FCKC
Topic Author

Report/Rumor: Eastern Air Lines To Be Reborn With A319s

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:48 am

This month Aviation Letter writes

"Name and trademarks have been acquired by a group in Miami from the estate of the defunct airline.The new airline intends to begin operations in 2009 with A319s."

Hope they will paint their planes in the traditionnal EA cs.That will be cool !

zTagged

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:04 am

If it happens, that'd be nice. Until it does, it's simply a rumor, so don't get your hopes up.
Something awful.

MCIGuy

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:27 am

Quoting FCKC (Thread starter):

That would be cool. I always thought of their livery as AA only with better colors.
I'm not holding my breath though (ahem, Brannif, ahem). Big grin
Airliners.net Moderator Team

davescj

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:30 am

Does the livery follow with the estate? You''d think so, but it could have been bought seperately. No?

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

ba319-131

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:34 am

Quoting FCKC (Thread starter):

- I agree, that would be very nice to see, loved the EA c/s!
111,732,3,4,5,7,8,BBJ,741,742,743,744,752,762,763,764,772,77L,773,77W,L15,D10,30,40,AB3,AB6,A312.313,319,320,321,332,333

zululima

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:58 am

Fun news so far. Hopefully we can enjoy something better than the current Pan Am if it gets going. I guess if it does Airbus won't be quite as happy as they were the last time Eastern took deliveries, but they'll probably make more money on this deal.
I didn't get a 'Harumph' outta that guy!

StarCityFlyr

Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:38 pm

It may not be as far-fetched as it sounds. Starting a new service with an old name could be pretty good marketing. Eastern had a great name although I doubt many of the general flying public today remember it. I'm just an old man with a pretty good memory.

That being said, if a carrier can start today being well capitalized from the get-go, I'd say they stand a pretty good chance because they don't have the "baggage" (pardon the pun) of the legacy carriers in terms of labor strife, seniority issues, old planes and probably very tired management. They can cherry pick cities to serve without having necessarily to go the Philly's of the world and still make a buck or two.

I'd be very happy to see a new airframe with the old Eastern logo. If it is true, I wish them much luck!

columba

Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:15 pm

Quoting StarCityFlyr (Reply 13):
Starting a new service with an old name could be pretty good marketing. Eastern had a great name although I doubt many of the general flying public today remember it.

I have mixed feelings about this. Sure it is great to see the return of a once great name in aviation but what would these two companies have in common except for the logo and name ??
The concepts of the new Eastern has to be totally different and it has to struggle not only against the likes of Delta, United, US Airways, Continental but JetBlue, Virgin America, Spirit etc....
Eastern was once the airline of the US east coast but today I have the feeling that this place has been taken by JetBlue.
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

StarCityFlyr

Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:31 pm

What one could be seeing here is the birth of a new generation of airlines. Not unlike the birth of the first generation of Delta, American, United and Continental...the new generation of airlines has the chance to start fresh and being able to learn from some of the mis-steps of their older industry mates. Southwest, JetBlue, Virgin America, Spirit are the new kids on the block.

I believe the airline industry is cyclical in that with a finite number of passengers to go around and a finite amount of airspace in which to fly. There aren't too many costs that you can strip out of an airline and still remain profitable without having to increase fare costs to provide for the expenses of the airline itself. What may indeed happen is the names might remain the same but internal structure and service/cost/revenue management will be a whole new ballgame.

The challenge for the new carriers will be finding people who are passionate about the business and are willing to work for lower wages in return for a larger piece of the pie later on. Of course, that's what happened to the legacies and we see what they are up against today.

hiflyer

Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:10 pm

Heck...sounds to me like a future name change for Spirit is coming.....grin

Wink  Wink

AirframeAS

Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:16 pm

If this were true, how are they going to attempt to do bare metal on these 319's???
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

columba

Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:27 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 10):
If this were true, how are they going to attempt to do bare metal on these 319's???

Silver paint ? Also many EA planes were white (e.g. the A300s). Would be cool if the planes would have "whisper jet" painted on them.

mandala499

Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:39 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 10):

Try:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Danny Fritsche - Airplanespotters

Maybe do pseudometal like Virgin did... or other shades of "artificial metallic shade"...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Xu Zheng

*grin*

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

socalfive

RE: Eastern Reborns With A319s

Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:00 pm

Quoting Columba (Reply 7):
Eastern was once the airline of the US east coast but today I have the feeling that this place has been taken by JetBlue.

...and Airtran, Delta, USAirways, the Shuttles, and the ever growing Southwest.

srbmod

RE: Report/Rumor: Eastern Air Lines To Be Reborn With A319s

Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:20 pm

It will be interesting to see if this new version of Eastern is able to get off of the ground so to speak. While the original Eastern has been gone for nearly 17 years and there is a generation who probably never even knew about the airline, but to some, especially those who maybe worked for the airline, it may reopen old wounds. The labor bloodbath that helped to escalate the downfall of the airline (Eastern probably would still be flying today if the unions would not have scuttled the buyout by a group led by former MLB Commissioner Peter Ueberroth by refusing to negotiate with them.). When Eastern folded, the unions actually declared "victory" over Frank Lorenzo (even though he had been ousted from Eastern nearly a year earlier by the bankruptcy court). Somewhere down the line, you just know the media or a union (Probably someone like the IAM) will try to throw the new Eastern under the bus by trying to link it to the old Eastern and invoke Lorenzo's name in the process.

As for the livery, I've pulled a few from MAP that I like:

Modified Airliner Photos:
Design ©
Template © Ryan Powers

Modified Airliner Photos:
Design © Cheetajet
Template © Melissa

I may try my hand at a design or two.

September11

Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:28 pm

Resurrection of Eastern Airlines? That means same airline but new planes, new people, and new customers. If this rumor is 100% accurate, they have my full support. I must research for more details before I buy this rumor.
Airliners.net of the Future

717-200

Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:47 pm

Quoting Hiflyer (Reply 9):
Heck...sounds to me like a future name change for Spirit is coming.....grin

Sounds good to me. Either one of those MAP liveries look 110% better than the "toilet bowl" cleaner that Spirit has introduced recently. The retro 1970's white top "hockey stick" livery looks especially good on the A319. Go new EA!
72S 733 734 735 73G 738 742 752 763 E190 M82 M83

comorin

Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:59 pm

Think the ghosts from EA 401 will be back?

FlyPIJets

Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:25 pm

As crowded as the US domestic airline biz is, I would think there might be some place for a new EA. Embrace the 70's Go-Go image, bring back the hockey stick, the Wings of Man and Ionosphere Lounge. flight attendants in retro uniforms. Gates decorated in the two-tone blue + white (tulip chairs if you can find them) .

Then use a hybrid WN model - very reasonable walk-up fares, great excess inventory fares, point to point. Then add the new, great IFE, BOB (or B-on-line), business class. But charge for the value added services. then start looking at Latin America + Open Skies Europe -

I really think the world would embrace a great service airline that harkens to a younger time, but, that is accessible to all.

Well, I wish, anyway.

(does the hockey stick look better on a T-tail?)
Rex Kramer: Get that finger out of your ear! You don't know where that finger's been!

Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:29 pm

Quoting StarCityFlyr (Reply 6):
Starting a new service with an old name could be pretty good marketing. Eastern had a great name although I doubt many of the general flying public today remember it.

I dunno about that. I have a pretty good memory too, and the EA name was seriously bad. I'm not just talking the Lorenzo years, either; from pre-deregulation all the way through the 80s, most of our experiences with EA were unreliable aircraft (and general operation), inconsistent service, and in general a lack of visible effort on the part of the employees. There were exceptions, of course. I remember one pilot, some Captain Moriarty, who banked the 727-200 in both directions so both sides of the plane could see the Daytona Speedway we were directly overflying.  Silly But that was the exception, not the rule, and the overall association with the name is definitely negative.

Quoting Columba (Reply 11):

Silver paint ? Also many EA planes were white (e.g. the A300s).

Actually their planes were all white up to a point, then when they switched to silver the A300s were gray:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andy Pope

7 hours aint long-haul

FlyPIJets

Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:37 pm

Quoting 3201 (Reply 19):
I dunno about that. I have a pretty good memory too, and the EA name was seriously bad.

Time heals old wounds. Generally, by now any way, people romanticize about EA - they were such a powerhouse of the regulated era. I think it is possible to draw on that marketing angle. They'll be plenty of detractors, but, life is full of those anyway.

In reality, it is about a business plan - and - that is going to be tough - but start ups have the advantage of new planes and new work force.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the airline biz, from this point forward, always a a group of start up airlines. They may come and go, but, there will always be a group of noobs.
Rex Kramer: Get that finger out of your ear! You don't know where that finger's been!

727forever

Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:19 pm

EA is still alive in FL. It is basically the FL ATL operation with 717s and 737s instead of DC-9s and 727s. It is run my former EA management with the senior pilots even being EA pilots who crossed the line. The wounds are still there for many and in my opinion EA had it's day. Let Eddies dream continue sleeping.

727forever
727forever

FWAERJ

RE: Report/Rumor: Eastern Air Lines To Be Reborn W

Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:36 pm

Quoting FlyPIJets (Reply 18):
As crowded as the US domestic airline biz is, I would think there might be some place for a new EA. Embrace the 70's Go-Go image, bring back the hockey stick, the Wings of Man and Ionosphere Lounge. flight attendants in retro uniforms. Gates decorated in the two-tone blue + white (tulip chairs if you can find them) .

Turns out Herman Miller is making those tulip chairs again (only in recyclable plastic instead of fiberglass this time), and blue and white are available colors! And since they make airport seating, it probably wouldn't cost them much to make them airport-style.

http://www.hermanmiller.com/CDA/SSA/...oduct/1,1592,a10-c440-p175,00.html

Still, I would love to see a "new Eastern", complete with the hockey stick livery. But where would the hub be, or would it be P2P? There's so many congested hub airports on the East Coast...

[Edited 2007-11-18 09:38:22]
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

PanAm747

Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:43 pm

Quote:
The concepts of the new Eastern has to be totally different and it has to struggle not only against the likes of Delta, United, US Airways, Continental but JetBlue, Virgin America, Spirit etc....

Very true, but there are success stories out there:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank C. Duarte Jr.
View Large View Medium

Photo © Aaron Mandolesi

If this new Eastern Airlines can find its niche, then more power to it!!
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

FATFlyer

Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:20 pm

Quoting StarCityFlyr (Reply 8):
Southwest, JetBlue, Virgin America, Spirit are the new kids on the block.

Southwest has been flying for 36 years and it is a new kid??  confused  Maybe its a second generation vs the third generation of the others but a new kid, wow then that makes me a teenager.  Wink
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

F9Animal

Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:30 pm

I am all for it! I would love to see the name Eastern in the air again. While so many have made comments about Pan Am, and how awful they are, you have to admit.......... When you see that 727 in Pan Am colors, you get the tingles all over.
I Am A Different Animal!!

steeler83

Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:30 pm

It would be very nice if this turns out to be true. I vaguely remember Eastern. I was only in either Kindergarten or 1st grade when they went belly up...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

n318ea

Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:44 pm

I'm going to dig out my old papers but as I remember it was Lorenzo whom drove Ueberroth away. We were willing to take almost anything to get rid of Lorenzo, Bakes and Co. I can't see a market they could penetrate today to become viable. The hub and spoke system would kill any chance of them making a go of it. How can you compete for the business traffic when you are fighting the rewards programs? It will be interesting to see if Virgin America can make it. The unions should drop dead. Fool me once ..........
The new "Eastern" should remain a memory!
Red Red Red Red Red Neck!

deltal1011man

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:07 pm

Quoting Columba (Reply 7):
I have the feeling that this place has been taken by JetBlue.

and i have a feeling that the big D in ATL would say your way off.....(they are the biggest east cost carrier)
New airliners.net web site sucks....
Also the mods want to kill free speech and prevent people from saying things like the above. Better say nothing about awesomeness for this place or else!

ebj1248650

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:28 pm

Quoting StarCityFlyr (Reply 6):
It may not be as far-fetched as it sounds. Starting a new service with an old name could be pretty good marketing. Eastern had a great name although I doubt many of the general flying public today remember it. I'm just an old man with a pretty good memory.

There are still a lot of us out here who remember Eastern Airlines. I can remember their Connies!
Dare to dream; dream big!

columba

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:33 pm

Quoting DeltaL1011man (Reply 28):
and i have a feeling that the big D in ATL would say your way off.....(they are the biggest east cost carrier)

I did not mean biggest but the prefered airline, when I was in the US most people I met told me that they prefered airline is Jetblue. DL is bigger since it is an international carrier but for domestic flights out of the NY area I believe Jetblue is the airline most people prefer.

OB1504

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:45 pm

Quoting Mandala499 (Reply 12):
Maybe do pseudometal like Virgin did... or other shades of "artificial metallic shade"...

checkmark 

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 22):
Still, I would love to see a "new Eastern", complete with the hockey stick livery. But where would the hub be, or would it be P2P? There's so many congested hub airports on the East Coast...

The thread starter says the name is being purchased by a group in Miami. It's about time MIA had a quality alternative to AA.

PavlovsDog

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:46 pm

Are they going to be unionized?

Miami could certainly use some competition. They could do very well if they choose their routes carefully and don't go too far under AA's fares.

MAH4546

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:59 pm

There has been a few rumours circulating in Miami as of late. Word is that the investors want to create a Virgin America-esque airline, base at MIA, and aim at the Miami-Latin America/Caribbean market. Basically, think Spirit with free soda, first class, and your standard baggage allowance.

I doubt they ever get off the ground, but if they do, they can succeed at MIA if they don't heavily undercut AA's fares, which won't get AA as upset.

[Edited 2007-11-18 12:03:44]
a.

Rbgso

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:29 pm

Cool news. Now if we can just get the Pan Am name back to an owner with some level of respectability.....

Viscount724

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:42 pm

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 23):

I wouldn't call the current Frontier a major success. It's lost money every year for the past 5 or 6 years except 2003 if memory correct.

MAH4546

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:50 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 35):

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 23):

I wouldn't call the current Frontier a major success. It's lost money every year for the past 5 or 6 years except 2003 if memory correct.

Success compared to others, and despite losing money, they haver certainly remained stable and found a solid hub. They have definitely not been successful in any attempts to expand outside of Denver, though. That's a huge problem.
a.

FlyPIJets

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:02 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 33):
I doubt they ever get off the ground, but if they do, they can succeed at MIA if they don't heavily undercut AA's fares, which won't get AA as upset.

Don't freak out AA - hey JI lived peaceably with AA @ RDU for a while. completely different situation, but, don't freak out AA. Don't be a Skybus, and play to what people remember as EA.

I think it could completely out do Virgin America.

Hey, and if former EA employees are ill to the scheme - don't hire any.

I want an Ionosphere club back. I want the hockey stick back. Bring back the Wings of Man.

"If you had wings, had wings, had wings..."

See it's cool  goodvibes 

FlyPIJets

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:06 pm

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 22):
Turns out Herman Miller is making those tulip chairs again (only in recyclable plastic instead of fiberglass this time), and blue and white are available colors! And since they make airport seating, it probably wouldn't cost them much to make them airport-style.

http://www.hermanmiller.com/CDA/SSA/...oduct/1,1592,a10-c440-p175,00.html

Very cool, very cool indeed.

7e72004

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:15 pm

Better get a restraining order against Frank Lorenzo if Eastern does take to the skies again  Big grin
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

md90fan

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:50 pm

It'd be good news if they could execute this properly, Miami definetly has room for a 3rd major carrier, IMO.
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

AirframeAS

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:01 pm

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 25):
I am all for it! I would love to see the name Eastern in the air again.

checkmark  When EA was around, I wanted to fly on them and hoped that one day I would. My sister was fortunate enough to fly them to Disneyworld 1989 shortly before EA went defunct. But then again, I was only a kid. I remember being jealous.....

If EA makes a comeback, I support them 100%. Keep Lorenzo off their planes and blacklist him!!!!! Grrrrrr!!!!!!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

OzarkD9S

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:01 pm

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 40):

It'd be good news if they could execute this properly, Miami definetly has room for a 3rd major carrier, IMO.

Not trying to be a smartass, but besides AA, whom would you consider a major player at MIA?
Next up: STL-CVG-MKE-MSP-STL.

MSYPI7185

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:12 pm

I have very mixed emotions on this. It would be nice to see them back, but a part of me would like to see Eastern RIP.
I began working in the industry when PA, DL, EA, AA, TW, CO & BN were the big boys. That is a time when things were completely different than what things are today and even the airlines that are still in operation are not the same as they were then either.

If/When consolidation occurs with the major carriers that exist today, then I believe there will be a great opportunity for a new Eastern to emerge and compete successfully. As with most mergers routes, aircraft and even hubs are either downsized or downright dismantled/shed. If EA were to return, if they are going to be operating like the current PA then I do not think they should even bother.

I am reminded of they saying " You can go back to yesterday", but looking at the industry today (esp. service levels) I would go back in a heartbeat if I could.

I know this of off topic, but I imagine what PI could have been if not for the US merger.

steeler83

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:39 pm

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 42):
Not trying to be a smartass, but besides AA, whom would you consider a major player at MIA?

FL maybe? I know they serve both FLL and MIA, and I know that FLL is a focus city for FL.
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

md90fan

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:48 pm

I wasn't referring to the airport itself, but anyways Spirit up the road at FLL.

[Edited 2007-11-18 15:10:51]
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

MAH4546

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:50 pm

Avianca, Grupo TACA, and LAN Group, at least in terms of their extensive international operations. And maybe soon, Virgin America.
a.

jeffrey1970

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:52 pm

I think it would be a bad idea. I say this even though I loved Eastern. First of all, bringing back old airline names has been tried before and it has never worked. The former employees for Braniff tried it, and it has been tried with Pan Am. Given Pan Am is still around, but barley. Plus, we must remember that while many of us airline fans have fond memories of Eastern, the general paying public probably doesn't. After all when Eastern went bye-bye they did not have a lot of fans.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

JGPH1A

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:54 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 46):
Avianca,

Really ? IIRC they can't have more than 4 or 5 flights per day out of MIA at best. Does that qualify as "major player" ?
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

7e72004

Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:13 pm

Using old airline names "has never worked?" WHat about Frontier? Midway? (even though they are not around, they had a pretty good run) WHile there may not be many successes of using old airline names, there are some  Smile
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos