ETStar
Topic Author

"BA Does Not Fly To Addis Ababa"

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:49 am

Checking for fares on BA's site, I get "BA does not fly to Addis Ababa". While I know that it does not fly using its own metal, it does codeshare on BMI's flights out of Heathrow. And I used to be able to lookup fares both pre and post BMI takeover of BMed.

Checking for same fares on BMI's site from Canada or the US for that matter, ADD is not a recognized city. But can do London to Addis Ababa.

Why is BMI not showing ADD as a valid route from Canada/US? Is it because it is an agreement that they have with BA, where they operate the flight on behalf of the latter? And if so, why is BA not making these available? Who sells their tickets?

theginge

RE: "BA Does Not Fly To Addis Ababa"

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:54 am

Probably something wrong with the BA website, the inbound flight to LHR is the BA7514 and I know that they codeshare on the way down.
Not sure why it is not showing as a BMI route from Canada, maybe they are not able to sell tickets all the way through on that route.

StarGoldLHR

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:23 am

Has BMI continued this route ?

Addis Ababa was an extension of the Alexandria service from BMED, but BMI dropped Alexandria and it's too far for an A321 direct ?
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

dkny

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:27 am

BMI is going LHR-AMM-ADD

Airlineanorak

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:49 pm

I am seeing the through route when I look on expedia.co.uk. I plugged in YYZ - ADD and it came back with the following routing:

YYZ - LHR BD4848 (code share operated by AC)
LHR - ADD BD913

ADD - LHR BD914
LHR - YYZ BD4857

It was also showing the BA route with the BA flight number on the LHR - ADD leg. I suspect that the reservation systems might not all have been updated since the handover?

vv701

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:28 pm

I have an electronic copy of the BA flight timetable on my computer. I have just updated it and then checked it. It still shows BA7513 as a one stop service to ADD flown by a 320 for Mon, Wed, Thur, Sat and Sun in the seven days starting 12 November.

acvitale

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:32 pm

Why bother with BA when you can fly ET with a far better flight experience, more frequencies, etc.

abrelosojos

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:37 pm

Quoting ACVitale (Reply 6):
Why bother with BA when you can fly ET with a far better flight experience, more frequencies, etc.

= I was just going to say that. Fly ET. Far superior experience. Icing on the cake ... you can avoid transitting via LHR.

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

PADSpot

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:21 pm

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 2):
but BMI dropped Alexandria and it's too far for an A321 direct ?

... without doubt too far, might be a perfect route for a B757 though ...

acvitale

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:27 pm

Quoting PADSpot (Reply 8):

That is why ET flies the B752 between ADD and LHR

ikramerica

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:42 pm

There may be something to the 'not allowed to sell' the itinerary in the USA and Canada due to some bilateral or other treaty with Ethiopia, the UK and the USA/Canada. It wouldn't be the first time this kind of thing happened.

Finding it on Expedia.uk doesn't count. We'd have to check expedia.com in the USA or expedia.ca (is there one?)
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Viscount724

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:00 pm

Quoting ACVitale (Reply 9):
Quoting PADSpot (Reply 8):

That is why ET flies the B752 between ADD and LHR

But I believe only 3 of ET's LHR-ADD flights are nonstop, and all their westbound flights appear to be one-stop.

MaverickM11

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:04 pm

A little off topic here, but does anyone on a.net work for ET? I'm spending next week there and wanted to check some loads into and out of ADD. Gracias!
E pur si muove -Galileo

davescj

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:46 pm

Try Expertflyer.com (I am assuming they support ET?), you can get a freebie membership for 3 days. I also like that you can buy by the month if you want....let membership lag, buy back when you need it.
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

acvitale

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:58 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 11):
But I believe only 3 of ET's LHR-ADD flights are nonstop, and all their westbound flights appear to be one-stop.

ET 701 is non stop
ET 711 is a one stop

ET 700 is a one stop
ET 710 is a one stop

The one stop flights are operated via FCO where ET maintains a crew base. Most of the European/US flights stop in FCO before continuing to ADD.

The high altitude of ADD limits the weight/range of all departures.

ET has in the past operated nonstop from ADD to London. However, there have been weight restrictions due to the altitude of the airport.

etfokker50

Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:25 pm

ET better than BA/BMI ha ha That's a new one. The reason BA / BMI does this flight and is daily is because the better quality of service offered, and better connections. Before BA and more recently KLM came to ADD, there was just ET, KQ and LH. LH is expensive, and KQ required a connection in Nairobi, but was good for NW connections. ET compared to other african airlines is great, but I've heard a lot of bad bad customer service stories as well as strange in flight stories (oxygen masks drop, and no, no announcement whatsoever...).

Quote: ET has in the past operated nonstop from ADD to London. However, there have been weight restrictions due to the altitude of the airport.

That's kinda funny because ET was the only airline to offer 40kg of bagage allowance on that route, which was an advantage to some. I guess they weren't carrying other cargo then...

[Edited 2007-11-05 13:33:58]

planesavvy

Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:12 am

I just want to add that the old Bmed service now run by BMI is still in a bit of a transition, so how it is published by BA and by BMI will not be as concrete right now. It is funny seeing the hybrid BMI/BA colours at LHR; the paint over on some aircraft is already coming off.

And also ET has been using 767-300s to LHR fairly often recently.

acvitale

Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:48 am

Quoting ETFokker50 (Reply 15):
ET better than BA/BMI ha ha That's a new one. The reason BA / BMI does this flight and is daily is because the better quality of service offered, and better connections. Before BA and more recently KLM came to ADD, there was just ET, KQ and LH. LH is expensive, and KQ required a connection in Nairobi, but was good for NW connections. ET compared to other african airlines is great, but I've heard a lot of bad bad customer service stories as well as strange in flight stories (oxygen masks drop, and no, no announcement whatsoever...).

Having flown ET and the BMED BA flight. I must say unequivicably the ET service was superiour in my opinion. The customer service comment is interesting as ET largely handles all carriers in ADD (including BA/BMED when I flew them in 05 and 06.) and in London the ET check in was quite good.

ETStar
Topic Author

Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:02 am

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 2):

Addis Ababa was an extension of the Alexandria service from BMED, but BMI dropped Alexandria and it's too far for an A321 direct ?

AMM is the new stop for the service to ADD. I find that the BMI schedules are very inconvenient, with 2AM arrivals at ADD and 4AM departures. The only advantage is that it is a Star Alliance partner ...

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 10):
There may be something to the 'not allowed to sell' the itinerary in the USA and Canada due to some bilateral or other treaty with Ethiopia, the UK and the USA/Canada. It wouldn't be the first time this kind of thing happened.

I got this response from BMI today: "You can book this as a through route via our call centre, as yet we have not been able to put this specific itinerary online, but hope to do so in the next week."

Not sure how things work, but I am dialing their number now ... Never mind, the UK office is only open from 7AM to 9PM.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 12):
A little off topic here, but does anyone on a.net work for ET? I'm spending next week there and wanted to check some loads into and out of ADD. Gracias!

I can check loads on expertflyer for you. PM me.

Quoting ETFokker50 (Reply 15):

Not sure which airline you are referring to, neither airline offers daily service: ET has 6 flights per week, while BMI has 5. Connections wise, ET's overnights out of ADD are great for trips beyond Heathrow, while the return is also great for trips beyond Addis. Customer service wise, I was quite impressed with ET the last time I did LHR-ADD-LHR, with check-in and boarding being very orderly (and I do remember how it was in the old days), and plenty of service including multiple language announcements. To mention second-hand accounts on the BA/BMed service (BMI's is still new), flights arriving at ADD with just a handful of luggages, FAs disappearing into galleys after a quick service, luggage arriving weeks after the inbound trip (after all, BA was involved), lining up to board a plane at a remote parking spot under a heavy downpour are just a few that currently come to mind. Every airline has its bad customer service story, and we cannot make generalizations based specific incidents.

MaverickM11

Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:53 pm

Quoting ETStar (Reply 18):
I can check loads on expertflyer for you. PM me.

Is that just a GDS...cuz I have that already Smile
E pur si muove -Galileo

HUYfan

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:29 pm

ADD has always been operated by BMED, not BA.

the whole debacle at T4 has now been substantially improved with the move to bmi at T1. The whole experience should prove much better, and the bmi service is certainly more comprehensive than the version of BA's we used to deliver, especially in Economy.

Regards

Mike

theginge

Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:56 am

Unfortunatly the move of BMED to T1 has made it worse over there for everyone else as it is even more congested than it was before. Terminal 4 has a bit of slack for a change!