MAH4546
Topic Author

FLL To Get Non-stop London Service

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:58 am

And the rumors were true...

http://www.miamiherald.com/business/story/308231.html

Tomorrow afternoon, Zoom is expected to announce three weekly non-stop, scheduled flights between Ft. Lauderdale and London Gatwick, beginning in May.

Great news. If this does well over the summer, I can totally see this going daily next winter.

Combined with Maxjet's likely (although delayed from the original January 2008 planned start) arrival to MIA next year, it will be for some healthy competition and five airlines in the Miami-London market.

[Edited 2007-11-15 01:01:49]
a.

shadez

RE: FLL To Get Non-stop London Service

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:05 pm

Excellent News. I think it will do pretty well.

GARUDAROD

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:26 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Thread starter):
And the rumors were true...

Gee, I wonder what rumors those were,  Big grin
It will be great to have TATL flights from FLL on a regular basis again.
This flight should do very well with current exchange rate between the pound and dollar.
Cargo doesn't whine, moan, or complain

Daleaholic

Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:31 pm

Great news for FLL. Should be quite a good moneymaker for Zoom, especially (as mentioned before) with the excellent exhange rate at the moment. I will definately be on this flight next year!  Big grin
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

JGPH1A

Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:43 pm

Zoom ? Couldn't they get a real airline ?
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

PanAm747

Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:45 pm

Is the flight timed at FLL to avoid the congestion of the international terminal? From the horror stories I've heard of all the international expansion and all of the new flights arriving at the same time, I hope Zoom avoids the worst of it!!
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

USADreamliner

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:17 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 4):

Like Kulula or Mango? Ha,ha,ha!!!

OA260

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:19 pm

Thats deffo good news for the FLL area and the cruise port . Alot of ships now out of FLL and very handy.

acelanzarote

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:20 pm

Personally I'd much prefer to fly into FLL then MIA, but with Zoom I don't know...
Never seen much good or bad about them I guess....
from the Island with sun and great photo's.. Why not visit Lanzarote

BAKJet

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:32 pm

We all know how true rumors are. It would be great if this did happen.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:33 pm

Quoting BAKJet (Reply 9):
We all know how true rumors are. It would be great if this did happen.

What rumours? It is happening. It isn't a rumour. It was a rumour, now it's been officially leaked by the Miami Herald.
a.

MaverickM11

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:35 pm

Whatever happened to Laker Airways operation between FLL and Europe in the 90s, besides obviously ending. Did they run out of money or could they not fill the planes?

Quoting Acelanzarote (Reply 8):
Personally I'd much prefer to fly into FLL then MIA

Every day the reverse becomes more and more true I think
E pur si muove -Galileo

APYu

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:36 pm

Didnt Laker try FLL back in 2000 and something or the late 90's. They didnt find the traffic for it. I wouldnt imagine it features hugely on most holidaymakers list of must go places but at least another option I suppose.

It will be interesting if its a route they keep in the winter as I can see it having decent traffic in the winter as that would fill a definate gap

Most of the Cruises use the charters from the UK so I doubt they will pick up huge amounts of traffic from that but it will give the few who choose to make their own flight arrangements another choice.

Im going to Fort Lauderdale next November but even though Zoom is more convenient I'll be with BA to Miami - till Zoom get flat beds anyways
We'd like to welcome in particular our Executive Club members and those joining us from our Oneworld alliance partners.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:46 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 11):
Whatever happened to Laker Airways operation between FLL and Europe in the 90s, besides obviously ending. Did they run out of money or could they not fill the planes?

I don't know the details exactly, but other than running out of money, they had huge issues with slots and complained about anti-competitive moves by other airlines. I'll look up some old articles on Lexis later today and post them.

Especially when one flies through the new South Concourse. Though, admittedly, flying AA at MIA is going to be a mess for the next 24-30 months while Concourse A is closed and the North Concourse construction wraps up. They are tight on gates pace and are already having to have some flight use Concourse G, which will soon be pretty empty (only Northwest, AirTran, and Gulfstream).

Quoting APYu (Reply 12):
It will be interesting if its a route they keep in the winter as I can see it having decent traffic in the winter as that would fill a definate gap

I couldn't imagine it not being kept during the winter.
a.

BAKJet

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:50 pm

Although it does sound the likely the article never says that it has been announced it says they are expected to announce.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:55 pm

Quoting BAKJet (Reply 14):
Although it does sound the likely the article never says that it has been announced it says they are expected to announce.

Indeed, it does, but they will be announcing it within the next few days. The Herald got the story leaked to them, which happens once in a while for airline announcements.
a.

BAKJet

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:59 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 15):
Indeed, it does, but they will be announcing it within the next few days. The Herald got the story leaked to them, which happens once in a while for airline announcements.

Didn't the article say it was expected to be announced today. Has it been?(not meant to be mean or sarcastic that is a real question)

BAOPS777

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:14 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Thread starter):
Tomorrow afternoon, Zoom is expected to announce three weekly non-stop, scheduled flights between Ft. Lauderdale and London Gatwick, beginning in May.

Great news just a shame it is Zoom this airline has been dogged with problems at there London base since it started ops.

Infact Customs in London say that they have yet to hear of it arrive on time. It is often delayed from 2hours to 2 days and cancelled.

Pax on there NYC service have voted with there feet.

However I have heard they plan to add 2 more 762 to the 2 in service so hopefully one will be a standby aircraft.

It is a great airline when it goes well. I wish them all the best

OA260

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:15 pm

Quoting APYu (Reply 12):
Most of the Cruises use the charters from the UK

They dont actually . The big players in the UK actually use BA/VS/AA/DL/CO . My second hobbie is cruise vacations and I have never been offered a charter flight by Royal Caribbean/Celebrity/Silversea or NCL. They have the odd charter but it wouldnt be more than 10% . I have seen the odd charter into BGI and the weekly Summer ones to PMI by First Choice but for the USA its 90% scheduled services they use.

FLLspoter

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:29 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 4):

I agree. Ocasonaly we get Thomas Cook or a FCA but that is it that goes across the pond. I mean we should get BA/VS or AA service across the pond.

Joe
FLL justs gets better and better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BAOPS777

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:44 pm

Quoting FLLspoter (Reply 19):
I agree. Ocasonaly we get Thomas Cook or a FCA but that is it that goes across the pond. I mean we should get BA/VS or AA service across the pond.

I work for BA but must say the FCA product is excellent. That is one airline that could make a huge sucess of a 5-7 x weekly service to FLL. BA won't as it offers a codeshare flight with AA ex ORD and would have to have clear evidence of a year round direct customer base. Saying that BA operates next summer 14 x week to MIA, 10x week to MCO (up from 7) and 5 x week to TPA. FLL with BA would be a good service for the BA portfolio it would probably operate ex LGW and would probably start 3 x weekly if BA where to operate it.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:50 pm

Quoting BAKJet (Reply 16):
Didn't the article say it was expected to be announced today. Has it been?(not meant to be mean or sarcastic that is a real question)

Yes, it did say that, but that's apparently not the case. The announcement will come within a few days according to Miami's ABC affiliate.

Quoting BAOPS777 (Reply 20):
Saying that BA operates next summer 14 x week to MIA, 10x week to MCO (up from 7) and 5 x week to TPA. FLL with BA would be a good service for the BA portfolio it would probably operate ex LGW and would probably start 3 x weekly if BA where to operate it.

And apparently MIA-LHR on BA will return to 17x weekly In November 2008.
a.

OB1504

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:24 pm

Especially with the current situation in Terminal 4 at FLL.

SANFan

Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:06 am

Very interesting development which I will be following very closely... The article does not speak of "definites" but seems pretty sure that something is up... Again, from my viewpoint, very interesting.

bb

RSWA330

Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:08 am

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 22):

Hasn't FLL actually seen a slight decrease in passengers?

shadez

Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:05 am

Quoting RSWA330 (Reply 24):
Hasn't FLL actually seen a slight decrease in passengers?

In 2006, yes traffic was down. But, right now traffic is booming. This year's traffic is up 5.1%, or 835,000 Passengers. 2008 is on pace to be even larger with Spirit and JetBlue significantly adding service, Allegiant will have its first full year, Southwest has added flights, as have a handful of other carriers.

DTWAGENT

Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:11 am

Ok Question...??? Where are they going to put this airline. That airport is bulging at the seams with airlines. And they have no room to expand..... I'm glad to see FLL get the LGW service. But, going thru customs must be a nighmare....

Chuck

MAH4546
Topic Author

Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:45 am

Quoting DTWAGENT (Reply 26):
Ok Question...??? Where are they going to put this airline. That airport is bulging at the seams with airlines. And they have no room to expand..... I'm glad to see FLL get the LGW service. But, going thru customs must be a nighmare....

FLL has plenty of gate space to add the airline, it's just immigration and check-in space that is a problem. Zoom will most likely have another airline handle check-in. They also have to arrive at T4, but flights might depart out of T2 or T3 which have plenty of room.
a.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:38 am

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 22):

I just read the user comments on the Zoom article. Now granted, there is a natural bias, IMO, to post negative things over positive, but very interesting (and negative) comments about FLL that are becoming the norm.
a.

APYu

Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:05 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 18):
Royal Caribbean/Celebrity/Silversea or NCL

But these are not the ones that bring the masses of UK tourists over, these are international cruise lines which have a smaller UK only market and are largely international in their catchment.

They have the odd charter but it wouldnt be more than 10% . I have seen the odd charter into BGI

Fridays and Tuesdays in the Winter have many BGI Charter departures from the UK, even from the regional bases - There are probably 6 or 7 which leave each Friday. Thomas Cook, Monarch, and TUI also have frequent San Juans, New Orleans, Miami's and Fort Lauderdales within their Winter programmes to support Cruise programmes. The P&O contract for instance is Thomas Cooks most profitable -
We'd like to welcome in particular our Executive Club members and those joining us from our Oneworld alliance partners.

Humberside

Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:27 pm

Not really worth opening a new thread for this

Why have Zoom stopped selling BDA-JFK. Any chance of BDA being split from JFK soon?

Talking of cruise flights, FLL will have a new destination next year - HUY (via BFS). Only one flight but very nice to see HUY have long haul charters again
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

OA260

Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:54 pm

Quoting APYu (Reply 29):
But these are not the ones that bring the masses of UK tourists over, these are international cruise lines which have a smaller UK only market and are largely international in their catchment.

Royal Caribbean themselves have 16% of the UK market share and 2008 will be a even bigger slice. Then you have NCL and Costa all who use scheduled airlines. Dont forget the huge contracts Cunard and P&O have with BA and VS. Alot of Cunard and P&O passengers fly F or J !!! They do not use charters. Also people fly out 2 or 3 days before a cruise so again charters are of no use. The majority of UK cruise passengers still use scheduled. If you want the statistics email (ACE) and they will be happy to provide you with figures im sure.

You said ''most of the UK cruises use charters'' That is not true.

bobnwa

Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:07 pm

Quoting APYu (Reply 29):

What cruise lines would the UK passengers be catching in FLL? Not sure what you mean by "international cruise lines". All the cruises out of FLL go international.

APYu

Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:12 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 31):
You said ''most of the UK cruises use charters'' That is not true.

None of the ones you quoted are UK Cruises - They are international cruises with the odd tens of people flying in from each of hundreds of countries using various routes. The Zoom flight will provide those on an international cruise with one more option to get across the pond - so long as their punctuality improves and they dont miss the boat and leave em all stranded at FLL

bobnwa

Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:15 pm

Quoting APYu (Reply 33):
None of the ones you quoted are UK Cruises

Please give an example of a UK cruise departing from FLL. What cruise line would it be.

APYu

Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:17 pm

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 32):
Not sure what you mean by "international cruise lines".

Sorry, to clarify - those which are marketed internationally and not just to one country or market.

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 32):
What cruise lines would the UK passengers be catching in FLL?

I think the Thomas Cook flights to FLL are for P and O

OA260

Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:43 pm

Quoting APYu (Reply 33):
so long as their punctuality improves and they dont miss the boat and leave em all stranded at FLL

95% of UK cruise passengers fly the night before so if there was a delay they still would get the ship. Other that opt for cruise and stay would not be affected anyway. Flying to connect to a cruise on the same day would be stupid on any airline.

Quoting APYu (Reply 35):
I think the Thomas Cook flights to FLL are for P and O

They may have some seats on it but I suggest you pick up a P&O brochure and look at their flight options. Fred Olsen is another one that does the odd charter but again the majority use scheduled.

Every year the big cruise companies meet with the scheduled airlines to hammer out prefferential Nett contracts for their cruise passengers. They are given certain classes say with BA that they can book Q class or whatever on those special rates. As I said 10 years of taking cruise vacations and I have never been offered a charter flight .

xulu8

Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:35 am

Who is to say that Zoom Airlines isn't a real airline? They have an air operators certificate, etops, been in business for 6 years, is that not enough for Zoom to be classified as a real airline? Perhaps you meant to use other words not present in your vocabulary such as you would have liked to see a legacy, large airline carrier, show interest in FLL and not a new airline such as low-cost carrier Zoom Airlines. Out of kindness, please mind your p's and q's as many people employed by Zoom also happen to frequent this website. Thanks.

xulu8

Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:17 pm

September 2007
Zoom Airlines 86% of flights departed Gatwick within 15 minutes of schedule - position 7/46 in the league table
British Airways 70% of flights departed Gatwick within 15 minutes of schedule - position 20/46 in the league table
Virgin Atlantic 66% of flights departed Gatwick within 15 minutes of schedule - position 26/46 in the league table

October 2007
Zoom Airlines 75% of flights departed Gatwick within 15 minutes of schedule - position 18/43 in the league table
British Airways 71% of flights departed Gatwick within 15 minutes of schedule - position 26/43 in the league table
Virgin Atlantic 51% of flights departed Gatwick within 15 minutes of schedule - position 39/43 in the league table

Figures from BAA at Gatwick show that our punctuality is better than both BA and Virgin. In fact, you were twice as likely to be delayed flying Virgin from Gatwick than you were with Zoom.

OA260

Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:23 pm

Quoting Xulu8 (Reply 38):
Figures from BAA at Gatwick show that our punctuality is better than both BA and Virgin. In fact, you were twice as likely to be delayed flying Virgin from Gatwick than you were with Zoom.

Thanks for the info , thats good to know. Tell me something do you have a Premium Economy class with different seats than the normal Y class or is it a Y class seat with a 36'' pitch??? I cant find it on your website. Also are there personal PTV's in this Prem Y cabin and is the cabin segregated from the rest of the A/C??? Im talking about the B767 here.

Thanks in advance .

xulu8

Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:58 pm

Zoom has a premium economy, its Y class seats are different than those in Y+., and have a 36' seat pitch. Since Zoom is a low-cost carrier, and considering that Zoom's target is to pass on savings to passengers, Zoom's premium economy does not have personal seatback televisions. That would be an added cost to operations and would not allow Zoom to offer competitive pricing. The premium cabin is however seperated from the rest of Y class via that of curtains. Cheers.

[Edited 2007-11-18 10:25:55]

[Edited 2007-11-18 10:28:56]

nomadic

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:36 pm

They dont actually . The big players in the UK actually use BA/VS/AA/DL/CO . My second hobbie is cruise vacations and I have never been offered a charter flight by Royal Caribbean/Celebrity/Silversea or NCL. They have the odd charter but it wouldnt be more than 10% . I have seen the odd charter into BGI and the weekly Summer ones to PMI by First Choice but for the USA its 90% scheduled services they use.

I am an officer on a cruise ship and as I write this, we are at the end of a 10 day voyage to the Southeren Caribbean on our way back to Ft. lauderdale. We have about 125 passengers from the U.K on board and the are all flying to London on AA or BA from Miami. All cruise long I have been hearing comments about the lack of non-stop service from Ft. Lauderdale. Our ship docks about 10 minutes from FLL (you can see the runways and terminal from the upper decks) but it is a drive of at least 45 min to an hour reaching MIA (and the horror-show waiting there - I hate that airport). The time has come for year-round service from FLL to Britain.

nomadic :?)

OA260

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:51 pm

Quoting Nomadic (Reply 41):
I am an officer on a cruise ship and as I write this, we are at the end of a 10 day voyage to the Southeren Caribbean on our way back to Ft. lauderdale. We have about 125 passengers from the U.K on board and the are all flying to London on AA or BA from Miami. All cruise long I have been hearing comments about the lack of non-stop service from Ft. Lauderdale. Our ship docks about 10 minutes from FLL (you can see the runways and terminal from the upper decks) but it is a drive of at least 45 min to an hour reaching MIA (and the horror-show waiting there - I hate that airport). The time has come for year-round service from FLL to Britain

Hi there , really nice job to have . I bet its really rewarding. I always enjoy my cruise vacations and the crews are so friendly and welcoming. You do a great job !!! My last Caribbean cruise was on the Millenium from FLL . We arrived with UA from ORD . We could see the ship as we came into land and the airport as you said was so close to the port. It really has potential. You know yourself that FLL is an extension of the cruise terminal. It was packed full of cruise passengers.
I hope that ZOOM do make a good go of it and they team up with the big cruise lines. I'm sure it will be successful.

Happy sailings , Im jealous LOL.....

nomadic

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:06 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 42):
You know yourself that FLL is an extension of the cruise terminal. It was packed full of cruise passengers.

There has been talk for quite some time of a monorail or people mover link between the port and the air terminal. I would love to see that but it is still years away.

:?)

shadez

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:24 pm

Quoting Humberside (Reply 30):
Talking of cruise flights, FLL will have a new destination next year - HUY (via BFS). Only one flight but very nice to see HUY have long haul charters again

Who will be operating that?

Humberside

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:35 pm

Quoting Shadez (Reply 44):
Quoting Humberside (Reply 30):

Who will be operating that?

Monarch I think. No doubt that they will do more FLL flights than just the HUY/BFS one throughout next winter season
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

OB1504

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:46 pm

Please note that I'm not taking sides here, as I'm thrilled to see a third airline on MIA/FLL-LON, but how many flights does Zoom have out of LON when compared to Virgin and British?

JGPH1A

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:51 pm

It's easy to have a good on-time departure record if you only have 3 or 4 flights a day, compared with BA's and VS's operations at LGW.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

xulu8

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:59 pm

Why is it, that a larger carrier like BA cannot be ontime? In canada for instance, an airline known as West Jet, has many many departures and they all leave on time, they have the best ontime performance in Canada. So again what does the size of a company have to do with punctuality? Isn't it fair to say that an airport's efficiency will more likely dictate an airline's punctuality? Unless ofcourse there is a mechanical on the plane, but mainly it is the airport. I am simply replying to that comment made that Zoom is always late, and so I posted the facts from the BAA that on average Zoom is more puncntual than BA. any thoughts?

[Edited 2007-11-18 14:06:44]

JGPH1A

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:05 pm

Quoting Xulu8 (Reply 48):
Why is it, that a larger carrier like BA cannot be ontime?

It depends on the nature of the operation, and the nature of the airport from which it is operating. LGW has one runway, and yet is one of the busiest airports in Europe. Delays in a big carrier's short-haul operations are more likely to have a knock-on effect if there is not sufficient capacity at the airport to make up delays. Delays in Zoom's long-haul operation at LGW will not have the same effect as the same delay would have on BA's or even VS's operation.