sptv

Air China Biz Class Question

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:50 pm

I am flying LAX-PEK TONIGHT. 747-400 Biz Class. Wondering if there are DC powerports for laptops. Also, how's the food and service in general on Air China. I've never flown them before.

JROTTO

RE: Air China Biz Class Question

Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:03 pm

Do not hold me to this, but I flew Biz on the 747-400 on the JFK-PEK route and remember being surprised to see DC powerports.

The food and service on the flight was horrible. The only flight attendant who spoke english was the purser. I found this especially surprising since during my time in china, that almost all of the domestic flight attendants i encountered spoke fantastic english. As for the food, it was pretty mediocre and pretty simple. I would compare it to domestic legacy carrier first class. The AVOD was pitiful, not a single new release movie and an outdated movie guide so i had to no idea what the movies showing were.

The upside is that the seat is quite elegant and upon arrival in PEK you get a private van to baggage claim, WELL ahead of the rest of the passengers.

From now on I will take CX to HKG and take Dragonair to the mainland. I had fanstastic experiences on both of these airlines.

legacyins

Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:43 pm

I fly CA SFO-PEK in business class all the time. As stated above, you are only buying the seat and don't expect much in service terms. Yes, there is a power port for your PC. You will be upstairs as it is a 747 Combi. Ask for the exit seat. They don't care if you speak Chinese or not.

If you don't disembark at a gate, you will have your own little van to take you and everyone else flying first/business to the Terminal. I not sure what lounge you will be able to use at LAX. At SF, you can use the UA red carpet lounge.

sptv

Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:07 am

no one's had any good experience? I was actually told by a friend in the travel biz that Air China is better than United for travel to China.

legacyins

Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:19 am

Quoting Sptv (Reply 3):
no one's had any good experience? I was actually told by a friend in the travel biz that Air China is better than United for travel to China.

It's not that any of us had a good experience but don't expect the same experience as EK,SQ and CX . Yes, I would say it is beeter than UA but I am biased against UA and swore them off years ago.

Ryanair!!!

Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:39 am

Quoting Sptv (Reply 3):

As for trans-Pacific service, it can roughly be classified as...

Group One (excellent service)
SQ, MH, CI, BR, CX, NH, JL, KE, OZ, PR, TG

Group Two (sometimes ok, otherwise blah...)
Mainland Chinese carriers like MU, CA, CZ, and surprisingly TG and MH falls in here sometimes.

Group 3 (avoid where practically possible)
UA, NW
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

Motorhussy

Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:56 am

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 5):
As for trans-Pacific service, it can roughly be classified as...

I'd give trans-Pacific (from the U.S.) three service classifications...

1/ SQ, CX, NZ, JL, NH
2/ MH, TG, KE, CI, BR, QF, PR, TN
3/ MU, CA, CZ

Regards
MH
come visit the south pacific

luv2cattlecall

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:28 am

It reminded me of Airtran's Biz class for some reason...the whole no-frills/glorified premium economy thing.

sptv

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:37 am

Just got in. All of the above is fairly accurate. Very much like first class domestic US on a legacy carrier. Terrible AVOD, food was fine, lav had a cracked toilet, FA's were very nice and attentive. Overall, it was a comfortable flight, but nothing special.