BR076
Topic Author

Qantas Staff Booed As They Helped Dying Woman

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:30 pm

Quote:
QANTAS staff have been booed by frustrated passengers at Brisbane Airport after leaving their check-in counters to assist an elderly woman who collapsed and died in the long queue.

FULL ARTICLE

bizar  Sad
ú

ADXMatt

RE: Qantas Staff Booed As They Helped Dying Woman

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:37 pm

Would the same people being booing if the QF agents went to help THEIR mother?

How selfish.....

Now if the QF agents didn't help there would be people complaining that QF doesn't care if you die in the Queue.

lobster

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:39 pm

"She said it was not particularly unusual for check-in staff to be booed or even spat on when they finished their shift and closed their counters during busy periods."

If I was working the counter and a person spit on me, it would be the last time they spit for quite a while. I may get fired, but you can bet your ass their going down. I don't see how someone can just be like "its not unusual" F that. Set an example. Some places in the States, spitting on someone is assault.

ScottB

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:40 pm

Quoting ADXMatt (Reply 1):
there would be people complaining that QF doesn't care if you die in the Queue.

Well, I guess it just goes to show that the lines really are so very long that you could die while waiting to see an agent.

antonovman

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:46 pm

Quoting Lobster (Reply 2):
"She said it was not particularly unusual for check-in staff to be booed or even spat on when they finished their shift and closed their counters during busy periods."

If I was working the counter and a person spit on me, it would be the last time they spit for quite a while. I may get fired, but you can bet your ass their going down.

I couldn't agree more

luv2fly

Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:19 pm

You Aussie's are a tough lot.
You can cut the irony with a knife

PanAm747

Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:56 pm

If I may play Devil's Advocate for a moment, how would you react if you (a) got to the airport two hours ahead of time and saw most of the check-in counters empty, (b) saw several of the employees closing up shop, and (c) thought you were going to miss your plane because the airline couldn't process you? I'd be very mad!

ON THE OTHER HAND...

There is NO excuse EVER for spitting upon someone. That is beyond contempt as being the WORST of human behavior, short of actual physical assault. Even if I saw Carl Icahn or Frank Lorenzo in an airport, I'd think about it, but I would NEVER do such a thing.

I sincerely hope that the passengers who showed such horrific behavior realized the error of their ways when they saw the situation, AND that Qantas made appropriate accomodations for passengers stuck in the line who might have been delayed. How would these very rude people feel if it were THEIR elderly mother?

Anger and frustration need to be vented to the appropriate places - upper management, not the poor people working as hard as they can!
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

access-air

Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:56 pm

Just plain sick!!!!!!!

I surely hope that not all Australians are like this and Id imagine they are not.........Its too bad that we live in this "What about me, what about me, what about me...society....
Simply pathetic....

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

OHLHD

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:05 pm

Great example of how we should behave  Yeah sure

I have left years ago my counter as well for some collapsed passenger but the passenger in the queue helped me instead of booing.

threepoint

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:16 pm

"...and now they've got people dying in the queues,"

Leave it to the union spokesperson to exaggerate to fit their purpose. People? Plural? I would even question how commonplace it is, despite her assertion, for staff to be spit upon. Sick and elderly people die all the time in queues and public places in and outside of airports.

While this seems to be another example of how cruel we behave when in a pack mentality, I'm sure there are many many workplaces in every type of industry where staff/customer relations sometimes go sour to the point of violence and/or disgusting behaviour.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

kc135topboom

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:18 pm

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 8):
Just plain sick!!!!!!!

Quoting BR076 (Thread starter):
bizar

and bizzar

COFreqFlyer

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:32 pm

I traveled on a domestic BNE-MEL flight on QF a couple months ago, was the Friday of the start of school holiday apparently. Even though I showed up to the airport *three* hours prior to the flight, I barely made the flight because of ridiculously long lines (even by American standards) at the baggage check-in counters. The line was practically running out the front door of the terminal, and the airline was actually paging passengers to break queue when they had a flight that was about to leave. What makes this absolutely ridiculous was that 3/4ths of the checkin counters were closed!

Please help me to understand, does QF not know how to plan around holiday schedules which caused increased passenger load, and schedule an appropriate amount of staff accordingly?

I am in complete agreeement, the behavour of the passengers in the scenario described by the OP is absolutely uncalled for and in extremely poor taste. I believe the available QF staff in this case did the right thing by attending to the affected passenger. If my experience a couple months ago is any indicator, however, it seems that QF management really need to look at how they handle staffing of the customer service counters and try to repair the apparently extremely poor reputation that the airline has in that regard.

Perfect case in point. If the airline knows about busy periods, they should have adequate staff on-hand and schedule around such periods. If they don't, then problems such as that will only exacerbate the situation. Even the airlines here in the states know how to schedule around this accordingly.
The Proud Bird with the Golden Tail

777STL

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:33 pm

I don't think it's as bad as it sounds. The title is a bit misleading and sensational.

Think about it, 1000 people in line and one of them collapses. 975 people probably didn't even know what was going on, all they saw were the ticket counters being closed down.

Was this in Brisbane's domestic terminal or international? It's been a few years since I've been to BNE.
PHX based

threepoint

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:36 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 11):
bizar
and bizzar

Guys, it's spelled bizzaar.

..wait for it.....

kmh1956

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:40 pm

bizar

and bizzar

Quoting Threepoint (Reply 14):
bizar
and bizzar

Actually, it's BIZARRE.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

COFreqFlyer

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:40 pm

bizar
and bizzar

Umm, bizarre?  Wink
The Proud Bird with the Golden Tail

egghead

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:43 pm

Direct quote from the article:

The public didn't know what was going on," Ms Bignell said.

abba

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:43 pm

If I was working the counter and a person spit on me, it would be the last time they spit for quite a while.

I'd be sure to make that person get the "full service". Each and every little item gone through (checked in bag as well), striped searched (inclusive of body openings), X-rayed, sniffed by dogs (had to wait for them to arrive) etc.

Reason (officially that is)? Spitting is (supposed to be) a strange and unusual behaviour and I would make it absolutely certain that this action was not caused by some illegal activities of the involved person.

Certainly that person would never make his or her flight (or the next)

threepoint

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:47 pm

..wait for it.....

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 15):
Actually, it's BIZARRE.

Quoting COFreqFlyer (Reply 16):
Umm, bizarre?

Thanks guys. Won my side bet...two bites in less than 5 minutes.

SKAirbus

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:03 pm

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 8):
surely hope that not all Australians are like this and Id imagine they are not

Who is to say it was Australian?? If it was an international flight the majority of people might have been foreigners.... Also the ground staff are Australian i'm guessing and they chose to help this poor lady...

Unfortunately people turn into b*stards when they are waiting in queues... Selfish, rude and strangely aggressive if the right situation arises... I'm also sure that Qantas allowed check in times to be extended so that none of the waiting passengers missed their flights...

What has the world come to... no one wants to help their fellow man.

Quoting Egghead (Reply 17):
The public didn't know what was going on

Well if i saw all the staff leaving their posts i would assume there was an emergency and if the woman died in the queue i'm sure plenty of passengers saw it... It wouldn't surprise me if people just trampled over her corpse so they could get front row, window seats..

[Edited 2007-11-15 11:05:49]

[Edited 2007-11-15 11:06:20]
Next Flights: LHR-OSL (738), OSL-CPH (320), CPH-LHR (321), LHR-HEL (359), HEL-LHR (359)

kmh1956

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:04 pm

Quoting Threepoint (Reply 19):
Thanks guys. Won my side bet...

Glad we could oblige. Does this mean that you're buying the beer?
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

SInGAPORE_AIR

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:06 pm

It is unfortunate that the lady in the queue was dying. It is commendable staff of that particular airline attended to the woman to ensure as best as they could her well-being.

On the other hand, I am surprised that people are quick to jump the gun on the passengers queueing. One assumes that the passengers in the queue, most of them, would have not known what was happenning. All that they would know is that the check-in staff have walked off their desks for any number of reasons. Furthermore, their feelings would conceivably be of more intense frustration and annoyance and hence they boo-ed.

And as for the spitting, from the article, no one in the queue spat at anyone. People were booing.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

iahflyer

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:36 pm

bizar
and bizzar

Umm, bizarre?

Bizarre is the correct word spelling.

What the pax did was just plain rude.
Little airports with the big jets are the best!! Floyd

YYZYYT

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:38 pm

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 7):
There is NO excuse EVER for spitting upon someone. That is beyond contempt as being the WORST of human behavior, short of actual physical assault.

Some places in the States, spitting on someone is assault.

Actually, it is a physical assault here too - I have heard of charges being laid for spitting.

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 21):
Quoting Threepoint (Reply 19):
Thanks guys. Won my side bet...

Glad we could oblige. Does this mean that you're buying the beer?

I'm sure Threepoint will oblige... all you have to do is swing by Canada to collect. November is a particularly nice time to leave Bermuda and come here.

ebs757

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:57 pm

Booed? what bunch of arrogant a$$holes...
Viva la Vida

JAGflyer

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:02 pm

Like the old line goes "People don't give a f*ck about anyone but themselves".
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

GeorgeJetson

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:24 pm

Try "bizarre". I am completely amazed that there are so many people who simply can't spell even the simplest words. There was a thread recently where several people spelled "plane" or "airplane" wrong! (I wonder if they flunked first grade). There is hardly a valid excuse for that especially with so many online dictionaries on the Internet.
Meet George Jetson

iwok

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:36 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 14):
bizar

and bizzar

bizar
and bizzar

Actually, it's BIZARRE.

rotfl  I was about to make the suggestion of "bazar", because that's seems to be the atmosphere at the time.

Quoting Egghead (Reply 16):
Direct quote from the article:

The public didn't know what was going on," Ms Bignell said.

Weather they knew or not, I doubt that spitting is the correct approach.

If QF had more competition, perhaps there would be smaller lines and less frustrated passengers  scratchchin 

iwok

iairallie

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:42 pm

Quoting Abba (Reply 18):
'd be sure to make that person get the "full service".

If someone spit on me as I checked them in they wouldn't be traveling at all that day or ever on my airline. It is considered assault in the US and I would immediately call the police and press charges. Totally classless crass behavior and an indication that the person is not safe to allow on an aircraft. If they react with antisocial behavior on the ground who knows what they are capable of in the air.

Sadly this behavior does not surprise me. When I was a new little flight attendant I was working a transcontinental flight NYC-SAN and we had to divert for an 86 year old woman having heart trouble. We had taken first aid measures, administered O2 etc. and her condition was worsening so the Captain. We were rapidly descending and trying to secure the cabin for landing collecting dinner trays when this Gentleman (I use the term loosely) proceeded to demand to speak to the "flight captain" because he was angry we were diverting. I said "sir I'm sorry but we have a medical emergency if it was your loved one you would want us to do the same". He continued to be pissed off about it demanding to see the "flight captain " again this time starting to get out of his seat. the seat belt sign was on, we were close to landing and given the urgency of the situation there was no time to put up with someone being agressive and non-compliant. So in order to curtail any ideas this man might have about causing problems. I calmly said "As you can tell the captain is in the process of landing the plane and cannot be disturbed. You are more than welcome to speak to him once we land and the seatbelt sign has been turned off. However I must inform you that if you get out of your seat before the sign has been turned off. I will have you met on the ground by the authorities" . He immediately sat down and said " I wasn't getting out of my seat" I replied "Thats wonderful I was just informing you of the consequences if you should make that choice" . After landing this fellow went nuclear. It took the captain, FO, lead flight attendant, a gate agent, A supervisor, and 2 police officers to calm the man down enough to continue on . He was mad we diverted, he was mad about the weather near the diversion airport (distant thunder storms), He was mad we "picked" COS, he was mad that it took so long to get his meal/have it picked up (mind you the medical started before the meal service and though we were short 2-3 of the 5 flight attendants as we dealt with the sick passenger we still did a complete meal service), and he was especially mad at me telling him he needed to stay seated while we landed for the emergency. Boggles the mind how someone can be so utterly lacking in compassion and so completely self absorbed. It took us less than an hour out of scheduled travel time to divert and get going again. This man couldn't spare an hour out of his day for a very sick elderly woman. Pathetic!
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

ZKSUJ

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:46 pm

Good on the QF staff for doing what was most important at the time and they should be commended for it, but I doubt that all 1000 PAX would have known what was going on. Many I presume would have presumed that check in lanes were closed at a peak time and were hence understandably annoyed at it.

Now if people booed at QF staff knowing that there was a dying lady lying on the floor, that would then be inhumane and selfish. But tell me this, when at the back of a check in line, do you really know what is going on at the front? Most of the time the answer is no.

I'm not defending the 'booers', just putting things in perspective

AFGMEL

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:55 pm

I doubt that the people booing knew what the staff were doing.

As for being spat on, the management at QF should be spat on. I do NOT fly QF any longer for many reasons. Domestically they are often more expensive in any case. The queues at the QF terminal have to be seen to be believed at MEL sometimes. People queuing out the door or into the international terminal.

Still, the sheep keep flying QF and ergo get what they deserve.
B 727-44/200 732/3/4/8/9 767-3 742/3/4, 772/3, A319/20/21 332/333 342/3 , DC3/4/10, F28/50/100, ATR72

airnewzealand

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:03 pm

Quoting Threepoint (Reply 9):
Leave it to the union spokesperson to exaggerate to fit their purpose. People? Plural? I would even question how commonplace it is, despite her assertion, for staff to be spit upon. Sick and elderly people die all the time in queues and public places in and outside of airports.

This is not an exaggeation. Id say a check-in agent (domestic side) gets cused at atleast once a day and spat on atleast once a month or more.

Regardless of age, we are their to help...which is what these agents did!

Quoting COFreqFlyer (Reply 11):
I am in complete agreeement, the behavour of the passengers in the scenario described by the OP is absolutely uncalled for and in extremely poor taste. I believe the available QF staff in this case did the right thing by attending to the affected passenger. If my experience a couple months ago is any indicator, however, it seems that QF management really need to look at how they handle staffing of the customer service counters and try to repair the apparently extremely poor reputation that the airline has in that regard.

It is not common pactice. Regardless, QF has strict policies on hiring practices and will not hire any joe bloggs... In this regard they find it hard to employee the right people.

Regardless of these policies, many people leave as they donot believe they should be subjected to the abuse many of them take on a day-to-day basis! Sad, but true.

Quoting Iwok (Reply 27):
If QF had more competition, perhaps there would be smaller lines and less frustrated passengers

What a stupid thing to say!

qantas787

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:06 pm

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 25):

Off topic but that is the Australian way of life. Just watch as they beg for even more handouts from political parties so they can be voted in. Gimmee, gimmee and gimmee.
G'day

Mandrake

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:11 pm

First of all, the past tense of spit is spat.
Secondly, nobody spat so please stop talking about it.
Thirdly it takes at least a generation for migrants to learn the Australian way.

Australians don't spit at people.

Mandrake
Everything nice has its price, and the nicer, the pricier.

Motorhussy

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:15 pm

Quoting COFreqFlyer (Reply 15):

bizar
and bizzar

Umm, bizarre? Wink

Unless the queue was in a Bazaar in which case it would be bizarre.

Quoting Iwok (Reply 27):
If QF had more competition, perhaps there would be smaller lines and less frustrated passengers

Many say that it's due to competition from Virgin-Blue, Tiger Airways and their own Jet-Star (among others) that Qantas are having to cut their costs and margins to the point where service levels are constantly being compromised. On this side of the world, competition is healthy. Perhaps this is an aspect of the ugly side of it?

Regards
MH
come visit the south pacific

AFGMEL

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:37 pm

Quoting MotorHussy (Reply 34):
Perhaps this is an aspect of the ugly side of it?

Possibly, but the computer knows how many passengers there are and how many flights are departing. So should the management. If half the staff call in sick then the excecutive staff and anybody else who is on call should get off their arses and man the counters instead of having meetings about the busy terminal.

I don't know about you but I have certainly pitched in and helped in companies I have worked for when things get crazy. Manned reception, answered phones etc. Wasn't in my job description.
B 727-44/200 732/3/4/8/9 767-3 742/3/4, 772/3, A319/20/21 332/333 342/3 , DC3/4/10, F28/50/100, ATR72

Motorhussy

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:47 pm

Quoting AFGMEL (Reply 35):
then the excecutive staff and anybody else who is on call should get off their arses and man the counters instead of having meetings about the busy terminal.

Couldn't agree more. The check-in is the area that causes passengers and crew the most stress, but it's also one where management seem to constantly be at logger heads with staff at the coal face. On this side of the Tasman, it's great to see senior NZ management every so often at check-in.

Quoting AFGMEL (Reply 35):
I don't know about you but I have certainly pitched in and helped in companies I have worked for when things get crazy.

Good on you buddy!
come visit the south pacific

threepoint

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:53 pm

Quoting Iahflyer (Reply 22):
Bizarre is the correct word spelling.

Quoting GeorgeJetson (Reply 26):
Try "bizarre". I am completely amazed that there are so many people who simply can't spell even the simplest words.

Thanks gentlemen. Althogh my speling is perhaps amung the best on this furrum, I apreciate your consern.
I can spell bizarre and a dozen other words just as well thanks, and can also recognise sarcasm, which may be the lowest form of wit, but was nevertheless used in healthy doses in reply #13. I would have thought that the 'wait for it' portion of the post would have alerted you to the joke, which was uncovered again in reply #18. Perhaps not.

abba

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:56 pm

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 28):

What a story!

If you could get away with having spitting counted as an insult - that is certainly first choice of action!!

if not (and that seems to be the case in Aussie land) - then the "full service" must be given.

threepoint

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:59 pm

Quoting Airnewzealand (Reply 31):
Id say a check-in agent (domestic side) gets cused at atleast once a day and spat on atleast once a month or more.

I have no evidence to support my skepticism, but I do find that very difficult to believe.

BAOPS777

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:08 pm

The general public can be vile. Here is one of my experiences and shows you how inconsiderate they can be

I operated a flight to Kingston Jamacia from London and had a pax threaten to punch my face in if I didnt get him a glass of water.

Fine that is rude but since I was in the middle of doing CPR on a 32yr old women travelling with her two kids aged 3 and 5 who where just round the corner I kind of took exception. He then punched one of my collegues and said I am alive she is dead get me a glass of water or you will join her. 5 minutes later he was cuffed and tied to a seat for 5 hours. Only to be released by the Police in KIN and be reclaiming baggage before us. It is amazing what the power of money can get you in some countries.

Sadly after 2 hours of working on the young lady she did passed away

NoUFO

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:23 pm

Quoting ADXMatt (Reply 1):
Would the same people being booing if the QF agents went to help THEIR mother?

How selfish.....

Yes, but to be fair, they probably didn't realize what was going on (as it was mentioned in the article, btw.). Perhaps the staff should not have "formally closed" the counter (if they did) but simply hasten to the dying lady.

If I was working the counter and a person spit on me, it would be the last time they spit for quite a while. I may get fired, but you can bet your ass their going down.

Same here. I wish I could hold myself back and make them miss their flight and sue them, but I guess I would simply explode.
I support the right to arm bears

AJMIA

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:27 pm

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 8):
I have left years ago my counter as well for some collapsed passenger but the passenger in the queue helped me instead of booing.

I have worked for AA for almost seventeen years and I have had a few people collapse in front of me. The last time it happened a young man began having seizures. Two people from the queue helped me hold him in place until the paramedics arrived. I saw to it that they were both upgraded on their flights and everyone went away feeling good about themselves.

I can only hope that the passengers in Australia who were doing the booing did not realize that someone had collapsed and that the agents were going to assist her.

I also hope that the QF agents were running to assist the passenger and not rubberneck. Once the paramedics arrive assisting airline staff should be kept to a minimum.

AJMIA
Lady it's a jet... not a kite.

BAOPS777

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:37 pm

Quoting AJMIA (Reply 42):
I have worked for AA for almost seventeen years and I have had a few people collapse in front of me. The last time it happened a young man began having seizures. Two people from the queue helped me hold him in place until the paramedics arrived.

My example before was extreme. I have been crew for over 10 years and I have also had so many offers of help onboard flights from people who may not have medical training but even want to help to keep the area clear so that you could get on with your job. One of guy even answered dreaded call bells of pax who couldnt see what was going on and just explained what was happening. It is always so easy to remmeber the rude and arrogant pax out there but there are so many big hearted and well manered pax out there and always tell you when you do something right.

THEY ARE THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE JOBS WORKING WITH THE PUBLIC REWARDING!!!!!!!!!!

vheca

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:01 pm

I think thatonly the first 15 or so who can see the check in counter booed. only because they got that far to find the counters to be closed (and not knowign there was an emergency). The 15 or so people around the lady who collapsed probably did not boo the staff on their arrival to the scene as they realised that there was something wrong. the rest? Probably had no freakin idea what was going on and probably remain passive throughout the whole event until they learned what had happened.

Quoting Qantas787 (Reply 32):

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 25):

Off topic but that is the Australian way of life. Just watch as they beg for even more handouts from political parties so they can be voted in. Gimmee, gimmee and gimmee.

I doubt that this would involve all Australian ways of life. I am sure as hell that i dont act in this way. Generalise to yourself, or keep your opinions to yourself. An aviation thread about people dying in check in queues and people being booed for assisting them is in no way connected to the current political environment in Australia!

Quoting Mandrake (Reply 33):
First of all, the past tense of spit is spat.
Secondly, nobody spat so please stop talking about it.
Thirdly it takes at least a generation for migrants to learn the Australian way.

Australians don't spit at people.

Mandrake

Thanks for the clarification of the spelling and proper use of the english language, but that is not the point here! Surely!?
I agree, nobody spat during this incident, but the representative for the staff ahd said in the article that it is not unusual for check in staff to be spat at! So there is some relevence to this in our discussions on this thread. And again another generalisation on Australia and Australians...most Australians dont spit on people. Some do, and they are most of the time, the minority!

I sincerely hope that the family of this women are ok and have been able to put this sad event to rest along with her body! To the staff at the check-in, the use of the common logical thinking of life over customer satisfaction, is well respected by myself and am glad that they can commit themselves to aiding someone in this situation. I am disappointed that their efforts did not help the lady.

VHECA
PAX on-312,320,722,732,733,73H,73W,739,742,743,74C,752,753,762,789,AB4,CR7,D1C,D28,DHT,F27,L11

AFGMEL

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:32 pm

Yes, please don't use this article for the purpose of Aussie bashing. Remember these are journalists and rarely get the facts right. I have been all over this big old world of ours and I can say with pride that Aussies would rank amongst the friendliest and msot helpful I have ever encountered. We have our bad eggs as well of course, but overall I challenge you to come here and see for yourself. The only rider I would put on this is that the locals are probably sick of tourists in the circular quay area.

carnoc

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:37 pm

I used to work under Terminal Operations at an Australia airport and I can say 95% of passengers do not spit on staff even when they are quite angry and aggressive. But you always get a few who have bad manners be it in Australia, the U.S. or anywhere else.

However, I have to say that the Qantas check-in queues at Brisbane airport is absolutely shocking. In fact, a newspaper article just branded it as the worst in Australia. That's why I try not to fly with Qantas whenever from Brisbane.

Regards.

SKAirbus

Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:15 am

Quoting AFGMEL (Reply 45):
Yes, please don't use this article for the purpose of Aussie bashing.

Well as i said before, it was the Australian Qantas staff that should be commended here for their quick reaction to the collapse of a passenger... although she sadly passed away.

But also as i said before i assume that many of the passengers were not Australian.. did this event happen in the international terminal??

Seriously i hope the Qantas staff didn't apologise to the passengers that booed... they deserve to fly cargo class for their behaviour... I'm also sure that many of the queuing knew what was happening because there was supposedly quite a commotion around the passenger when she collapsed. The public are very very nosey!!
Next Flights: LHR-OSL (738), OSL-CPH (320), CPH-LHR (321), LHR-HEL (359), HEL-LHR (359)

baw716

Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:27 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 6):
If I may play Devil's Advocate for a moment, how would you react if you (a) got to the airport two hours ahead of time and saw most of the check-in counters empty, (b) saw several of the employees closing up shop, and (c) thought you were going to miss your plane because the airline couldn't process you? I'd be very mad!

That's why I show up three hours ahead...

ON THE OTHER HAND...

There is NO excuse EVER for spitting upon someone. That is beyond contempt as being the WORST of human behavior, short of actual physical assault. Even if I saw Carl Icahn or Frank Lorenzo in an airport, I'd think about it, but I would NEVER do such a thing.

I believe in the USA it is a federal crime (assault) to spit on personnel in an airport, either airport or TSA.

I sincerely hope that the passengers who showed such horrific behavior realized the error of their ways when they saw the situation, AND that Qantas made appropriate accomodations for passengers stuck in the line who might have been delayed. How would these very rude people feel if it were THEIR elderly mother?

Well, based on what I've read, the Aussies can be pretty tough (although I personally have never experienced this with the Aussies I've ever encountered), but no matter what, I agree completely with your statement. It was the moral duty of those QF staff to assist the passenger. I wonder how people would have reacted if the QF staff did nothing and continued to check in passengers while a passenger in the queue was dying? I'd bet there'd be a riot. In the USA (in most states, at least), the good samaritan laws give the person helping the right to refuse to help, so long as they call in alternate assistance. The laws also protect those of us who jump in and help against suit, even if a person dies. Of course, having the proper training and knowledge in the use of CPR and AEDs is helpful (as I do)..but I don't know if this is taught to airline staff here. Anyone know if any airline provides CPR courses as part of their customer service training?

Anger and frustration need to be vented to the appropriate places - upper management, not the poor people working as hard as they can!

True enough.

Great post PanAm747

baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

qantas787

Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:34 am

Quoting VHECA (Reply 44):
I doubt that this would involve all Australian ways of life. I am sure as hell that i dont act in this way. Generalise to yourself, or keep your opinions to yourself. An aviation thread about people dying in check in queues and people being booed for assisting them is in no way connected to the current political environment in Australia!

My apologies Sir. You are correct.
G'day