Indy
Topic Author

Please Enforce Carry-on Size Rules

Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:01 pm

For the love of god would airline employees please enforce the carry-on size rules? I gets really old getting on a plane half way through boarding and having no space available because people want to bring their luggage on the flight. It also slows down the boarding process because people have to try and find a place to cram their huge bags. If it won't fit in those measuring displays that you see all over please make them gate check the bag. Eventually they will get the idea and quit bringing on all their luggage. I've seen two people take up an entire bin that should have gone to six people.

Am I alone in thinking this?
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

falstaff

RE: Please Enforce Carry-on Size Rules

Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:02 pm

Don't get me started on this topic. It seems more and more people carry everything on. The amount of crap people have is nuts.

You are right, it takes forever to board these days because of all the junk. Strollers, massive bags, etc. When I carry an item on I use a small bag, that is made for carry on. I have a couple of old NW carry on bags from years ago. They work great and fit under the seat perfect.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

TK787

Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:10 pm

Last week I was on a AA E-135 and you should have seen the size of the bags some people tried to bring on board.
How about this one? People that board last and sit in the front of the plane were told to put their carry-ons at the back of the plane, and when the plane lands they immediately stand up and try to go back to retrieve their stuff.

mcamargo

Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:10 pm

Correct me if i'm wrong, but don't some airlines actually encourage carry-on bags?

I'm thinking of CO in particular... don't they encourage carry-on when checking-in online and while on hold in their reservations line?
I live for the day mainline returns to BRO...

Indy
Topic Author

Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:28 pm

Its bad in the winter. You get these people with their pull behind suit cases that they stack another bag on as if that somehow becomes one carry-on. Then they have a briefcase, laptop bag, and a jacket. If you have a bag with wheels that you have to pull behind you I'd say check it. If its so big/heavy that you can't carry it you can't carry it on.

aswissinmad

Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:36 pm

I totally agree.... today we just had a 15 minutes delay because our ground staff in Toulouse just didn't feel like enforcing our carry-on policy and passengers were let o/b with up to 4 bags...boarding was just so slow it was really irritating...
I guess my airline now charging for every piece of checked baggage also has something to do with it, but still some common sense should apply. I've heard that there's a new EU law that is about to come into force that will limit the size and number of carryons going through security...does anyone know if it's still planned?

Indy
Topic Author

Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:45 pm

Quoting Aswissinmad (Reply 5):
I've heard that there's a new EU law that is about to come into force that will limit the size and number of carryons going through security...does anyone know if it's still planned?

I don't know but I wish the FAA could crack down on it. With security being such a concern these days it seems the more you allow people to bring on board the harder it is to screen it all.

HNLtrades118

Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:47 pm

I totally agree.... today we just had a 15 minutes delay because our ground staff in Toulouse just didn't feel like enforcing our carry-on policy and passengers were let o/b with up to 4 bags...boarding was just so slow it was really irritating...

In a way, that reminds me of flying AQ and HA here in the islands. All of us Hawaii residents, when visiting the neighbor islands, love to bring lots and lots of gifts back to our friends at home.

I'm pretty sure that the rule at our airlines is one carry on bag and one other item (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but scores of people (myself included) get away with bringing boxes and boxes of pastries, gifts, etc etc etc. Although it's a part of the culture, it really slows boarding down, especially if the flight is cattle-car packed.

Just a thought.
"Do not wait for extraordinary circumstances to do good action; try to use ordinary situations." -Sam Rayburn

deltairlines

Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:10 pm

1 bag plus 1 personal item is fine. The current size restrictions of a 22x14x9 bag max plus a briefcase is fine. Enforce anything more than that, but I've seen gate agents pretty good about only letting people on board with just the rollaboard and the briefcase. Part of the reason I make sure I qualify for elite status each year is to make sure I can get on early and put my suitcase in the overhead right above me - makes it a lot easier in that I can throw my suitcase right up above my head, put my briefcase at my feet and relax.

dfwmzuri

Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:17 pm

Quoting Indy (Thread starter):
would airline employees please enforce the carry-on size rules?

I whole heartedly agree. My carry on is 1 small flight bag, small enough that I can place under the seat in front for short flights. But on long hauls, I want it above me and my seat, not stored somewhere else on the plane. If my bin above my seat is full I'll ask my seat mate which bag is his (I always sit aisle) and will take out another and place mine there. People like to rush on the flight so they can store all their oversized bags and they use the bins that aren't theirs. This really irks me. Once we were delayed several hours out of Knoxville, TN on a Sunday because a man forced an oversized bag into the bin and broke the bin's door. The plane couldn't fly until serviced. Airlines: Please enforce your rules!

mham001

Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:26 pm

Quoting DFWMzuri (Reply 9):
If my bin above my seat is full I'll ask my seat mate which bag is his (I always sit aisle) and will take out another and place mine there. People like to rush on the flight so they can store all their oversized bags and they use the bins that aren't theirs.

I fully agree about enforcing the rules and have only one small bag myself, but if you take my bag out of a bin, you and I are going to have words. I have never seen any indication that the bin above the seat is reserved for those seats and I prefer to keep my bag just slightly ahead of my seat so I can quickly retrieve it as I'm passing by on exit. If you can show me where the bins are reserved for certain seats, so be it, otherwise keep your mitts off my stuff.

planespotting

Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:30 pm

Quoting Indy (Reply 4):
You get these people with their pull behind suit cases that they stack another bag on as if that somehow becomes one carry-on.

Which pull behinds are you talking about? I have a standard size one that is inline with carry-on requirements and it works just fine.

Except when I get on late and everyone else has stuffed all their crap in the bins and I can't find a place for my one piece...then the flight attendant usually makes a big deal about it and says things like "well now i have to check this! you can pick it up at baggage claim," and walks off in a huff.

It doesn't really bother me - I know FA's have demanding jobs, but don't act like I brought on some unbelievably sized piece of luggage that isn't ever going to fit in any bin on any airplane when the only reason it doesn't fit is because the rest of them are fully loaded. Argh!

So I'm usually in the #2 boarding group (I fly all UA) and get to the gate early, so I don't have to worry about it much.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

dfwmzuri

Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:48 pm

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 10):
I have never seen any indication that the bin above the seat is reserved for those seats

The bins do have numbers on them and I would assume that if my seat is 33B, which it was, than the bin with the number 33 was for me and my neighbor first, and if we have room left over, than bags from those near by or across the aisle. But if I'm following the rules why shouldn't my undersized bag be in the bin above me? I'm not about to walk up to Business or First and try to store my bag. I'd let the FA sort it out.

planeguy727

Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:54 pm

I must say that I love the rules that some euro carriers use of 1 carry on item, period. Makes sure everyone has space and then you don't get the passengers ignoring the request to put small bag under the seat (they just love to keep the underseat space empty and put tiny bags in the overhead in the US)...
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

BrianDromey

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:04 am

Quoting Planeguy727 (Reply 13):
I must say that I love the rules that some euro carriers use of 1 carry on item, period. Makes sure everyone has space and then you don't get the passengers ignoring the request to put small bag under the seat (they just love to keep the underseat space empty and put tiny bags in the overhead in the US)...

Actually in the UK they are very strict about ONE carry-on item and ONE carry-on item ONLY. Which is great becasue I can waltz onto the aircaft among the last to board and still find enough space to put my roll-aboard on, which can be quite heavy with a laptop and binders, etc in it.

While a pain at times, one carry-on is enough, IMHO.

Brian.
Next flights: MAN-ORK-LHR(EI)-MAN(BD); MAN-LHR(BD)-ORK (EI); DUB-ZRH-LAX (LX) LAX-YYZ (AC) YYZ-YHZ-LHR(AC)-DUB(BD)

baron95

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:05 am

For the love of god would airline employees please enforce the carry-on size rules?

Quoting TK787 (Reply 2):
you should have seen the size of the bags some people tried to bring on board.

because our ground staff in Toulouse just didn't feel like enforcing our carry-on policy

Do you guys think airlines do not know how to run their businesses?

Fact is that every bag carried by a passenger is one less bag that will be handled by a union guy, one less bag that will transit the airport bag belts, one less bag that can be lost, one less bag that can miss a connection and end up being delivered by courrier, one less bag that has to be screened by the airline, and MOST IMPORTANTLY one less bag taking space from revenue cargo.

Fact is that trying to enforce the size limit would create EVEN MORE DELAY by having people try to fit their bags in the measuring device, gate check them, etc.

Fact is that passengers are not stupid either. They are not going to risk lost bags, delayed bags, ripped bags or stand an extra 1/2 hour on landing waiting for their bags.

So face it. More bags on board is a win-win situation for all around. Give it up.
Killer Fleet: E190, 737-900ER, 777-300ER

Indy
Topic Author

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:11 am

Quoting Baron95 (Reply 15):
So face it. More bags on board is a win-win situation for all around. Give it up.

Not true. More bags on board means more gate checks. It means slower boarding. That gets expensive. You are worried about a union guy handling a few extra bags. What about 3 or 4 people having to deal with that gate checked bag?

You know what? Lets just make an example out of these people and this idea of letting everything through. From now I recommend nobody check bags. Bring everything through security. Make things so miserable for the gate agents and the ramp workers that have to deal with gate checks that they start enforcing bag size and limits at check in.

AirframeAS

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:13 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 6):
I don't know but I wish the FAA could crack down on it.

I dont think this is a F.A.A. thing. Its more of an airline thing.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

GPIARFF

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:37 am

I fly FCA/SLC/JFK about 3 times a year on Skywest/Delta. I usually am going only for a 2-3 day stay and after the first two times of not having any of my checked bags reunited with me until I was back in Kalispell I started packing a larger carry-on with all the stuff I needed for the trip. It's not huge, just usually a little lager than "permitted". I think if the general public had more faith that their bags would be with them at their destination more stuff would be checked. Almost everyone I know plays the " only check what you don't need " game. I know that the statistics for lost baggage aren't really high - but it's enough to change the way people pack their luggage. With more frequencies and less turnaround time than in the glory days of air travel, airlines just don't have the time to thoroughly track the checked luggage.
Pa chiye ladan dlo ou bwe ( don't crap in your drinking water )

AIR757200

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:44 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 17):

The current carry-on rule in the U.S. is a FAA regulation and airlines can be fined for not enforcing this regulation. Fines can be up to $25,000 per occurrence.

AA regularly reminds agents/curb-side, but again, lots of times, passengers conceal items and we can't always catch it (packing a purse inside a briefcase (the second item), then when on board, bringing it out, etc.).

luv2fly

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:45 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 6):
I don't know but I wish the FAA could crack down on it.

So true! Here is the problem who is going to be the luggage police? TSA, don't think so its not there job. Gate agent, there more worried about an on time departure, FA's there on the plane for our safety and not to monitor luggage. So tell me who's job it is.
You can cut the irony with a knife

TSS

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:58 am

Am I alone in thinking this?

No, you're not.

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 8):
1 bag plus 1 personal item is fine. The current size restrictions of a 22x14x9 bag max plus a briefcase is fine.

Not coincidentally, my carry-on bag is exactly 22x14x9 and my tote bag just barely fits underneath the seat in front of me. If I can pack a week's worth of clothing and assorted necessaries in these two bags, anyone can.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

skyhawk

Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:12 am

DFWMzuri-the numbers to which you refer are for the seats, NOT as you say the bins above them. The bins do not now, nor have they ever been assigned to a particular row. The bin over a row is usually used by the people sitting there so that they can "protect" their bags.

tsaord

Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:41 am

I saw an AA agent on her way to some destination. She had three bags! I'm not sure if she gate checked the roller but I thought to myself, "you are an agent and know the rules yourself yet not following them".

Unless Non revs can bring on more carry on's????
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

Indy
Topic Author

Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:59 am

Quoting GPIARFF (Reply 18):
I think if the general public had more faith that their bags would be with them at their destination more stuff would be checked.

I don't think that is the reason. I think people want to cheat the system and avoid having to go to baggage claim like everyone else. I think it is all about saving time.

bohica

Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:29 am

Quoting Mcamargo (Reply 3):
Correct me if i'm wrong, but don't some airlines actually encourage carry-on bags?

I'm thinking of CO in particular

You're right. CO was claiming they had larger overhead bins than other carriers. At the same time, UA was trying to limit the size of carry-ons and they put templates on the x-ray machines at IAD. If the bag didn't fit in the x-ray machine, it had to be checked. CO sued claiming they were at a competitive disadvantage and won. The templates had to be removed from the x-ray machines.

Once we were delayed several hours out of Knoxville, TN on a Sunday because a man forced an oversized bag into the bin and broke the bin's door. The plane couldn't fly until serviced.

I would think they could have just pulled all the bags from the bin, then the mechanic could tape the door shut and MEL the bin. I wasn't there so I don't know all the circumstances.

Quoting DFWMzuri (Reply 12):
The bins do have numbers on them and I would assume that if my seat is 33B, which it was, than the bin with the number 33 was for me and my neighbor first, and if we have room left over, than bags from those near by or across the aisle.

There is no set rule that the bin above your seat is assigned to you. However common sense should prevail. It is great if I can put my carry-on in the bin directly above my head, but if I have to put it across the aisle or up a row, it is no big deal.

Now it's my turn to vent. I am sick and tired of the passengers who board first and sit in the last few rows who drag everything including the kitchen sink on board. When they get in the first couple rows of Y, they store all their junk (yes I said junk) in the overhead bins because they are too f***ing lazy to take it all the way back to their seats. When I board, I have nowhere to put my bag. I finally find an empty bin in the last couple of rows above those same passengers who clogged the bins in the front of the cabin. At the end of the flight, I have to wait for everyone else to get off so I can go to the back of the plane to get my bag. If you can't take your crap to the back of the plane, check it.

Halophila

Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:45 am

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 8):
The current size restrictions of a 22x14x9 bag max plus a briefcase is fine

I must say that I love the rules that some euro carriers use of 1 carry on item, period.

(they just love to keep the underseat space empty and put tiny bags in the overhead in the US)...

Folks, IMO, its not the giant rollaboard that's the problem (the gate agents are usually good about picking out extraneously-sized bags and gate checking them). Its the people with the two bags (rollaboard and briefcase plus jacket, hat etc) who put EVERYTHING in the overhead bin. They should enforce the rule of one in the overhead and one under the seat in front. If people don't like having something around their feet, then take only one bag. Simple. Problem is, at present its a first-come, first serve deal... unfortunately people aren't considerate enough of other passengers.

Another problem is the "my jackets on top of my bag and I don't want it to get crushed" issue. There is sometimes plenty of useable space in the overhead but someone has their jacket on top of their briefcase which is a sure sign of "don't touch my stuff". Keep your jacket with you until boarding is complete.

I actually saw a young US Army sargent stuck in the middle seat of a 739 from SEA to SJC have to put his carryon duffel under the seat in front of him (and it stuck out into his legspace, while not one other person had anything like that. I took my [single] bag down and put it under the seat infront of me, but there still wasn't room.

I disagree. Make airlines and their respective baggage handlers more accountable financially through fines for delayed baggage and you'd see this situation improve. It's become a litle too acceptable that baggage is lost - fine the workers - or the unions - for each bag mishandled. I believe the EU has some regulations in place for compensation for late bags.
Flown on 707, 717, 727, 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 741 742 743 744 74SP 757 753 762 763 772 773 77W D10 DC9 M11 M80 M87

sh0rtybr0wn

Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:51 am

Air travel is survival of the fittest. You have to be more aggressive than the next person. Sometimes when I bring enormous carry-on baggage I think" What the heck, if I dont, somebody else will".

Nice guys and people who follow rules fall between the cracks at airports. You have to be on top of your game to fly these days, or you suffer.

SFOMB67

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:00 am

The bins do have numbers on them and I would assume that if my seat is 33B, which it was, than the bin with the number 33 was for me and my neighbor first

You're wrong.....First come, first served.

I dont think this is a F.A.A. thing. Its more of an airline thing

You are absolutely correct.

Quoting AIR757200 (Reply 19):
The current carry-on rule in the U.S. is a FAA regulation and airlines can be fined for not enforcing this regulation. Fines can be up to $25,000 per occurrence

I doubt if any airline has ever been fined for this!

Quoting Indy (Reply 24):
Quoting GPIARFF (Reply 18):
I think if the general public had more faith that their bags would be with them at their destination more stuff would be checked.
You're partially correct.

I don't think that is the reason. I think people want to cheat the system and avoid having to go to baggage claim like everyone else. I think it is all about saving time.

You're absolutely correct.

People that fly 2-3 times a week ,or more, do not want to spend an extra 30 or so minutes going down to baggage claim to wait for their bags when they arrive at their destination. These people are the frequent fliers with a ka-jillion miles in the frequent flier programs. They are also known as platinum, premier executive, etc. they carry a lot of weight and gate agent and flt attendants know better than to pi** them off! These customers have been known to write letters to airline executives and get airline employees fired or repremanded that pi**ed them off. Do you get the picture now?
Not as easy as originally perceived

mham001

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:02 am

Quoting Halophila (Reply 26):
They should enforce the rule of one in the overhead and one under the seat in front.

I've been told enough times by FAs that I can't have anything under the seat in front that I no longer consider it an option. I really don't know what to believe when.

Analog

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:37 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 14):

Actually in the UK they are very strict about ONE carry-on item and ONE carry-on item ONLY.

No they're not. They're strict about one item through security, not about one item onto the aircraft. If they were serious about allowing only one item there would be no duty free shops (or duty free could only be sold to people with zero carry on bags).

iairallie

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:57 am

they use the bins that aren't theirs

The bins are shared space and may be used by anyone ticketed in that cabin. It is poor manners to plop your bag in the first bin if you are seated in the back but it is not against any rule. It is reasonable to put your legally sized carryon in any available bin in the rows near yours it does not have to go in the bin above you nor is that space reserved for the person seated below. It is however very rude to remove someonelses bag and move it without permission.

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 10):
I have never seen any indication that the bin above the seat is reserved for those seats

The bins do have numbers on them and I would assume that if my seat is 33B

The numbers are ONLY there to help people find their seats with an easily identifiable eyelevel signage not to reserve that bin for a particular seat. LOL
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

iairallie

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:03 am

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 29):
I've been told enough times by FAs that I can't have anything under the seat in front

Huh? as long as the item fits COMPLETELY underneath the seat in front of you there are no restrictions. It can't be out in the aisle or on the floor at a bulkhead obviously.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

Indy
Topic Author

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:09 am

Quoting Sfomb67 (Reply 28):
These customers have been known to write letters to airline executives and get airline employees fired or repremanded that pi**ed them off. Do you get the picture now?

Yeah I know the type. I have no respect for them either. Maybe we should write letters to the FAA. If the FAA cracks down and airlines have to enforce the rules these fliers that think they are above the rules will be left holding the bag. hmmm... Pun intended perhaps  Smile

COSPN

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:11 am

SAN was the airport involved in the CO DL lawsuit CO won and the bags went through...

Continental Airlines Sues Delta Over Baggage Sizers
SAN DIEGO, November 24, 1998 -- Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAI.A and CAI.B) today filed suit against Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) to stop Delta from interfering with Continental's policy and operations regarding carry-on baggage. The lawsuit comes as a result of Delta's effort to restrict carry-on baggage of Continental and other customers at San Diego International Airport by the installation of baggage "sizers" on the security screening devices which Delta jointly shares with Continental and AmericaWest.

The suit, filed in the Superior Court of California in San Diego, seeks restoration of Continental's right to judge the suitability of its own customers' carry-on baggage.

Recently, Delta has retrofitted the airport concourse X-ray machine with its baggage sizers. These devices needlessly prevent Continental customers from traveling with carry-on bags that are generally accommodated aboard Continental's modern aircraft.

"There is a growing trend in this industry to take away customer comfort and convenience and Continental isn't going to be a part of that trend," said Mark Erwin, Continental's senior vice president of airport services.

"Continental customers shouldn't be penalized by Delta's imposition of its unfriendly baggage policies. We have our own policies for our customers and our new aircraft were designed with expanded overhead storage bins to accommodate our customers' needs," Erwin said. "In addition, we're investing millions to retrofit dozens of existing aircraft with the expanded bins."

In some cases, as a result of Delta's baggage sizers, Continental customers are sent back by airport security staff to the ticket counter to check their bags. As a result, Continental has hired a representative to assist its passengers in bypassing "bag jams" created by Delta's baggage regulations.

"Security staff shouldn't be distracted from their primary safety duties by having to perform as 'bag cops,'" Erwin said. "At airports around the world we share x-ray machines with other airlines. It is universally understood that the airline which operates the checkpoint will not use it to disadvantage other carriers or their passengers."

The lawsuit seeks damages against Delta for its interference with the contractual rights Continental has with its customers and for unfair competition, and also seeks injunctive relief.

Indy
Topic Author

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:36 am

This comes from AA.com

Quote:
FAA security measures limit customers on all AA flights to one carry-on bag plus one personal item.

What I have found is that it is up to the airlines to determine size but the FAA sets the limits. I see that rule broken on every trip. I see people taking a suite case, carry-on bag, brief case and computer. While the airline has a right to let you take a big bag on the plane they do NOT have right to let you take four items. It is a rules violation. I should go and sit at the B/C security checkpoint at IND and count the number of people that break the rules in a given hour. I bet the number is significant. Imagine how much faster the security checks would go if some individual wasn't feeding through a long line of personal items.

mham001

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:00 am

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 32):
Huh? as long as the item fits COMPLETELY underneath the seat in front of you there are no restrictions. It can't be out in the aisle or on the floor at a bulkhead obviously.

No, I have been told several times to remove it and it was put in the bin. Even a small package. I don't argue or ask questions. I haven't flown domestically lately though, all international. After the second or third time I just don't do it anymore but I have seen others reach the same fate.

abba

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:06 am

For the love of god would airline employees please enforce the carry-on size rules?

One thing is the size. Another is the weight!

I have once been asked to sit under a very heavy bag - one so heavy that the passenger (yes - it was a person in his prime) and a flight attendant in union had great difficulties getting into the bin as it was very heavy. I plainly refused to sit under it claiming that the weight restriction was there also for safety reasons and I didn't want to be the one to have this heavy thing coming down on the top of my head.

The FA gave me another seat.

Mcmax

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:23 am

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 11):
Except when I get on late and everyone else has stuffed all their crap in the bins and I can't find a place for my one piece...then the flight attendant usually makes a big deal about it and says things like "well now i have to check this! you can pick it up at baggage claim," and walks off in a huff.

Elite status matters. Since I got lowly Gold from Aadvantage, I'm the third group onto the plane (after First, Plats/ExecPlats), and normally don't have a problem with my overhead bags (generally the first couplw rows of coach). Of course, there was a couple weekends from ORD-SNA where there were a ton of Firsts, Plats and ExecPlats which complicated it all, but we managed our bags a row of two back.

Folks, IMO, its not the giant rollaboard that's the problem (the gate agents are usually good about picking out extraneously-sized bags and gate checking them). Its the people with the two bags (rollaboard and briefcase plus jacket, hat etc) who put EVERYTHING in the overhead bin. They should enforce the rule of one in the overhead and one under the seat in front. If people don't like having something around their feet, then take only one bag. Simple.

Amen. I get mad a the pre-boarding elites who do that because they feel they have the privilege of doing so. Unfortunately, the FAs cant's watch everyone boarding. I have heard them prevent some passengers from using the front-of-coach bins for back-of-bin passengers. I always make sue I compliment the FA on saying that to reinforce good behavior.

The bins do have numbers on them and I would assume that if my seat is 33B, which it was, than the bin with the number 33 was for me and my neighbor first

You're wrong.....First come, first served.

I think that's a valid assumption, but if are in a late boarding group, then the number 33 bin was probably already used by the 27ABC guys. It's basically a free-for-all these days.

I've been told enough times by FAs that I can't have anything under the seat in front that I no longer consider it an option. I really don't know what to believe when.

Unless you're seating the first cabin row, you can alway store things underneath the seat in the front of you, so long as it doesn't protrude out noticeably. (And make sure you're not in an exit row--they check the underseat storage a little more strictly there.)
De minimis non curat lex tamen ego curao

Maverick623

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:25 am

fine the workers - or the unions - for each bag mishandled.

And you'd have no one left to load bags. Should I be fined because a flight came in late with 250 connecting bags and yours happened to come off last, and you just happened to be first off the airplane and made it to your gate in time? Or how about if you're the guy stuck in secondary customs screening, and your bag comes up last behind 400 others for that departure bank, with no way to rush it through the TSA queue?

Stupidest. Idea. Ever.

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 31):
It is however very rude to remove someonelses bag and move it without permission.

Not in all cases. I usually do some rearranging of bags to maximize the space available. Usually the bag stays within 2 feet of where I move it from. You'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) at how much space is really available in overhead bins.

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 36):
No, I have been told several times to remove it and it was put in the bin.

My advice would be to take a camera. Next time that you are told to remove an item that you feel safely fits under the seat in front of you, take a picture of the item while it is placed under the seat, and write a letter to the airline explaining the situation. Remember, of course, the flight number and if possible the name of the person who told you to move it. Keep in mind too that exit row seats are watched more closely for obvious reasons.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

mham001

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:40 am

Quoting McMax (Reply 38):
Unless you're seating the first cabin row, you can alway store things underneath the seat in the front of you, so long as it doesn't protrude out noticeably. (And make sure you're not in an exit row--they check the underseat storage a little more strictly there.)

Ill let you argue with the FA who speaks little English, its not that big a deal to me, but it does happen. I'd rather have the leg room anyway.

Halophila

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:22 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 39):
And you'd have no one left to load bags.

The airline should take responsibility or have it shoved down their throats - accountability is key. All I'm saying is that its become far too 'acceptable' that checked luggage goes missing. I understand those folks taking stuff on board for fear of theft - my bags were delayed by a few days four times this year and has been increasing in occurrence over the last 6 years despite lower numbers of flights - but I'm convinced the answer isn't to encourage everyone to take everything on board with them.

The only way that will change will be either: 1) airlines priding themselves (and advertising to their passengers) on their low % of lost bags- could be used as a selling point not unlike on-time performance; or 2) cause financial strife to those who are responsible for the passenger's baggage (i.e. the airline). I don't think I understand the system well enough to suggest that the baggage handlers are to blame (you point out a couple of examples).

However, if baggage handlers say it's the airline's fault, and the airline says its the airports fault or *hand waving* some kind of *hand waving* operational error etc causing the delay in connections, then why on earth don't they compensate their schedules or enforce "must fly with luggage" policies that exist in other parts of the world? Probably because the connecting flights would be delayed, resulting in angry passengers, more missed connnections, a big mess for the airline. Net result? Backlash against the airline and financial penalties... Ultimately this would highlight an issue, and the airline would make changes to correct the problem. Right now something is falling by the wayside.

Should I be fined because a flight came in late with 250 connecting bags and yours happened to come off last, and you just happened to be first off the airplane and made it to your gate in time?

No you shouldn't, but the airline should be. And I think we all know how that would end up. How about start by paying their baggage handlers a decent wage as incentive to make all 250 bags make it to the connecting flight? Now you might say that will happen when passengers are willing to fork out 10% more for their airfares. But how about those folks in management at or near the top taking a hit?

Or how about if you're the guy stuck in secondary customs screening, and your bag comes up last behind 400 others for that departure bank, with no way to rush it through the TSA queue?

Good point. But what about the passenger who missed their connecting flight coming through an exceptionally long primary screening, but managed to get a seat on a flight several hours later and put their bag onto the TSA queue after they had their new boarding pass and bags were retagged. Yet when they go to collect their baggage at their final destination, its not there? Or how about the passenger who checked in 3 hours in advance of their flight (i.e. 3 hours at the airport, not online) between two domestic destination at the airport, had a single ordinary suitcase which had not been opened by TSA, yet didn't receive their bag on the other end? Both have been my cases in the past year.

Stupidest. Idea. Ever.

No, I'd say that was OzJet's all business class operations at full economy price between Sydney and Melbourne, a 1 hr flight. Shame, Paul, shame.

Thats unfortunate. As very well trained in safety and customer service f/a's are, unfortunately I think sometimes the stress and repetition of such a heavy workload (which by the way I think is way underpaid) can make these individuals make mistakes and 'blanket' decisions like that (i.e. 'that bags too big!' - to everyone). I agree with Maverick623, letter writing helps. Those higher up notice letters of complaint (and compliment), so if it happens again then you should take a photo, and send the letter in.
Flown on 707, 717, 727, 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 741 742 743 744 74SP 757 753 762 763 772 773 77W D10 DC9 M11 M80 M87

stylo777

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:45 am

another problem is that in the US carry-on bags up-to 23kg are allowed (United) to carry on the plane, but here in Europe we have the maximum of 10kg. The average throughout all European carriers are 8kg allowance.
So you can imagine how hard the discussions with US inbound pax are when we enforce them to check-in there bags at the gate.

"but nobody told me" and "but I carried them from the US" and "but United/Delta allowed me..." and so on... these are the usual starts for discussions. Big grin

JoeCanuck

Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:14 am

Quoting Stylo777 (Reply 42):
"but nobody told me" and "but I carried them from the US" and "but United/Delta allowed me..." and so on... these are the usual starts for discussions.

And they are entirely valid.

Bottom line, when I can trust my valuable possessions to the hold, then I'll check more items.
What the...?

Maverick623

Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:47 am

Quoting Halophila (Reply 41):
I don't think I understand the system well enough to suggest that the baggage handlers are to blame (you point out a couple of examples).

I shall note this in any subsequent reply you make, and try not to flame you too hard!  box  (just kidding, of course)

And I think we all know how that would end up. How about start by paying their baggage handlers a decent wage as incentive to make all 250 bags make it to the connecting flight?

It's not about wages, it's about manpower. I once ran bags from a HNL inbound, with about 220 connecting bags, by myself. No help from a "hot" runner or anything. Both bins of the 757 had bags. It took about 45 minutes to load every single bag into carts, being that I could only be at one bin at a time. By the time I got off the gate, I had 2 minutes to deliver my first bags.

Had there been just 2 other people helping me run the bags, the flight could've been cleared (every bag delivered) in that amount of time.

Now you might say that will happen when passengers are willing to fork out 10% more for their airfares. But how about those folks in management at or near the top taking a hit?

Well, since the folks at the top pretty much dictate everything.... not gonna happen.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Indy
Topic Author

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:27 am

Personally I think baggage handlers do an outstanding job. I've made some tight connections and have been amazed that my bags have made it.

Passengers can do some things to help keep their bags from getting lost and if the bags get lost you can do things to help ensure they get returned.

1. Get something other than a black bag. The baggage claim is a parade of like looking bags.

2. Put a name tag on it. If your bag gets lost at least someone will know how to find out.

3. Think when you book your flights. Do you have a very short connection somewhere? Are you worried that if they plan is a few minutes late that you might no make it? If you are concerned that you might not make it then you better be really concerned that your bag will not make it. Book a slightly bigger connection. I personally don't like connections under one hour.

4. Pay attention to the bag you grab at baggage claim. You may be the reason someone else doesn't get their bag.

The black bags kill me. Cmon. Get something ugly. There is no shame in an ugly bag. You'll find it faster and chances are nobody will mistake yours for theirs.

AirframeAS

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:33 am

Quoting AIR757200 (Reply 19):
The current carry-on rule in the U.S. is a FAA regulation and airlines can be fined for not enforcing this regulation. Fines can be up to $25,000 per occurrence.

Source? Care to show us the F.A.R. that covers this?

I doubt if any airline has ever been fined for this!

They haven't. The F.A.A. would have enforced it already if there was really a F.A.R. out on it.

I always travel with my 'flight attendant crew' type roller bag as a carry on along with my laptop bag. And thats pretty much it.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

pixuk

Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:16 am

Quoting Abba (Reply 37):
I have once been asked to sit under a very heavy bag - one so heavy that the passenger (yes - it was a person in his prime) and a flight attendant in union had great difficulties getting into the bin as it was very heavy. I plainly refused to sit under it claiming that the weight restriction was there also for safety reasons and I didn't want to be the one to have this heavy thing coming down on the top of my head.

Agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment. I don't care too much that you don't trust the airline to get your bag to your destination in the hold, but if you're going to bring enough luggage for a 3-week camping holiday in Yellowstone into the cabin, you take the risk of sitting under the damn thing.

If you can't get space above your own seat, maybe it's because too many of your fellow passengers have also dragged too much crap into the cabin.

icarus75

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:21 pm

I agree that carry-on size rules should be enforced but it is not possible all the time, mainly because of the self check-in!
I fly LIN/MXP - CDG - LIN/MXP every friday evening and subnday evening and boarding is sometimes a real pain, for F/A and some fellow passengers like me.
People are sometimes bringing in the plane a very big carry-on bag that exceed the sizes allowed, another bag of some sort and in addition a laptop : they've use self check-in and there was no agent to limit their carry on.

They are not going to risk lost bags, delayed bags, ripped bags or stand an extra 1/2 hour on landing waiting for their bags

May be I'm lucky but since june, comuting between Milan & Paris, I've never lost luggages and I've never waited more then 15 minutes for the delivery.
Before, I've travelled a lot within Europe with several airlines and I've never lost luggages.

For me it is simple : I prefer to wait a little for my bag to be delivered then spending my waiting time carrying my luggage while waiting in the airport.(Even if I have access to the business lounge)
In addition, a lot of these people bringing a lot of carry-on in the plane are the ones pushing to be the first to board, to be sure to have enough space for their "huge" bags!
The worst thing is when they put their luggages in the been let's say on row 10 when they are seated in row 25!
Flying is amazing!

TIALATI

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:54 pm

What annoys me even more with carry on luggage is that when one flies C especially in continental europe you always have someone who is flying Y and sitting at the very end of the plane come and drop their bags on the bins provided for C class passengers. If i pay twice or thrice the price of an Y passenger i expect the bins overhead the C class section to be used only by C-fare passengers and not by some stupid guy sitting right at the end of the plane.
 banghead