albird87

Why No AA Logo Light At Night?

Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:16 pm

Recently i have seen that AA dont seem to have their logo lit up at night time anymore....

Is this due to cost savings or is there another reason behind this???
Everytime i drive past my airport and the late AA flight comes in for the night, they seem to have the logo light off soo its hard to recognise the airline.

wilco737

RE: Why No AA Logo Light At Night?

Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:20 pm

Quoting Albird87 (Thread starter):
Everytime i drive past my airport and the late AA flight comes in for the night, they seem to have the logo light off soo its hard to recognise the airline.

If the aircrafts are too loud on approach the people who live near the airport cannot recognize the airline anymore. So they cannot complain anymore Big grin

No, I don't know the reason...  Wink

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

AAR90

Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:26 pm

Money... money... money. In my 20 years with AA, we have deactivated Logo Lights three times. All to save the cost (parts, time & labor) to maintain the systems. Marketing Dept. wants them, Maint. Dept. does not.
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

peteinmiami

Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:47 pm

They are cheap!!!! No other reason!

JJMNGR

Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:50 pm

I know a different story...my wife worked for AA and told me it is for security reasons. Not to call attention that AA on on approach or on the ground.

loggat

Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:52 pm

Delta did it last year as a sign of pilot solidarity.
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't.

AAR90

Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:30 pm

Quoting JJMNGR (Reply 4):
I know a different story...my wife worked for AA and told me it is for security reasons. Not to call attention that AA on on approach or on the ground.

Nice thought, but everytime we've disabled the Logo Lights, it was fleet-wide --not just international, transcons, or higher threat airports. And all three times the official stated reason was "maintenance cost savings." IF your wife were correct, there would have been no need to spend the $$$ physically disabling the systems. Simply make it a checklist item and the pilots would turn off the switch. whistleblower 

peteinmiami

Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:47 pm

That is just a legend! The truth is AA had their tail light off long time before Sept 11 and they even do it at every single airport in the US. The idea behind that is to save on the cost of the bulbs replacements, same as they removed pillows from domestic flights , etc, etc. It is just an economical decision, nothing to do with security!!

SPREE34

Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:51 pm

Like the bad guys would give a turd which logo was on the target? They only shoot at night?

I'll go with the money reason, and ask why they don't keep them on for added collision avoidance. Use the newer LED type lights. Expensive up front, but last 100K hours.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

EXAAUADL

Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:56 pm

AA is notorious for these little things to save money..someone probably came up with it in IdeAAs in AAction

Gr8Circle

Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:00 pm

Quoting SPREE34 (Reply 8):
I'll go with the money reason, and ask why they don't keep them on for added collision avoidance

An aircraft on a collision course would usually be coming from straight ahead...how would the illuminated tail help....?

OB1504

Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:06 pm

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 10):
An aircraft on a collision course would usually be coming from straight ahead...how would the illuminated tail help....?

Not necessarily. When Bashkirian Airlines 2397 and DHL 611 collided over Germany in 2002, they were flying perpendicular to each other:

[Edited 2007-11-14 14:10:09]

LMP737

Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:14 pm

For the short time they were operational on the 737 they were somewhat of a pain. They usually went bad when the weather was poor. Fun having to get a ladder to change it when it's windy.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

luv2cattlecall

Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:17 pm

I know when my folks first moved into Newport News, the way they found out about FL flying there was because the tail was litup with the A logo on it... and considering the amount of last minute biz class tickets they've bought, I'm sure it made up for the cost of a few bulbs. I know it's a different story with AA being the biggest airline and all, but it's the little things that reinforce the brand image - otherwise you'd never see a coke/Pepsi ad on TV, it's not like anyone's not heard of those...

Just out of curiosity, do they print their logo on their trashbags? I know WN stopped doing that a while ago to save $$. Also, is that true, about the pillows being gone? Pillows, blankets, a/c, and heat...the easiest ways to ensure people aren't pissy!

SPREE34

Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:30 pm

An aircraft on a collision course would usually be coming from straight ahead..

Ahh......no. Go read some reports. Every imaginable angle.

xjet

Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:14 am

This is usually something that is done during labor negotiations. Whoever said it was a sign of pilot solidarity had it right.

peteinmiami

Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:08 am

Quoting XJET (Reply 15):
This is usually something that is done during labor negotiations. Whoever said it was a sign of pilot solidarity had it right.

well that is ture in the case of DL, while for AA is company policy to cut cost, nothing to do with pilots solidarity or unions or terrorist avoidance measures

flybyguy

Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:23 am

Quoting Peteinmiami (Reply 3):
They are cheap!!!! No other reason!

You can say THAT again bro! AA is the vanguard of the skinflint airlines. Talk about bare bones at top dollar.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

OzarkD9S

Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:53 am

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 17):

You can say THAT again bro! AA is the vanguard of the skinflint airlines. Talk about bare bones at top dollar.

Say what you want, but they've still managed to stay out of Chap 11 thus far. Although with AA's debt burden, if they filed BK at midnight tonight I wouldn't be surprised.
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

_AA_777_MAN

Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:57 am

The bulbs have been taken out to save money. U cant replace something thats not there to replace.

albird87

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:12 am

Cheers for the info guys..... Seems like AA will do anything tho for a buck or two to save!!

I have to say that a logo is normally a good way to advertise an airline and adds style IMO.
I would of thought that AA could of saved a buck or two in other places maybe rather than with a couple of bulbs!!

Out of interest then.... how long do these bulbs last then?? Would of thought they would be pretty long life!

commavia

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:22 am

Quoting Albird87 (Reply 20):
Cheers for the info guys..... Seems like AA will do anything tho for a buck or two to save!!

Yeah, as others have said, it's a cheapness thing, like so much else with AA.

I have to say that a logo is normally a good way to advertise an airline and adds style IMO.

True, but I guess AA feels that people already know who they are. I don't know. Besides, with all the head-turning and attention their shiny bare-metal gets in the sunlight, I guess they feel that compensates for the lost publicity from now logo lights at night!  Smile

I would of thought that AA could of saved a buck or two in other places maybe rather than with a couple of bulbs!!

Remember, this is the airline that famously saved almost $200,000 per year by removing a single olive from the First Class salads. They'll do anything to save a few bucks, but I must say, in the long-run, it's done well for them.

AA is basically the 80-year-old, retired Fort Lauderdale couple of the airline world. Just "frugal," not "cheap." Right.  Smile

wjcandee

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:30 am

TWA invented them, and used them until the AA purchase. After that, to save $$, AA deactivated them.

2H4

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:32 am

One of the most important times to be visible is during ground operations. Given the threat of runway incursions, I'd just assume everyone (myself included) be lit up like Vegas. Especially in weather or at night.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

YWG

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:08 am

Not necessarily. When Bashkirian Airlines 2397 and DHL 611 collided over Germany in 2002, they were flying perpendicular to each other:

A logo light really shouldn't play any huge collision avoidance role!
-if you're blind enough to miss two massive strobe lights in the night sky
-and the nav lights draw no attention...
-not to mention the various warnings and solutions issued by TCAS (assuming ATC is out to lunch)

-->Then you shouldn't be flying an airliner!!
Contact Winnipeg center now on 134.4, good day.

ha763

Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:47 am

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 11):
When Bashkirian Airlines 2397 and DHL 611 collided over Germany in 2002, they were flying perpendicular to each other:

Quoting YWG (Reply 24):
A logo light really shouldn't play any huge collision avoidance role!

It doesn't at cruise altitude. The logo light would have been turned off by then.

luv2cattlecall

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:32 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 21):
Remember, this is the airline that famously saved almost $200,000 per year by removing a single olive from the First Class salads.

$40,000. Read the story about replacing a guard with a dog and the dog with a recording of a dog...the read the story about WN stealing flap parts from other airlines in their early days. Goes to show that there is such a thing as being too cheap!

AAR90

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:52 am

Quoting XJET (Reply 15):

the entire system was deactivated on AA planes about 8 years ago. I couldn't turn it on if I wanted to --which personally, I would do... if I could.

I have to say that a logo is normally a good way to advertise an airline and adds style IMO.I would of thought that AA could of saved a buck or two in other places maybe rather than with a couple of bulbs!!

My suspicion is that you would need to provide financial numbers to back up your "advertising is worth it" position. Otherwise, it is just an expense with no justifiable benefit (sad, but true in the bean-counter's world). Cost to maintain the system isn't just the parts. Its the time and labor to repair something of questionable value (see previous sentence). Come up with verifiable revenue increases due to use of Logo Lights and I'm sure AA management would revisit the issue (remember, this is the third time AA has disabled Logo Lights in my 20 year career, so they're not afraid to change their mind).

Quoting Commavia (Reply 21):
Remember, this is the airline that famously saved almost $200,000 per year by removing a single olive from the First Class salads. They'll do anything to save a few bucks, but I must say, in the long-run, it's done well for them.

$40,000/year is the correct number. $24,000/year removing the extra FC spoon. Add 'em up and these little things soon become big numbers (don't like it, but I understand it).

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 23):
Given the threat of runway incursions, I'd just assume everyone (myself included) be lit up like Vegas

Logo Lights are of limited safety value even on the ground. If I want to be seen, I've got LANDING lights, TURNOFF lights, WING ILLUMINATION lights in addition to the standard NAVIGATION lights, red "rotating" BECON and white STROBE lights.

AlexPorter

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:12 am

Why don't they just use the default bulbs until they burn out? I know that most of the fleet's bulbs would be gone by now, but surely on some 737s and 777s the default ones would still be working, right? Or do they really not last very long?
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

wcs

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:23 am

Hi,

They told us during the base tour in Kansas City this summer they save quite a lot « thanks » to that. No maintenance, some weight saving as the whole system is removed and plugged and of course no spare part to put on in case of failure. Not very sexy, I do agree, but accountants on duty, I figure … Sad, but true …

Raphael
FLY SKYTEAM JETS

Stickers

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:30 am

Quoting SPREE34 (Reply 8):
Like the bad guys would give a turd which logo was on the target? They only shoot at night?

laughing  Spot on!
Also they tend to do enough research.

Anyhow, perhaps a pilot can help out here, i live about 40 - 50 minutes drive north of JNB (O. R. Tambo International) so there are many flights that come over our place on the way to Europe, Middle East etc. The "Tail or logo light" is often still on even though the aircraft is now much too high for any possible identification. Are there rules as to when they turn them off or on? Do some airlines leave them on for the duration of the entire flight?  Confused

And secondly, occassionly one can see that an aircraft has some of the light systems mentioned by AAR90 still illuminated even at that altitude. (you can see the beams shining forward from the wings) Apart from being visible to other aircraft, is there any other reason that a pilot would leave these system on at such an altitude?

Stickers

flymia

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:42 am

Quoting Stickers (Reply 30):
And secondly, occassionly one can see that an aircraft has some of the light systems mentioned by AAR90 still illuminated even at that altitude. (you can see the beams shining forward from the wings) Apart from being visible to other aircraft, is there any other reason that a pilot would leave these system on at such an altitude?

Landing lights must be on below 10,000ft and I think some airlines leave landing lights on below 18,000ft. Navigation Lights, Strobe lights and beacon lights reamain on the whole flight.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Stickers

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:44 am

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 31):
FlyMIA

Thanks

theginge

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:13 am

I have heard that ATC at some airports prefer to have aircraft with Logo lights on at night as makes it easier to see who is who in the take off queue.

Bartonsayswhat

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:39 am

As a ground service guy at a small airport which doesn't have separate terminals for different airlines, and when multiple airlines are flying the same bird at the same time, it sure is nice to see what airline is comming next. Our FIDS is sketchy at best, and not often do we have an ATC radio, so there often is confusion trying to see what the airline is, until you can see the tail. If the tails were turned off, (it happens some times) we dont know whats coming at us, and AC doesn't like it when we marshal in their aircraft.

747fan

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:21 am

Quoting YWG (Reply 24):
-if you're blind enough to miss two massive strobe lights in the night sky

Not all aircraft have the wingtip strobe lights. For example, I've noticed that UPS 747 classics and DC-8's lack these strobes, although the DC-8's do have a big strobe light in the tail cone. Their old 727's didn't have them either. IIRC, aircraft weren't required to have the wingtip strobe lights until some time in the 1980's. I've also noticed many aircraft (notably the 744, A330, A340, A320 series, ERJ/CRJ) only have the strobes on the leading edge of the wingtips.

Recently i have seen that AA dont seem to have their logo lit up at night time anymore....

As others have mentioned, its due to AA wanting to save a couple bucks, which is typical of them. Also, DL, UA, WN, and UPS don't illuminate their tail logos. US, NW, CO, and FX do, as well as most other carriers worldwide. I guess the US airlines are just more "frugal"...

DL_Mech

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:38 am

Quoting AlexPorter (Reply 28):
Why don't they just use the default bulbs until they burn out?

If the system is active (not deactivated), it must be repaired within a certain timeframe according to an airlines' maintenance program.
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

iaddca

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:17 pm

no more olives to take out of the salad

plus, the Airline Pilots Association is about to petition for a new logo that incorporates the hammer and sickle

LASoctoberB6

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:21 pm

Quoting Iaddca (Reply 37):
logo that incorporates the hammer and sickle

Whats that?
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

Bohlman

Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:23 pm

Logo lights are almost always turned off in the air, the only times when it's not being when the pilot forgets. Almost all the lights are left on until a transition altitude, either 10,000ft or FL180 depending on the airline. Some airplanes have lights affixed to moving surfaces, such as leading edge flaps, and those are usually turned off quickly, because the way the devise movies (aka retract) can actually make it so that the light points straight down. No reason to keep them on.
I'm not pro-Boeing or pro-Airbus, I'm pro-crew all the way.

AlexPorter

Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:45 pm

Quoting Dl_mech (Reply 36):
If the system is active (not deactivated), it must be repaired within a certain timeframe according to an airlines' maintenance program.

Seems kind of strange - the equipment is not necessary for flight, but if present and burnt out it has to be fixed? Is there a safety concern with having a burnt-out tail logo light or is this just a "dumb law" of sorts?

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 38):
Whats that?

The Communist symbol as seen on the old Soviet Union flag. Not all Communist countries had/have that symbol on the flag (China comes to mind).
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

AirframeAS

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:03 pm

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 31):
Navigation Lights, Strobe lights and beacon lights reamain on the whole flight.

That's not necessarly true. I've been on some 737 flights that had the anti-collision (The red ones on the fuselage) light on the top of the fuse is off but the bottom one still flashing. Upon descent into a city, the anti-collision light on the top resumes flashing again. Note: This has been seen only during night flights.

Some pilots forget to turn on the wing strobe (white) lights.... WN is famous for that.

Edit: See note above.

[Edited 2007-11-15 11:04:31]
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

AAR90

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:41 pm

Are there rules as to when they turn them off or on? Do some airlines leave them on for the duration of the entire flight?

For Logo Lights... no rules. It is up the the airline. Nobody here knows how EVERY airline operates its fleet. Some may require the Logo light on at all times. Others may even have the system "hard-wired" to stay on --AA 738 "no smoking" signs for example. I still have the switch in the cockpit, it just does... nothing.  tongue 

...is there any other reason that a pilot would leave these system on at such an altitude?

Most regulations require "Landing Lights" to be on below 10k/transition altitude and some airlines (i.e. AA) require them to be on below 18k. Additionally, in areas with known bird migration pilots will keep them on to warn the birds (some planes even have flashing landing lights for exactly that reason). A pilot may also want them on just to better see how dense the moisture is. But the most common reason.... we forgot to turn them off  blockhead  (or so busy we didn't get to that part of the checklist..... yet).  zzz 

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:53 pm

Quoting AAR90 (Reply 6):
Nice thought, but everytime we've disabled the Logo Lights, it was fleet-wide --not just international, transcons, or higher threat airports. And all three times the official stated reason was "maintenance cost savings." IF your wife were correct, there would have been no need to spend the $$$ physically disabling the systems. Simply make it a checklist item and the pilots would turn off the switch.

I remember when ASA disabled theirs. It was to save on MTX costs.
What gets measured gets done.

SPREE34

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:08 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 41):
WN is famous for that

Where can I find that info? I didn't know WN was famous for this. You would thought I'd have read that in Nuts, or maybe seen it in a briefing when I was still working.

Note: This has been seen only during night flights.

And maybe after a cocktail or two? It's been a while, but last time I was in a 737 cockpit the beacon switch had two positions, OFF and ON. No Top or Bottom.

AirframeAS

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:21 pm

Quoting SPREE34 (Reply 44):
Where can I find that info? I didn't know WN was famous for this. You would thought I'd have read that in Nuts, or maybe seen it in a briefing when I was still working.

Source: Just look in the sky at night, if you see a WN 737 that has no wingtip strobes flashing but the anti-collision lights are flashing...you get my point. That's my source. No Nuts! book needed.    And oh, WN isn't the only one's forgetting to turn them on, but they forget the most.

And maybe after a cocktail or two?

Uhh, I dont drink.

It's been a while, but last time I was in a 737 cockpit the beacon switch had two positions, OFF and ON. No Top or Bottom.

No Sh*t, Sherlock!    And I've worked on 737's at AS & WN, dude.

Edit add: What I meant by top and bottom was the position on the fuselage which red anti-collision light I was referring to, dude.... not the switch. When you are inflight, you can flip the switch off, the anti-collision light on the top of the fuselage can be turned off, but the anti-collision light under the belly cannot be turned off, hence being in-flight mode and the plane knows its inflight.

[Edited 2007-11-15 12:27:31]
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

HAWK21M

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:32 pm

Could be not wanting to be identified for Security reasons depending on the Area of Operations.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

flymia

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:40 pm

That's not necessarly true. I've been on some 737 flights that had the anti-collision (The red ones on the fuselage) light on the top of the fuse is off but the bottom one still flashing. Upon descent into a city, the anti-collision light on the top resumes flashing again. Note: This has been seen only during night flights.

Some pilots forget to turn on the wing strobe (white) lights.... WN is famous for that.

Wells it is a very standard before takeoff checklist item. Just flick the switch once you are on the active, not very hard item to forget.

And for the red anti collision lights, I never knew about this feature. But since you a MX I am going to take you word for it. But the pilots still dont turn the beacon lights off which is the main point I was stating, and I guess the pilots dont control this belly light on top fuse light off thing since there is no switch for it.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

A340600

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:55 pm

AA is clearly becoming ashamed of its own identity Wink
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

LMP737

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:48 pm

In the end that's the name of the game in the airline industry.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.