HermansCVR580
Topic Author

Any Detroit Metro Books?

Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:38 pm

Just wondering if anybody knows if there are or were any books out there on Detroit Metro? I know George Hamlin did a great book on ATL a few years back. Now that Detroit Metro will be a new airport pretty soon I was just wondering if anybody wrote any books on the old DTW?? I know it was a horrible design but I miss the old Davey terminal  duck   eek   fight 
The right decision at the wrong time, is still a wrong decision. "Hal Carr"

WA707atMSP

RE: Any Detroit Metro Books?

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:18 pm

As far as I know, there has never been a book published about DTW, or any of the other airports in the Detroit area.

I wrote the first formal history of DTW, which was published as a magazine article about 15 years ago. When I was researching the article, I discovered that the Wayne County Road Commission (the owners of DTW) had virtually no historical records, and the information they did have was inaccurate. I did most of my research at the Burton Historical Collection of the Detroit Public Library, and at the University of Michigan's libraries.

I've thought about expanding the article into a book, but I would probably have to self publish it, and I'm reluctant to take the financial risk to do that.

There was a nice book about GRR published about 20 years ago, though.
Seaholm Maples are #1!

Tom in NO

RE: Any Detroit Metro Books?

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:46 pm

Quoting WA707atMSP (Reply 1):
There was a nice book about GRR published about 20 years ago, though.

In that same vein, I've got a great pictorial history of MKE, written by George A Hardie, Jr., and published by the Friends of the Mitchell Gallery of Flight (MKE's museum). There are also pictorial histories of ATL and DAL written by George W Cearley, Jr.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina