KevinSmith
Topic Author

Kentucky Aviation Thread

Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:18 am

Everyone else is starting their own thread and it's time the Blue Grass had one to call it's own. Break out your sweet or bourbon and lets talk a while.

Possible Discussions:
UPS future fleet and affect on SDF
Future of Delta, CVG, and other airlines at CVG
Blue Grass Airport-Pre and Post Comair
The airport built by the rich man just south of Lexington so he could get to his cancer treatments faster.
EKU Aviation Program
UK Aviation. Now if I get any Brits chiming in on this one I'll have their post deleted. Everybody knows what UK I'm talking about.
Learning to fly, but I ain't got wings.

Lexy

RE: Kentucky Aviation Thread

Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:55 am

Quoting KevinSmith (Thread starter):
The airport built by the rich man just south of Lexington so he could get to his cancer treatments faster.

You know, I lived in Lexington for a few years, worked heavily in the media there the whole time, and I don't recall what airport you are talking about south of town? Enlighten me here.

As for KLEX, I would love to see an AirTran or WN come into there. But I don't think the market is big enough and with SDF and CVG so close, it would be a hard sell possibly. I could see AirTran making a decent go of it with flights to Florida and ATL of course sometime in the future. WN is still a good distance away from that market though.

I am still surprised Allegiant or Skybus hasn't set up shop there. LEX has a decent crowd and there is a fairly ripe business market there in the city.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

b727fan

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:22 am

I travel to KY, fly mainly into LEX and sometimes SDF, a few times a year. I flew to LEX on CO just 2 weeks ago. I was surprised to sit in a Dash 8 instead of the the usual ERJ (connecting via CLE). I thought the airport was growing! Is DL the dominant career @ LEX?

KevinSmith
Topic Author

Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Quoting Lexy (Reply 1):
You know, I lived in Lexington for a few years, worked heavily in the media there the whole time, and I don't recall what airport you are talking about south of town? Enlighten me here.

It was a couple of years ago I was flying in CAP flight. We were flying just of Lexington down Nicholasville Rd. We came across an airfield with a decent sized concrete runway. The CAP pilot told me that it is a private airport built by a guy who had/has cancer. He had his own Challenger, IIRC, and he felt that the drive to LEX and associated time lost was too much. I remember thinking it made sense because I was driving down Nicholasvile Rd or some other road that runs south of Lexington and I saw an aircraft hangar and a Challenger jet no too far from the side of the road.

Quoting Lexy (Reply 1):
AirTran

Certainly!!! I would like that. I could get decent tickets to go watch the Cats and make a stop at Pazzo's too.

Quoting Lexy (Reply 1):
Allegiant

I'm sure their is a descent Orlando market their. Allegiant is doing OK at HTS so I certainly think they would work well in LEX. Lots of rich doctors horse folk. I think the biggest draw back people have to Allegiant is the Sanford operation and not MCO.

Quoting Lexy (Reply 1):
Skybus

I wonder of that is because Columbus is "close".

Lexy where in the media land did you work there?

Quoting B727fan (Reply 2):

The last time I flew commercial was CO EWR-LEX on a ERJ. I think they had to use a ERJ due to range concerns as opposed to a Dash-8. I've only flown Delta out Lexington once and it wasn't even Delta proper, it was Comair to CVG. Last time I was there I did notice a lot of DL activity for sure.

Actually I remember after we landed on that same CAP flight a DL 752 came in to pick up the Auburn football team. Auburn also had to two Citations there with AU painted on the tail.

Lexy

Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:25 pm

Quoting KevinSmith (Reply 3):
Lexy where in the media land did you work there?

Well, I worked for Cumulus Radio inside the Central Bank Tower downtown. Specifically, I worked for 590 WVLK along with (what used to be) Arrow 101.5, WVLK-FM, and Z-ROCK 103. I even did some work on (what used to be) US 102.

At 590 WVLK, I worked with the Kruser and Crew Show in the afternoons and produced Sue Wylie and other shows in the morning.

It was fun!!!

Delta is the main carrier at LEX with the only mainline flight into that airport. Having a metro of over 500,000 and a decent O&D, you would think there would be more to offer than just your standard hub flights. But there isn't. Still, that airport handles over 1,000,000 a year and that's not to bad considering SDF and CVG being so close. People are so used to paying out the butt at LEX that if a LCC came in, they would be a smash hit from the get-go with the right flights! Lexington, the city and metro, has ALOT and I mean ALOT of money! One of the wealthiest metros in the country.

KevinSmith
Topic Author

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:20 pm

Quoting Lexy (Reply 4):
Lexington, the city and metro, has ALOT and I mean ALOT of money!

Oh yes it does!!!! The area out but Southland Church and the Hamburg area is teaming with rich folk.

Thanks for the media info. I was a telecomm major so I had some dealing with the local media as part of class work.
Quoting Lexy (Reply 4):
People are so used to paying out the butt at LEX that if a LCC came in, they would be a smash hit from the get-go with the right flights!

I agree completely.

I did snag one heck of deal my senior at UK. $450 round trip to LHR over spring break.

What do you think the chances of UPS reconsidering their A380 decision?

[Edited 2007-11-18 12:23:05]

Lexy

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:39 pm

Quoting KevinSmith (Reply 5):
$450 round trip to LHR over spring break.

Dude, that's a steal!

Quoting KevinSmith (Reply 5):
What do you think the chances of UPS reconsidering their A380 decision?

Oh I think they will. They had a major hand in the development of it,so I don't see why at some point they don't order it outright.

I would love to see LEX extend its main runway along with extending the GA runway to around 8,000ft. That will keep the Compair accident from happening again. Extension of the main runway will enable the airport to operate west coast flights more easily and allow larger aircraft to operate from there with more ease. It already accomodates the occasional 757, 767, UAE 747's, and A300's but it needs to be longer and the airport authority knows that. Too bad the NIMBY's next to them don't understand it. Pursuit of an LCC should be tops for them though along with upgrades on some flights. For a city it's size, it should have more in the way of service and equipment offereings.

windstepper

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:39 pm

Everyone else is starting their own thread and it's time the Blue Grass had one to call it's own. Break out your sweet or bourbon and lets talk a while.

Possible Discussions:
UPS future fleet and affect on SDF
Future of Delta, CVG, and other airlines at CVG
EKU Aviation Program

ooohh. You forgot one of my favorites.

Will BWG ever have commecial service again???

Lexy

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:40 pm

Quoting Windstepper (Reply 7):
Will BWG ever have commecial service again???

No. BNA is too close. And because of that, it would be VERY expensive to fly into and out of BWG.

windstepper

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:42 pm

Quoting Lexy (Reply 8):
No. BNA is too close. And because of that, it would be VERY expensive to fly into and out of BWG

I agree. That is why I am still amazed at the number of people I know who live in BG think that Comair or someone like
that is "coming soon".

747fan

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:46 pm

Everyone else is starting their own thread and it's time the Blue Grass had one to call it's own.

Yes, I agree with you, although w/ the exception of DL @ CVG and UPS @ SDF, there isn't a whole lot to talk about from an aviation standpoint. But I'm so glad someone finally started a Kentucky Aviation Thread! Big grin

Quoting Lexy (Reply 1):
As for KLEX, I would love to see an AirTran or WN come into there. But I don't think the market is big enough and with SDF and CVG so close

Referring to FL, I don't think the O&D at LEX could support that many daily flights to ATL; they could possibly make MCO or another major Florida destination work, but it would also be basically competing against DL and ATL.

Regarding SDF, I don't think it could support FL entering the market, as they'd be competing against WN on Florida flights (they fly 2X daily to both TPA and MCO from Louisville), as well as the legacies. And like the LEX-ATL market, I don't think they'd be able to compete with DL, as DL has 7X daily flights between SDF and ATL, with 4 of them being mainline (one of them alternates between a MD-88 and 738, depending on the time of year). The other market FL would try would be SDF-MDW, which is obviously locked up by WN (and UA/AA to some extent).
In terms of B6 at SDF, I don't think that will happy anytime soon either (probably not ever unless they start a "midwest hub," which I don't see happening); the SDF-NYC market is well-covered w/ by 3X nonstop SDF-EWR on CO Express, 2X daily nonstop on US Express, and 2X daily nonstop on American Eagle. IAD-SDF might make sense, as there are only 2 daily flights to the DC area (2X daily DCA-SDF, US Express); however, I could see UA Express entering that market before B6.
By the way, F9 seems to be doing very well on their newish DEN-SDF flight (started in April), which has been upgraded to mainline (now a daily A318 and A319, from 2X E-170's on Republic).

The only real news at SDF on the UPS front is that 2 of their new 744's are in service (one entered in July, the other in September). I don't know when the remaining six will be delivered. I do know that the awesome sound of JT9D's at takeoff power will be missed (at least from aviation enthusiasts, definitely not from residents that live under the flight pattern - those things are loud), as UPS is gradually going to retire their 747 classics over the course of next year. They will all be gone by Januarly 2, 2009.

747fan

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:54 pm

In my previous post I forgot to discuss our beloved Blue Grass State's largest airport, the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport.  Wow!
I know some people think it is more of an "Ohio airport" since most of the population it serves is from Cincinnati rather than the surrounding northern Kentucky suburbs (although some people do drive up there from Louisville and Lexington for flights, even though its generally cheaper to fly out of SDF).

There really isn't much news on the CVG front, with the exception that the seasonal, summer-only CVG-AMS flights will go from a 3X weekly 767-300ER to a 1X daily 757. It will also probably go year-round. No, DL is NOT putting 757's on the transatlantic CVG flights (well, CDG and definitely FCO are too long anyways), they're just "right-sizing" the CVG-AMS flight. At least on here, I've heard that (w/ the exception of AMS) CVG's transatlantic routes are good performers in terms of profitability.

KevinSmith
Topic Author

Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:01 pm

Quoting 747fan (Reply 10):

Referring to FL, I don't think the O&D at LEX could support that many daily flights to ATL;

True a flight that terminated in ATL wouldn't get that much support. However ATL is FL hub, I'd imagine the money would be made with the connecting flights.

Lexy

Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:01 pm

It should be noted that OWB will start up their n/s to CVG here fairly soon for DL Connection. My condolences to the people that will be raped by the price gouging of that flight and subsequent connections at CVG. YUCK!

In any regards, it is service to OWB that is not there since Regions Air was shut down. Hard to believe that airport at one time served over three different scheduled passenger carriers AT ONCE! Now it does good to have just one subsidized by the government. What a shame. Owensboro is a nice town.

ATAIndy

Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:02 am

I flew to LEX on CO just 2 weeks ago. I was surprised to sit in a Dash 8 instead of the the usual ERJ (connecting via CLE).

Even the service out of IND to CLE dropped to a Dash 8. I don't think it is the fact that LEX isn't growing, it's that CLE is shrinking.
Boiler up! - Next flights: IND-MIA, MIA-IND

joeman

Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:00 am

Quoting ATAIndy (Reply 12):
Even the service out of IND to CLE dropped to a Dash 8. I don't think it is the fact that LEX isn't growing, it's that CLE is shrinking.

FYI: CLE is right sizing before a major CO expansion.

747fan

Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:09 am

I was surprised to sit in a Dash 8 instead of the the usual ERJ (connecting via CLE). I thought the airport was growing! Is DL the dominant career @ LEX?

Quoting ATAIndy (Reply 14):

Actually, I wouldn't consider the move from an ERJ to a Dash 8 a drop in this case, as the CO Express Dash 8's (operated by Commutair) are the new Q400's, which seat about 70. I know that some passengers have a certain dislike for flying on planes with the "spinny thingies" on the wings, but consider this an upgrade; the Q400 is a larger and nicer airplane than the ERJ. Now the Saab 340's NW Airlink (Mesaba) uses out of LEX to MEM are a different story...  Wink And while its an interesting flying experience, the B1900's that Midwest Express used to fly on SDF-MKE also contribute to the reason many passengers don't like planes that have the "spinny thingies" on the wings.  Smile

ATAIndy

Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:51 am

Quoting 747fan (Reply 16):
Actually, I wouldn't consider the move from an ERJ to a Dash 8 a drop in this case, as the CO Express Dash 8's (operated by Commutair) are the new Q400's, which seat about 70.

Are they Q400's now? This summer they were definitely -200's. Oh, by the way don't get me wrong, the Q400 is an amazing plane, I was comparing a -200 to an ERJ in reply 14.
Boiler up! - Next flights: IND-MIA, MIA-IND

gh123

Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:12 am

UK Aviation

I'm a Brit in Lexington however I won't give you a roasting but - UK Aviation? What Aviation? Apart from the hospital's Bell helicopter. Enlighten me please!

Quoting Lexy (Reply 1):
You know, I lived in Lexington for a few years, worked heavily in the media there the whole time, and I don't recall what airport you are talking about south of town? Enlighten me here

He is talking about RJ Corman's airfield. (http://www.rjcorman.com/aviation.htm)

Photos on the website

Here is a photo of the Challenger in Switzerland

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Rolf Wallner

And the Lear:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bill Shull

Other news is that a new FBO is currently being built at the airfield which will compete with TacAir.

Also, why was the US flag removed from the hanger next to the Emergency services station?? It was really useful when guaging the wind direction while taxying from the general aviation ramp. It wasn't even a high flag pole so that aspect was a non-factor.

The queen also came in 2007

[Edited 2007-11-18 19:14:04]

gh123

Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:15 am

Quoting 747fan (Reply 11):
our beloved Blue Grass State's largest airport, the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport

With the highest average ticket costs in the US is it really beloved?

I avoid it like the plague.

KevinSmith
Topic Author

Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:27 am

Quoting Gh123 (Reply 18):
UK Aviation? What Aviation? Apart from the hospital's Bell helicopter. Enlighten me please!

Errrrgh. Those things used to wake me up when I was a student living on Leader Ave.

As far as UKs aviation I meant more on what they are using to go to games. I remember them using a 737 to go basketball games. I also remember them using a private jet. I never learned anything more. I was hoping someone would know if they own their own.

Lexy

Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:46 am

They may own a SkyKing or two, but outside of that I doubt the University owns anything. As much as I HATE UT (University of Tennessee), they have 2 SkyKings that show up here in Nashville frequently.

That RJ Corman jet is nice. Would love to get a pic of that one myself! Corman has a big presence in south western Kentucky around Russellville with the massive Logan Aluminum factory there.

Is it Signature Flight that is moving to LEX?

Tornado82

Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:48 am

Quoting ATAIndy (Reply 14):

It's a CASM issue. CO got out of the business of flying RJ's with their high fuel burns on such short routes. It's making CO a more efficient airline.

Quoting 747fan (Reply 16):
as the CO Express Dash 8's (operated by Commutair) are the new Q400's, which seat about 70.

The CO Express Dash 8's at CLE are Q200's, but you are correct that they are Commutair's new (used) babies.

There are factory new Q400's on order, to operate out of EWR, operated by Colgan. I wouldn't expect to see them in LEX/SDF though based on range.

747fan

Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:56 pm

Quoting 747fan (Reply 11):
In my previous post I forgot to discuss our beloved Blue Grass State's largest airport

Quoting Gh123 (Reply 19):
With the highest average ticket costs in the US is it really beloved?
I avoid it like the plague.

No, I meant that the state was beloved, not the airport.  wink 
But despite the fact that I feel Cincinnati residents are gouged by this airport (or should I say DL), it is a very nice airport to travel through. It has among the best on-time performance of any hub, isn't too big (unlike ATL or ORD), and is overall a great airport to connect at. Concourse B is one of the nicer airport concourses I've been through in the U.S. and is probably the best concourse in DL's hub network. Really, CVG as a whole (DL's T3, at least) is probably DL's nicest hub; although I can't speak for SLC, as I've never been there.

gh123

Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:15 pm

Quoting KevinSmith (Reply 20):
As far as UKs aviation I meant more on what they are using to go to games. I remember them using a 737 to go basketball games. I also remember them using a private jet. I never learned anything more. I was hoping someone would know if they own their own.

Not sure what they use but I did see Tubby Smith get into a Citation Excell back in (around) April.

KevinSmith
Topic Author

Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:08 am

Is the ANG unit at SDF deployed right now?

iflyatldl

Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:57 am

Who is flying mainline into SDF besides DL, F9 and WN these days? Any AA or UA metal?
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

747fan

Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:45 am

Quoting Iflyatldl (Reply 26):
Who is flying mainline into SDF besides DL, F9 and WN these days? Any AA or UA metal?

NW flies DC-9's to MSP & DTW, and AA flies MD-80's to DFW. Back in the '90's, all the legacy carriers had mainline flights into SDF.

Quoting KevinSmith (Reply 25):
Is the ANG unit at SDF deployed right now?

I don't know, some of it might be. I have seen at least one or two C-130's a day lately taking off or landing. I saw one takeoff this evening.

Lexy

Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:50 am

Quoting Lexy (Reply 21):
They may own a SkyKing or two, but outside of that I doubt the University owns anything. As much as I HATE UT (University of Tennessee), they have 2 SkyKings that show up here in Nashville frequently.

I'm an idiot. I meant King Air, not "Sky King"! LOL!! I must have been thinking about something totally out in left field.

KevinSmith
Topic Author

Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:33 am

Quoting Lexy (Reply 28):

I'm an idiot. I meant King Air, not "Sky King"! LOL!! I must have been thinking about something totally out in left field.

Easy mistake to make.

The true last time I did any flying in KY was in August. I did a touch and go at Ashland Regional on my way to Tri-State from Asheville, NC. Ashland is certainly a nice town from the air. On our way to Ashland we flew right over top of the Grayson I64 exit.

KevinSmith
Topic Author

Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:31 pm

Does anyone know about the aviation programs at EKU? I know you can get several type ratings and such. Do they offer an A&P course or would that kind of thing be a t a tech school?

[Edited 2007-11-22 07:32:31]

flymatt2bermud

Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:54 am

Quoting Lexy (Reply 28):
I'm an idiot. I meant King Air, not "Sky King"!

I read your earlier post and I was thinking. I didn't know UT had any Cessna 320's or was that the skynight.

The State of Kentucky used to own a F27 Fairchild Turboprop that they would loan to various state University ball teams to travel to games.

My LEX story I'll never forget occurred just after midnight back in the late 70's. I had flown Caywood Ledford and Raph Hacker back from a basketball game. They had left the airport and I was putting the Beechcraft Baron into a hangar and heard two gunshots from uncomfortably close range. I scrambled into the cockpit for cover. The tower was still open late back then so I radioed the tower and asked that they send security to the hangar. LEX was experimenting with a common Police/Fire position back then which eventually was scrapped. But eventually a police car arrives and two Fire?Safety officers get out. I told them I heard gunshots and they said. "Yeah it was us we were shooting at jack rabbits behind the hangar." I am not sure what those rabbits had done but it must have been pretty bad.

Does anyone have any recollections from the period of the "Kentucky Conspiracy?"
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward" Leonardo Da Vinci

md11sdf

Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:34 pm

Recently, when President Bush came to the Louisville area (New Albany IN) to speak, the press charter was a JET BLUE A320. I was stunned to read that Frontier was (really??!) bringing "baby-busses" to SDF. In the year 2007 (almost '08) it sounds incredible, but it's true: You stand a better chance of seeing an Antonov AN-124 at SDF than an A320.
Since the mid 1990's, I have seen FIVE A320's on the ground here. During that same time period, I have seen EIGHT AN-124's, FIVE IL-76's and one AN-24 freighter. That would be absolutely INSANE almost anywhere else in the USA, but it is business as usual in Louisville KY.

SDF is (as 747fan will give a big "AMEN" to) a NWA DC-9 stronghold city. I have no doubt that eventually when the last DC-9 flight is scheduled (system wide) it will most likely be SDF-MSP. I had hoped rhat we might FINALLY get a daily A320's to replace the nines, but It looks like the new CRJ-900 will be taking it's place. Nice looking bird, but a REAL step down in cabin. I just don't understand it....

On the UPS front, one of my neighbors works in "aircraft aquisition" at UPS and tells me that at least another 10 MD-11's are scheduled for P to F conversion by SASCO in Singapore. Several ex-pax 747-400's are being converted by TAECO in Xiamen, China. They will retain the extended upper deck and look awesome in the UPS livery.

My Wife works for a company that has an office inside the WORLDPORT. She tells me that UPS is already hurting for lift this year for "CHRISTMAS-PEAK" and will be chartering a LOT of aircraft from other operators. I will be out there at the fences playing my cat-and-mouse game with the SDF Airport-Police with more vigor than ever!! I now have a good digital camera, so I can upload photos again in addition to the video I normally take.

Cheers! Terry Hale
MD-11SDF
LOUISVILLE, where your camera may as well be a stinger misslie to the Airport Police.

Lexy

Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:43 pm

Quoting Md11sdf (Reply 32):
I will be out there at the fences playing my cat-and-mouse game with the SDF Airport-Police with more vigor than ever!! I now have a good digital camera, so I can upload photos again in addition to the video I normally take.

I may make the drive up from here at BNA to get some of that. We should meet up if that's the case. You could show me some of the "spots" around the airport to get some decent pictures from!

As for the CR9's replacing some of the NW flights, I think that's common at their smaller stations right now. BNA see's A319's and A320's from them basically year round, but even one of our mainline flights was put on the Compass E175. We have yet to see the CR9 show up here, but if I was a betting man, I would bet once MEM gets more we'll see it here once or twice a day. Most of NW's movements here are mainline still thankfully!

747fan

Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:41 pm

SDF is (as 747fan will give a big "AMEN" to) a NWA DC-9 stronghold city. I have no doubt that eventually when the last DC-9 flight is scheduled (system wide) it will most likely be SDF-MSP. I had hoped rhat we might FINALLY get a daily A320's to replace the nines, but It looks like the new CRJ-900 will be taking it's place. Nice looking bird, but a REAL step down in cabin. I just don't understand it....

It is indeed a NWA DC-9 city, and has been for many, many years, but I wouldn't exactly consider it a stronghold. But its sure great hearing the distinctive fan whine and roar of those JT8D's, not to mention watching the exhaust trail created by those engines. There are currently 3 daily NW DC-9 flights (2X to DTW, 1X to MSP; there is only 2X daily on weekends, with 1X daily to both DTW and MSP). But like you said, I wouldn't in the least bit be surprised if the last scheduled DC-9 flight for NW is SDF-MSP or DTW. I know SDF-DTW was one of, if not the last scheduled flight for the Avro RJ85's. As for the DC-9 replacement, while the CR9's are a possibility, I'm thinking that the Compass E-175's will be one of the DC-9 replacements for SDF, as Compass is building a maintenance base here. I can't wait to spot from that parking lot...  biggrin  ...it will be just past the usual rotation point for aircraft taking off on 17R (about where the gear retraction sequence begins).

I was stunned to read that Frontier was (really??!) bringing "baby-busses" to SDF.

On some days the F9 DEN flights are still Republic E-170's - I think the Embraers are mainly on weekends.

She tells me that UPS is already hurting for lift this year for "CHRISTMAS-PEAK" and will be chartering a LOT of aircraft from other operators. I will be out there at the fences playing my cat-and-mouse game with the SDF Airport-Police with more vigor than ever!! I now have a good digital camera, so I can upload photos again in addition to the video I normally take.

bigthumbsup  I can't wait to see those DC-8-60's return (hopefully - I assume they will) to SDF!  spin 
I've never been question by any form of security or police officers when I spot. Here are the places I spot from that seem to be "safe":
The Chatauqua Airlines maintenance facility parking lot, on Crittenden Dr. right next to the stop sign (about halfway down 17R/35L - they rotate right in front of you, especially when they're going north on 35L)
The UPS Heavy Freight Facility parking lot off Crittenden Dr. right at its intersection with Grade Ln., which is basically next to the end of 17R (separated by a blast fence and roadway).
The main UPS employee lot at the end of 17L off Grade Ln., right next to the maintenance hangar.
Md11sdf, you've probably seen me spotting before (I drive a green Ford Contour with a UofL license plate) - I usually spot twice a week on weekday afternoon between about 3:45 and 5:00, right during the UPS late afternoon departure push. You'll see 2 of those beautiful 744's takeoff during this period to ANC, not to mention 2 or 3 747 classics and MD-11's.

KevinSmith
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:19 pm

Quoting 747fan (Reply 34):
bigthumbsup I can't wait to see those DC-8-60'

A yes, the flying pencils with wings.

Quoting 747fan (Reply 34):
I know SDF-DTW was one of, if not the last scheduled flight for the Avro RJ85's.

It's a shame that those things are gone. I enjoyed flying in them, well when they worked. Wasn't MX woes one of the main reason they were done away with?

747fan

Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:39 am

Quoting KevinSmith (Reply 35):
A yes, the flying pencils with wings.

bigthumbsup  From what I've heard on this forum, DC-8 will start retiring those within the next few years. After that (probably about 4 or 5 years), no more regularly scheduled classic airliners at SDF - well, with the exception of NW's DC-9's.  wink   old 

Quoting KevinSmith (Reply 35):
It's a shame that those things are gone. I enjoyed flying in them, well when they worked. Wasn't MX woes one of the main reason they were done away with?

I enjoyed watching their short, steep takeoff as well. They definitely defined what a STOL regional jet is!  up 
I don't know if maintenance had much to do with it, but I do believe one of the reasons for their demise (with Mesaba, at least) was due to their not so great operating economics (think 4 engines vs. 2 for all other RJ's).

Quoting Lexy (Reply 33):
I may make the drive up from here at BNA to get some of that. We should meet up if that's the case. You could show me some of the "spots" around the airport to get some decent pictures from!

I highly recommend doing that sometime between now and December 23 or 24, just make sure you do it on a weekday, with your best days being Mon.-Thu.; UPS does have a smaller outbound push on Sunday afternoons, but the Mon.-Thu. banks are much better, with more 747's. I did list some good locations in the LOOONG reply 34, but those are meant more for viewing for photography, as the planes go right overhead. Your best bet for photography is probably the Chatauqua Airlines maintenance hangar parking lot that I mentioned in reply 34, an abandoned road off Crittenden Dr. between Woodlawn Ave. and some chemical plants, and the UPS Worldport Expansion construction workers' lot off Crittenden Drive (borders the airport and 17R) about 1/2 mile south of the Chautauqua hangar. I believe those are the locations where many of the SDF photos on a.net were shot.

md11sdf

Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:15 am

As if on "Q", Monday afternoon around 2:00PM, a POLET FLIGHT Antonov 124 flew right past me. Our warehouse is located on Grade Lane about 1/2 mile south of the railroad tracks -- in line with RW 35L.
They parked it in the middle of the airport on the old bit of closed RW19, near RW29. That paint scheme is wild!!

We had the same ship here the last week of april 07. As last time, flightaware had it coming to SDF from RAF Britze Norton in the UK. Where it will go from here and when.....?

Terry
LOUISVILLE, where your camera may as well be a stinger misslie to the Airport Police.

747fan

Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:47 pm

Quoting Md11sdf (Reply 37):
As if on "Q", Monday afternoon around 2:00PM, a POLET FLIGHT Antonov 124 flew right past me. Our warehouse is located on Grade Lane about 1/2 mile south of the railroad tracks -- in line with RW 35L.
They parked it in the middle of the airport on the old bit of closed RW19, near RW29. That paint scheme is wild!!

We had the same ship here the last week of april 07. As last time, flightaware had it coming to SDF from RAF Britze Norton in the UK. Where it will go from here and when.....?

Interesting. And I was in that part of town at around 1:30-1:45PM - I just missed it!  banghead 
I don't see it on the scheduled departures list on flightaware, but I'll keep checking - I just might have to make the 20 minute drive over to SDF and see this big bird, hopefully I'll catch it takeoff.I'd love to hear the wondeful, noisy sound of those Lotarev turbofans! Big grin
Here's the link on flightaware: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/POT1022

Does anyone know why there's a POLET Antonov 124 in Louisville, KY?

kyair

Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:15 pm

Quoting KevinSmith (Reply 29):
The true last time I did any flying in KY was in August. I did a touch and go at Ashland Regional on my way to Tri-State from Asheville, NC. Ashland is certainly a nice town from the air. On our way to Ashland we flew right over top of the Grayson I64 exit.

Ashland is becoming a nicer town from the ground, too! I live in Russell, which is between Ashland and Ashland Regional - in fact, my house is under the flight path!

I grew up in Grayson...how strange and wonderful to see names/places I'm so familiar with on a.net!!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened - Dr. Seuss

747fan

Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:31 pm

Quoting Md11sdf (Reply 37):
Where it will go from here and when.....?

It departed SDF for Yuma, Arizona (YUM) at 10:36 this morning (12/4).
Here's the flightaware link: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/POT449