Boston92
Topic Author

What Is Up With The United Logo?

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:20 am

I just noticed that the logo is not consistent at all. I am talking about the new and old liveries with the colored logo (blue and red). On the old, it is found on the tail, and on the new, it is found next to "United" on the fuselage.

Here we have the red half on the right hand side on the starboard side of the aircraft:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © John E. Jauchler

Here is the red half on the right hand side of the port side of the aircraft:

View Large View Medium

Photo © John E. Jauchler

Here is the red half on the left side of the starboard side of the aircraft:

View Large View Medium

Photo © John E. Jauchler

I'm sure there is some sort of pattern, but I can't find it...
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

mnevans

RE: What Is Up With The United Logo?

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:22 am

Quoting Boston92 (Thread starter):
I'm sure there is some sort of pattern, but I can't find it...

Could it be symmetry or symmetry + re-branding? Personally Like the new logo.

Boston92
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:30 am

After further review, it seems that on the new livery the red half is always on the right side, but on the old livery, it would change depending on which side of the aircraft????? Maybe.

I still find it odd that I have NEVER noticed this for all the years I have been flying United.
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

BreninTW

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:37 am

Look at flags on aircraft ... usually you'll find that the Stars in the US flag are on the right of the flag on one side of the A/C and on the left on the other side (thus they're always to the front or rear of the plane)*. If you removed the plane, but left the flag there, it would be consistent with a printed flag flapping in the breeze (i.e., the Stars are always adjacent to the flagpole).

I guess it's the same with the logo -- remove the aircraft, and you'll get a single logo -- not two logos that are mirror images of each other.

I hope this make sense Big grin

* I'm using the US flag as an example -- even if it doesn't appear to be painted on UA aircraft.

memphis

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:47 am

the way i see it, the longer part of the "U" is red, which is the part that curves under the smaller side of the "U" or the blue side . . .
nocturnal

ATAIndy

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:59 am

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 2):
I still find it odd that I have NEVER noticed this for all the years I have been flying United.

I don't find it odd, I don't think I would have ever noticed something as detailed as this. IMHO, its odd that Boston92 noticed it, lol.
Boiler up! - Next flights: IND-MIA, MIA-IND

Boston92
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:30 am

Quoting Brenintw (Reply 3):

That would make sense if it was consistent among all aircraft which it isn't.

LH417AF025

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:54 am

i love united, but i must say that i love how it's the 'new' logo when its been around for almost 10 years...

i have another question. when UA premiered their new int'l F/C products online they used a cursive stylized font when they wrote "united first" and "united business."

does anyone in the know, know if this is going to be the new branding in terms of type font for the new premium product?