ThrottleHold
Topic Author

Irish Aviation's 50th....Take Two....

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:01 pm

2 hours, and no-one has started the 50th thread?....

[Edited 2007-11-12 09:01:57]

B747forever

RE: Irish Aviation's 50th....Take Two....

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:04 pm

Quoting ThrottleHold (Thread starter):
2 hours, and no-one has started the 50th thread?....

We actually wait on Kaitak so start the thread.
Work Hard, Fly Right

OA260

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:07 pm

Hi there thanks for starting. I was going to but thought Kaitak may have started one by now . Anyway great to be onto thread number 50 !!!

I wonder how things have been going down on Pier D ???http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/96373/?threadid=96373&searchid=96373&s=sata#ID96373

shamrock350

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:11 pm

Great to see Pier D up and running, it's going to be a huge improvement.

Video:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1112/airport_av.html?2307973,null,230

OA260

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:11 pm

B747forever that link is for you !!!

shamrock604

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:17 pm

Had a look at Pier D today.

First impressions: very spacious, more so than anywhere in the airport!

Very bright and airy, high ceilings, loads of room, but a little bit clinical and lacking in colour. You can also see a bit of a resemblance to pier C, but without the carpets and trimmings, and its much wider.

I have three snaps to post, but thanks to the this site still acting up, no luck im afraid.. i can send them to anyone interested, just PM me.

B747forever

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:21 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 4):
B747forever that link is for you !!!

Great will read it soon.

Quoting Shamrock604 (Reply 6):
First impressions: very spacious, more so than anywhere in the airport!

That is really good impression. So they have succeeded to build a great Pier.

Would nice to see the pics.
Work Hard, Fly Right

kaitak

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:24 pm

Thanks for setting up our 50th thread, Throttle Hold!

Actually, 747 Forever, anyone can set up an Irish thread - it will be your turn some day! I have just set up a Singapore Aviation thread, so it's not exclusive. We have a nice little global village here at A.net!

Actually, I'm just out of the office out of work, so I was sorry to see that No. 49 was cut short; let's make sure it doesn't happen again this time!

Glad to see Pier D open at last and looking forward to using it. Actually, a friend of mine, a 738 FO with FR, was in DUB a few days ago and he was saying that it's become incredibly busy; he was based there, on 732s, when he first qualified, but even in those few years it's really got a lot busier. With all the apron works and Notams which probably change daily with new construction projects, it must be quite a handful. It's hard to reconcile my home airport with the airport I grew up with as a teenager in the mid 1980s, when DUB was handling about 2.5m ppa.

Let's hope the growth continues. As I said on the last thread, the key for many airlines (like bmi) seems to be emerging markets and for this, we're on the wrong side of Europe. Sod's law, when you think about it - when Open Skies finally comes around, the US market is weak; we need (a) to develop Asian markets and (b) to ensure our infrastructure can support that growth. It's great to see SQ Cargo and EY, but let's hope EK gives us the green light (they've just spent $30b on new airliners, so they can hardly say they're worried about early start-up losses at DUB, although I doubt if even that will happen).

I'm coming home on Thursday evening, from LGW with EI and weather permitting, I'm hoping to be at the aeropuerto on Saturday, so maybe I'll see some of you out there!

B747forever

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:30 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 7):
Actually, 747 Forever, anyone can set up an Irish thread

Okey I see.

it will be your turn some day

That day will be a memorable day for me. Hope soon I can make a Irish thread. That would be a honour.

we need (a) to develop Asian markets and

That is one of the main factors for the weak U.S market.

but let's hope EK gives us the green light

Everyone here wait on EK to start to serve DUB. Really hope they can do it soon.
Work Hard, Fly Right

shamrock604

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:56 pm

Let's hope the growth continues. As I said on the last thread, the key for many airlines (like bmi) seems to be emerging markets and for this, we're on the wrong side of Europe

Indeed Kaitak, you alluded to your thoughts on the economy earlier. I have to say I dont personally agree with the doom-mongers: house price drops etc had to happen, it was geting way out of hand and the years of double digit growth couldnt go on for ever. We are just "normalising" as a wealthy nation now I feel. Of course, such logic wont stop us Irish getting all worked about impending "economic collapse". We have to have something to complain about: its just how we are!  

Or, perhaps, im just trying to delude myself into thinking that my current spending habits can continue..  Wink

Anyway, yes, its high time now that the DAA/CAA/SAA and everyone involved realised that they need to get out there and chase new business: when the economy slows (note I say "slows" and not "goes into recession") the DAA/ Govt cant expect the growth to just to just come our way as it has done of late. At least the signs are promising with Pier D, new Runway and new terminal on the way. But, as ever, we need more!

[Edited 2007-11-12 09:59:42]

ac747

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:03 pm

Howdy!
Just back from Stansted on FR. Didn't get to use Pier D this morning, but what the hey. Certainly can't fault FR on their service - on time and no hassle. Had priority boarding, so was first on in both airports! It's been a long time since I used Stansted and it was a real easy option.
Anyway, back to YVR tomorrow on BA through LHR.
Thanks for the help on the last thread regarding my flight today.
Cheers !
Haven't we been here before ?

B747forever

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:12 pm

Quoting AC747 (Reply 10):
Anyway, back to YVR tomorrow on BA through LHR.

Hope you will have a good flight to YVR. Writing any TR???
Work Hard, Fly Right

f1eddie

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:29 pm

hey guys. Only found this now. God the last one came to an abrupt end. Oh well. Did any of ye see on the six one news. EI are going to strike again starting next tuesday and will be rolling. Think the next one is scheduled for thursday. Think it is over the pay freeze but I'm not sure. No links yet but im sure they will be there soon!!!!
Flown on EI, FR, BMI, TG, PG, FD, JQ, DJ, LA, NZ, SQ, DL, LX, LH

shamrock350

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 pm

Quote:
Industrial action notice at Aer Lingus

Monday, 12 November 2007 18:10
A spokesman for Aer Lingus has said the company is surprised at what it called an 'unnecessary and unhelpful development' from SIPTU.

SIPTU this evening said it is activating notice of industrial action on Tuesday and Friday of next week at Dublin, Shannon and Cork airports.

The spokesman said Aer Lingus will not tolerate any action which puts customers and services at risk.

He added the matter is before the National Implementation Body and said it is surprising any action would be taken by SIPTU in light of this.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2007/1112/aerlingus.html

Quote:
BA increases fuel surcharge
BA customers now face an increase from £4 to £20 on return short-haul flights, £30 to £116 on long-haul return flights of more than nine hours and £20 to £96 on long-haul return flights of less than nine hours.

http://itn.co.uk/news/045edb752dfd08dbe7571c9a1640bdf0.html

B747forever

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:32 pm

Quoting F1eddie (Reply 12):
EI are going to strike again starting next tuesday and will be rolling

Oh no. This is not good at all. Hope they ´wont be like Alitalia.
Work Hard, Fly Right

shamrock604

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:40 pm

Is it just me or is everyone getting a bit sick of this constant threat of industrial action? what is so insurmountable at EI that both sides cant seem to get it together and speak to each other?

Possibly it is time to stop booking with them until they both cop on and realise that the airline is there to provide a service to people who pay good money to fly with them.

I saw the pilots point last time, I know the staff are pi**ed off for all kinds of reasons, but really, its getting a bit ridiculous now.

Is it time to ditch the management, or do staff need to shoulder some blame here as well?

If i cant rely on the service, then my travel money goes elsewhere. Sorry, but enough is enough. (My money wont be going to FR by the way: dont worry, I havent gone soft..)

B747forever

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:54 pm

Quoting Shamrock604 (Reply 15):

Remember when I felt exactly as you when SAS had strike problem.
Work Hard, Fly Right

OA260

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:05 pm

Quoting Shamrock604 (Reply 9):
Indeed Kaitak, you alluded to your thoughts on the economy earlier. I have to say I dont personally agree with the doom-mongers: house price drops etc had to happen,

Yes things have to do a down turn soon. Oil will hit $150-$180 a barrel next year according to some and if things with Iran get worse then it could seal off the Persian Gulf. Also everyone on this Island seems to be living off credit and loans!!! The worst case scenario it becomes like the time in the UK when repossessions of houses were happening every minute. I hear of the mortgages that people have these days and I dont know how they cope. I wouldn't sleep at night.

Is it just me or is everyone getting a bit sick of this constant threat of industrial action? what is so insurmountable at EI that both sides cant seem to get it together and speak to each other?

Hmm shame if it goes ahead. Hopefully they can sort it out before it happens otherwise we will have a winter of discontent.

shamrock604

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:22 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 17):
I hear of the mortgages that people have these days and I dont know how they cope. I wouldn't sleep at night.

Indeed, anyone who took on a 100% mortgage must be worried. Thankfully, im not one of those people, and have lived within my means. The banks though, are partly culpable with this by even introducing a 100% mortgage. They must surely have seen this coming.

f1eddie

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:24 pm

Anyway, yes, its high time now that the DAA/CAA/SAA and everyone involved realised that they need to get out there and chase new business: when the economy slows (note I say "slows" and not "goes into recession") the DAA/ Govt cant expect the growth to just to just come our way as it has done of late. At least the signs are promising with Pier D, new Runway and new terminal on the way. But, as ever, we need more!

Oh i forgot to say that the DAA had an advert in the Sunday Business Post. Ill take a photo of it and ill post it later

Is it just me or is everyone getting a bit sick of this constant threat of industrial action?

Yup I'm getting board of all these strikes. Can they not just be so stubborn and work with each other??

f1eddie

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:31 pm

Quoting Shamrock604 (Reply 18):
Indeed, anyone who took on a 100% mortgage must be worried. Thankfully, im not one of those people, and have lived within my means. The banks though, are partly culpable with this by even introducing a 100% mortgage. They must surely have seen this coming.

Im hopefully going to be one of those soon so i want the property market to go down!!! But i dont think it will drop much more so i think its a great time to buy. Im not going to sit around untill next year when everything balances out and i lose a very vital card which i can currently play.... No one is buying so here is what i am willing to pay!!! Oh also living at home and renting out my purchase for three more years will help very much ease the burden!!!!

OA260

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:32 pm

LTU / Slatterys have slapped on a EUR 92 Fuel surcharge onto its DUB-CPT flights with immediate effect!!!

S4 have announced resumption of DUB-PDL flights from May next year. Im really happy about that as I loved my trip there this year and would love to go back.

----------------------------------------

On another note be careful when sending things at the moment with An Post!!! I had a mate who sent me EUR100 worth of vouchers and he sent it registered. When I got the envelope it had been tampered with and when I opened it the vouchers were missing!! You can imagine how upset I was. Lucky I can claim off An Post but for a registered item its bad form. Apparently it happens quite often according to the guy in customer services.

B747forever

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:37 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 21):
S4 have announced resumption of DUB-PDL flights from May next year

For how long will they serve DUB from PDL?? Until September??
Work Hard, Fly Right

BrianDromey

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:39 pm

have to say I dont personally agree with the doom-mongers: house price drops etc had to happen, it was geting way out of hand and the years of double digit growth couldnt go on for ever. We are just "normalising" as a wealthy nation now I feel. Of course, such logic wont stop us Irish getting all worked about impending "economic collapse".

I agree with you to some extent, say what we will about teh current government, but they have built a diverse economy, built around high value products and services, of which demand will not fluccuate too much with economic variations. I am thinking of pharma in perticular.
The other advantage which will help to prop up the economy is the relative distain we have for unsecured credit. I partly attribute this to the governmnet stamp duty and the love the Irish have for the cheque, and more so, cash. In the UK the card is used for any transaction greater than £5, not so much in Ireland. Look at my overdraf allowance for example, I was pre approved for £1250 where in Ireland I would get €500, and student loans are "automatic" here, to the tune of at least 4K/year.

Possibly it is time to stop booking with them until they both cop on and realise that the airline is there to provide a service to people who pay good money to fly with them.

Well said sir.

(My money wont be going to FR by the way: dont worry, I havent gone soft..)

To be fair to FR, they are among the least likely to ever have a strike called upon them. FR might not be a nice company, but I honestly think this thread portrays FR as some sort of delay prone third airline. When all goes to plan FR is great, you get where you want to go, on time, for a realtively low fare. Now when things go wrong.....its time to get out the crash helmet. I dont like FR, but at the end of the day what do EI give me for £65 more? An assigned seat is about it. For a short hop to DUB I think I can live without recline and yellow overhead bins. People might put up with MOL/FR bull when they run on time, but if FR were constantly late then people would choose U2, etc, at lest not 22.1 million times a year!

Brian.
Next flights: MAN-ORK-LHR(EI)-MAN(BD); MAN-LHR(BD)-ORK (EI); DUB-ZRH-LAX (LX) LAX-YYZ (AC) YYZ-YHZ-LHR(AC)-DUB(BD)

OA260

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:43 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 22):
For how long will they serve DUB from PDL?? Until September??

Yes just for the Summer. Nice to see it again. Sunway Travel have taken allocation to offer packages.

tonymctigue

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:44 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 3):
Great to see Pier D up and running, it's going to be a huge improvement.

Hopefully this will be the first of many badly needed improvements to come over the next few years. I can't wait to see it. I will be flying the new FR SNN-DUB service on the 7th of December & returning the 9th so I hopefully will get a chance to see it. By the way, what would you guys reccomend for check in times at DUB? This believe it or not will actually be my first time ever flying out of DUB. I have flown into DUB twice but never out of it.

Quoting F1eddie (Reply 12):
Did any of ye see on the six one news. EI are going to strike again starting next tuesday and will be rolling. Think the next one is scheduled for thursday. Think it is over the pay freeze but I'm not sure. No links yet but im sure they will be there soon!!!!

Just when everyone seemed to be getting along a bit better. I reckon it is EI's goal to get rid of all the bad industrial relations & all the ridiculous, outdated work practices in one swoop regardless of the impact it will have on the airline or the passengers in the short term. If they succeed, they will have more freedom & more flexibility to expand & grow the airline in the medium to long term & really give FR a run for their money. If they fail however, it is anyone's guess as to what will happen but it won't be pretty.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

B747forever

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:44 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 24):
Yes just for the Summer

okey. But if it really makes good for SATA, can we see them operate this in the winter months too???
Work Hard, Fly Right

shamrock604

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:55 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 23):
To be fair to FR, they are among the least likely to ever have a strike called upon them

I agree. They are on-time, reliable and all that jazz. I just dont like them.  Wink

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 25):
By the way, what would you guys reccomend for check in times at DUB?

If you check in on-line, one hour is plenty. Straight through the domestic lane at security (you will find it at the security check located near Check in area 11/12 and you will be happily on your way to Pier A/D. You could easily make it in less time when its not so busy at DUB.

If you checking in the old fashioned way, i would Leave 90 minutes just to be safe. What time are your flights? If you are on the evening one, happy days, as it will be reasonably quiet at departures.

tonymctigue

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:04 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 23):
To be fair to FR, they are among the least likely to ever have a strike called upon them. FR might not be a nice company, but I honestly think this thread portrays FR as some sort of delay prone third airline. When all goes to plan FR is great, you get where you want to go, on time, for a realtively low fare. Now when things go wrong.....its time to get out the crash helmet. I dont like FR, but at the end of the day what do EI give me for £65 more? An assigned seat is about it. For a short hop to DUB I think I can live without recline and yellow overhead bins. People might put up with MOL/FR bull when they run on time, but if FR were constantly late then people would choose U2, etc, at lest not 22.1 million times a year!

I have to agree with you Brian. If FR were constantly late & treating people like crap all the time then they wouldn't have grown to be Europe's largest low fares airline. At the end of the day, MOL does have a valid point. Even though it doesn't seem as obvious, full service airlines charge you for all the same items as FR but they just do so in one lump sum when you buy your ticket, whether you make use of all the services included in the price or not. FR break down the cost of the flight into the constitutent parts, displays them during the booking process & charges you for the items you intend to use. Many people do not check bags so why should they have to pay to do so. Others don't care where they sit so why should they pay for the privilage of getting a pre-assigned seat. Most people I know don't even eat airline food so why should they pay for it. I think in many ways it is a fairer way of pricing in that people who just want to get from A to B but don't really care how they get there or under what circumstances. Others who like their additional comforts should pay for them accordingly but those who don't shouldn't have to. The one thing they should do however, it make it clearer what is included in the price when they advertise fares.

On a slightly different note, I didn't see this posted above so I decided to post it here. Sorry if it came up on the last thread.

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news....r=07&month=nov&story=gen-en-081107
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

OA260

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:16 pm

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 28):
On a slightly different note, I didn't see this posted above so I decided to post it here. Sorry if it came up on the last thread.

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news....81107

Yes I saw that. There is also a thread on it. As I said there , ''whats new'' they always sue someone lol....

Quoting B747forever (Reply 26):
okey. But if it really makes good for SATA, can we see them operate this in the winter months too???

Its not really a winter destination . Mind you alot of older retired people from Norway and Sweden seemed to be there when I was there. I have to say very nice atmosphere. Better than the Brits/Irish abroad crowd you normally get in these package resorts.

B747forever

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:17 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 29):
Its not really a winter destination

Okey, I see.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 29):
Mind you alot of older retired people from Norway and Sweden seemed to be there when I was there. I have to say very nice atmosphere. Better than the Brits/Irish abroad crowd you normally get in these package resorts.

Really nice that you like us Scandinavian.  thumbsup 
Work Hard, Fly Right

OA260

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:22 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 30):
Really nice that you like us Scandinavian.

Yes I have alot of respect for you guys !!! I have always met polite and decent people from the Scandinavian countries. Also your English puts even English speaking countries to shame!!! I also like the Swiss and the Germans. If I was going on holidays I would look at the brochures from these countries to see what hotels they use and avoid the UK/Irish brochures.

B747forever

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:27 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 31):
Yes I have alot of respect for you guys !!!

That is great. And since I have been here around I really like Irish people more and more.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 31):
I have always met polite and decent people from the Scandinavian countries.

Hope you wont meet the bad ones.  Wink

Why dont you make a visit to Sweden sometime???
Work Hard, Fly Right

tonymctigue

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:30 pm

Quoting Shamrock604 (Reply 27):
If you checking in the old fashioned way, i would Leave 90 minutes just to be safe. What time are your flights? If you are on the evening one, happy days, as it will be reasonably quiet at departures.

Thanks for the info. My flight is at 18:55. I am really looking forward to seeing how the loads are because really do want to see a SNN-DUB service suceed. There has been so many unsuccessful attempts to operate SNN-DUB especially with EI more than likely dropping the route. Every other airport has a service to DUB with mixed levels of success but they have all managed to retain the route, allbeit some of them with PSO levies. I see no reason why the route won't be a success other than people just not bothering tp use it (I know this is probably the single biggest obstacle between sucess & failure).

EISHN

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:39 pm

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 25):
Just when everyone seemed to be getting along a bit better. I reckon it is EI's goal to get rid of all the bad industrial relations & all the ridiculous, outdated work practices in one swoop regardless of the impact it will have on the airline or the passengers in the short term. If they succeed, they will have more freedom & more flexibility to expand & grow the airline in the medium to long term & really give FR a run for their money. If they fail however, it is anyone's guess as to what will happen but it won't be pretty.

Very well put. If DM can get the cost cuts needed in a short period of time, then he's had a success in that manner, although I still think he has made a number of bad decisions (bag charges, seat selection charges etc.). If he can get this though, this will not only benefit him, but the next CEO who won't have to deal with it.

Regarding Pier D, it looks so incredibly boring, and mundane. Pier B may be a mess because of pax numbers, but there's still a bit of charm left in the old girl, such as the "Failte" sign that welcomes once you get off the finger bridge, and the old floor and wall decor. Another reason why I quite like Shannon. Frankly, I love the red and orange carpets, and seats, and the 1950's toilets, and the baggage trolleys that have been there since the first transatlantic flights.. Just my personal opinion.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

OA260

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:47 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 32):
Why dont you make a visit to Sweden sometime???

Yes its on my list eventually . But only in Summer!!! I hate the cold LOL.....

tonymctigue

Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:58 pm

Quoting EISHN (Reply 34):
Another reason why I quite like Shannon. Frankly, I love the red and orange carpets, and seats, and the 1950's toilets, and the baggage trolleys that have been there since the first transatlantic flights.. Just my personal opinion.

Yes that decor in SNN is quite unique & I do have fond memories. The carpets, the chairs, the zig-zag ceiling, the fake marbel floors, that yellow light up "Shannon "sign outside over the boarding gates & the trollies are all the same today as they were when I made all those TA flights down through the years on the EI B747's ever since I was about 8 months old. To me there is nothing that excites me more when heading off travelling or says "welcome home" after a long overnight flight like decor in SNN. Still though, for those who are experiencing SNN for the first time must think something along the line of "my god, what were they thinking" or "I didn't think that colour was still in fasion" or "sorry about your car sir, I was pushing straight ahead but the trolley just headed off in that direction on its own".

ac747

Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:59 pm

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 28):
If FR were constantly late & treating people like crap all the time then they wouldn't have grown to be Europe's largest low fares airline.

Have to agree with this based on my experience with them today. Flights on time, the planes were clean and the cabin staff smiled (was I just lucky on that last one)?
I would gladly fly with them again. I paid €20 return from DUB to Stansted. If I wanted to pay more on board I could have, but (as most people say when they are defending FR), for that amount of money, it is a very reliable and efficient operation.
On another note, I really hope EI don't go ahead with a strike. The bad PR that can generate is astonishing. I know people have loyalties, but when another airline is offereing to send you to a massive amount of destinations for very little money, then loyalty has a tendancy to go out the window.
Anyway, look forward to logging on here on Wednesday from the West Coast, when no doubt, you''ll be on thread 68!!!
Cheers.
Haven't we been here before ?

EI350

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:17 pm

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 36):
Still though, for those who are experiencing SNN for the first time must think something along the line of "my god, what were they thinking" or "I didn't think that colour was still in fasion" or "sorry about your car sir, I was pushing straight ahead but the trolley just headed off in that direction on its own".

Haha that was my exact feeling last year when we stopped there on our way to NY. It was a feeling of "OMG I can't believe they make US tourists stop here!" It really is like stepping back in time with the old decor. But I understand the sentimental value of such an airport and understand its importance in the region.
Airports: DUB, SNN, JFK, LHR, STN, MIA, CRL, FCO, FAO, PMI, BCN, AMS, MAH, PHL, MSP, GFK, DTW, ATW, IBZ, TLS, OSH

B747forever

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:32 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 35):
But only in Summer!!! I hate the cold LOL.....

Yepp, the best time to visit Sweden is during the summers. Winter are so cold.
Work Hard, Fly Right

BestWestern

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:49 pm

Summer in Stockholm is pure perfect - who needs Malaga, when you have wonderful islands, warm evenings, and cold beer. Nothing more confusing than leaving a night club at 1am and it still being bright though!
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

OA260

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:54 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 40):
Nothing more confusing than leaving a night club at 1am and it still being bright though!

Yes its hard to get used to so bright nights. I did a cruise to the Norwegian Fjords and it was weird that it was like day at 11pm when I wanted to sleep . Still amazing trip which Id deffo do again. I would love to go to Iceland, its always been a dream of mine. I want to visit the Blue Lagoon. Shame we have no service to KEF except for the odd Wallace charter.

bx737

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:16 pm

Shame to see that EI is at the brink of strike........again. There is a lack of trust between both sides in EI. Management regard the staff as a cost item and one that requires cutting all of the time. The staff don't trust management half the distance they can throw them. This mistrust is based on historical reasons. Take for instance the environmental push factors (all the people who came up with that wheese are still there). There is also the unwillingness of management to implement fully deals that are made. From a cabin crew point of view in 2001, EI were on the brink as we all know and cuts were made. As part of the agreement EI had to introduce a Preferential Bid System for rostering which would cater for lifestyle options along with increased productivity. A few weeks ago the Labour Court emphasised that EI should introduce this as fast as possible. Once again EI won't be able to do this, again thumbing their noses at the Labour Court.

There are others, which are too numerous to mention here. All that said the unions are not fully without blame. Strike action is a blunt instrument and should not be used and I would agree with both BrianDromey and Shamrock604 about their views of not booking with EI. It p***es me off when the words Strike and Aer Lingus are mentioned on the news in the same article. Mind you the news is always where EI staff hear what is happening in the company, which I believe is highly disrespectful. There are people in our Human Resources Dept who should not be there, but they are and industrial relations will always be fraught while they are in situ.

EI needs a strong management team and currently that seems to be lacking. The recently announced reshuffle was just moving the same people around, not what one would call dynamic by any stretch of the imagination. EI need a team in charge who believe in EI and its people and who want to see it succeed by bringing people with them.

Rant over, I'm getting off the soapbox now

BrianDromey

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:30 pm

Quoting EI350 (Reply 38):
But I understand the sentimental value of such an airport

This is the problem SNN has. Semental. In this day and age what room is there for sentamentality? Either an airport has enough traffic to keep it viable or it does not. Either an airport keeps up with the times, or it falls behind. At the minute SNN is hardly optimised for LCC operations (airbridges, etc), and it has fallen too far behind to attract a scissors operation from any decent carrier.

Brian.
Next flights: MAN-ORK-LHR(EI)-MAN(BD); MAN-LHR(BD)-ORK (EI); DUB-ZRH-LAX (LX) LAX-YYZ (AC) YYZ-YHZ-LHR(AC)-DUB(BD)

shamrock604

Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:26 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 34):
Regarding Pier D, it looks so incredibly boring, and mundane.

Yes, it is quite mundane, and it could do with brightening up, but there is lovely feeling of calm in the place, due to the spaciousness. It reminds a little of the newer parts of CDG (T2F and T2E). It could also do with some more retail outlets.. not too many though, no-one wants good seating space taken away!!

tonymctigue

Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:54 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 43):
This is the problem SNN has. Semental. In this day and age what room is there for sentamentality? Either an airport has enough traffic to keep it viable or it does not. Either an airport keeps up with the times, or it falls behind. At the minute SNN is hardly optimised for LCC operations (airbridges, etc), and it has fallen too far behind to attract a scissors operation from any decent carrier.

Yes Brian, I do agree with you & in order to get SNN to catch up, it will take some really imaginative people to come up with creative solutions to the problems facing the airport. I firmly believe though, that it could be done if the will & the talent were present & I feel that SNN could handle a sustainable 2-3 million passengers per year & in the context of its catchement, that is not bad. It is funny, all the discussion we have about competition at DUB but when you think about it, there is fierce competition in the West with KIR, SNN, GWY, NOC & one could even include ORK all fighting over the same small patch but DUB has something like 1.3 million people totally to itself.

B747forever

Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:24 am

Summer in Stockholm is pure perfect - who needs Malaga, when you have wonderful islands, warm evenings, and cold beer.

That is true. Stockholm is a really great city.

Nothing more confusing than leaving a night club at 1am and it still being bright though!

I really love the bright nights. But sometimes they can be confusing.
Work Hard, Fly Right

shamrock604

Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:31 am

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 45):
there is fierce competition in the West with KIR, SNN, GWY, NOC & one could even include ORK all fighting over the same small patch but DUB has something like 1.3 million people totally to itself.

And that's the big problem with so called "irish airport policy". Every other airport is so small that it can never compete with DUB...

Ideally, one airport between ORK and SNN, with good Motorway links and rail links to all parts of Munster would be much more preferable than SNN,ORK,KIR and WAT all fighting over the same business. Critical Mass is achieved, and then a better range of flights. Same goes for the west of the country.

Will it happen in my lifetime? Not a chance!

OA260

Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:14 am

Nuacht !!!
---------------

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...orts-space-age-pier-d-1217746.html

Dublin Airport's space age Pier D

Finally some room at Dublin Airport as Pier D is launched
By Laura Noonan
Tuesday November 13 2007

This is the gleaming, futuristic sight that will greet the 10 million passengers set to pass through Dublin's Airport's new Pier D in the next year.

Travellers destined for the new pier will be whisked there by a sleek-looking 'skybridge' complete with travelators. Their various departure and arrival needs will be catered for by state-of-the-art facilities.

It was smiles all round at Dublin Airport yesterday as the €120m wonder of architecture that is Pier D was formally unveiled.

Dublin Airport Authority chairman Gary McGann told the assembled crowd that the project was "on time and on budget".

Taoiseach Bertie Ahern, also made an appearance for the formal unveiling.

Both men went on to stress that Pier D was just the first phase in a much larger plan, with the DAA on target to spend more than €1m a day next year.

"This is a state-of-the-art facility, up to the best of international standards," said Mr Ahern.

He added that the views, in particular, were "spectacular".

Mr McGann admitted that the pier would handle less than half of Dublin Airport's annual passengers, currently running at about 23 million. Even those who were accommodated in Pier D for landing or take-off would still have to trek through parts of the often-congested main airport.

"The quality of what we've developed here in comparison with the temporary situation is a massive improvement," he said. "People will see evidence that at least the end is near.

"For all the other passengers (who won't use Pier D), we have to go as fast as we can go and as fast as planning is allowing us to go to move on all the other infrastructure," he said.

The next major piece of infrastructure is the airport's second terminal, due to be opened in 2010.

Our picture of the new pier is by Irish Independent photographer Frank McGrath.

- Laura Noonan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Air passengers face chaos as SIPTU warns of strike

MORE than 30,000 Aer Lingus passengers are facing travel chaos next week, after the country's largest trade union served strike notice on the embattled airline.

SIPTU is now planning rolling four-hour stoppages across Aer Lingus operations next Tuesday and Friday, in response to the company's aggressive charge to push through €20m worth of annual cost cuts.

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...siptu-warns-of-strike-1217747.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ryanair could face action on ticket sales

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/finance/2007/1113/1194550199112.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

B747forever

Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:48 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 48):
MORE than 30,000 Aer Lingus passengers are facing travel chaos next week,

This not good. 30.000 pax are really much.

I haven't seen any pics of the pier D that everyone says is a magnificent building. Does anyone of you have pics to share??
Work Hard, Fly Right