lrdc9

Part 2: DL & UA In Merger Talks!

Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:18 am

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071114/delta_united.html?.v=6

I thought it was time for a new thread seeing as almost 250 posts on last thread.

The thread was originally posted by Flydl2atl.
Exciting stuff!

Link to old thread: Delta And UA Now In Merger Talks (by Flydl2atl Nov 14 2007 in Civil Aviation)
Just say NO to scabs.

SLCUT2777

RE: Part 2: DL & UA In Merger Talks!

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:46 am

I think many on these boards enjoy the speculation, but in this instance it really is about a letter that became public a couple of days ago by a large Wall Street Hedge Fund firm that purchased a bunch of UA and DL stock as each carrier came out of Chapter 11 receivership.
For the record on this Part II of the thread, here is the official DL news release:

Quoting delta.com/newsroom:
Company reiterates previously stated positions on industry consolidation
ATLANTA, Nov. 14, 2007 -- Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) CEO Richard Anderson today issued the following statement in response to correspondence from Pardus Capital Management LP advocating that Delta lead industry consolidation:
"We appreciate receiving Pardus' views on the best course for Delta's future. We have been consistent in our public statements that Delta believes that the right consolidation transaction could generate significant value for our shareholders and employees and that strategic options should be evaluated. With oil at over $90 a barrel, this analysis takes on a heightened importance as we factor those prices into our long-term planning process."
Prior to receiving this letter, Delta's Board of Directors had established a special committee of the Board to work with management to review and analyze strategic options to ensure Delta maintains its leadership position in the airline industry, including potential consolidation transactions. The committee is headed by Daniel Carp, Delta's non executive Chairman of the Board. The company had also retained financial and legal advisors to assist in this review and in the development of recommendations to Delta's Board of Directors.

http://news.delta.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=10908

As many analysts have reiterated over the past 2-3 years, if there is any big airline link-up, DL+NW makes the most sense, even though many here will point to fleet and labor incompatibility.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

YVRUA

Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:32 am

I wonder if all those happy southerner DELTOIDS wish they had signed union cards ! Mergers are inevitable and airline employees need the unions to work out the best deal. No Union, No bargaining, No negotiating. As far as pilots go, should be easy as UA has no MD80/90 and DL has no Airbus, Few 777, no 747.

davescj

Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:35 am

IF (and I stress IF) it happens, it would be an interesting marriage. UA has massive Asia routes, and DL has managed to get some good Europe and Africa footholds/routes.

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

ryu2

Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:45 am

Quote:
IF (and I stress IF) it happens, it would be an interesting marriage. UA has massive Asia routes, and DL has managed to get some good Europe and Africa footholds/routes.

And the perfect name for the merged airline would be... PAN AM!

[Edited 2007-11-15 22:53:28]

CV880

Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:41 am

[quote=YVRUA,reply=2]I wonder if all those happy southerner DELTOIDS wish they had signed union cards ! Mergers are inevitable and airline employees need the unions to work out the best deal.[quote]

Those unions at WA & PA sure helped a lot when WA/DL merged and DL absorbed part of PA's operations...Your characterization of "Southerner" is a bit out of place as well. DL has operations in almost all of the 50 states. As having worked there for over 30yrs, I never worked in the South, nor have many others....

Lono

Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:18 am

Quoting CV880 (Reply 5):
Those unions at WA & PA sure helped a lot when WA/DL merged and DL absorbed part of PA's operations

Understatement...!!!

As I recall WA union was forced out since DL was the surviving carrier.... however some weird things happened with some of the old PA people... some were slotted and some were let go... it was explained that since PA did not merge with DL their employees were SOL... but in a gesture of good will some were slotted.... (?)... never did figure that out I guess I just know some of them showed up in DFW and we were bumped down....since everyone at PA had been working forever...
Wally Bird Ruled the Skys!

UK_Dispatcher

Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:26 am

Quoting Ryu2 (Reply 4):

Delta United has a ring to it.

davescj

Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:34 am

Quoting Ryu2 (Reply 4):

cloudnine   crossfingers   yes 

I wouldn't obj to that name!! I also like the above idea (Delta United). However, I think the Pan Am name is still owned.

How about -- WorldReach?

Dave

UAL777UK

Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:03 pm

Am I missing something here, why has this second thread started! They have both come out and said they are not in discussion about any merger. 250 responses later do we really need any thread for further speculation?...i love A.Net, but come on, you have to draw the line somewhere!

UnitedTristar

Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:22 pm

Quoting Davescj (Reply 8):
How about -- WorldReach?

What about TransGlobal...

I can see it now...Dean Martin as a Capitan who gets pissed at a Chicago airport manager after one of his companys aircraft gets stuck in the mud at the airport....

Oh wait...Thats Airport!

no merger will happen but if it does, clearly it will be called United!

-m

airplane 

davescj

Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:11 pm

Quoting UnitedTristar (Reply 10):
no merger will happen but if it does, clearly it will be called United!

And that's so true you can say it twice over.

So what can I say, but........TRUE

Dave

RedTailDTW

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:10 pm

Quoting UK_Dispatcher (Reply 7):
Delta United has a ring to it.

I still think DELITED sounds better.  Big grin

Mason
Airlines Flown: AA, CO, HP, MQ, NW, RP, UA, US, WN, YX / Aircraft Flown: 737-200/300/700/800, 757-200/300, 777-200, A319/A320/A321, DC-9-30/50, DC-10-40, ERJ 140/145, E170, MD80/83/90

RL757PVD

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:48 pm

Im tempted to start a thread on an AA + WN merger, while everyones doing worthless speculation anyways, why not?  Yeah sure
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

AviationAddict

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:56 pm

Quoting Lrdc9 (Thread starter):
Exciting stuff!

How is it exciting? Both airlines have already denied the story numerous times. You all have to give it up, it's not going happen!

SLCUT2777

Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:41 pm

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 13):
Im tempted to start a thread on an AA + WN merger, while everyones doing worthless speculation anyways, why not?  sarcastic 

rotfl   rotfl  That will be the day!  kiss   laughing  I think you'll see a major seismic event in the DFW metro-plex before you see that happen!

Quoting YVRUA (Reply 2):
I wonder if all those happy southerner DELTOIDS wish they had signed union cards ! Mergers are inevitable and airline employees need the unions to work out the best deal. No Union, No bargaining, No negotiating.

Well unlike you Canucks in B.C. the good ole USA doesn't have an NDP that is so wrapped around the finger of organized labour, even though some parts of the Democratic National Committee are.
I really don't think Pardus Capitol Management has the power to force a DL+UA merger. This scare over $90 oil is more of a short term phase the oil futures market is going through. Hopefully by now OPEC is smart enough to know that if the North American economy goes south, the Asian and Latin American economy could shortly follow. I think the fund managers at Pardus are over reacting, and are just trying to bump UA and DL stock up even higher.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

masseybrown

Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:54 pm

I have to say I think all this hoo-hah is the result of 1) a strategic leak intended by the nameless, presumably-DL source to head off any merger that threatened to turn out the lights in Atlanta, and 2) a press release from Pardus aimed solely at getting something (even just the stock price) moving.

NW748i

Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:04 pm

clearly it will be called United

checkmark  - 'United' just has such a nice ring to it, for some reason. I never have understood what's behind the name 'Delta.' Change? Someone might fill me in on that...

Also, in the admittedly unlikely chance that this comes to pass, I think the management (whoever it is) should be in Chicago. Airtran will quickly grow to fill in the void in Atlanta.
Hail! to the victors valiant, Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes, Hail! Hail! to Michigan the leaders and best! Go Blue!

flyingcat

Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:09 pm

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 15):
I really don't think Pardus Capitol Management has the power to force a DL+UA merger.

A hedge fund under Kirk Kerkorian (Tracinda) forced GM to make moves it did not want. Carl Icahn and his group foreced Time Warner to buy back $20 billion in stock and appoint independent board members. In exchange they agrred to stop their drive to break up the company. Pardus was able to buy into the Ballys

And this just in Pardus,

with Gordon Bethune attending,

is presenting their plan to other investors at today's Merrill Lynch conference. The ramifications are obvious Delta and United after bankruptcy are less under control of their own destiny. The creditors/shareholders call the shots not Tilton or Anderson.

davescj

Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:17 pm

While oil prices will go back down, they won't go back to where they were. If you think not, only look at gas prices -- low -- spike -- lower, but not former prices (at least in my experience). I think a merger is going to happen or someone (even if a smaller carrier) will go out of biz. Granted TWA/AA or HW/US size mergers aren't common, but more I will happen IMHO. Look at the drama over Midwest as a case in point.

What I'll be interested to see is if Skybus is able to make a go of it. At the cost of gas, I can't see the hassles of the smaller airports being worth it -- not only in gas you spend, but also the time getting to the airport, + all the "extras" they charge for.

Just my thoughts.

Dave

CV880

Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:53 pm

Quoting Lono (Reply 6):
As I recall WA union was forced out since DL was the surviving carrier.... however some weird things happened with some of the old PA people... some were slotted and some were let go... it was explained that since PA did not merge with DL their employees were SOL... but in a gesture of good will some were slotted.... (?)... never did figure that out I guess I just know some of them showed up in DFW and we were bumped down....since everyone at PA had been working forever...

Both WA/PA employees at DL were given their full seniority for bidding, vacations & pay after being with DL for about a 3yr period. The one thing that did hurt was their pension from DL started from the date of the mergers. Some WA, ex-Teamster Union Members actually did ok as they received pensions from both DL & the Union.

SLCUT2777

Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:19 pm

Quoting Flyingcat (Reply 18):
A hedge fund under Kirk Kerkorian (Tracinda) forced GM to make moves it did not want. Carl Icahn and his group foreced Time Warner to buy back $20 billion in stock and appoint independent board members. In exchange they agrred to stop their drive to break up the company. Pardus was able to buy into the Ballys

It all depends upon the percentage of control they have, as well as what board members they have in their hip pockets. Correct me if I'm wrong, but GM divesting Delphi was about the best thing that could happen to GM, perhaps not for rank-n-file workers. I think the DL board knows a merger is in the cards for them, and that's why most of them are there. I think they'll explore it, but there will be too big a mess, especially with the DOJ, no matter what Republican or Democratic administration is in power in the executive or legislative branch in Washington. Where I think the DOJ is more open to mergers is larger carriers taking over the smaller ones. For example if UA went after US now, I think they would let that one go through. DL+NW makes much more sense and could pan out to be the best possible Wall Street money maker even with the labor and fleet compatibility issues. I see Boeing licking their collective chops on this one.

Quoting Flyingcat (Reply 18):
The ramifications are obvious Delta and United after bankruptcy are less under control of their own destiny. The creditors/shareholders call the shots not Tilton or Anderson.

No one will deny forthcoming consolidation, but I think Tilton restructured UA to be sold off piece by piece if needs be, and Grinstein took a position of holding DL together and emerge more in a leadership position. I think Richard Anderson was brought in largely to facilitate an eventual merger in the acquisition position, and Glenn Tilton is just a puppet looking for the best suitor. Keep in mind DL has retained Gerry Grinstein as a consultant, and he has been the architect of two mergers; the DL+Western Merger two decades ago, as well as the Burlington Northern+ATSF R.R. Merger in the early 1990s.

ikramerica

Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:21 pm

As to why this topic won't die?

Because when presented with clear evidence to the contrary, a.net still likes to believe rumors and doubt facts. That's why...  Wink

There have been a bunch of threads recently where they began on a rumor, the rumor was proven false, but it didn't stop people from continuing to propagate it.

But hey, that's how Vampire mythology began, and plenty of people believe that is true now...  scared 

What about TransGlobal...

How about Pan Universe.

Quoting Davescj (Reply 19):
If you think not, only look at gas prices -- low -- spike -- lower, but not former prices (at least in my experience).

They did in the late 80s. They were 70 cents a gallon in some parts of the USA, and adjusted for inflation, that was lower than before the gas crunch of the 70s/early 80s.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

jacobin777

Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:54 pm

.........this would lead to some conflict of interest...as UA revenue shares TATL flights with LH and DL will be revenue sharing TATL flights with AF/KL....not to mention, AF sharing those coveted LHR slots with DL...
"Up the Irons!"

MEACEDAR

Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:06 pm

Finally, my dream is coming true........well almost.....hopefully.

MEACEDAR

masseybrown

Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:44 pm

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 21):
Keep in mind DL has retained Gerry Grinstein as a consultant,

This is a common arrangement for outgoing senior officers. How often do you suppose he will be consulted? I'd guess once a year on his birthday.

iliribdl

Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:46 pm

What do you guys think of the possibility of US and DL merging? (I know it didn't work the first time they tried)
delta.com

platinumfoota

Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:09 pm

Quoting RedTailDTW (Reply 12):
I still think DELITED sounds better.

rotfl   rotfl  Good one.
Reminds me of this time my friend sent me a text saying Delta and AeroMexico are merging and are going to be called DelTaCO  duck 
Never forget United 93

davescj

Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:16 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 22):
They did in the late 80s. They were 70 cents a gallon in some parts of the USA, and adjusted for inflation, that was lower than before the gas crunch of the 70s/early 80s.

I didn't realize that. Good reality injection.

Dave

NDSchu777

Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:03 pm

The idea of a Delta-United merger sounds intreguing and has its pluses and minuses.

One of the biggest pluses I see is that the route maps mesh very well. Domestically United has a very good presence on on the West Coast (SFO and LAX), a good presence in Hawaii, and is very well positioned down the center of the country with the DEN, ORD, and IAD hubs. Delta is very strong on the East Coast with good presence in BOS and NYC and is very strong in the South with ATL hub as well as taking O&D traffic to Florida. The major overlaps in the domestic networks would be CVG and ORD as well as DEN and SLC.

Internationally, the routes compliment each other even better. United is very dominant in the Asia/Pacific region, an area where Delta is lacking. Delta has much more of a presence in Europe, however the one spot they are lacking there is no LHR slots, which is where United fills in very nicely. Delta also adds some more destinations in Latin America and now Africa.

Like some have mentioned before, the combined airline would look almost like a resurrected PanAm, only with a very strong domestic network the original carrier desperately needed. This almost makes sense since if I remember my airline history correctly, United inherited its Pacific routes and LHR slots from PanAm and Delta inherited many of its European destinations from PanAm. In some ways it really is PanAm coming back together again.

I agree with the original speculation that the combined carrier would be named "United". I believe that the United "U" is one of the most recognizable corporate logos in the world. The marketing power of that brand recognition is worth preserving, even if it is mainly Delta's management who would be in the driver's seat.

I think it would be great if they merged the best parts of their in-flight products. Keep Economy Plus, Channel 9, P.S. and the new Business Class from United and Delta's great IFE. Personally I'd like the merger since the two airlines I carry the most miles with are United Mileage Plus and Delta SkyMiles.

The major negatives I see would be labor and fleet integration. The fleets have a lot of differences:
Narrowbody: (614 combined)
UA: (281 total)
737 Classic (CFM) x 90
A319 (IAE) x 55
A320 (IAE) x 39
757 (PW) x 97
DL: (333)
MD-88 (PW) x 118
MD-90 (IAE) x 16
737-800 (CFM) x 71
757-200 (PW) x 128

Widebody: (226 combined)
UA: (117 total)
767-300 (PW) x 35
777-200 (PW) x 52
747-400 (PW) x 30
DL: (109 total)
767-300 (PW & GE) x 80
767-400 (GE) x 21
777-200 (RR x 8 (200LR [GE] on the way)

GRAND TOTAL COMBINED FLEET: 840 Aircraft

Obviously it would be a challenge to integrate these fleets, especially the narrowbodies. Most likely the 737 Classics and the MD-90's would be eliminated. Widebody fleet may be a little trickier to balance out. What I'd love to see to celebrate the merger would be a 787 order of 100+ airplanes to replace the aging 136 767's. They'd probably maintain the A320/737NG/MD80 fleet until the the 737/A320 replacement came available.

Would be interesting to see how they'd integrate the SFO and ATL maintenance bases. I'm guessing if they chose to keep only one, Delta Tech Ops in ATL would stay and SFO might get the ax. I'd guess the rumor of keeping corporate HQ in Chicago, and moving all operations to ATL would make the most sense.

Again, this is all speculation, especially since Delta denied the talks yesterday, but its always fun to imagine what it would be like. However I wouldn't rule it out, since both UA and DL are looking to merge. I think a lot of the pluses I went over show it to make sense on paper, but the minuses might outweigh them in reality. Rumors and drama like this make the airline industry exciting and worth following!

haggis79

Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:57 pm

Quoting NDSchu777 (Reply 29):
Keep Economy Plus, Channel 9, P.S. and the new Business Class from United and Delta's great IFE.

well, if DL acquires UA, Channel 9 is gonna be gone... I think there was a thread about a year or something ago that said that most airlines have a clause that says "no channel 9 (or something to that effect)" in their pilot contracts. So the only chance to retain Channel 9 is if UA is the acquirer, not DL...
300 310 319/20/21 332/3 343 AT4/7 143 B19 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 742/4 752/3 763/4 77E/W CR2/7/9 D95 E45/70 F50 F70 100 M11 M90

United787

Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:54 am

Quoting NW748i (Reply 17):
- 'United' just has such a nice ring to it, for some reason. I never have understood what's behind the name 'Delta.' Change? Someone might fill me in on that...

I believe the Delta name came from the Mississippi River Delta.

rwy04lga

Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:55 am

Quoting NW748i (Reply 17):
I never have understood what's behind the name 'Delta.'

Delta, as in Mississippi River delta, from New Orleans, where Delta got it's start in 1928.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

rwy04lga

Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:00 am

As a new name...how about a combination of their respective initials? DAL + UAL = DUAL And since it's a pairing, the wordplay on 'dual' is appropriate.

It's settled then, DUAL Airlines!

Hey, It's no worse than Ted or Song!
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

bobnwa

Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:13 pm

Quoting Haggis79 (Reply 30):
well, if DL acquires UA, Channel 9 is gonna be gone... I think there was a thread about a year or something ago that said that most airlines have a clause that says "no channel 9 (or something to that effect)" in their pilot contracts. So the only chance to retain Channel 9 is if UA is the acquirer, not DL...

If your source is a thread you read about a year, then I would say positively it is not true. Logically, why would it be true.

haggis79

Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:36 pm

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 34):
If your source is a thread you read about a year, then I would say positively it is not true. Logically, why would it be true.

well, if your only source is your distrust in my memory, you might want to explain why UA is the only airline in the US (and even in the world, if memory serves right) having something like Ch. 9 and why DL would introduce it only if and after they have acquired UA, but not if they don't/before they do....?  Wink
300 310 319/20/21 332/3 343 AT4/7 143 B19 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 742/4 752/3 763/4 77E/W CR2/7/9 D95 E45/70 F50 F70 100 M11 M90

bobnwa

Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:41 pm

Quoting Haggis79 (Reply 35):
well, if your only source is your distrust in my memory, you might want to explain why UA is the only airline in the US (and even in the world, if memory serves right) having something like Ch. 9 and why DL would introduce it only if and after they have acquired UA, but not if they don't/before they do....?

I have no idea why United has Channel 9 and others don't. But I am quite sure it doesn't have anything to do with pilot contracts. As for Delta getting Channel 9 ,when has Delta said they would introduce it after acquiring UA. As far as I have read, Delta denies they are talking about merger with United, so how could Channel 9 would have come up?

On the wild outside chance that DL and UA were talking do you think that channel 9 would even be a topic of consideration? There would be many thousands of points discussed before that minute detail.

Cubsrule

Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:00 pm

Quoting Haggis79 (Reply 35):

well, if your only source is your distrust in my memory, you might want to explain why UA is the only airline in the US (and even in the world, if memory serves right) having something like Ch. 9

UA is also the only carrier in the U.S. to have audio entertainment on every mainline flight. (They may also be unique in the world here; certainly even the 'good' European carriers such as AF lack audio on intra-Europe services). Audio is a little more important to UA than to their competitors, and if pax like the feature, it costs them next to nothing. Most of the technical requirements for Channel 9 are in place anyway for the other purposes they serve.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

NW748i

Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:09 am

Quoting Rwy04LGA (Reply 32):
Delta, as in Mississippi River delta, from New Orleans, where Delta got it's start in 1928.

Interestingly enough, on Thursday during his visit with some congressmen Anderson pointed out to Rep. Westmoreland that Delta has a "legacy that goes back to Monroe, Louisiana." In other words, DL has more to it than just Atlanta, Georgia. A bit of pushback to disconnect DL from ATL (easy come, easy go) and show who's in charge of the airline? Time will tell...

More on point, I read an interesting article today... the Friday referred to is 11/16.

Excerpts:
"NEW YORK (Reuters) - Hedge fund Pardus Capital Management LP, lobbying for a merger between Delta Air Lines Inc and UAL Corp , plans to pitch its proposal to other investors on Friday, sources close to the situation told Reuters."
"The Friday meeting will provide a forum for Pardus and its adviser Gordon Bethune, the former chief executive of Continental Airlines Inc , to present their analysis to investors, sources close to the situation said."

[Edited 2007-11-17 19:15:34]
Hail! to the victors valiant, Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes, Hail! Hail! to Michigan the leaders and best! Go Blue!

Alitalia744

Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:24 am

Quoting NW748i (Reply 38):
Interestingly enough, on Thursday during his visit with some congressmen Anderson pointed out to Rep. Westmoreland that Delta has a "legacy that goes back to Monroe, Louisiana."

The point had nothing to do with saying DL is fine without or outside of ATL.

The point being DL's roots are in the South...
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

NW748i

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:41 am

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 39):
The point being DL's roots are in the South...

Consider Westmoreland's statement to which Anderson was responding: "We want to keep the family in Atlanta."  Yeah sure

Alitalia744

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:28 pm

Quoting NW748i (Reply 40):
Consider Westmoreland's statement to which Anderson was responding: "We want to keep the family in Atlanta."

Was considered. But thanks for the quote.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

SNCNtry32

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:58 pm

This UA+DL merger rumor seems to have more fuel then the NW+DL merger rumors. We have hedge funds and people with money wanting this merger.
Long Live Memphis!

LawnDart

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:10 pm

Quoting SNCntry32 (Reply 42):
We have hedge funds and people with money wanting this merger.

Well, I can't believe I'm actually replying to this thread...both DL and UA have denied any talks.

However, many hedge funds have money invested in many airlines. They all want to make a profit. They all "want a merger", as they believe that is the easiest way to make short-term gains on their investment.

So one hedge fund suggesting publicly that DL-UA should merge so that their holdings in both companies increase in value does not mean those two carriers are even contemplating a merger. Airlines use other metrics with which to propose a merger.

ikramerica

Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:49 pm

Quoting Davescj (Reply 28):
I didn't realize that. Good reality injection.

Which is not to say that gas prices will ever go lower than they were in the late 90s again, or as low as they were in the late 80s, but this idea that what goes up must stay up, or that it may drop but will find a new, higher level to fall to, it isn't historically accurate.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.