

This is great news for those of us living in Western Connecticut and the lower Hudson Valley. It doesn't replace service to JFK from B6, well for me it does, but it will only draw people for the cheap fares.

I might even fly to Greensboro, heck for $10 why not.

quagmire123

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:54 pm

This is one thing I hate about SX currently.....if you're going to advertise Boston and New York you should fully expect that a good number of your pax are going to try and get to the heart of the city that you're advertising....yet, Skybus's web site nor do most of the web sites of the airports they fly in to clearly tell you how to accomplish this. It seems such an easy task for Skybus to put these kinds of answers on their web site, but yet they seem to choose to let people figure it out for themselves.

itsnotfinals

Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:06 am

Quoting Quagmire123 (Reply 39):
yet, Skybus's web site nor do most of the web sites of the airports they fly in to clearly tell you how to accomplish this

you might have missed this link:

http://ask.skybus.com/info/destinations.shtml

Each city has extensive information, including this for Newburgh:

New York/Stewart, NY

Overview
Stewart International Airport is located just outside Newburgh, NY in the Hudson Valley, 55 miles north of New York City. Situated at the intersection of Interstate Routes 87 and 84, it provides easy auto access and convenient public transportation to New York City and the entire Hudson Valley.

Nearest Major Cities
New York, NY is approximately 55 miles, or 1 hour away by interstate highway.
Albany, NY is 82 miles, or 1 hour and twenty minutes away by interstate highway.
White Plains, NY is 52 miles or 50 minutes away
Location/Directions
Stewart International Airport
1180 First Street
New Windsor, NY 12553
Tel: 845 564 2100
Fax: 845 567 0532
Email: lestepa@swfnv.com See a map of the area

Directions
From I-84: Take Exit 7 South *proceed onto Route 300 South for approximately three miles; Turn right onto Route 207 West. Airport entrance is one mile ahead on the right.

From I-87 (NY State Thruway) Take Exit 17 and follow signs to 17K. Once on 17K make a left onto Route 300 South.
*Follow directions from above.

Parking and Available Transportation
Parking Facilities
Short term and long term parking is available.

Bus
SHORTLINE TERMINAL, NEWBURGH
(800) 631-8405;
(845) 561-0734 (Newburgh Terminal)
www.shortlinebus.com

Car Rental
Avis (800) 331-1212
Budget (800) 527-0700

Trains
METRO NORTH
(800) 638-7646
www.mta.nvc.nv.us

Port Jervis Line offers direct link to Hoboken, NJ via Salisbury Mills Station

Hudson Line offers direct link to Grand Central Terminal via Beacon Station

AMTRAK
(800) 872-7245

Full service stations are located close by in Poughkeepsie, Croton-Harmon

Shuttle
NEWBURGH-
BEACON-
STEWART LINK
Leprechaun Bus Line Provides passengers a hassle free and inexpensive alternative mode of transportation over the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge which provides connections between Metro-North's Train Station in Beacon, the NYSDOT's Park & Ride Lots (on RT 17K & on Rt.9D at the Dutchess County Transportation Center next to the Stadium) and Stewart International Airport.
The cost is $1 per boarding, or free for Metro-North UniTicket customers.
For current schedules and route map: www.leprechaunlines.com or call 800 638 7646

[Edited 2007-11-01 17:09:56]

FLYB6JETS

Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:12 am

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 36):
I agree with you it is obvious...But There seem to be some people who don't see that.

Lol, I was just yanking your chain.
"If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going!"

ikramerica

Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:24 am

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 40):
Full service stations are located close by in Poughkeepsie, Croton-Harmon

What's close by? 26-30 miles? Just a brief walk with luggage...  Wink

gsoflyer

Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:12 am

I read somewhere when doing a google news search while I was in the UK that Ryanair and Skybus were trying to join to sort of share routes. Ryan Air to the US and use the Skybus model like people in Europe use their model.

Man, now if RyanAir could come to the Skybus focus cities, that would be huge. Would never happen, but it would cut my commute to the UK down by a few hours.

abrelosojos

Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:24 am

Quoting AlitaliaMD11 (Reply 35):
I'll be sure to photograph the inaugural flight.

= I have not done a first flight from a first airport in a while. I am scheduled to be in Barbados and might reroute flight back to CCS to do this. Anyone else want to be join me on the first flight ... come on, there must be some SX fans out there  Smile? Besides, I have never flown them.

-A.
Live, and let live.

AlitaliaMD11

Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:36 am

Quoting Abrelosojos (Reply 44):
I have not done a first flight from a first airport in a while

I'm hoping to get another one of these:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gordon Gebert JR

It was a very cold morning but it was worth it!
No Vueling No Party

billreid

Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:58 am

Quoting Gsoflyer (Reply 43):
Man, now if RyanAir could come to the Skybus focus cities, that would be huge. Would never happen, but it would cut my commute to the UK down by a few hours.

One small killer factor US Customs Clearance. Ryanair wants the fees removed from this process and have interest in going into cities where passengers can be processed and the costs are low.
GSO Nope
SWF Nope
and on and on and on.

The Skybus model does not mate with Ryanair because they have to meet at airports that are designated for US Customs. Additionally, the customs fees at the tertiary airports add about $2,500 per operation over traditional airports because of the structure of US Customs.

I really don't envision Ryanair saying "gee, an additional $25 per pax over the other airport, no problem we'll pick that one up."
Some people don't get it. Business is about making MONEY!

gsoflyer

Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:22 am

Quoting BillReid (Reply 46):
One small killer factor US Customs Clearance. Ryanair wants the fees removed from this process and have interest in going into cities where passengers can be processed and the costs are low.
GSO Nope
SWF Nope
and on and on and on.

Are you sure Greensboro doesn't have customs clearance of some sort? How do the process the true international flights whether they are cargo or ferries from Africa, Asia, Middle East or Europe? And what about the upcoming international FedEx flights. They'll have to have a way to process the international cargo as well as the crew and ferried passengers on those flights too, right? How do the process international diversions that we get here too (I know Canada doesn't count as customs typically happen on the Canadian side), but we have gotten Mexico and South American diversions here.

Maybe I am wrong, I have very little knowledge of what it actually takes to set up customs clearance. But maybe if the costs is split between the two airlines?

neuroticdave

Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:40 am

Honestly, SWF is a pretty out of the way airport. Its even past West Point. Youd be lucky to make it into the city in 90 minutes, especially during rush hour. Sometimes getting around the city alone can take 90 minutes, well enough from up there. Ive driven up to Croton-On-Hudson, and thats a nice 75 minute + ride, so be afraid. SWF is a nice airport for people who dont want to deal with JFK/LGA/EWR and dont mind the long drives. But for business and leisurely passengers, I doubt it will have much success. I actually just earlier saw on the news that the Port Authority was taking control of it as of today. Only time will tell really...

rampart

Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:37 am

I'm sure Skybus will hype this as "New York" not the more appropriate "Newburgh",

Quoting Richierich (Reply 26):
Hey, I'm not knocking their decision to fly to SWF but they should call it what it really is: Newburgh. As far as I know, the airport has not changed their name to "New York/Newburgh", at least not yet.

SWF is now a Port Authority airport, along with JFK, EWR, LGA, and TEB, with an official press conference just today. So, PANJNY is counting on developing this as one of the New York metro area's airports, and may well advertise itself as "New York/Newburgh" in the future. PANYNJ hopes many more airlines call on SWF with a permanent and reliable presence. As mentioned previously, and in the press conference today, considerable money will be invested in terminal expansion and access, both rail and road.

I recall that several major airlines would list ISP and HPN as "New York area" in addition to the major 3 airports, so not a huge departure there. There may be a few travellers who don't think and end up with a confused flight to a location distant from the intended destination, but would that happen any more than with any of the other NYC metro airports, or with LAX, BUR, SNA, ONT, LGB, or MIA, FLL, PBA, etc.? All those are served by major airlines, so the confusion wouldn't be limited to Skybus or other LCC airlines.

I think people will use SWF for what it is, a good point to access the northern metro area and the Hudson Valley, or, if you don't care about the distance, an excuse to get a darned cheap flight to New York City proper.

-Rampart