gkirk

BA To Drop Gatwick-Aberdeen

Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:31 pm

Apparently, BA are set to drop ABZ-LGW after March 08, presumably due to Houston moving to Heathrow.

Been some rumours about EDI and GLA to LGW being dropped also.

How long until BA have no domestic routes?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

by738

RE: BA To Drop Gatwick-Aberdeen

Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:54 pm

BA will not give up their verry lucrative LHR routes from GLA , MAN etc. THe rumours re LGW have been denied. The service from LGW is atrocious with usual delays and cancellations.

jacobin777

Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:15 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Thread starter):

..you mean "London Airways".. devil 
"Up the Irons!"

albird87

Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:44 pm

Wouldnt suprise me if BA does this.... I mean LHR- GLA/EDI/ABZ/MAN are always busy and have a good amount of flights a day between them.

I can just see BA using LGW for the tourist traveller and moving all domestic (of which there aint many now a days!!) services to the fortress that is LHR!!!

Sketty222

Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:48 pm

Ive heard from BA crew that they intend to restart the LGW-NCL service and may stop the LHR-NCL service. I hope this isnt the case, how am i meant to go on holiday  Smile
The LHR service is always quite busy as well

Lee
There's flying and then there's flying

sam1987

Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:49 am

Apparently, BA are set to drop ABZ-LGW after March 08, presumably due to Houston moving to Heathrow.

Presumambly this is just a rumour so far?

It wouldn't surprise me if BA dropped some of their domestic routes from LGW, as they need more slots for new leisure flights, now U2 has got their GT slots.

Surely EDI and GLA to LGW can be sustained though? Don't quite a few passengers feed into the long haul leisure flights?

Quoting Sketty222 (Reply 4):
Ive heard from BA crew that they intend to restart the LGW-NCL service and may stop the LHR-NCL service

Very unlikely. Since LS have been operated the LGW to NCL route, loads have gone way down. NCL is also an important feeder for LHR services.
Next flights: LGW-LBA-LGW, LHR-SIN-SYD, SYD-BKK-LHR, LGW-GRO, GRO-CIA, CIA-MAD, MAD-LGW

sandyb123

Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:12 am

From EDI-LGW there has been under investment for years with BA flying shabby old 737. EDI-LHR is better on A320 / 757 as this carries a lot more of the business market along with EDI-LCY on Avro 100.

There has been increasing competition on EDI-LGW over the years from LCC but only Scotairways (now Cityjet) on the City route and Bmi on LHR. If BA pull out of LGW it will be a great victory for the LCCs. And how long until someone offers real competition on the City route?

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

AIR MALTA

Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:15 am

Ive heard from BA crew that they intend to restart the LGW-NCL service and may stop the LHR-NCL service.

Well I would not be suprised if that happened. Does anyone remember LHR-BFS??!!
The situation is not sustainable anymore at LHR and it is frustrating BA has to drop some routes to start other routes at its main hub...
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

BCALBOY

Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:33 pm

Quoting BY738 (Reply 1):
BA will not give up their verry lucrative LHR routes from GLA , MAN etc. THe rumours re LGW have been denied. The service from LGW is atrocious with usual delays and cancellations

Don-t confuse heavy loads with profit. I certainly don-t think BA would describe their LHR domestic services as very lucrative! They are important as feeders and cover their costs but don-t make big profits in their own right.
LGW punctuality is generally better than LHR !

Quoting Sandyb123 (Reply 6):
There has been increasing competition on EDI-LGW over the years from LCC but only Scotairways (now Cityjet) on the City route and Bmi on LHR. If BA pull out of LGW it will be a great victory for the LCCs. And how long until someone offers real competition on the City route?

Cityjet fly 6 times per day on LCY marketed by AF . How wud you define 'real competition " ?

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 7):
Well I would not be suprised if that happened. Does anyone remember LHR-BFS??!!
The situation is not sustainable anymore at LHR and it is frustrating BA has to drop some routes to start other routes at its main hub...

BA was losing a lot of money on LHR/BFS...so it wasn-t just the slots ...it was stem the losses as well especially fter 09/11 when conserving cash was paramount. LHR/NCL does reasonably well Theres a lot of feed and a fair proportion of full fare traffic .I think there are a number of European routes that would go before NCL if slots were required.

At LGW BA have announced they will start services in their own right to AGP,FAO,IBZ,PMI.GIB,TUN.
They obviously need aircraft time and slots to introduce these flights.
The rumour here is that LGW/ABZ and LGW/NCE will fund part of this. Haven-t heard anything internally although I think it would take more than these two routes to resource the new services.

ABZ looks like an obvious candidate .
The arrival of BMI on LHR/ABZ has affected the fortunes on that route.
The load factor on LGW/ABZ is probably higher than LHR...BA/BMI operate 13 flights per day on a route that
carries not many more psgrs than BMI as sole operator carry on LHR/BHD with only 8 flights per day !
Note that BMI have switched > 50% of their flights to 50-seaters due feeling the pinch.

With IAH/DFW/ALG moving to LHR the need for a LGW link disappears and BA will hope to improve LHR
performance by moving LGW traffic to LHR.

Looks like it might be an opportunity for Easyjet or Flybe.

Lets hope for CO's sake they manage to get the slots to move their IAH services to LHR !

by738

Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:02 pm

Quoting BCALBOY (Reply 8):
Don-t confuse heavy loads with profit

The GLA/EDI shuttle routes have been quoted as being some of the most profitable routes in the European network, and thats without Club Europe. For the tranfer passengers alone they remain extremely lucrative.

BCALBOY

Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:33 pm

Quoting BY738 (Reply 9):
The GLA/EDI shuttle routes have been quoted as being some of the most profitable routes in the European network, and thats without Club Europe. For the tranfer passengers alone they remain extremely lucrative.

Quoted where and by whom ?

I said they were important for feed .

EDI is good the others are ok but def not top routes in European network.

sandyb123

Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:03 pm

Quote:
Cityjet fly 6 times per day on LCY marketed by AF . How wud you define 'real competition " ?

Well you quote load factor and seats available as an important factor in route sustainability, so look at the facts:

BA EDI-LCY
8 return flights daily
112 seats per RJ100 = 896 seats a day each way
By my own experience of flying this route regularly it is a very popular flight

Cityjet (Scot airways)
7 return flights daily
33 seats per Dornier 328 = 231 seats a day each way
Again, by my own experience this isn't a busy flight

Although Cityjet are putting more 146 / RJ100 aircraft into this route it's not a high profile brand in Scotland, Scot airways mostly got it's business from corporate contacts.

Now if I remember correctly the A318 is type rated for the STOL at LCY. So there is fleet compatibility with, for example Easyjets A319s which means that they could bring in a A318 and compete with BA. Their Avros are getting on a bit and are not comfortable jets in my experience . Also, Easyjet have been making serious inroads into the business market so it is not inconsevible for a major LCC or competitor to come into EDI-LCY.
Member of the mile high club

Glom

Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:47 pm

Now how am I supposed to get to Trinidad? Trying to optimise their ABZ-IAH route by concentrating it on LHR is fiddling once the extended ABZ runway comes along and airlines start flying the route directly.

by738

Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:54 pm

Quoting BCALBOY (Reply 10):
EDI is good the others are ok but def not top routes in European network.

I apologise, I didnt realise you had access to presumably highly sensitive profit details regarding the BA network.

No 1 Quote "BA has 12 flights a day from Edinburgh to Heathrow and a further 6 to Gatwick, with the routes understood to be among the most profitable on the flag carrier’s global network"
http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=79892002

No.2 quote ( from a paper copy of Scotsman Newspaper Tue 10 Jul 2007),
Willie Walsh talking at the time of the FlyBE takeover of UK routes
"these routes are still BA mainline, to Gatwick Heathrow and London city and are still highly profitable"

A340600

Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:05 pm

I hope this isnt the case, how am i meant to go on holiday

Quoting Glom (Reply 12):
Now how am I supposed to get to Trinidad?

It wouldn't be the end of the world, there are ways between the airport other than a day long horse back ride Wink

Quoting Sam1987 (Reply 5):
Surely EDI and GLA to LGW can be sustained though? Don't quite a few passengers feed into the long haul leisure flights?

I really don't see EDI or GLA going, ABZ yes but not the other two, EDI especially does well for BA.

From EDI-LGW there has been under investment for years with BA flying shabby old 737.

BA's entire shorthaul network out of LGW currently is 737's bar very few A319 flights, it's not personal Wink I really don't know why people can complain about the 737 on the short domestic hops, the bulk of them are newer than the older A320's ex LHR which often fly domestic and it isn't as if they're exactly on their last legs! The -400's have also had new lighting fitted onboard. This disposable thought of aviation " if an aicraft is over ten years old it's worthless" is really saddening.
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

sam1987

Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:10 am

Quoting A340600 (Reply 14):
BA's entire shorthaul network out of LGW currently is 737's bar very few A319 flights

When will the Euro Gatwick fleet be fully Airbus?
Next flights: LGW-LBA-LGW, LHR-SIN-SYD, SYD-BKK-LHR, LGW-GRO, GRO-CIA, CIA-MAD, MAD-LGW

BFS

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:35 pm

Any hints where this rumour has come from?? I'm BA crew at LGW and the only rumour I've heard on Galley FM is that NCL may be coming back. Yes we have been told that some shorter routes may be dropped for the GT routes to be picked up, but nobody has suggested any of the domestic network.

Quoting Sam1987 (Reply 15):
When will the Euro Gatwick fleet be fully Airbus?

The A319s are due to arrive permanently next March, in drips and drabs, but the 737s are staying (-400s long term, -300s and -500s temporarily, until enough aircraft are delivered to replace them).

A340600

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:59 pm

When I was flying out of LGW on Thursday, at around 8.30am a BA A319 came in and parked on the domestic pier. It appears the base has a temporary A319 again, anyone know what routes it does etc?

gkirk

Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:19 pm

Quoting A340600 (Reply 17):
When I was flying out of LGW on Thursday, at around 8.30am a BA A319 came in and parked on the domestic pier. It appears the base has a temporary A319 again, anyone know what routes it does etc?

Edinburgh is one.

A340600

Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:35 pm

Just checked ba.com. It appears to operate the BA2940/1 and BA2946/7 rotations to EDI, and the BA2958/9 rotation to GLA, no Manchesters whatsoever, don't know about anything else.

vv701

Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:51 pm

Quoting A340600 (Reply 17):

The 319 currently operating in and out of LGW is G-EUPG. It is scheduled in the BA timetable to operate the following flights:

BA2931 EDI-LGW
BA2958 LGW-GLA
BA2959 GLA-LGW
BA2940 LGW-EDI
BA2941 EDI-LGW
BA2946 LGW-EDI

It overnights at EDI as does the aircraft operating BA1464 (LHR-EDI). So these two aircraft can be seamlessly interchanged. It is therefore likely that 'PG will soon be back in the BA Main Fleet at Heathrow.

The above flights appear in the BA timetable as 319 flights. This rather quashes the suggestion that on

EDI-LGW there has been under investment for years with BA flying shabby old 737.

as two rotations a day are not 737 flights.

Currently BA is the biggest domestic operator in the UK (closely followed by BD). According to the CAA in July 2007 - the last month for which statistics have been published - BA carried 423,136 domestic scheduled passengers or 21.3 per cent of the total of 1,986,957.

I suppose it is OK to ask how long it will be before BA has no domestic routes but with the feed into their international network they obtain from their current domestic services, their expansion earlier this year of stand alone services from LCY to both EDI and GLA and the size of their domestic operation in terms of passengers carried being around 10 per cent of their total operation the answer is clearly not "tomorrow".

OA260

Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:45 am

A F/A told me that LGW-Newquay is also likely to go.

Quoting BCALBOY (Reply 8):
BA was losing a lot of money on LHR/BFS...so it wasn-t just the slots ...it was stem the losses as well especially fter 09/11 when conserving cash was paramount

BA wanted to axe BFS well before 9/11 but political pressure was put on them to keep the route. In the end BA got their way amid much lobbying by NI political leaders. From January Aer Lingus will be the main player on BFS-LHR !! How times have changed .

Tristarsteve

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:30 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 21):

Yes it is going to Daily operation next summer!!

OA260

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:47 am

Quoting TristarSteve (Reply 22):

Just because its loaded into the system doesnt mean it will go . There are a number of routes still on sale in the system that are going  Wink

AIR MALTA

Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:59 am

What about LGW-AMS? How is this route performing? How come AMS survived when CDG, FRA, BRU or MUC didn't?

sam1987

Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:34 pm

Quoting BFS (Reply 16):
I'm BA crew at LGW and the only rumour I've heard on Galley FM is that NCL may be coming back.

Ah that would be good. LS is a bit of a shabby airline - I'm surprised BA dropped it in the first place.

Just because its loaded into the system doesnt mean it will go . There are a number of routes still on sale in the system that are going

Including the entire GT operation!

Isn't LGW-NQY already daily?

A340600

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:55 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 24):
What about LGW-AMS? How is this route performing? How come AMS survived when CDG, FRA, BRU or MUC didn't?

Well when I flew out and back last week on seperate days the flights were packed to the brim with 5 rows of club out and 3 back, not bad at all for LGW. They also seemed to have rejoined the civilised AMS gates again as we both arrived and departed through the D pier that LHR flights do. They had for some time been on the LCC cattle gates. Oh and if you ever want to get from the Polderbaan to the airport in half the normal time fly on a BA 737, we were literally being thrown from side to side the Captain was desperate to get on stand Wink

gkirk

Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:14 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 20):
Currently BA is the biggest domestic operator in the UK

I'd be very surprised about that. easyJet at least should have overtaken them by a mile.

David_itl

Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:32 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 27):
easyJet at least should have overtaken them by a mile.

Remember BA need the feed out of the regions to sustain their long-haul out of LHR.

vv701

Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:19 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 27):
I'd be very surprised about that. easyJet at least should have overtaken them by a mile.

Thanks for saying that. It made me check my facts. If "a mile" is less than a fairly substantial 96,157 passengers you are correct. I was certainly wrong. Sorry. Here are the top 5 scheduled domestic flight airlines for July 2007:

1. easyJet Airline. 519,293 passengers
2. British Airways. 423,136 passengers
3. bmi Group. 412,212 passengers
4. Flybe Ltd. 403,832 passengers
5. Loganair. 45,507 passengers

sam1987

Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:50 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 29):

I expect U2 are in the lead because of their non London services, such as:

BFS to BRS, EDI, GLA, LPL and NCL
BRS to BFS, EDI, GLA, INV and NCL

BCALBOY

Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:17 pm

Quoting BY738 (Reply 13):
No 1 Quote "BA has 12 flights a day from Edinburgh to Heathrow and a further 6 to Gatwick, with the routes understood to be among the most profitable on the flag carrier%u2019s global network

This quote is not from BA , its from a Scottish journalist writing in a Scottish newspaper.

Don-t forget Ryanair , they carried around 85-90k psgrs so abt twice the size of LC and will be growing quickly
with the addition of BHD routes. Air Southwest must also be cloase on the heels of LC with their
recent expansion.

bennett123

Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:28 pm

I think that they are talking UK, hence excluding FR.

vv701

Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:45 pm

Quoting BCALBOY (Reply 31):

Don-t forget Ryanair

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 32):

checkmark 
Here the key word is "domestic". As FR are not a British airline they do not report to the CAA on a monthly basis and their data will be included under "International" in any Republic of Ireland report.

BCALBOY

Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:53 pm

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 32):

Wasn-t clear to me we were talking UK Carriers only , thought the proposition was who carries most Domestic psgrs
in the UK. ,but not really that important.

The Domestic route data is reported by the CAA on a monthly basis regardless of nationality of carrier.

vv701

Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:09 am

Quoting BCALBOY (Reply 34):
The Domestic route data is reported by the CAA on a monthly basis regardless of nationality of carrier.

Yes. But no data in this section is given by airline and there is no breakdown by the nationality of the airline. The CAA only publishes data by airline for British airlines.

David_itl

Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:32 am

Quoting VV701 (Reply 35):
But no data in this section is given by airline and there is no breakdown by the nationality of the airline

But if there is only one carrier on the route, it does make it rather easy to work out, doesn't it.

AIR MALTA

Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:20 pm

Quoting BFS (Reply 16):
The A319s are due to arrive permanently next March, in drips and drabs, but the 737s are staying (-400s long term, -300s and -500s temporarily, until enough aircraft are delivered to replace them).

So if this happens, there would be no need to cut some other routes to accomodate new servives. BA is the only airline in Europe that only adds routes and frequencies only after it cuts some other destination and services. BA needs to grow now and to offer a better network to counter AF and LH. After BMED and GB airways franchise termination, BA's network shrunk drastically which is only good news for its competitors...

[Edited 2007-11-08 05:20:54]

APYu

Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:35 pm

In response to AirMalta above - The 319s arent arriving to increase the size of the base significantly, it will be to replace the 737's in an order which reflects their age and lease expiry dates. Some of the 737 leases were recently extended to account for the fact that the Gatwick fleet replacement will happen over a number of years with the 734 being the last of the 737 type to be replaced in several years time. Bringing in 319s to LGW on more than a one for one basis for the 737s may allow some of the additional services to be operated but I think that would be a very small number of aircraft, maybe even 2 or 3 additions, but in the main they are arriving in dribs and drabs to replace gradually the 737 fleet.

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 37):
BA is the only airline in Europe that only adds routes and frequencies only after it cuts some other destination and services. BA needs to grow now

Downside of not having the cash to burn over recent years to get new aircraft. The new additional 777s and then the 787s arrival will probably be the times when we will see significant route expansion. At the moment theres insufficient capacity in the fleet to do much other than chop and change in response to market conditions. With the success of their cost cutting programmes and recent aircraft orders we will hopefully see more expansion in the next few years than has been possible over the last 4 or 5.

[Edited 2007-11-08 05:37:20]
We'd like to welcome in particular our Executive Club members and those joining us from our Oneworld alliance partners.

vv701

Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:53 pm

Quoting David_itl (Reply 36):
But if there is only one carrier on the route, it does make it rather easy to work out, doesn't it.

Over to you then!

EGNM-LBA

Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:25 pm

Passengers on domestic flights by airline (aug2007)

580,152 EASYJET
447,027 BRITISH AIRWAYS
420,198 FLYBE LTD
278,336 BMI BRITISH MIDLAND
161,836 BMIBABY LTD
114,261 RYANAIR

Quoting David_itl (Reply 28):
Remember BA need the feed out of the regions to sustain their long-haul out of LHR.

Total oneworld traffic at LHR in aug2007 = 3,110,920.
Of which, domestic traffic = 277,710
Assume 50% connecting = 138,855 connecting passengers
So, 138,855 connections into 2,833,210 total = 5%.
Only 5 domestic routes left with BA into LHR, so each roughly contributing 1% (EDI/GLA much busier than ABZ/NCL/MAN though)

sam1987

Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:07 am

Quoting Egnm-LBA (Reply 40):
114,261 RYANAIR

I can't think of many FR domestic flights in the UK:

EMA-INV
PIK-STN
PIK-BOH
PIK-BHD
STN-NQY
BHD-LPL
BHD-STN
BHD-EMA

Any others?

BAxMAN

Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:01 pm

I was going to post earlier in this thread slagging off the OP for making groundless rumour appear as fact, but lost interest halfway through typing my post.

Anyway, it seems gkirk (or his accomplice) was on to something. LGW-ABZ availabailiy has been zeroed out from 29MAR07 onwards (only full J available) which is a surefire indication that the route is a dead man walking. As said above, it seems the oil routes which are now being moved over to LHR were the only reason this route was maintained.
I need to get laid

SKAirbus

Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:07 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 2):
..you mean "London Airways"..

Well there isn't really a market for British Airways from any other UK city..... That gap has been filled by LCC such as Easyjet, Ryanair, Jet2 to name but a few! UK is a country of regional airports... thats why Flybe is doing so well..

But seriously if LGW routes aren't working financially for BA, they should drop them... That's business for you...
Next Flights: LHR-OSL (738), OSL-CPH (320), CPH-LHR (321), LHR-HEL (359), HEL-LHR (359)

edina

Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:30 am

Quoting Sandyb123 (Reply 11):
Their Avros are getting on a bit

They're actually newer than the 737s, 757s and older Airbuses that also operate to EDI........

Quoting OA260 (Reply 21):

Been cabin crew myself for the last 22 years & there are always Galley FM rumours about new routes/axed routes & they are just that........Galley FM! Certainly within BA it's the City that gets to know before we on the frontline do.
Worked on - Caravelle Mercure A300 A320 F27 SD3-60 BAe146 747-100/200/400 DC10-30 767 777 737-400 757 A319 A321

EGNM-LBA

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:32 pm

Quoting Sam1987 (Reply 41):
I can't think of many FR domestic flights in the UK:

EMA-INV
PIK-STN
PIK-BOH
PIK-BHD
STN-NQY
BHD-LPL
BHD-STN
BHD-EMA

Any others?

Remember this is Aug-07 data, so BHD hadn't started. The breakdown of the 114,000 passengers is

ABZ-LPL 4,237
BOH-PIK 9,829
Derry - LPL 8,316
Derry - EMA 6,244
Derry - PIK 6,396
Derry - STN 16,399
INV-LPL 4,496
INV-EMA 4,161
NQY-STN 10,232
PIK-STN 43,887

AIR MALTA

Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:54 pm

Quoting BAxMAN (Reply 42):
Anyway, it seems gkirk (or his accomplice) was on to something. LGW-ABZ availabailiy has been zeroed out from 29MAR07 onwards (only full J available) which is a surefire indication that the route is a dead man walking. As said above, it seems the oil routes which are now being moved over to LHR were the only reason this route was maintained.

I tried to book a LGW-ABZ-LGW for Apr 2008 and the one way ticket cost 226 pounds while flights out of LHR cost 42 pounds. I think ABZ will get the chop!!!

sam1987

Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:59 pm

Quoting EGNM-LBA (Reply 45):
INV-LPL 4,496
INV-EMA 4,161

Interesting that INV to LPL got axed but INV to EMA didn't! Does this mean INV to EMA will get the chop too?

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 46):
I think ABZ will get the chop!!!

Such a pity. Maybe U2 will start LGW to ABZ instead?

nighthawk

Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:18 pm

Quoting Sam1987 (Reply 47):
Interesting that INV to LPL got axed but INV to EMA didn't! Does this mean INV to EMA will get the chop too?

ABZ is an expensive airport to operate out of, INV maybe breaks even with those loads

BA787

Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:47 pm

under investment for years with BA flying shabby old 737.

Not excactly what you'd call underinvestment. Yes, they are getting on a bit, but their 737s do the job as well as possible and some (only a few) are in better states than the older A32S. If it's underinvestment then all of LGW suffers the same fate, which some could argue is true. There isn't much difference between the two series interior wise, so I've never found the 737s too bad. And hope is not lost, BA are gradually phasing out the -300s and -500s(some a319s will arrive next year I think) but will keep the -400s on at LGW.

Suppose if the routes don't work that well and more profits can be made elsewhere, then so be it. You can't afford to be too kind on unprofitable routes in this industry any more.

BA787