FFlyer
Topic Author

Finnair Long-haul Punctuality Less Than 50%?

Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:37 pm

A Finnish friend of mine who follows Finnish forums says that Finnair long-haul flights are frequently delayed for several hours, and in fact the punctuality is less than 50%, with delayes averaging 2 hours. Is this true, and what gives? Just one example being today's HEL-JFK, which was said to have left 4 hours later than scheduled.

Is a 40-50% on-time figure for a European carrier typical, and are those figures (including the average delayus) available somewhere to be seen?

killjoy

RE: Finnair Long-haul Punctuality Less Than 50%?

Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:48 pm

Their punctuality has suffered a bit, probably due to growth pains, but certainly not that much. I was only able to find an on time statistic for the whole fleet (84%), but long haul flights can't be as different as you've described.

I think a lot of people are shocked by the raw number of delays, forgetting how quickly the widebody fleet has grown. This may cloud their judgment if they're intensely following every little thing that happens.

B747forever

Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:05 pm

Quoting FFlyer (Thread starter):
and in fact the punctuality is less than 50%, with delayes averaging 2 hours

Wow, that sounds really much. I think it is to much to be true.
Work Hard, Fly Right

FFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:42 am

84% for the whole is not bad, relatively. Was if from last year, or from last month? But has the trend been downwards, as I understood from my friend?

HEL-JFK is late again today. Will it be 3 1/2 hours as it was yesterday...

EFHK

Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:52 am

Quoting FFlyer (Thread starter):
in fact the punctuality is less than 50%, with delayes averaging 2 hours.

Might be true, but

1. Most of the flights are just only a little over 15 minutes late, delays more than one hour are not that common.
2. The average delay is that long probably because a small number of flights being several hours delayed which add the delay minutes while most have only small delays.

Quoting FFlyer (Reply 3):
HEL-JFK is late again today.

It's departing on time from Helsinki.  Confused

[Edited 2007-11-14 03:54:00]
One of the best places in the world: McDonald's in T2 at FRA.

HB-IWC

Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:00 pm

http://files.aea.be/RIG/SerQlty/Consumer/DL/CR07-Q3.pdf

According to data of the Association of European Airlines, Finnair's longhaul flights had an on time departure rate of 63.1% during Q3/2007, which is indeed below average. Unlike AF and BA, which are suffering from ground delays at their respective homebases, AY's weak performance is almost entirely cause of a relatively overstretched widebody fleet of relatively small size with little operational spare capacity.

EFHK

Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:17 pm

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 5):
Unlike AF and BA, which are suffering from ground delays at their respective homebases, AY's weak performance is almost entirely cause of a relatively overstretched widebody fleet of relatively small size with little operational spare capacity.

Not entirely true. For example this summer long-haul flights had to be delayed often due to problems with baggage loading in Helsinki and also some of the delays are due to waiting for passengers coming from delayed connecting flights from Europe.

seabosdca

Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:00 pm

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 5):
AY's weak performance is almost entirely cause of a relatively overstretched widebody fleet of relatively small size with little operational spare capacity.

...partly made up of very unreliable MD-11s. Do you have numbers on MD-11 vs. A340-300 dispatch rates? Having so many MD-11s can't be helping AY at all.

teme82

Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:47 pm

I think that AY has the tightest MD-11 rotation so no wonder that those old planes haves issues.  duck 
Flying high and low

Finnaviation

Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:51 pm

HEL-JFK is late again today. Will it be 3 1/2 hours as it was yesterday...

Yeah, seems to be two (2) minutes late. AY5 estimated arrival time @ JFK 15:57.

killjoy

Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:27 pm

Quoting Seabosdca (Reply 7):
...partly made up of very unreliable MD-11s. Do you have numbers on MD-11 vs. A340-300 dispatch rates? Having so many MD-11s can't be helping AY at all.

I don't think it's fair to call them unreliable. As mentioned, the rotation is extremely tight. In fact, I recall them bragging about it.

84% for the whole is not bad, relatively. Was if from last year, or from last month? But has the trend been downwards, as I understood from my friend?

Last month. The trend has been downwards, but I don't think it can continue, because at some point they'll just hit a wall and have to stop expanding. Demand to Asia was 40% higher last month than for the same period last year, by the way. The growth is becoming very unhealthy.

The lack of aircraft will likely continue until the A350 is delivered, but we can also expect more general congestion until the new terminal extension is finished in 2009. Unfortunately I don't believe the problem will be solved completely until a new terminal is built.

seabosdca

Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:39 pm

Quoting Teme82 (Reply 8):
I think that AY has the tightest MD-11 rotation so no wonder that those old planes haves issues.  

KL's MD-11 rotation is pretty insane as well. It's a little strange that the two largest remaining MD-11 pax operators are also two of the airlines most notorious for scheduling very, very high utilization rates. The MD-11 was never an extremely reliable aircraft. I don't know anything about AY's dispatch rates, but the MD-11 is by far the worst mx hog in KL's widebody fleet.

EFHK

Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:42 pm

Quoting Seabosdca (Reply 7):
Do you have numbers on MD-11 vs. A340-300 dispatch rates? Having so many MD-11s can't be helping AY at all.

I don't have exact numbers, but AY's three A343's have already caused many cancellations and delays. I'd say they're equally reliable.

And as a side note, AY's technical division has probably the most knowledge and experience of the MD-11 in the world (their own words), and that is helping AY!

FFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:01 pm

Just to update this with some recent experiences:

There happened to be somebody whom I know on board the JFK flight (two weeks ago) I mentioned in the first post, and now another guy, a good friend of the first guy, left for HEL last night on AY6....which was delayed for three hours. Obviously due to a late arrival of the incoming flight. I also heard from these guys that there has been at least two cancelled Finnair Asia flights within the last seven days.

Does not sound like a very reliable operation to me.

B747forever

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:10 pm

Quoting FFlyer (Reply 13):

Wow, it seems that AY has a really bad on-time performance on their long-haul service.
Work Hard, Fly Right

Finnaviation

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:14 pm

Quoting FFlyer (Reply 13):
also heard from these guys that there has been at least two cancelled Finnair Asia flights within the last seven days.

What is this big deal with AY cancellations?
Yes, there was on Saturday flight to BKK and on Saturday flight to PEK cancelled due the engine problems with OH-LGG.

How about US airlines cancelling their long hauls? Is it an big deal in US?

FFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:18 pm

Quoting Finnaviation (Reply 15):
What is this big deal with AY cancellations?
Yes, there was on Saturday flight to BKK and on Saturday flight to PEK cancelled due the engine problems with OH-LGG.

How about US airlines cancelling their long hauls? Is it an big deal in US?

Well, I would assume that that the Finnair cancellations make a bigger percentage of their long haul operations than those of some bigger airlines. For me....I just happen to know people who are reporting those to me. No such contact to other airlines.

killjoy

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:21 pm

Look, while it's true that they're not as punctual as they used to due to reasons outlined above, this anecdotal evidence is painting a way too bleak picture.

Especially since the main reason behind increasing cancellations and delays is their amazing growth. They know what they're doing, but business conditions are rarely ideal even when you're expanding.

Finnaviation

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:25 pm

Ok, please check also airlines like SK or LH. They do have also cancellations with their longhauls.
SK973 CPH-BKK is very often cancelled or moved to the next morning.

Here in Finland these AYs cancellations are not so big deal, all pax was moved to another airlines or they had next AY flight to their destinations.

And yesterdays HEL-JFK AY5 had a stop at KEF. Reason for this is not known. So it was late on arrival @ JFK.

FFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:36 pm

Yes, I understand. But the reasons behind it (growth?), or the cancellations of other airlines don't change the fact the Finnair's long haul operations have not been very reliable (lately) at all.

killjoy

Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:10 pm

Quoting Finnaviation (Reply 18):

Here in Finland these AYs cancellations are not so big deal, all pax was moved to another airlines or they had next AY flight to their destinations.

Actually, I'd say some Finnish people are more prone to exaggerating the issues. I'm not denying that there's a small problem, but like I said before, people seem to be used to the number of delays caused by a fleet of four widebodies, and then get surprised when something is almost always wrong with a larger fleet.

And then you get the morons who start ranting (at the airport) about how AY ruined their holiday because they'll be arriving in Bangkok in the evening instead of the afternoon. People never change Big grin

jlarsson

Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:16 pm

I spoke just last week with a check in agent at CPH, handling Finnairs flight. He had absolutely nothing good to say about Finnair. They are always delayed in and out of CPH, and a lot of business passengers are used to many delays for several hours or cancled flights. They only fly Finnair because they practically give you money to fly with them. I'd much rather fly SK and *A.  box 
Next trip; ARN-FRA-YYC-YVR-SEA-ORD-BOS-MUC-GOT.

okay

Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:50 pm

Quoting Jlarsson (Reply 21):

Press Release

17 Oct 2007

Finnair Wins Danish Travel Award

Finnair scooped top prize in the Best European Airline category in the Danish Travel Awards, in Copenhagen.

"We are really proud and delighted at this award," says Finnair Sales Director in Denmark, Sari Fairchild. "It's concrete proof that we are offering a high quality product and service concept in an extremely competitive market.

"This success confirms that Finnair's overall package with the fastest connections to Asia through Helsinki has been working," says Sari Fairchild. "It's the first time we have won such an award here in Denmark and in doing so we have overtaken some major airlines. The Danish market is highly discerning and quality-conscious, and we are very happy that we have earned their confidence."

Finnair has increased its flight schedules to Asia significantly in the last six years from nine weekly departures to 59.

Finnair Plc
Communications

For more information http://www.standby.dk/4435.0.html?&t...i1[showUid]=25692&cHash=f026204382

Rest of the Nordics seem to love AY, a lot of them fly with them! Not SK... Big grin

Regards, okAY

EFHK

Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:51 pm

I just spoke to a friend of mine who has frequently flown SK. He had absolutely nothing good to say about SAS. His flights got always cancelled due to various strikes and groundings of the fleet because of maintenance and safety issues. He only flies SAS because the CEO of his company is the SAS CEO's lover and that is the only way SK gets any passengers these days.

I'd much rather fly AY and oneworld, who get me there where I need to go on time.  box 

killjoy

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:02 pm

I spoke just last week with a check in agent at CPH, handling Finnairs flight. He had absolutely nothing good to say about Finnair. They are always delayed in and out of CPH, and a lot of business passengers are used to many delays for several hours or cancled flights. They only fly Finnair because they practically give you money to fly with them. I'd much rather fly SK and *A.

Very interesting opinion given that their on time arrival percentages are almost identical. 85.4 and 75.1 for Finnair short and long haul flights in Q2, while SAS' are 81.7 and 74.3. Finnair seemed to have some extra trouble in Q3, but let's not go too far into the year or we'll have to start talking about the Q400.

I found this report: http://files.aea.be/RIG/SerQlty/Consumer/DL/CR07-Q2.pdf

UpperDeck79

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:07 pm

They are always delayed in and out of CPH

You know that's not true. Btw, just last week I missed my CPH-HEL flight since my arriving OK fight PRG-CPH was late and AY left right on time.  Wink
AY and ANA rock!

brissedk

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:11 pm

Quoting EFHK (Reply 23):
He only flies SAS because the CEO of his company is the SAS CEO's lover and that is the only way SK gets any passengers these days.

Wow, that is what I call a dedicated CEO! How many lovers does he have then?  Silly

All carriers see their fair share of delays and cancellations. Both AY and SK have some old birds in their fleet (and on their planes Big grin) and they occasionally break down. We, as passengers, just have to deal with it. I fly every week on a variety of carriers and the delays I see are more related to the airports I fly to, then the carriers I fly on.

Regards,
BJ
Frequent flyer based in CPH - mostly heading to: OSL, HEL, KEF, FAE and EWR

Tristarsteve

Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:17 pm

Quoting Killjoy (Reply 24):
I found this report: http://files.aea.be/RIG/SerQlty/Cons...2.pdf

Be careful which figures you use.
I was reading this and thought wow this is good, but then I noticed that delays under 15mins do not count,.
At our airline all delays count, so our figures are much worse than this.

killjoy

Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:36 pm

It's standard practice to draw the line at 15 minutes as far as I know. Besides, all the figures were from the same report, so they're comparable in any case.

FFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:14 am

Yesterday's Finnair flight to Bangkok was delayed for seven (7!) hours, and today's Delhi flight has been cancelled. These seem to happen every single day.

LordHowe

Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:20 am

Quoting Killjoy (Reply 24):
I found this report: http://files.aea.be/RIG/SerQlty/Cons...2.pdf

I have always wondered if the cancelled flights are also counted into this kind of statistics ...

Yesterday evening AY51 (OH-LGD) to PEK left two hours late. LGG heading as AY95 to BKK left the gate, but had to return back - finally left again, now seven hours late. And now today's AY21 is cancelled.

LGG was also the one that caused the two Asian cancellations last week.

Regards,
LordHowe
Lord Howe Island - The Last Paradise

PHKLM

Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:42 am

Quoting LordHowe (Reply 30):
Yesterday evening AY51 (OH-LGD) to PEK left two hours late.

They've managed to reduce this delay to 40 minutes on the return trip (i.e. it is scheduled to arrive back in HEL 40 minutes later than planned).

EFHK

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:30 pm

Quoting LordHowe (Reply 30):
And now today's AY21 is cancelled.

That is to avoid the evening's BKK or PEK to be delayed due to the late arrival of OH-LGG from BKK.

This past week has been the worst for MD-11 operations this year, at least.

LordHowe

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:47 pm

Quoting EFHK (Reply 32):
That is to avoid the evening's BKK or PEK to be delayed due to the late arrival of OH-LGG from BKK.

Quite understandable! At least there have been more rotation to the original plan of rotation. Let's hope that everything will be going better now that the other daily BKK flight also starts on Monday. There are quite many people every week flying to Thailand these days - with daily MD11 and lots of 757's doing the leisure flights.

Regards,
LordHowe

FlyingAY

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:57 pm

I spoke just last week with a check in agent at CPH, handling Finnairs flight. He had absolutely nothing good to say about Finnair. They are always delayed in and out of CPH

I fly regularly between CPH and HEL (last time yesterday both ways) and I always choose Finnair, because they are on time most of the time - I really don't understand the claim that the HEL-CPH leg would have a lot of delays. Even the flights on the new Embraers (yesterday it was A321 both ways though) have been on time, although I know AY has had some issues with those. I've had my share of SK delays on this leg and KF cancellations on early morning flights.

I definitely do not agree with your sentence "They are always delayed in and out of CPH".

FFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:47 pm

Finnair's JFK seems to be only one hour late today, so there is some improvement!

teme82

Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:25 pm

Quoting FFlyer (Reply 35):

PEK flight new info at 10.00 pm... but that is because the BKK was yesterday 7 hours late.
Flying high and low

FFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:36 pm

Quoting Teme82 (Reply 36):
PEK flight new info at 10.00 pm... but that is because the BKK was yesterday 7 hours late

Wasn't the plane from the cancelled Delhi flight supposed to replace the plane on this flight? I mean, it was cancelled to prevent further delays. Maybe I'm mixing the flights and planes...

teme82

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:19 pm

Quoting FFlyer (Reply 37):

Wasn't the plane from the cancelled Delhi flight supposed to replace the plane on this flight? I mean, it was cancelled to prevent further delays. Maybe I'm mixing the flights and planes...

Nope, it replaced today's BKK flight if I'm not mistaken.
Flying high and low

Finnaviation

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:33 pm

Quoting Teme82 (Reply 36):
PEK flight new info at 10.00 pm... but that is because the BKK was yesterday 7 hours late.

Delay of PEK has nothing to do with late arrival of AY96 BKK.

LordHowe

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:20 pm

Quoting Finnaviation (Reply 39):

Everything has to do with everything - concerning AYs MD11 fleet.

Delhi flight AY21 was cancelled today because of (AY95) BKK flight's problems yesterday (leaving 7 hours late). But now it seems that at that stage they already knew that there is something wrong also with another MD11 - which is now having hundreds of people waiting at HEL for AY to get them to PEK. AY51 (once again) was supposed to give "new info at" 22.00 - and now "new info at" 23.00. The departure time of this flight is 19.55.

I wonder if they now have to wait for the poor AY96 to return home from BKK - ETA 00.45 - so that that aircraft then can take all these people to PEK ...

Regards,
LordHowe

bennett123

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:43 pm

As Teme82 said they only have a small fleet of A340 and MD11 trying to fly too many routes.

The other problem is that spare A340/MD11 elsewhere are limited.

teme82

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:51 pm

Quoting Finnaviation (Reply 39):

OH-LGG is the plane so you are correct. He had some issues earlier with engines so it looks like they got it sorted somehow...
Flying high and low

bennett123

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:25 pm

Which is the ex VARIG bird, no surprise.

PHKLM

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:57 pm

Quoting Teme82 (Reply 42):
OH-LGG is the plane so you are correct. He had some issues earlier with engines so it looks like they got it sorted somehow...

Well, not quite. ETD is now 00h50 Finnish time.

Tomorrows Delhi flight (AY22) is again Cancelled, and tomorrows AY52 is obviously foreseen to be delayed (despite a ETA of 14h20 Finnish time).
Finnairs long-haul ops are a mess and I hope they get their act together or loose a lot money and get some regret about what they are doing because this is not what people deserve. It's not an isolated problem that happens a single day, but it happens days in a row an Finnair is just presenting the customer the bill of its own problems. Bragging about the M11 is stupid anyway because it is flying junk, Finnair is proving it themselves. High utilization rates look good on paper but you get presented the bill once things go wrong. And I don't want to only flame AY, look at my beloved KLM - they made the same stupid mistake with scheduling the M11 for so many hours, its causing them a lot of pain. Fortunately for KLM they have more metal hanging around than AY so they can fix a little here and there if needed.

[Edited 2007-11-29 14:01:58]

[Edited 2007-11-29 14:14:15]

teme82

Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:09 pm

Quoting PHKLM (Reply 44):
Well, not quite. ETD is now 00h50 Finnish time.

Yeah I bet they leave around 03:00 am.  Sad

Fortunately for KLM they have more metal hanging around than AY so they can fix a little here and there if needed.

Yeah AY don't have the metal hanging around so delays are reality and cancellations. I do hope they can speed up the A330 delivers since it sure looks like they need them fast.
Flying high and low

Finnaviation

Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:12 am

Tomorrows Delhi flight (AY22) is again Cancelled

Yes, if AY21 HEL-DEL was candelled so is todays AY22 DEL-HEL.

VC10DC10

Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:37 am

Quoting Teme82 (Reply 8):
I think that AY has the tightest MD-11 rotation so no wonder that those old planes haves issues

Lots of longhaul aircraft in lots of very good airlines are older than AY's MD-11s. I think the burden of proof is on those who claim that MD-11s are unreliable. Sure, they had teething problems -- but I suspect that the Finns, of all people, would have that sorted by now.

These threads come up all the time: some airline that has a smallish longhaul operation cancels a flight or delays it, and A.netters go on for days about how horrible their reliability is, how terrible their maintenance is, how their fleet and route planners should be fired, how the CEO should be shot for seeking to make the company produce a profit, how their main longhaul aircraft type is crap, et cetera. It happens for EI, too. It's unfair and very poorly reasoned.

PHKLM

Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:55 am

Quoting VC10DC10 (Reply 47):
It's unfair and very poorly reasoned.

Now wait a minute VC10DC10. I think Finnair is a very professional airline and I am sure there is nothing wrong with their MX department. The strategy behind the company is sound, they have found a very nice niche market. The fact that Finnair chooses to cancel or delay a lot of flights is a proof they have a culture where they say: safety first, otherwise we don't go. So, I am not seeking to just simply flame Finnair, as you suggest.

But, when you have a small fleet that partly consists of the M11, you have to ask yourself how wise it is to schedule so many hours for these frames. The M11 proves to be a very difficult plane to operate. The best evidence I can give is the fact that only 3 major carriers still use the plane, JJ, KL and AY.
I have no clue about JJ, but KL also is faced with a lot of issues with the M11; they young planes kept in good shape but still they often go MX.

Finnair clearly tries to capitalize a market niche they have found, and as said, this is sound business strategy. However, they are risking a lot. These irregularities do a lot of harm to the bottom line. Finnair is a hub-spoke carrier that mainly relies on connecting traffic on its Asian routes. With the excessive delays feeder flights are being missed, forcing pax to stay in hotels and re booking them on later feeder flights. In a worst case scenario you have pax scheduled to arrive before the latest short-haul departure bank, say around 7PM. Pax arrive in HEL around 11PM so they have to stay in hotels. The next morning you have to put them on the earliest flights out, but chances are these aren't the flights with the lightest loads so you might run into trouble there as well. In short, a minor issue (e.g. only 1 M11 is MX for 5 hours) ripples thru the entire network for two days in a row at least.

VC10DC10

Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:09 am

PHKLM,

You're right, I went too far with my language, and I apologize. My main complaint is with criticizing airlines for, in effect, simply being too small -- not having the metal to have spare frames in case something goes mx.

I also admire Finnair's business strategy, and I have to admit that I like MD-11s, even if they tend to be less reliable than they ought to be. You're right that the root of Finnair's problem is the heavy utilization combined with hub-and-spoke flights; if they had more frames available as maintenance spares and the like, the problem would be minimized. I wish the best of luck to you and to Finnair. In Finnair's case, I hope they get their problems sorted -- and let's not forget, problems -- like blessings -- can run in packs; let's hope their current problems decline soon.