felipemia89

Being A Commercial Pilot Help...

Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:15 pm

Hi guys.. Im 18 years old at the moment and I plan to study some type of engineering at a University in chile.. When I finish college I would love to start my path on becoming a commercial pilot. My career lasts 6 years in chile for a professional degree.. I will be around 24-25 years old when I finish. Then I want to play my cards and start training for my commercial pilot license.. Do you think the market will be going well for pilots by then? Do you guys think I still have a chance at that age?? Hopefully I can start by getting my private pilot license before I graduate and be a step ahead. I think i will definitely take my courses in the US since its better overthere but much more costly.. Oh well but it will pay-off in the long run.. Give me your opinions please...

pilotboi

RE: Being A Commercial Pilot Help...

Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:56 pm

It's never really too late to become a commerical pilot (unless ur nearing 60). But if you really want to make it your career, I'd recommend you just start on it right now. Why get the engineering degree if your not going to become an engineer? If you still want to do that, just start flying as soon as you can. The earlier the better, that's the name of the game. The sooner you can get done and get hired the sooner you can get in line to move up. Remember, it's all about senority. I've never really heard of anyone that wants to be a pilot but then waits to start (unless it's because of money). But everyone's different.

richm

Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:13 pm

As implied above, getting an a degree in engineering will be somewhat silly/pointless if you wish to become a pilot. If you want to continue with education before going directly into employment, then surely it would make more sense to study something more relevant to your chosen career.

This may be of no relevance in this case, but I thought I'd point it out anyway; There is sometimes confusion between a commercial pilot and an airline transport pilot. If you wish to fly for an airline, you will need to attain an ATPL eventually. (Airline Transport Pilot Licence)

[Edited 2007-11-02 12:14:30]

nema

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:10 pm

Dont know what its like in the US, but across the pond here in Blighty a fine route to commercial airline piloting is via a career in the RAF. All expenses are then paid for, plus a great carreer to boot.
There isnt really a dark side to the moon, as a matter of fact its all dark!

AF340

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:13 pm

Quoting Felipemia89 (Thread starter):
some type of engineering

Quoting Richm (Reply 2):
As implied above, getting an a degree in engineering will be somewhat silly/pointless if you wish to become a pilot. If you want to continue with education before going directly into employment, then surely it would make more sense to study something more relevant to your chosen career.

Aeronautical engineering?

AF340

Fly2HMO

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:40 pm

Quoting AF340 (Reply 4):
Aeronautical engineering?

Knowing how to build a wing isn't going to be of much help when your number 3 engine is up in flames Big grin  duck 

Honestly though, at least in the U.S. most airlines *usually* don't care what degree you have, as long as you have one. You could have a PHD in bovine psychology and they'd still hire you.

I'd say in your case just pick a degree you'd be interested in and fly on the side.

From what I've heard demand for pilots should decrease slightly within the ten next years (we're at a peak right now), but there should be plenty of positions still by the time you get all your training done.

Right now I'm at ERAU and in my last year here. I'm pretty much done with flight training and I'll be getting my degree in aeronautical science with a minor in aviation weather. I've been really happy here and you might want to consider a reputable school like ERAU, UND, or Purdue, but bear in mind this route is not for everybody.

It's just one of the myriad of options out there.  Smile

USAF336TFS

Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:25 pm

Quoting NEMA (Reply 3):
Dont know what its like in the US, but across the pond here in Blighty a fine route to commercial airline piloting is via a career in the RAF. All expenses are then paid for, plus a great carreer to boot.

It's exactly the same way here in the United States. Air Force or Navy flight time is very much counted by the FAA.
I think the thread starter is asking about Commercial certification. But your advise is quite right. And now that there seems to be a worldwide shortage of pilots, the timing doesn't get much better. Something I'm seriously considering, even at my age of 47.
336th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Wing, Seymour Johnson AFB

LAXspotter

Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:55 pm

Quoting Richm (Reply 2):
As implied above, getting an a degree in engineering will be somewhat silly/pointless

Well, most airlines need a Undergraduate Degree, now so I'm also going to college at the moment for that. Its quite sad, I have yet to tell my friend that Airlines dont hire High school dropouts  Big grin

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 5):
Knowing how to build a wing isn't going to be of much help when your number 3 engine is up in flames

LOL
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

Mir

Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:55 pm

If you're going to be going to college outside the US, I'd recommend trying to get in with an airline's ab initio training program. Most major non-US carriers have them, provided you have the proper citizenship/visa and language skills. Some don't even require that.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Charliejag1

Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:58 pm

Quoting Richm (Reply 2):

If ANYTHING is relevant to flying, its engineering.

Keep in mind, you might change your mind when you get into engineering. This is another reason why education is a great idea beforehand. Go to school!!

bok269

Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:29 am

Quoting Charliejag1 (Reply 9):

If ANYTHING is relevant to flying, its engineering.

Not to mention, if the industry takes another downturn, you will have a back up plan. You could go work for an aircraft manufacturer, still working with aircraft. Or you could go to a completely different industry. Same holds true for many other subject areas.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

Charliejag1

Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:30 am

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 10):
Not to mention, if the industry takes another downturn, you will have a back up plan.

Excellent point!

felipemia89

Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:18 am

I'm not even sure if I'm going to stay in Chile. I might go back to the US and start college in fall 2008. Before then I would definitely get done with as much as I can with the licenses and then ease up when college starts.. Thanks everybody with your knowledge and support...

Fly2HMO

Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:31 am

Good backups that would keep you in the industry would be ATC, dispatching, AME, airport management etc.

[Edited 2007-11-03 00:31:35]

Mir

Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:43 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 13):
Good backups that would keep you in the industry would be ATC

ATC isn't the best backup, unfortunately. You can't get hired past 30, and you do have to pass a medical exam every year. So if you find yourself out of work beyond 30, or have medical problems, it's going to be useless.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

LAXspotter

Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:43 am

Go to school!!

you sound like my Parents  duck  , Go get your degree before flight school

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 13):
ATC, dispatching, AME, airport management etc

how would one go about Airport Management? I know all the others.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson