kaitak

Cleared For Push And Start: Irish 48/07

Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:06 am

Good morning everyone and welcome to our 48th thread this year ...

As we head into the last weeks of 2007, we certainly have a very interesting year to look back on - and hopefully a good year to look forward to. As for the month ahead, well, I can't think of anything very exciting that's predictable, but no doubt a few curve balls will be sent in our directions. Who knows that innovations and dynamism will emerge from the Dept of Transport this month!

Well, the ground crew is holding the nosegear pin up and we have taxi clearance, so let's just push the throttles gently forward and be on our way ...

OA260

RE: Cleared For Push And Start: Irish 48/07

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:42 am

Ryanair to cut airport costs with check-in kiosks scheme
Tuesday November 06 2007

RYANAIR is planning to follow Aer Lingus' lead and introduce check-in kiosks at Dublin Airport.

Airline boss Michael O'Leary said the move, from as early as next April, would make checking-in far more convenient for passengers, as the system would allow them to pay charges like baggage fees without having to go across to customer service desks.

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...checkin-kiosks-scheme-1212721.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BA rated worst for lost bags and delays - According to data published on Monday by the Association of European Airlines, covering July to September this year, BA ranked 24th among the 25 airlines which disclosed statistics for the number of delayed bags per 1,000 passengers. Only TAP Air Portugal had a worse record - although several carriers, including Virgin Atlantic, BMI British Midland and Aer Lingus do not disclose baggage figures.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/ireland/2007/1106/1194222691865.html

Missing travel agent found in Paris
Anne Lucey

A Listowel travel agent who went missing while on a visit to Paris two months ago has been found.

John Kennelly (47) was last seen leaving his hotel, the Meridien Etoile, Porte Maillot, at 7am on Sunday, September 9th, hours before he was due to fly home. He had told his wife, Marie, he was going for a walk and would be back in time to leave for the flight home.

Danny

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:47 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 1):
Ryanair to cut airport costs with check-in kiosks scheme
Tuesday November 06 2007

RYANAIR is planning to follow Aer Lingus' lead and introduce check-in kiosks at Dublin Airport.

Airline boss Michael O'Leary said the move, from as early as next April, would make checking-in far more convenient for passengers, as the system would allow them to pay charges like baggage fees without having to go across to customer service desks.

http://www.independent.ie/national-n....html

I assume they will charge something like €8 for "bypassing the queue". You will conveniently pay it by putting your credit card into the machine which will charge additional €5 credit card fee.  Wink

smokeyrosco

Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:17 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 1):

I was wondering when this was going to happen, each passanger paying €3 to use it though means that soon enough they will have paid for them selves and FR will be making serious money on them.

Quote:
Those cost savings in Dubiln, however, could be lower than anticipated as sources at the airport confirmed a "commercial charge" for kiosks will soon be introduced.

Novelty

"When Aer Lingus brought them in they were a novelty. They're not a novelty any more," a source added.

I can't help wonder if FR brought them in before EI would this "commercial charge" have been introduced then.

Quote:
Mr Millar said Ryanair had been a late convert to kiosks because the models out now were "far slicker" and "far cheaper" than the earlier versions. He added that Ryanair's versions will include functions like hotel booking and car hire booking.

I was also wondering when this was going to happen, it's not a difficult thing to do but also makes a lot of sence.
John Hancock

shamrock604

Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:24 am

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 3):
I can't help wonder if FR brought them in before EI would this "commercial charge" have been introduced then.

Indeed, and I think it's a silly move by the DAA. Having Kiosks greatly reduces queues and space constriants and that is something the DAA should be welcoming with open arms given the congestion in the check in area.

Then again, I guess it's all part of the great, never ending war "DAA vs. FR".

OA260

Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:38 am

Quoting Danny (Reply 2):
I assume they will charge something like €8 for "bypassing the queue". You will conveniently pay it by putting your credit card into the machine which will charge additional €5 credit card fee.

You must have insider indo LOL....

shamrock604

Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:43 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 5):
You must have insider indo LOL....

It would be very FR though...  Smile

BrianDromey

Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:28 pm

Quoting Shamrock604 (Reply 4):
Indeed, and I think it's a silly move by the DAA. Having Kiosks greatly reduces queues and space constriants and that is something the DAA should be welcoming with open arms given the congestion in the check in area.

Well, ultimately the DAA woudl loose revenue from not having the desks rented out. It is likely to be a minimal charge anyway. In fairness there are EI kiosks crammed into every random corner in the departures area, most of which are never used, and are clutering up the place more than anything else. Kisoks and OLCI are the way to go though, I cant wait until the kiosks are able to tag the bag and off it goes. Its such a mess getting your card from the machience, then going to Bag Tag and Drop and possibly having to go to the ticket desk, and back to the check-in to collect the BP. Nightmare! A bluetooth chip&pin card reader would not kill them!

The queues to the kiskos can be stupid as well. If one kiosk is manned, then people will only use that one.....urgh!

It is also interesting to see that FR will attempt to sell you things as you check-in. So you will have to pay for the privilage of using the machiene, then they will get money fro anythign you buy. Well MOL can fe*k off, if I have to pay to use check-in Im gonna use the most costly (for him) method possible, uless they charge less for the kiosk, of course!

Brian.
Next flights: MAN-ORK-LHR(EI)-MAN(BD); MAN-LHR(BD)-ORK (EI); DUB-ZRH-LAX (LX) LAX-YYZ (AC) YYZ-YHZ-LHR(AC)-DUB(BD)

shamrock604

Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:09 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 7):
Well, ultimately the DAA woudl loose revenue from not having the desks rented out. It is likely to be a minimal charge anyway. In fairness there are EI kiosks crammed into every random corner in the departures area, most of which are never used, and are clutering up the place more than anything else

True, but I think we would all agree that without OLCI and kiosks, the departures hall would have been an even bigger mess than it is now with the huge expansion in Aer Lingus services in recent years. Can you imagine how it would be without the kiosks and OLCI? Ughhhh..

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 7):
It is also interesting to see that FR will attempt to sell you things as you check-in.

Yes, and that may mean that there will be no benefit to be had from their kiosks as people will only stay at them longer. Seems like a sideways rather than a foreward step when you take that into account.

EI564

Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:33 pm

Quoting Shamrock604 (Reply 8):
Yes, and that may mean that there will be no benefit to be had from their kiosks as people will only stay at them longer. Seems like a sideways rather than a foreward step when you take that into account.

Its interesting that that is what the Indo article also referred to...

"What we're ultimately interested in is whether this will clear up space in the departures hall," said one source. "If people are going to be spending long amounts of time on these things that's not something we'd want to encourage."

I presume that is why there might be a charge for kiosks.

Also, nobody wants the airport to be overrun with kiosks. It already has Aer Lingus, bmi and Air France. Maybe SAS too? If Ryanair had the choice it would probably dump loads of kiosks into the terminal (so it can sell stuff to passengers), never mind that it might actually make things more congested, not less. Hopefully a payment will keep things reasonable. And as stated, i'm sure it will be cheaper than having a real check-in desk.

What you really want is all airlines to use the same kiosks but I presume they would never agree to that.

[Edited 2007-11-06 06:42:55]

shamrock604

Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:27 pm

Quoting EI564 (Reply 9):
Its interesting that that is what the Indo article also referred to...

I dont work for the DAA... honest!!!  Smile

OA260

Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:27 pm

Easyjet announced that they are to sell thru travel agents and their flights will be available in Galileo and Amadeus.

Im just waiting for FR to do the same LOL.....

B747forever

Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:41 pm

After some trouble i found this thread. ( and with some help from OA260)

Quoting EI564 (Reply 9):
Maybe SAS too?

Think that SAS has self check-in kiosks in DUB.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 1):
BA rated worst for lost bags and delays

I am not surprised.

I have travel with BA twice from/to ARN and LAX. And they have lost my baggage once and twice they have delivered it really late. One of the bag came 5days late.

Hope now when BA will move to T5 that their baggage handling will be much better.
Work Hard, Fly Right

Toulouse

Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:42 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 12):
After some trouble i found this thread. ( and with some help from OA260)

Glad you found your way. Was just copying the link to respond to your post on the previous thread but I see OA260 has been even more efficient!
Long live Aer Lingus!

B747forever

Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:44 pm

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 13):
Glad you found your way

And I am really glad that i found the thread.

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 13):
Was just copying the link to respond to your post on the previous thread but I see OA260 has been even more efficient!

Thank you anyway.
Work Hard, Fly Right

BrianDromey

Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:59 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 14):
And I am really glad that i found the thread.

If you cant find us the easieast thing to do is to presst "CTRL" and "F" (as in Find) and just type "Irish" into the box, unless we have named it somehting else, like Irlandais a few threads back you will find us without a bother!

Remember that fingers were made before forks, but Keyboards were made before Mice! Infact there are few (if any?) functions which can't be completed on the keyboard.

Brian.
(p.s. if you use a mac, the command is "Cmnd/Apple Key" and "F")
Next flights: MAN-ORK-LHR(EI)-MAN(BD); MAN-LHR(BD)-ORK (EI); DUB-ZRH-LAX (LX) LAX-YYZ (AC) YYZ-YHZ-LHR(AC)-DUB(BD)

B747forever

Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:05 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 15):
If you cant find us the easieast thing to do is to presst "CTRL" and "F" (as in Find) and just type "Irish" into the box, unless we have named it somehting else, like Irlandais a few threads back you will find us without a bother!

Thank you for your advice. Really appreciate it.

Wow, all you guys really wants to help me in all ways to find this thread. I really appreciate it. Feels like we all are a really big and great family  Wink
Work Hard, Fly Right

kaitak

Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:50 pm

I'm sorry you had such a problem getting to the new thread; I usually try to post a link to the new one at the end of the old thread, but I tried this about six or seven times this morning and it just wasn't happening.

I'm glad to see that FR is introducing these check in machines; I've always found them very useful. My parents love them too. You can say that a lot of things have disimproved in recent years, but this and Internet booking (and of course, the Internet generally) has really added to the flying experience.

Quoting EI564 (Reply 9):
What you really want is all airlines to use the same kiosks but I presume they would never agree to that.

It is certainly feasible; I'm sure, for example, that you could have (if you don't already) airlines of the same alliance using each others' machines. When I passed through LGW last weekend, I saw that there are machines provided by the BAA for a number of carriers, including NW.

f1eddie

Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:59 pm

Yeah its o funny. I checked in online with SQ from Perth to SIN and then i got to the airport and did my bag drop and got my BC. I had one person in front of me i think. Then i saw the normal queue for those that do nothing but walk up to the counter and it was massive.

Same happened in SIN but they have a downtown check in and you get everything there and you just need to drop your bags at the airport. Great service. Never noticed the SSCI machines but I'm sure SQ have them
Flown on EI, FR, BMI, TG, PG, FD, JQ, DJ, LA, NZ, SQ, DL, LX, LH

B747forever

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:07 pm

Quoting F1eddie (Reply 18):
Same happened in SIN but they have a downtown check in and you get everything there and you just need to drop your bags at the airport

That didn't I know. So you get your BCs in downtown??
Work Hard, Fly Right

BrianDromey

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:13 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 16):
Thank you for your advice. Really appreciate it.

Not a bother.

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 17):
It is certainly feasible; I'm sure, for example, that you could have (if you don't already) airlines of the same alliance using each others' machines.

I THINK (from previous posts) that the reason EI was not likely to expand FastPass byond the current airports was becasue of campatability issues with "Departure Control System". I know from TRs that SAS does third party handling (such as charters) and the SSKs can be used. SO I extend that the SSK's would have to be limited to a specific ground handler? Sky Handling, Ryanair, Servisair, Aviance, Aer Lingus would all have to have their own kiosks but these could be used by any airline they handle, Thinking about though, if my Mac can run windows in parallel to OS X, then surely it would be possible to have more than one DCS on each machiene?

MAN also has common SSKs, (IBM, like the EI ones) but perhaps these are ServisAir, etc kisoks, I dont know.

Brian.

f1eddie

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:45 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 19):
So you get your BCs in downtown?

Yep but only in singapore
Flown on EI, FR, BMI, TG, PG, FD, JQ, DJ, LA, NZ, SQ, DL, LX, LH

thediplomat

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:46 pm

I notice that SNN airport had two passenger departures after 5.30 this evening, with Beauvais and Krakow.

Ghost-town.

smokeyrosco

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:51 pm

Quoting EI564 (Reply 9):
Maybe SAS too?

Yes SAS have 2 SSCI machines in DUB, which unlike EI's ones they print out baggage tags for you.

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 20):
I THINK (from previous posts) that the reason EI was not likely to expand FastPass byond the current airports was becasue of campatability issues with "Departure Control System".

BFS will be the next place to get them, but not yet.

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 20):
if my Mac can run windows in parallel to OS X, then surely it would be possible to have more than one DCS on each machiene?

It's not really that simple unfortunately. But quite possibly this will happen in the future, all they need is the airlines to come up with a standard SSCI between them.
John Hancock

kaitak

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:53 pm

Quoting TheDiplomat (Reply 22):
I notice that SNN airport had two passenger departures after 5.30 this evening, with Beauvais and Krakow.

Yes, but there will probably be more once FR brings in the new LGW and STN flights it has promised, once EI quits the LHR-SNN route. I was in SNN last weekend and it certainly was busy; my 738 flight to LGW had 185 pax (overhead cabin crew count), which is very respectable - that's a route that could certainly stand another service.

Anyone know how FR is doing on DUB route (i.e. from SNN!)

iRISH251

Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:23 pm

For those who like to be aware of such things, FedEx has this week taken over from Air Contractors the nightly DUB-STN-CDG-STN-DUB rotation with one of their own A300Fs. N723FD is the aircraft being used at present but there will be periodic rotation of the assigned aircraft.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Michael Arcellana

BrianDromey

Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:41 pm

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 23):
It's not really that simple unfortunately.

Haha, it never is! It took about 40 years for apple to do it!

Correct me if Im wrong here, but airports that use a common system for check-in (I know LCY does) shoudl find it preety easy to introduce a common SSK, right? If all of the data is in one place already, but that prob way too simple!

Quoting Irish251 (Reply 25):
edEx has this week taken over from Air Contractors the nightly DUB-STN-CDG-STN-DUB rotation with one of their own A300Fs.

Did air contractors operate an A300 on this route as well or was it an ATR?

Cheers,
Brian.

kaitak

Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:58 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 26):
Did air contractors operate an A300 on this route as well or was it an ATR?

Air Contractors had an A300 - often to be seen around the back of the airport. Good to see FedEx operate this flight, but wondering if it will now operate services to the US - the A300 should be able to operate DUB-EWR, which is a FedEx hub. There is now "Open Skies" for cargo too, between Ireland and the US.

There's a thread running on the DUB Airport forum right now, to the effect that EK is to operate DUB-DXB from next year's Summer season, daily with 777s. Great news if it comes through (although EY probably won't be that enthusiastic). Also reported that Air Asia is interested in DUB, for later next year or 2009.

OA260

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:07 pm

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 23):
BFS will be the next place to get them, but not yet.

Will they have them in place by 10th December??? Will I be able to check in online ???

Yes they do I used them and they were great. By passed the cattle at check in . Nothing worse then having to que behind people with tons of cases when you only have hand baggage.

iRISH251

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:24 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 27):
Air Contractors had an A300 - often to be seen around the back of the airport. Good to see FedEx operate this flight, but wondering if it will now operate services to the US - the A300 should be able to operate DUB-EWR, which is a FedEx hub. There is now "Open Skies" for cargo too, between Ireland and the US.

This is an intra-Europe operation only. FedEx already have a number of A300s and A310s operating in Europe centred, I think, on the CDG hub and this is merely a reorganisation, with Air Contractors' A300s being redeployed into DHL service, where I understand they will take up Belgian registrations and perhaps DHL livery also. It is interesting to see their fleet which, according to their website, includes quite a number of aircraft, mostly ATRs, leased out to other operators.

http://www.aircontractors.com/detail.aspx?page=Fleet

ac747

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:39 pm

So, for Summer '08 we have at DUB (so far) :

S7 to Moscow
WOW to Plymouth.
Possible EK to Dubai.
TS to Montreal (and Toronto)
GSM to Calgary/Vancouver.
New EI to Ibiza.
The Air Asia is an exciting prospect to Bangkok/Shanghai if it comes off.

From ORK:

New EI to Jersey.

Have I missed any?
Haven't we been here before ?

OA260

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:48 pm

Quoting AC747 (Reply 30):
Have I missed any?

LH to TXL and STR

BT to OTP

MUC with LH will be coming online but probably not until Winter 2008 by the looks of things.

bx737

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:53 pm

There's a thread running on the DUB Airport forum right now, to the effect that EK is to operate DUB-DXB from next year's Summer season, daily with 777s.

Remember though you heard it here first in either 46/07 or 45/07   

Regarding Air Contractors, first of all the fleet list on the link above is very impressive, also were they not due to get Boeing 737s at some stage

[Edited 2007-11-06 12:56:00]

kaitak

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:53 pm

Quoting AC747 (Reply 30):
The Air Asia is an exciting prospect to Bangkok/Shanghai if it comes off.

I think the Air Asia route will be to KUL and from later next year or 2009; BKK/PVG, if it happens, is most likely by EI and again, EI will need to think and plan carefully, if this is not to become another DXB. Still think they'll look for more US routes before going east again, though.

Saw this on the news section this evening:

http://www.abcmoney.co.uk/news/062007159074.htm

smokeyrosco

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:18 pm

N723FD is the aircraft being used at present but there will be periodic rotation of the assigned aircraft.

really? I though they couldn't use N registered aircraft intra-europe? or was the dude from UPS filling me with bull, he said thats why they had to use Mersk (sp?)

There is now "Open Skies" for cargo too, between Ireland and the US.

maybe that explains it.

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 26):
shoudl find it preety easy to introduce a common SSK, right?

Well getting the system to work is probably easy enough, getting it to work well and reliably is the problem, if a CSA has a problem she reboots the computer, if I just put in my credit card and the SSCI gives me the blue screen of death I'd probably think the kiosk found out how much I had spend on my credit card over my holiday!

Also, each airline uses it's own system in DUB, although they use the same computers they either log on using a login for the airline or the handling agent which would which would load a separate profile and necessary apps for the airline.

Speaking of which didn't RE spend €1 million euro on such a system and now they have outsourced ground handling in DUB? hmmm seems a bit of a waste although I'm sure Sky is using it now? I remember it being pretty complicated.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 28):
Will they have them in place by 10th December???

Nope, I believe although from a source I wouldn't usually quote as he is susceptible to rumor, that it will be just before summer 09... assuming that BFS is a success.

Will I be able to check in online ???

Rumor has it you will.
John Hancock

smokeyrosco

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:19 pm

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 34):

Rumor has it you will.

EDIT: At least for LHR and AMS
John Hancock

EI787

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:23 pm

If you look at the web check-in on ei.com, BFS is already an option to click on the From and To fields on the webpage. So I guess it's pretty much certain that you will be able to.

OA260

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:37 pm

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 35):

Great .

Quoting EI787 (Reply 36):
If you look at the web check-in on ei.com, BFS is already an option to click on the From and To fields on the webpage. So I guess it's pretty much certain that you will be able to.

As alert as ever , thanks  Big grin Just over 4 weeks and I will know for sure.

iRISH251

Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:32 pm

N723FD is the aircraft being used at present but there will be periodic rotation of the assigned aircraft.

really? I though they couldn't use N registered aircraft intra-europe? or was the dude from UPS filling me with bull, he said thats why they had to use Mersk (sp?)

Well, UPS have also been operating a few A300s in Europe for a while, though perhaps on someone else's AOC, e.g. Star Air, which they also did with 757s for a while before the latter's 762Fs arrived.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Thomas Wirtenberger

smokeyrosco

Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:45 am

Quoting Irish251 (Reply 38):
Well, UPS have also been operating a few A300s in Europe for a while, though perhaps on someone else's AOC, e.g. Star Air, which they also did with 757s for a while before the latter's 762Fs arrived.

Yes but was that to/from the US? The UPS flights that came to Ireland (CGN-DUB-SNN-DUB-CGN) used to be opperated by Channel Express but then they dropped them in favour of the aircraft you can see behind that UPS A300 which is a B767 converted to cargo... when that 767 was initally brought into DUB we had to treat it like a UPS aircraft... when it landed first... I know because I was hand picked to be in the inital crew at 4AM I asked the senior american UPS offical who was there to 'observe' why it wasn't in UPS colours (colors for are american friends) and why was it an OY reg? He said that UPS couldn't base american opperated/ reged aircraft in Europe which is why they started using Maersk (I'm pretty sure I spelt it right this time).

Hense,

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frische Michael
View Large View Medium

Photo © Frische Michael

John Hancock

B747forever

Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:35 am

Quoting F1eddie (Reply 21):
Yep but only in singapore

That is really cool.

Yes they do I used them and they were great. By passed the cattle at check in . Nothing worse then having to que behind people with tons of cases when you only have hand baggage.

Great that you liked SAS self check-in kiosk.

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 33):
Still think they'll look for more US routes before going east again,

And what would be next US route?? Think that we cab see EI soon expand into Asia in a few year. They have to cover some market in Asia too, not just in USA.

Think that we can see EI operate to BKK or HKG in few years. But maybe I have wrong, or what do you guys think???
Work Hard, Fly Right

tonymctigue

Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:54 am

Quoting EI564 (Reply 9):

That would make sense but we all know FR don't share their toys with anyone.

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 15):

This is what I always do but as you say, our brief french grind a few weeks back threw me off when I tried this.

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 24):
Anyone know how FR is doing on DUB route (i.e. from SNN!)

I will be flying that route on the 7th of December so I will see then.

By the way, does anyone here know what time the AF B747 Saturday weelky cargo service arrive in SNN from ORD? I know I departs again around 3:30PM for CDG but I'm not sure what time it arrives.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

shamrock350

Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:05 am

The unwrap Europe advert:

It's like it, especially the shamrock.

bx737

Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:51 am

really? I though they couldn't use N registered aircraft intra-europe?

Didn't Channel Express use US registered aircraft in Europe including the ill fated Electra that decided it would be a good idea to land and take off with the wheels retracted (N285F, if memory serves correctly). There are many other examples of US registered aircraft operating in Europe.

BrianDromey

Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:13 am

There's a thread running on the DUB Airport forum right now, to the effect that EK is to operate DUB-DXB from next year's Summer season, daily with 777s

It seems lik a lot of capacity. Surely a daily A330 operation would make more sense, given the size of the market (perhaps partly mitigated my an RE deal) and the operations constraints at DUB, or is it beacuse EY fly 6x week with 332 that EK have to bring the 777 daily?

Quoting Bx737 (Reply 43):
There are many other examples of US registered aircraft operating in Europe.

One I can think of is when eirJet chartered a North American 757 to take passengers from ORK to AGP, never the less it operated to Zakinthaos instead, god knows why! On the bright side an Air Luxor 333 was found to ferry pax to SNN and onwards to AGP!
Im not sad to see the end of eirJet! Who do falcon/First Choice use now, FUA/FUG? LTE?

Speaking of defunct Irish airlines, I can think of the following;
euroCeltic (kindof)
EU Jet
SkyNet
TransAer
eirJet
EI commuter

Im sure there are others?

Brian.

smokeyrosco

Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:23 am

Quoting Bx737 (Reply 43):
Didn't Channel Express use US registered aircraft in Europe including the ill fated Electra that decided it would be a good idea to land and take off with the wheels retracted (N285F, if memory serves correctly). There are many other examples of US registered aircraft operating in Europe.

I don't know, but maybe because they where/ are (am I right in saying they have no more A300's?) based in Europe they could lease in American aircraft, I do know that UPS did once (at least) operate an N reged UPS 747 into Ireland a few years ago.... I know some N reged aircraft used to operate multi-stop routes in Europe, but are there any instances of an N reged aircraft based in Europe operated by an American operator?
John Hancock

smokeyrosco

Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:26 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 44):
Im sure there are others?

JetGreen
John Hancock

BrianDromey

Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:27 am

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 45):
are there any instances of an N reged aircraft based in Europe operated by an American operator?

I guess it would depend on traffic rights on thr route in question. I know DL, PA, UA and TW all operated prety substantial intra european networks for a few decades 60/70/80's and they had local traffic rights on teh majority of these services.

Brian.

mccormk

Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:31 am

Shamrock. The reason why UPS and Fedex couldn't use N reg aircraft was that they didnt have fifth of freedom rights in the EU as they do a hub and spoke operation.

I think EK are using the 777 not just because of pax but from what I have heard the EI DXB flight have been jam packed with freight. So this way capacity grows for the growing EK network.

smokeyrosco

Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:43 am

Quoting Mccormk (Reply 48):
they didnt

Cool so by what your saying I assume they do now? or will have?

EDIT: The reason I'm so interested is because I'd like to see a UPS Livery in DUB (and SNN) every morning and evening. Although probably a bit early for me now unless I need to be at the airport at 5AM

[Edited 2007-11-07 02:45:35]
John Hancock