HermansCVR580
Topic Author

Any Detroit Metro Books?

Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:38 pm

Just wondering if anybody knows if there are or were any books out there on Detroit Metro? I know George Hamlin did a great book on ATL a few years back. Now that Detroit Metro will be a new airport pretty soon I was just wondering if anybody wrote any books on the old DTW?? I know it was a horrible design but I miss the old Davey terminal  duck   eek   fight 
The right decision at the wrong time, is still a wrong decision. "Hal Carr"

WA707atMSP

RE: Any Detroit Metro Books?

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:18 pm

As far as I know, there has never been a book published about DTW, or any of the other airports in the Detroit area.

I wrote the first formal history of DTW, which was published as a magazine article about 15 years ago. When I was researching the article, I discovered that the Wayne County Road Commission (the owners of DTW) had virtually no historical records, and the information they did have was inaccurate. I did most of my research at the Burton Historical Collection of the Detroit Public Library, and at the University of Michigan's libraries.

I've thought about expanding the article into a book, but I would probably have to self publish it, and I'm reluctant to take the financial risk to do that.

There was a nice book about GRR published about 20 years ago, though.

Tom in NO

RE: Any Detroit Metro Books?

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:46 pm

Quoting WA707atMSP (Reply 1):
There was a nice book about GRR published about 20 years ago, though.

In that same vein, I've got a great pictorial history of MKE, written by George A Hardie, Jr., and published by the Friends of the Mitchell Gallery of Flight (MKE's museum). There are also pictorial histories of ATL and DAL written by George W Cearley, Jr.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos