LAXDESI
Topic Author

Spain Woos IT For Madrid Hub

Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:12 pm

Spain woos Kingfisher for Madrid European hub.
http://avindia.blogspot.com/
Geographically, Madrid makes less sense then say Vienna or Munich as it will entail significant backtracking for connecting flights to NA. HEL is an ideal location.

Kingfisher's stated strategy is to offer non-stop flights to NA, and not go through an European hub.

Quotes:
Spain is in advanced talks with Indian private carrier Kingfisher Airlines to make Madrid its European hub for onward flights to the US and South American destinations, an official said Thursday. "We are in advanced talks with Kingfisher and hope to see progress," Enrique Ruiz e Lera, director of the Spain Tourism Board for India, Southeast Asia, Australia and New Zealand, told IANS here.

"We had previously spoken to Jet Airways to make Madrid its European hub. Brussels offered them a better deal but we hope for better luck with Kingfisher," the official added.

RAFVC10

RE: Spain Woos IT For Madrid Hub

Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:09 am

Sounds great but I think that Madrid, actually is very collapsed.

Barcelona would be another chance with more space and slots available to be the Kingfisher European hub but all of this is political...

Regards,

Gerard
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

PavlovsDog

Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:32 am

They're welcome to come to Oslo. We could certainly use more long-haul flights and the airport infrastructure is outstanding. Easy in, easy out. I imagine the 2nd terminal, now under planning, could be built to accommodate the 380 as well if they were committed.

Personally I'd go for Düsseldorf or Milano. Milano is especially attractive with AZ pulling out.

IBERIA747

Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:04 am

Quoting RAFVC10 (Reply 1):
I think that Madrid, actually is very collapsed

confused  With a capacity for over 70 million pax and current traffic figures about 20 million pax below that (about 51 millon expected to be reached in 2007) there's still a lot of room for growth. That said, I would not describe MAD as "collapsed".

Quoting RAFVC10 (Reply 1):
Barcelona would be another chance with more space and slots available to be the Kingfisher European hub

BCN will indeed boast a huge increase in capacity after the new Terminal South enters service. However, I don't think it will ever be able to reach the 120-ops-per-hour capacity MAD has.

Anyway, it could also be seen as a "potential" candidate in case the geographical situation of Spain is convenient/adequate for the airline's plans.

Saludos.
¡¡VIVA ESPAÑA!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos