sq452

IFE Software Makers...who Does It?

Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:08 am

I know there are only a handful of actual IFE hardware makers in the world, but who actually develops the software or the actual 'program' to run something on the IFE? Reason I bring this up is I know the new KrisWorld on the A380 and the 777-300ER uses a Sun Microsystems office platform to run the office applications but I don't think they are actually behind the whole of the KrisWorld system...
SIN > CVG > BOS

LXA340

RE: IFE Software Makers...who Does It?

Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:08 pm

Well there is Masushita, Panasonic and Rockwell Collins however I don't know if they are only hardware or also producing most of the software. Most airlines getting a system now use one of those 3 systems I don't know if there are much more other systems now on the market.

philipkk

Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:12 pm

Well, there is Thales. I'm not very sure of which component they make but I often hear of the IFE being equipped by them.

knoxibus

Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:05 pm

Quoting LXA340 (Reply 1):
Well there is Masushita, Panasonic and Rockwell Collins

Humm, Matsushita took their worldwide brand name Panansonic a couple of years ago, therefore so far in the market we have Panasonic, Thales and Rockwell-Collins.

Rockwell has given up the long range aircraft market and now focuses on single aisle/business aviation systems (coupled with their Airshow system).

Panasonic has about 80% of the market (at least on Airbus aircraft).

The H/W and S/W are made by the same company. The IFE suppliers develop their core S/W based on a platform, i.e. the most appropriate one when they launch a new system (therefore it can be different over a couple of years, depends how many systems they produce). This core S/W is then customised to integrate the various functionalities and GUIs that the customer want.
No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.

1337Delta764

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:02 pm

Quoting Knoxibus (Reply 3):
Humm, Matsushita took their worldwide brand name Panansonic a couple of years ago, therefore so far in the market we have Panasonic, Thales and Rockwell-Collins.

Don't forget about LiveTV, JetBlue's IFE subsidiary, which is very popular with LCCs.

Quoting Knoxibus (Reply 3):
Rockwell has given up the long range aircraft market and now focuses on single aisle/business aviation systems (coupled with their Airshow system).

Not necessarily. While Rockwell Collins currently doesn't have a contract to supply IFE to the 787 and A350 from the factory, they continue to supply systems aftermarket. AA's new IFE system that will be installed on their 777s is a Rockwell Collins system, presumably the dTES or eTES system.
The Pink Delta 767-400ER - The most beautiful aircraft in the sky

LXA340

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:21 pm

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 4):
Not necessarily. While Rockwell Collins currently doesn't have a contract to supply IFE to the 787 and A350 from the factory, they continue to supply systems aftermarket. AA's new IFE system that will be installed on their 777s is a Rockwell Collins system, presumably the dTES or eTES system.

The IFE system on LH at least the AVOD for C and F class is also Rockwell Collins, don't know about the new IFE for Economy Class.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos