Topic Author

AA Eagle To Fly MIA-TLH

Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:22 am

Effective 3/2/08 American Eagle will begin 2x daily RJ MIA-TLH

MIA-TLH 0715-0845
MIA -TLH 1610-1740

TLH-MIA 0910-1030
TLH-MIA 1805-1925

I was expecting service to TLH, but I am surprised MIA-PNS did not come first as there would be lower start up costs for AA at PNS.

DL is also on the route with 2x daily RJ. Although they have the route established, AA and the MIA hub will really give them a run for their money.

Right now the fares in the market are really high. I remember Eagle pulling off the route (about 1996?). Air South was flying it for $25.00 each way which they promoted on billboards along Lejeune Road.

AJMIA
Lady it's a jet... not a kite.

panam330

RE: AA Eagle To Fly MIA-TLH

Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:37 am

One more Florida city connected to MIA on AE. I'm surprised they're not using the ATR, like on JAX. Is it out of range? Now if they can just add MIA-DAB  gnasher . I'd like it on an ERJ, please. Add that to JFK-DAB and ORD-DAB. Wishful thinking, eh?  Smile

MAH4546

Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:41 am

Awesome news, it's about time.

Quoting AJMIA (Thread starter):
DL is also on the route with 2x daily RJ. Although they have the route established, AA and the MIA hub will really give them a run for their money.

DL and AA should be able to co-exist quite well, especially, as you said, given Delta's establishment in the TLH market, not just from MIA, but MCO, TPA, and FLL. Also, small correction, but Delta Connection has three daily flights (except Saturdays), and is adding a fourth daily flights this winter.

I was expecting service to TLH, but I am surprised MIA-PNS did not come first as there would be lower start up costs for AA at PNS.

A daily MIA-PNS flight, with a schedule very similar to the new MIA-SAV flights, should be launching in 2008, as well as a daily MIA-VPS flight. They are also looking at 2x MIA-APF and 1x MIA-MTH.

Quoting PanAm330 (Reply 1):
I'm surprised they're not using the ATR, like on JAX. Is it out of range?

It is easily within the range, but this is strictly a business market with Delta Connection offering competing jet service. ATRs will not work here.

[Edited 2007-11-17 18:44:01]
a.

CitrusCritter

Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:52 am

AA and the MIA hub will really give them a run for their money.

They should co-exist fine. Delta has a lot of TLH originating passengers who also use their services to other cities in the state.

What I'd like to see is TLH-DCA on DL* or US*, or TLH-IAD on UA*. TLH and PNS are both in need of direct flights to Washington.

[Edited 2007-11-17 18:53:52]

MAH4546

Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:53 am

Quoting CitrusCritter (Reply 3):
AA and the MIA hub will really give them a run for their money.

They should co-exist fine. Delta has a lot of TLH originating passengers who also use their services to other cities in the state.

Correct. A lot of Tallahassee-based flyers are loyal to Delta and won't switch. Where you will see switching is with Miami-based flyers. This market is fine for two airlines, just like CO and DL compete just fine on MCO/TPA-TLH.

[Edited 2007-11-17 18:54:15]
a.

commavia

Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:02 am

Yeah!

That's awesome news - a route that, as others have said, was a long time coming. Now I'm holding my fingers crossed for 2x daily TLH-DFW. I can dream, can't I?!  Smile

doug

Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:27 am

Keep connecting the dots I wonder if AA will reconsider the 2 gate proposal for American Eagle in the north terminal with around 30 rj flights with more to come I just thought that 8-10 gates would be appropiate.

MAH4546

Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:32 am

Quoting Doug (Reply 6):
Keep connecting the dots I wonder if AA will reconsider the 2 gate proposal for American Eagle in the north terminal with around 30 rj flights with more to come I just thought that 8-10 gates would be appropiate.

The "gates" will work similar to the D35 gate, just without buses. They will still be able to park a good amount of RJs and ATRs at one time. So at any given time, more than a dozen planes can be parked and waiting.
a.

kingcavalier

Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:47 am

Eagle used to fly a SF3 3 times a day VPS-TLH-MIA back in 1991 when they opened VPS.
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness

N62NA

Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:50 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 7):
The "gates" will work similar to the D35 gate, just without buses.

Can you elaborate a bit on this? Are there plans for the AA RJs at MIA to be boarded from gates other than the current D35 gate? Will the pax have to walk to the plane? I suppose a jetway is too much to hope for!

MAH4546

Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:54 am

Quoting N62NA (Reply 9):
Can you elaborate a bit on this? Are there plans for the AA RJs at MIA to be boarded from gates other than the current D35 gate? Will the pax have to walk to the plane? I suppose a jetway is too much to hope for!

Pax will walk to the plane, just like Delta Connection ATRs board (or used to board?) at ATL.
a.

miaami

Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:50 am

Quoting N62NA (Reply 9):

Are they replacing Eagles D35 with something new? Its a horribly cramped space. Hopefully there are plans for a new area for Eagle to board out of.

doug

Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:13 am

The intial north terminal plans called for 20 American Eagle gates

AA 777

Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:15 am

Awesome news! Any chance on DAB service from MIA anytime soon Mark?
CRJ-700 FO

MAH4546

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:14 am

Quoting MiAAmi (Reply 11):
Are they replacing Eagles D35 with something new? Its a horribly cramped space. Hopefully there are plans for a new area for Eagle to board out of.

There will be two gates added at the end of the current D councourse. Each will operate just like D35, with multiple flights at each, except that instead of boarding a bus, passengers will be able to walk right onto the plane.

Quoting Doug (Reply 12):
The intial north terminal plans called for 20 American Eagle gates

Indeed. The design of the building, however, will allow AA to add-on regional jet gates if they decide to.

Quoting AA 777 (Reply 13):
Awesome news! Any chance on DAB service from MIA anytime soon Mark?

DAB and MLB were looked at about two years ago. The problem is that the ATRs are too big. If they had 19-30 seaters, then it would be an almost sure thing. That is also why they are iffy about returning to APF and MTH, but both are looking like good possibilities. Also, in addition to using ATRs to PNS and VPS, they are strongly considering daily ATR service to GPT and MOB.

Totally irrelevant to the topic, but another schedule change coming is that the MIA-XNA service is being entirely retimed to connect to/from South America redeyes, which I found interesting.
a.

pensacolaguy

Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:15 pm

I'm surprised also. AA doesn't currently fly into TLH. Where is the "official" press release? Nothing on the schedules at aa.com

CIDFlyer

Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:30 pm

Kind of surprised a little bit about this, I always thought we'd see TLH-DFW first before TLH-MIA, although good to see TLH in the AA network.

akizidy214

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:09 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 14):
Totally irrelevant to the topic, but another schedule change coming is that the MIA-XNA service is being entirely retimed to connect to/from South America redeyes, which I found interesting.

Can we say bombreco??
DCA

MAH4546

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:38 pm

Quoting Akizidy214 (Reply 17):
Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 14):

Can we say bombreco??

Possibly. The change in times was made at the request of Wal*Mart, obviously.
a.

FlyPNS1

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:56 pm

Quoting Pensacolaguy (Reply 15):
I'm surprised also. AA doesn't currently fly into TLH. Where is the "official" press release? Nothing on the schedules at aa.com

I'm not totally surprised as TLH has far stronger demand for service to South Florida than PNS. The official press release should come sometime this week. It hasn't been loaded on AA.com, but it's available through over GDS (e.g. Expedia has it).

Quoting CIDFlyer (Reply 16):
Kind of surprised a little bit about this, I always thought we'd see TLH-DFW first before TLH-MIA, although good to see TLH in the AA network.

TLH has much stronger demand for intra-state service, than they do western service. I'm not saying TLH-DFW will never happen, but doing MIA first makes sense. TLH-MIA should produce much better yields than TLH-DFW ever will.

MAH4546

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:22 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 19):
TLH has much stronger demand for intra-state service, than they do western service. I'm not saying TLH-DFW will never happen, but doing MIA first makes sense. TLH-MIA should produce much better yields than TLH-DFW ever will.

Definitely, though I think there is a very strong chance DFW-TLH and third MIA-TLH will arrive by the end of 2008 as long as the initial service does well. And who knows, maybe they'll throw in an ORD flight like VPS/ORD/MOB/GPT all got.
a.

LONGisland89

Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:12 pm

It would be great to see MIA-DAB!!

CitrusCritter

Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:33 pm

Other than DOT for a slot exception, who's a man got to bribe to get a DCA flight? Heck, forego the DOT and give me an IAD flight.

Flighty

Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:48 pm

Quoting CitrusCritter (Reply 3):
TLH and PNS are both in need of direct flights to Washington.

Didn't US serve PNS-DCA recently?

MAH4546

Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:48 pm

Quoting CitrusCritter (Reply 22):
Other than DOT for a slot exception, who's a man got to bribe to get a DCA flight? Heck, forego the DOT and give me an IAD flight.

I'm just shocked that DL or US haven't started this route. This is the fourth most populous state in the union! And it isn't like they need a DOT slot exception. They can fly the route with their current slots.

Who knows, maybe American Eagle will surprise us...
a.

ATLgaUSA

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:57 am

Are we ever going to see BHM-MIA?

CIDFlyer

Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:08 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 23):
Didn't US serve PNS-DCA recently?

I know they applied for the route, but I don't know what ever became about it. I don't think it was started.

elmothehobo

Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:15 am

It's too bad that American doesn't have a good Southeast hub a la Memphis, Atlanta or Charlotte, though they are doing a lot of good work connecting the Southeast to their network.

I'm waiting for American to chose another gateway to the Southeast that'll make it more convenient for travelers in the Northeast to get to the Southeast, right now most all itineraries from the Northeast require an out of the way connection at O'Hare, Dallas or Miami.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 24):
Who knows, maybe American Eagle will surprise us...

Yes, especially after DCA-XNA and DCA-BNA, though I say that those routes do fit Eagle's route network much better than a DCA-TLH service.

... or are you hinting at something?

akizidy214

Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:15 am

Quoting ATLgaUSA (Reply 25):

Strong possibility once the scope clause issue is worked out with the APA.

Quoting LONGisland89 (Reply 21):
It would be great to see MIA-DAB!!

This would also be a real nice additon the Flordia network. If it were to be started it would be an OW route. I reallu couldnt tell you why this route hasnt started yet there are plenty of ATR spares sitting idley in MIA.
DCA

CIDFlyer

Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:36 am

Quoting ElmoTheHobo (Reply 27):
It's too bad that American doesn't have a good Southeast hub a la Memphis, Atlanta or Charlotte, though they are doing a lot of good work connecting the Southeast to their network.

I'm waiting for American to chose another gateway to the Southeast that'll make it more convenient for travelers in the Northeast to get to the Southeast, right now most all itineraries from the Northeast require an out of the way connection at O'Hare, Dallas or Miami.

too bad they still didn't have the RDU hub for this purpose, geographically it was great for northeast to southeast connections. MIA is great for the O/D traffic, but out of the way as far as connections throughout the SE go. The RDU/Research Triangle area has grown significantly since the hub closure there over 10 years ago, I know they still keep a fairly good sized focus city operation there, I sometimes wonder if they would ever reinstate the hub there.

FlyPNS1

Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:36 am

Quoting CIDflyer (Reply 26):
I know they applied for the route, but I don't know what ever became about it. I don't think it was started.

When slots have come available at DCA, US has applied twice for DCA-PNS, but lost to other competing bids. Someday it will happen, but not fast enough.

UA is the best candidate to serve IAD-TLH/PNS, but since UA's presence in the south is weak. I'm not sure they want to open up new stations in TLH or PNS, just for 1 or 2 daily flights to IAD.

MAH4546

Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:36 am

Quoting ATLgaUSA (Reply 25):

Yes, we are.

Quoting ElmoTheHobo (Reply 27):
... or are you hinting at something?

No, I'm not. I know of no plans for AA to start TLH-DCA. Though if they served the combo MIA and DCA, they could become a favorite of politicians.

Quoting Akizidy214 (Reply 28):
This would also be a real nice additon the Flordia network. If it were to be started it would be an OW route. I reallu couldnt tell you why this route hasnt started yet there are plenty of ATR spares sitting idley in MIA.

The ATRs are way too big to send to DAB. If DAB had service to ORD or DFW, then it would make more sense since it wouldn't be as expensive to operate there. AA looked closely at DAB and MLB a few years ago and decided against it, though who knows, maybe they'll look back at the markets in the future. I think MIA-MLB has a much better chance, though, because there is a good amount of high-yielding traffic from Melbourne, and AA could time MIA-MLB flights into the Caribbean and Europe departure banks.

AA has a lot of spare ATRs, as you said, and they are going to start making use of it. I predict PNS next, and possibly MID.
a.

Flighty

Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:03 am

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 30):
DCA-PNS, but lost to other competing bids. Someday it will happen, but not fast enough.

Fair enough. Even though it is a smaller market, maybe DCA-TLH would have a larger chance of "political" success in the slot awards. Guessing so. Then again, US already has a lordly sum of slots at DCA... maybe they don't want to give US anything.

CitrusCritter

Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:16 am

Quoting CIDflyer (Reply 26):
I know they applied for the route, but I don't know what ever became about it.

US applied for PNS-DCA the last time the DOT awarded a slot exemption. FL won for their bid on ATL-DCA. Obviously the DOT prefers low-fare mainline service to more RJ service. It is just beyond me how TLH does not have a WAS flight though. DL could and should offer it. Heck, with DL's FF base here in TLH, they could run it to IAD and probably do fine. But for goodness sakes, DL runs a DCA-MLB flight, yet the state capital can't get a n/s to Washington? Arrgh.

When FL was here, they should have run a TLH-BWI flight. It probably would have helped them in gaining some following.

MAH4546

Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:19 am

Quoting CitrusCritter (Reply 33):
US applied for PNS-DCA the last time the DOT awarded a slot exemption. FL won for their bid on ATL-DCA. Obviously the DOT prefers low-fare mainline service to more RJ service.

They do, but that was likely not the primary factor here. US Airways holds 100+ slots at DCA. If they want to start PNS-DCA, all they have to do is reduce a current market, like PHL-DCA.

But for goodness sakes, DL runs a DCA-MLB flight, yet the state capital can't get a n/s to Washington?

That flight has been discontinued, and ran thanks to a government contract.

When FL was here, they should have run a TLH-BWI flight. It probably would have helped them in gaining some following.

Baltimore is not really an alternative for politicians going to the D.C. area, however. It might have worked, but it would likely not have won over government traffic.

[Edited 2007-11-18 19:21:37]
a.

CitrusCritter

Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:24 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 34):
Baltimore is not really an alternative for politicians going to the D.C. area, however. It might have worked, but it would likely not have won over government traffic.

Sure, DCA > BWI and DCA > IAD, but BWI > IAD. There's not really much difference if the person in question is renting a car/has a driver, and the public transportation options are better at BWI. It's a short Amtrak/MARC ride to Union Station a block from the Senate. IAD and BWI are not ideal, but either of them would be better than nothing.

FlyPNS1

Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:30 am

DL runs a DCA-MLB flight

Actually, DL cut this route not too long ago. I believe they used the slot to up BOS-DCA back to 7x daily.

It is just beyond me how TLH does not have a WAS flight though.

There isn' t as much traffic as you think. Many of the politicians going between Florida and DC, don't go to TLH. They go to their home districts (most of which are in South/Central Florida). Most of the political traffic generated by TLH are state politicians, hence why TLH has a good amount of intra-state service.

I'm not saying TLH couldn't support a flight to DC, but I think some overstate the traffic.

MAH4546

Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:37 am

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 36):

I'm not saying TLH couldn't support a flight to DC, but I think some overstate the traffic.

O&D is 125 daily to IAD/DCA, plus 43 to BWI. Definitley can handle a daily RJ, IMO, though you do bring up a true point.
a.

LXA340

Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:57 pm

btw: what's the longest flight American Ealge has and how long is it?

commavia

Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:06 pm

Quoting LXA340 (Reply 38):
btw: what's the longest flight American Ealge has and how long is it?

I believe it's XNA-LAX, 1371 mi, blocked at 3:30, on the CRJ700.

MAH4546

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:48 pm

Officially official:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...es/prnewswire/LAM09619112007-1.htm

Tallahassee media:

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs...le?AID=/20071119/BUSINESS/71119027

You have to love how TLH media called Miami the "nations largest hub."
a.

CIDFlyer

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:58 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 40):
Tallahassee media:

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs...le?AID=/20071119/BUSINESS/71119027

You have to love how TLH media called Miami the "nations largest hub."

I had to chuckle at that one! TLH has always been "one stop away from the world" via ATL. Don't know how they confused MIA with ATL.

AJMIA
Topic Author

Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:24 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 31):
The ATRs are way too big to send to DAB. If DAB had service to ORD or DFW, then it would make more sense since it wouldn't be as expensive to operate there. AA looked closely at DAB and MLB a few years ago and decided against it, though who knows, maybe they'll look back at the markets in the future. I think MIA-MLB has a much better chance, though, because there is a good amount of high-yielding traffic from Melbourne, and AA could time MIA-MLB flights into the Caribbean and Europe departure banks.

AA has a lot of spare ATRs, as you said, and they are going to start making use of it. I predict PNS next, and possibly MID.

So Florida Eagle service that once was but now is missing from MIA...

MIA-PBI = Short route and with only one daily mainline to DFW I doubt we will see it back.

MIA-DAB = Daytona is probably the biggest hole in Florida for AA. I think it could support mainline from DFW, or NYC as well.

MIA-APF = I know BA really wants this to return for connections. Might be worth it for European connections but the yield from domestic connections is probably too low.

MIA-MLB = It would be nice to see this route back. Hopefully it is just around the corner.

MIA-VRB = Vero has been a boom town. No commercial service at the moment and people are sick of driving to MCO and PBI.

MIA-MTH = Would it be worth it to open this station for one daily flight?

Mainline Upgrades...

MIA-TPA and MIA-MCO seem to be doing really well mainline. I wonder if JAX and NAS could work with mainline upgrades?

AJMIA

MAH4546

Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:16 am

Quoting AJMIA (Reply 42):

MIA-PBI = Short route and with only one daily mainline to DFW I doubt we will see it back.

PBI also has mainline to LGA and ORD during the winter. We won't see it back, because the ATRs are too big. If Eagle had 19-30 seat props in MIA, I bet AA would fly it. Tons of premium connecting traffic to Europe and the Caribbean.

MIA-DAB = Daytona is probably the biggest hole in Florida for AA. I think it could support mainline from DFW, or NYC as well.

Daytona Beach struggles to support air service as is. Mainline to Dallas would in no way possible be viable.

MIA-APF = I know BA really wants this to return for connections. Might be worth it for European connections but the yield from domestic connections is probably too low.

AA has been in talks with APF for 2x daily service.

MIA-MLB = It would be nice to see this route back. Hopefully it is just around the corner.

This could be a good route because the yield is great, and there is decent amount of international connections to be had.

MIA-VRB = Vero has been a boom town. No commercial service at the moment and people are sick of driving to MCO and PBI.

If AA got a resort contract, they'd fly it. Absent of that, unlikely.

MIA-MTH = Would it be worth it to open this station for one daily flight?

MTH service, IMO, is the most likely new station. The costs of opening a station in MTH would be low.

I wonder if JAX and NAS could work with mainline upgrades?

JAX-MIA will become RJs eventually, when they have the planes. ATRs are perfect for MIA-NAS. Hopefully AA will slowly creep up the frequency again. It's 10x daily now, it was 17x daily in 2002.
a.

CitrusCritter

Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:48 am

Any chance of seeing anything to PFN, GNV, or OCF? I'm surprised OCF hasn't gotten 3M service, though that could be because of it siphoning pax off the GNV flights. For kicks, any chance LAL will get anything (other than the SX rumors)?

MAH4546

Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:58 am

Quoting CitrusCritter (Reply 44):
Any chance of seeing anything to PFN, GNV, or OCF? I'm surprised OCF hasn't gotten 3M service, though that could be because of it siphoning pax off the GNV flights. For kicks, any chance LAL will get anything (other than the SX rumors)?

I would say no. PFN is close enough to VPS/PNS, that AA doesn't need to go there. A few years ago, AA was close at starting service to GNV - 1x daily to DFW and 2x to MIA. They were competing with Northwest for some incentives money. Northwest won out, and Continental Connection then came in with 3x daily Beech service to MIA (with no incentives). The Northwest service is since long-gone, but Continental Connection is still alive and doing well on MIA-GNV.

Hopefully though we'll see one or two more intra-Florida destinations chosen in 2008. It's not even '08 and AA already has two new destinations lined-up for MIA; TLH and ANU (ANU, 5w 738, starts 19Nov08).
a.

Azul320

Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:18 am

Interesting TLH-MIA. Is this really good news for TLH, or just more of the same? Is AA planning to gouge passengers with more egregiously high fares to "coexist" with DL?
Excuse me, while I kiss the sky

MAH4546

Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:39 am

Quoting Azul320 (Reply 46):
Interesting TLH-MIA. Is this really good news for TLH, or just more of the same? Is AA planning to gouge passengers with more egregiously high fares to "coexist" with DL?

Gouging? If it were gouging, then people wouldn't pay it. Prices in intra-Florida markets from TLH are high because the market supports it. Airlines aren't the bad guys just because they are charging what customers willingly pay for.

[Edited 2007-11-20 00:39:39]
a.

AJMIA
Topic Author

Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:15 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 43):
JAX-MIA will become RJs eventually, when they have the planes. ATRs are perfect for MIA-NAS. Hopefully AA will slowly creep up the frequency again. It's 10x daily now, it was 17x daily in 2002.

Why has AA drawn down MIA-NAS so much? The flights are packed. The standby lists are long and a lot of would be passengers are spilling over to UP.

I would love to see 2 or 3 daily 737s to JAX and 5 or 6 daily 737s over to NAS. That would free up the ATRs for othter routes in the Bahamas, Florida, Mexico (CZM seems to be doing very well) and maybe even GDT.

AJMIA

Azul320

Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:26 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 47):

I wouldn't pay what DL or Gulfstream asks for on that route so I drive up to Tallahassee from Miami 3 times a month, I am sure there are thousands just like me, waiting for WN to truly stimulate that market, haha.  rotfl 
Excuse me, while I kiss the sky