vulindlela744

Will DL Begin Nonstop ATL-BOM Or ATL-DEL

Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:10 am

Does anybody have any insider info. as to whether Delta will begin ATL to Bombay or Delhi non-stops? With the large Indian population in Atlanta it seems that it could be a good route. They are getting the 777LR in 2008 so they would have the range

DL787932ER

RE: Will DL Begin Nonstop ATL-BOM Or ATL-DEL

Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:19 am

The first two 772LRs are going to JFK-BOM, and the 772ERs they replace will start ATL-PVG, which is obviously the first priority. I think you'll see ATL-India nonstop one day, but I don't think it's a high enough priority for the first 8 772LRs coming in in '08-'09.
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

rwsea

Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:28 am

Quoting DL787932ER (Reply 1):
The first two 772LRs are going to JFK-BOM, and the 772ERs they replace will start ATL-PVG, which is obviously the first priority. I think you'll see ATL-India nonstop one day, but I don't think it's a high enough priority for the first 8 772LRs coming in in '08-'09.

I agree. My personal prediction is that the second two 777LRs will go to ATL-PVG, with the 772ER moving from that route to JFK-DEL. Then the 3-4th would go to ATL-JNB.

commavia

Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:33 am

As Delta continues to grow and get more and more ultra-longhaul aircraft, I regard nonstop ATL-India as a matter of when, not if. It seems logical. Delta links everywhere else to their megahub at ATL nonstop, so why not a massive and rapidly-growing market like India?

deltal1011man

Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:43 am

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 2):
. Then the 3-4th would go to ATL-JNB

with the new flights goin to DKR its starting to become almost like a small Africa hub so i would bet that ATL-DKR-JNB will stay on the 764 and the 77Ls will go somewhere else (ATL-HKG or ATL-SYD maybe)
New airliners.net web site sucks.

DLOnur

Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:04 am

Bastian and Hauenstein have both said that ATL-JNB as a direct with no stop are priorities once the added long-range AC enter the fleet.

-o-
What you believe is what you see.

worldtraveler

Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:11 am

Once SA)">DL flies nonstop from the US to South Africa in both directions, they will command a hefty revenue premium between the US and SA. The potential is very high for ATL- SA service.

ATL-India does make sense in time but every new route that is added to the US by the Indian carriers makes it that much harder for any US airline to make India work. The Indian carriers are in kamikaze mode with all the growth they have on the horizon... the market simply will not be able to absorb it without substantial disintegration in revenues. The fact that this has happened in the Indian domestic market makes it almost a certianly that it will happen on int'l India routes.

If SA)">DL chooses not to add alot of add'l India service now (and those 8 LRs are coming within the next 2 years), SA)">DL will likely just add flights to East Asia, the Middle East, or Africa... none of which would disappoint me. ATL is a powerful hub and they can make alot of routes work but I remain skeptical as long as the Indian carriers continue to flood the US market with one new flight after another.

rwsea

Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:25 am

Quoting DeltaL1011man (Reply 4):
(ATL-HKG or ATL-SYD maybe)

ATL-HKG perhaps, but I give ATL-SYD a 0% chance. Just too far and expensive to operate a lower-yielding flight. And it's questionable whether the 777LR can do it nonstop with any sort of payload.

deltal1011man

Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:44 am

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 7):

"Delta will seek routes to Hong Kong, Singapore, Sydney and another frequency to Japan"
http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlan...ries/2007/04/30/daily3.html?page=3

now if i had to guess the NRT is for JFK but the HKG,SIN,SYD i will bet is for ATL (and i dont think it will be LAX they would get raped by UA,QF,SQ just to name a few IF(thats a big if) DL starts a LAX hub(to Asia that is) then i think they will wait for there 787s anyways
New airliners.net web site sucks.

DCAYOW

Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:30 pm

Geographically ATL-India only makes sense from the extreme Southeast US and maybe parts of Mexico and Caribbean. There are sizable populations of Indian communities in Suriname and Guyana. Deep So. America - like Buenos Aires and Sao Paulo will have far superior connections via DXB.
Retorne ao céu...

DAL767400ER

Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:29 pm

Well, DL has flown the 772 from ATL to BOM nonstop, so they at least already have some experience in the market  Silly . And at least one ATL-India route is pretty much a given. As said, the India market is huge, and even if Indian carriers are expanding to the US, their focus seems to be on NYC and the West Coast, with the Southeast being neglected, and while not as large as either of the 2 aforementioned markets, O&D of ATL plus connections should easily will up a daily 77L to India, perhaps even two. That said, I doubt we'll ever see DL attempt stuff like ATL-MAA or ATL-HYD.