heathrow

Age For Alcohol On Airlines

Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:51 pm

I know that in certain provinces in canada, drinking age ranges from 18-19, in the U.S. it's 21. What laws are they to abide by? I've flown AC, BA, QK... all of them have never ID'd me. I'm 15 years old. What's the deal?

DeltaAVL

RE: Age For Alcohol On Airlines

Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:55 pm

Quoting Heathrow (Thread starter):
I'm 15 years old.

You're 15 and you're buying alcohol on planes? By the way, it says you're 16-20 in your profile. Might wanna change that.  Wink
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

copaair737

Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:57 pm

I never got carded when I was underaged except one time on Frontier. Besides that, I might get a "you look young, you sure you're old enough?" but that's it.

F9 was the only one that carded though. UA was the best for serving underaged for whatever reason.
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

heathrow

Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:57 pm

i turn 16 within a week, and people don't tend to take me seroiusly if my profile says im younger. I try, and if they deny, they deny

Avianca

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:01 am

hehe can well remember when I was 17 and had a very nice beer in JFK waiting for my JFK-MUC flight on delta were I enyoyed some Bacardi Colas... jejej  Smile
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

Msl747

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:14 am

I always thought that it depends on the Country the Airline is based in. Like on BA it would be 18 and on UA it would be 21... I might be wrong...
Commercial Pilot Certificate: Single and Multi-Engine Land; Instrument Airplane

heathrow

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:18 am

Quoting Msl747 (Reply 5):
I always thought that it depends on the Country the Airline is based in. Like on BA it would be 18 and on UA it would be 21... I might be wrong...

canada the age varries as to which province you are in.

OB1504

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:37 am

Quoting Heathrow (Reply 3):
people don't tend to take me seroiusly if my profile says im younger. I try, and if they deny, they deny

People also tend to not take you seriously when they find out you've been lying about your age.  Wink

tommy767

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:44 am

This past April when I was 19, I flew AA DFW-LAX in F and was served chardonnay repeatedly throughout the flight. It was nice descending into LAX on a 763 and being fully liquored up when we pulled up to the gate  bigthumbsup 
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

heathrow

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:47 am

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 7):
People also tend to not take you seriously when they find out you've been lying about your age. Wink

it'll be true sunday

roseflyer

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:53 am

All US airlines require passengers to be 21 to drink alcohol because that is mandated by the FAA. Many foreign airlines serving the United States respect the laws in the United States and only serve to passengers over 21 even though they will serve younger passengers on any other flights.

I've flown AC, BA, QK... all of them have never ID'd me. I'm 15 years old. What's the deal?

You shouldn't be drinking at your age in general. You usually can get away with drinking younger because flight attendants do not want to card you and require your identification, but you are breaking the law and putting them in a difficult position.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

JRDC930

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:59 am

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 10):
All US airlines require passengers to be 21 to drink alcohol because that is mandated by the FAA. Many foreign airlines serving the United States respect the laws in the United States and only serve to passengers over 21 even though they will serve younger passengers on any other flights.

Stupid laws are ment to be broken... U.S. Carriers may REQUIRE you to be 21, but they enforce it on a hit and miss basis in my experiences, especially if you "look the right age", a beard helps out nicely  Wink. I have had varying experiences, having not been carded on DL, CO, UA or AA, on several occasions, while being carded on other occasions. Dont know why some F/A's are lax while others are more strict, either way i doubt any one would report them unless an FAA employees was flying aboard. International airlines to/from the U.S. i have never been carded so I'm not sure how hard they keep to these rules, considering the U.S. is one of the only countries in the world with 21yr drinking laws...

My 2 cents.
U.S. Legacy carriers,STILL leaders in lowering industry standards...

nrcnyc

Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:09 am

Thanks to the millions of miles my parents rack up travelling for buisness, I've been able to fly in F or J on almost every trip I take with out paying a dime!. I have always looked old for my age and have been having a glass or two of wine in F or J since I was about 17. Most of the time They asked if I wanted red or white, I never realy had to ask for it.

Milesdependent

Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:11 am

I have fond memories of flying LAX-SYD on QF when I was 15 (in 1994). I was up the back, drinking beer and smoking cigarettes the entire flight. There were about 10-15 at one time back there, all drinking & smoking. Was like a true Aussie pub experience. LOL.

And now - I barely drink and only smoke (cigars now) on occassion. What a boring old f@rt I turned into!

BlueSkys

Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:18 am

On LOT they were serving me when I was 15 years old..... Felt good at the time to feel like an adult!

futurecaptain

Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:51 am

You shouldn't be drinking at your age in general. You usually can get away with drinking younger because flight attendants do not want to card you and require your identification, but you are breaking the law and putting them in a difficult position.

checkmark 

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 11):
Stupid laws are ment to be broken...

Great attitude from a student pilot.
BTW, your class 2 medical expired.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

AFGMEL

Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:02 am

I think the laws are silly, whatever age you can fight and die for your country is the age you should be allowed to vote and drink IMO.

Never been asked flying. Off topic, been asked for ID buying beer in the US. I was 38 and believe me, did not look young for my age!  Yeah sure
B 727-44/200 732/3/4/8/9 767-3 742/3/4, 772/3, A319/20/21 332/333 342/3 , DC3/4/10, F28/50/100, ATR72

JRDC930

Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:03 am

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 15):

My comment was in regards to being a passenger, I'm not foolish enough to endanger my career by drinking and flying. Besides everyone in the U.S. has varying opinions about the value of the 21yr drinking laws.

P.S. A class 3 medical is fine enough where i fly, thank you very much.

heathrow

Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:11 am

It doesn't matter what age you are, drinking is bad for you anyways. It is theyre duty to check a persons age, and if they fail to do this, I have no sympathy

Quoting BlueSkys (Reply 14):
On LOT they were serving me when I was 15 years old..... Felt good at the time to feel like an adult!

8 hours on BA = 8 beers. I think thats ok!!

BlueSkys

Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:12 am

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 15):

Stupid laws are ment to be broken...

BTW, your class 2 medical expired.

I think you need to lighten up a little bit... American aviation pioneers were hung over on their record flights! If you dont drink a mickey a day your class 2 medical will be just fine!

deltairlines

Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:17 am

My sister got denied on a Delta AUA-ATL flight this past summer (she's 18) - we were in F, F/A asked for ID and she played the ignorance card saying we were still on Aruban soil.

As for me, I've only been carded once - on a Delta CRJ when I used a drink chit to have a beer. In the dozens of flights where I've flown F though, I've never been carded (I'm 22 and never been carded on F flights on DL, UA, AA, CO, NW or US...and I have drank alcohol on each of them in the premium cabin.)

BlueSkys

Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:18 am

Quoting Heathrow (Reply 18):
8 hours on BA = 8 beers. I think thats ok!!

Its ok! lol.

futurecaptain

Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:46 am

Quoting BlueSkys (Reply 19):
I think you need to lighten up a little bit

Not when I see someone underage with a pilots license admit in a place like this to public drinking. All it takes is one bad night, one bad decision, one DUI, and poof...there goes your pilots license, and possibly some time spent with law enforcement.
I've personally seen drinking ruin too many people's lives to "lighten up a bit." Sorry.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

BlueSkys

Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:58 am

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 22):
Quoting BlueSkys (Reply 19):
I think you need to lighten up a little bit

Not when I see someone underage with a pilots license admit in a place like this to public drinking. All it takes is one bad night, one bad decision, one DUI, and poof...there goes your pilots license, and possibly some time spent with law enforcement.
I've personally seen drinking ruin too many people's lives to "lighten up a bit." Sorry.

I am not saying that you condone bad behaviour, but realize that there is alot of people that know how to handle their drink, not everyone that you see at the pub is an alcoholic.

One man can have a few drinks and still lead a normal life, and as long one can moderate it is all good. I have seen more than one good person succumb to the negative side of alcohol and i see your point, but there is people that know how to enjoy a beer and those that drink 10 per day...

Some Alcohol is never a bad thing.... Try a good vintage Pinot Noir!

Ward86IND

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:10 am

If he is a student pilot I'm sure he knows that...I stagger around blasted on an unfamiliar campus every other weekend. Yes, underaged drinking is against the law, but when you see things such as a police officer berating someone who just threw away a half-full beer (not for underaged drinking, but for "wasting a perfectly good beer") you begin to see it as an accepted reality. Sorry if alcohol has affected you or someone you care about, but let him make his own decision.

My flight instructor knows I am underaged and knows I drink...eight hours bottle to throttle and you'll be fine!
Live your dream.

spacecadet

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:10 am

Quoting AFGMEL (Reply 16):
I think the laws are silly, whatever age you can fight and die for your country is the age you should be allowed to vote and drink IMO.

Then I guess we should raise the age you can fight for your country to 21.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

brandonfs88

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:36 am

I had some beers in the F cabin nonreving back from SFO to DTW on NW. Was talking with the F/A when we were heading thru security and we got a talking and found out she grew up 50 miles away from where I live. I got my seat and she kept bring me beer until i fell asleep.

brilondon

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:51 am

Quoting Heathrow (Reply 3):
i turn 16 within a week, and people don't tend to take me seroiusly if my profile says im younger. I try, and if they deny, they deny

I rarely care what age the person is on here and I don't care when you start your drinking. I personally don't think alcohol drinks should be served on any flights because at altitude it can affect you in different ways and I don't want a 16 or 21 or 61 year old getting sick because they cannot handle their alcohol. Of course there should be a policy that is standard in the industry but there probably isn't.  covereyes 
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

AFGMEL

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:43 am

Quoting Brilondon (Reply 27):
I personally don't think alcohol drinks should be served on any flights because at altitude it can affect you in different ways

Sliding down to the lowest common denominator again. I have been flying for a long long time. I always drink, I have never been drunk on a flight. Why should I suffer because of other idiots? Let them be charged and go to jail. Let me have a nice shiraz with my beef and a port or cointreau with my chocolate. I know how to behave.

Quoting Spacecadet (Reply 25):

That would be fair at least.
B 727-44/200 732/3/4/8/9 767-3 742/3/4, 772/3, A319/20/21 332/333 342/3 , DC3/4/10, F28/50/100, ATR72

nzrich

Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:31 am

Quoting AFGMEL (Reply 28):
Sliding down to the lowest common denominator again. I have been flying for a long long time. I always drink, I have never been drunk on a flight. Why should I suffer because of other idiots? Let them be charged and go to jail. Let me have a nice shiraz with my beef and a port or cointreau with my chocolate. I know how to behave.

I totally agree with you ..In the end its up to the cabin crew to stop people drinking to excess i have done that many a time and refused to serve alcohol to people .. As for under age drinking i have asked many for ID as on Air NZ the min age is 18 as were a NZ airline and go by NZ law .. Why should the majority that enjoy a glass of wine be penalised by the stupid few .. If the crew are on the ball they can usually fix a problem before it happens .. But i agree nothing better than a good NZ Pinot Noir with a meal !!!!
"Pride of the pacific"

KSMOGene

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:18 am

I was under the impression that the legal age requirement to consume alcohol on board an aircraft depends on where the aircraft is registered.

However, I have also heard of examples where the alcohol rules depend on where the plane is flying to. For example, I have heard of airlines flying over Saudi airspace being required to stop serving alcohol, in accordance with their laws, if the final destination is also within Saudi Arabia. This may be a myth, however; I have no first-hand knowledge of this fact, and I've had a hard time trying to google the answer.

cjpark

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:23 am

Alcohol (Scotch) on Airlines should be at least 12 years old.
"Any airline that wants to serve the [region] can go to DFW today and fly anywhere they want," WN spokesman Ed Stewart

JRDC930

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:23 am

Id hate to be your first officer...  Yeah sure, you know the regs DONT ban alcohol completely right? Its 8hrs prior, and or under the influence. Just because i drink on a commercial flight as a passnger and disagree with the drinking age doesn't make me a wanabe America West drunk pilot. i never drink before a flight. Now back on topic, i really think weather or not you get carded, has to do with the F/A, not necessarily the regs, proof of this is the fact some people get carded while others dont, and thus get away with a drink or two. I ve seen to much inconsistencies to say "this particular airline wont serve you"... apart from some Muslim air carriers.

AF1624

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:43 am

Well, on AF, when I had just turned 18 (which is the legal age for everything in France : voting, driving, drinking, smoking, gambling...) the F/A just asked me If I was 18 or more when I asked for some wine. She asked it directly, and didn't ask for an ID card.

I think it's right. But I also think that passengers should be allowed only a certain quantity of alcoholic beverages on a flight. Last time, I was flying CDG --> GIG and the F/A asked me If I wanted more wine several times. I drank 2 bottles of 25cl. each and she still kept asking if I wanted more. I don't know if it's because she wanted passengers to fall asleep and quit whining but I thought that was too much. Well, I must admit I did sleep well, with 50 cl of french red wine in the veins. But the point is, they shouldn't allow that much drinking. I slept. But I could have been a violent man for all she knew.

People tend to react differently with alcohol in their veins. Some laugh, some cry, some get angry and some sleep. So they never know what to expect, thus, a certain quantity of alcohol by passenger should not be exceeded.
Cheers

Someone83

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:45 am

Quoting Cjpark (Reply 31):
Alcohol (Scotch) on Airlines should be at least 12 years old.

ha ha, agree  bigthumbsup 

CPHGuard

Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:31 am

it'll be true sunday

My birthday too.... hehe

flashflyguy

Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:35 am

Quoting Brandonfs88 (Reply 26):
she kept bring me beer until i fell asleep.

Sounds like there was method in her madness there.... Big grin

Quoting MilesDependent (Reply 13):
There were about 10-15 at one time back there, all drinking & smoking. Was like a true Aussie pub experience. LOL.

Argh...the good old days, it was always a party down the back.  yes  That was also the place to get all the travel goss, where to go, what to see...pre internet.

brettbrett21

Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:48 am

To tear away from the is-alcohol-bad debate and return to the actual topic for a second, does anyone know the drinking age on emirates? I know that drinking in the UAE is restricted to 21+ but what about from say LHR to New Zealand?
i'm so excited i wish i could wet my pants!

gift4tbone

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:11 pm

Quoting AFGMEL (Reply 28):

That would be fair at least.

Not sure if you knew this, but thats why on bases the drinking age is 18. So all servicemen/women can drink, while on base.

-Tony@PVD

edited to add service women.

[Edited 2007-11-05 04:12:43]
Top 3 airports: PVD 23.9%(138 flights), PHL 14.7%(85 flights), PHX 10.2%(59 flights)

cjbmibe

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:14 pm

I've been served Smirnoff on BD a few times as an underager. Travelled in Business using my dads DC miles. The first time I was 17 and travelling alone, travelled a few times since with at least one of my family members. Its not a big deal to enforce it in the air if you look about the right age.

Even on EI I've been served Nicholas Feaulte Champagne when I've been 16 and travelling with a 17 year old frend. It seems generally most europeans can handle some drink, hence why Scotland and Ireland produce such awesome whiskeys and why France and Italy have some lovely grapes. It may even be just a cultural thing. All over the continent people have a glass of wine with lunch or a leisurely beer. They dont get drunk, they just relax and chill out with a cool beverage; which is how it should be in the air. Children on the continent are even introduced to alcohol from quite young ages and learn to respect it, theres not much abuse where the children drink in moderation having a watered down glass of wine for dinner for a few years and maybe move onto just a pure glass.

I understand the need for the laws regarding age and the consumption of alcohol but a lot of people flying dont typically get off the plane and start driving. Business men get taxis or chauffers as will First pax. Economy pax will get taxis or public transport... and the few who dont and have a vehicle then they should know not to drink.

And to comment on the student pilot post above - I'm one too, and a british uni student. Uni here is basically just one long booze fest, but not to me. My lessons started 2 weeks ago, and are every thursday. I dont drink on wednesdays now. Even on Halloween last week which was a wednesday I stayed sober and was in bed for 12. My housemates couldnt have said that, some were still suffering on thursday evening. If you saw some of the road safety adverts from Northern Ireland you'd respect the drink limits and for some more sensitive people probablly be put off driving forever, if not drinking!
How can I soar like an Eagle when I have to work with these turkeys?

LH431

Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:15 pm

Quoting Msl747 (Reply 5):

While the drinking age in Germany for beer&wine is 16, Lufthansa has a general age limit of 18 for all alcoholic beverages. There is no difference between a flight to SEA or SIN
There is a better way to fly

Baron52ta

Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:17 pm

Quoting AFGMEL (Reply 16):
Off topic, been asked for ID buying beer in the US. I was 38 and believe me, did not look young for my age!

That is just because some places card everybody no matter the age you look. I lived in the US and we had several places near where I lived that posted in their window they card everybody.

Are you aware that in an FAA study of GA pilots 12.7% fly with a BAC between 0.2% and 0.4%
8.9% fly with a BAC of in excess of 0.4% and these trends seem to be becoming the norm in Airlines too, given this you are happy to have the pilot of your flight to be over the legal limit,when you start at an early age it just goes down hill from there.
I am rather shocked with the way so many youngsters think it cool to try to break the law and then they are amaized when the Law bites back.
These are the results from the FAA study on Alcohol on ability

0.01-0.05
(10-50 mg%)
average individual appears normal
0.03-0.12*
(30-120 mg%)
mild euphoria, talkativeness, decreased inhibitions, decreased attention, impaired judgment, increased reaction time
0.09-0.25
(90-250 mg%)
emotional instability, loss of critical judgment, impairment of memory and comprehension, decreased sensory response, mild muscular incoordination
0.18-0.30
(180-300 mg%)
confusion, dizziness, exaggerated emotions (anger, fear, grief) impaired visual perception, decreased pain sensation, impaired balance, staggering gait, slurred speech, moderate muscular incoordination
0.27-0.40
(270-400 mg%)
apathy, impaired consciousness, stupor, significantly decreased response to stimulation, severe muscular incoordination, inability to stand or walk, vomiting, incontinence of urine and feces
0.35-0.50
350-500 mg%
unconsciousness, depressed or abolished reflexes, (abnormal body temperature, coma; possible death from respiratory paralysis (450 mg% or above)

source: http://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pil...tsafetybrochures/media/alcohol.pdf

wdleiser

Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:18 pm

A DUI ruins a pilots career who is also over 21. Give the kid a break. Us minors all know the consequences of drinking and driving. Drinking is fun as long as you don't go driving afterwards. Ive seen it ruin plenty of peoples lives. Its called a cab. The FAA really only cares about drug charges and DUI's.

BTW thanks for reminding me my Class 2 needs to be renewed in January.

jonty

Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:53 pm

Wow, its interesting to see the attitude difference between USA and UK. Here in the UK under aged drinking is basically a given! Everyone does it, some starting at 13/14!
As far as British airlines are concerned, do they / should they not be following the challenge 21 thing that all bars and shops now seem to do! - thank god I'm old enough to have ID.
Also what about the 'loopholes' about drinking with a meal or when your parents are there?

At the end of the day its gottta be the airlines responsibility to check ID if they suspect you are under age. If they don't then that's their problem - a bar / shop would be the one getting in trouble if the served alcohol to someone under age on the ground.

swaopsusafatc

Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:59 pm

Quoting Gift4tbone (Reply 38):
Not sure if you knew this, but thats why on bases the drinking age is 18. So all servicemen/women can drink, while on base.

Not all bases, very few in fact. In the US only Laughlin has that policy. Everywhere else is whatever the local drinking age is.

-swaops

EDIT: Correction quoting Tony@PVD

[Edited 2007-11-05 09:00:30]

[Edited 2007-11-05 09:01:26]

dambuster

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:11 pm

I drank quite a bit on board my BA flight to ORD... and I was 16. They never IDed me. Didn't bother me either as drinking age is 16 here.

BlueSkys

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:23 pm

Absolutely!!!

It much easier to convince an 18 year old to give up his life than it is for a 21 year old. And if a 21 year old still wants to join, then at least he made an adult decision and was not dragged in fresh out of high school.

It always amused me that you can die for your country but you cannot go to a bar and have a drink...

xtoler

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:28 pm

Quoting Swaopsusafatc (Reply 45):
Not all bases, very few in fact. In the US only Laughlin has that policy. Everywhere else is whatever the local drinking age is.

I was about to comment on that. I was 18 when I joined the USAF and I definately was not allowed to drink in the club on base when I was in tech school. Off base in Witchita Falls, TX was a different story. As long as we didn't get slam hammered, most places sold us booze. That's how the locals got money from us young airmen going out to party on the weekends. Plus, Desert Shield was just starting up, I think that's another reason they let us drink. I was still 18 when I went to my first base, RAF MIldenhall, UK, my new NCOIC and first sergeant didn't waste any time getting me drunk my first day there. I usually flew United across the pond too, and being military, the F/A's didn't care how old I was, I could drink all I wanted unless I did something stupid. Yes, I always made it a point to sit in the back, where we could smoke and drink. It was always quite the party.
EMB145 F/A, F/E, J41 F/A, F/E, because my wife clipped my wings, armchair captain

gigneil

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:34 pm

Oh please.

Alcohol didn't ruin their life. They did.

NS

SkyyMaster

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:37 pm

Stupid laws are ment to be broken... U.S. Carriers may REQUIRE you to be 21, but they enforce it on a hit and miss basis in my experiences, especially if you "look the right age", a beard helps out nicely

God knows I did my share of drinking when I was underage. However, in today's litigation happy society, if an airline served a minor alcohol on a flight and that person later caused a traffic accident and killed someone, most likely the airline could or should be held as an accessory in the death. There are plenty of precedents of bars and restaurants getting sued over it, an airline should be no different. As to whether the laws are stupid is irrelevant. People underage always have and always will have access to alcohol. Still, there has to be an age limit somewhere. Airlines should enforce the laws. Too bad if the FA's don't want the inconvenience. It's part of their jobs.