mozart

Languages Spoken On Airlines In Canada

Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:41 am

Coming from a multi-language country myself (Switzerland) I was wondering how passenger announcements are handled in Canada. Is it

1. English and French on every flight? (would be weird on some commuter flights within English-speaking provinces)
2. English and French on all longer flights, e.g. transcontinental?
3. English and French only on flights going to a (partly) French-speaking province (which ones would that be)?
4. English and French only on flights to Québec?
5. Do all airlines operate bilingually, or only Air Canada?
6. Are FAs required to be bilingual, or only those of certain airlines?
7. Are there French-speaking airlines (i.e. where the operating language is French, and English is used but more like a "foreign" language)?

I assume that ATC is English-only all across Canada, right?

AnsettB727

RE: Languages Spoken On Airlines In Canada

Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:49 am

Great question! I've only flown AC from Europe, Australia and the States, but every time all announcements were made in English first, then French. Most of them today are obviously pre-records/video presentations, however individual ad hoc announcements were also done in both languages.

I know many, probably mostly Canadians, won't agree with me, but I find this an important recognition of culture and language. It's probably fair to say that it isn't necessary, but the fact that one language isn't taking precedence over another is important to me.

It's the same with Welsh 1st language speakers: they can all speak English, but why neglect thousands of years of culture and linguistic development?

DH8PU

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:46 am

1 & 2. English and French should be spoken on every Air Canada flight regardless of length, including those in "English" Provinces, YYC - YEG for example. You would be surprised how many flights have french speaking pax onboard.

3. On any flight going into Quebec, announcements are to be made in French first then English. To comply with the law 101 in Quebec

5 & 6. Air Canada is the only airline that is forced to be bilingual due to the Air Canada act, most other airlines however due have mainly bilingual crews.

7. There are airlines like Air Creebec who operate in a mainly french environment their F/As are usually tri-lingual, English, French and Cree.

And French is widely used by ATC in Quebec, a source of annoyance to English speaking pilots who operate in Quebec.

Any more questions feel free to ask!
Cabin secure and doors checked

acidradio
Crew

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:16 am

Although I don't work in Canada, I remember a gate agent telling me a funny concept about multilingual passengers, or more directly, multilingual passengers who pretend they do not understand English in order to get something out of us. Once in a while, a passenger will pretend to only understand Spanish and not English. It is obvious that they should speak English - they present a drivers license from a US state and/or a US passport. They feign lack of English until someone says "well if you don't get to your gate on time and take this seat, we will cancel your seat and hand it to someone else." All of a sudden, they start to understand English quite well right that instant.

I get the feeling that the same goes for French speakers in Canada. Of course I will get flamed for this one. Disclaimer - I dated a Canadian for many years, I take this perspective from her and others I knew from Canada.
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

GrahamHill

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:51 am

Quoting Acidradio (Reply 3):
I get the feeling that the same goes for French speakers in Canada

Canada has two official languages: French and English. Therefore I find it normal that French speakers can speak French with Air Canada's crew members  Smile
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

debonair

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:35 pm

Quoting Mozart (Thread starter):
Coming from a multi-language country myself (Switzerland)

Back to you; whats language is spoken onboard in your country by Swiss, Edelweiss etc.?

German, French, Italian, Romansh, Englisch- must be a VERY long safety demo...  bigthumbsup 

Coal

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:47 pm

Quoting Debonair (Reply 5):
Back to you; whats language is spoken onboard in your country by Swiss, Edelweiss etc.?

German, French, Italian, Romansh, Englisch- must be a VERY long safety demo...

Interesting question: I just flew LX SIN-BKK-SIN. On the leg to Bangkok the crew announcements were made first in English, then in German, then in French, then in Mandarin. There was only one announcement (on arrival) made in Italian, which was done between the French and Mandarin announcements.

On the leg back to Singapore, most annoucements were made first in English, then in German, then in French, then in Thai, with the last announcement also including Italian between French and Thai. No Romansch announcements were made.

I guess the reason why the announcements had German preceding French is because the flight originates in Zurich, not in Geneva. Wonder if it would be the other way round if it originated in GVA?

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: MI RGN-SIN | SQ SIN-RGN-SIN | CX SIN-HKG-PVG | SQ PVG-SIN

stylo777

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:48 pm

usually when I flew LX the annoucements were first in English, then French and German.

ktachiya

Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:10 pm

What was interesting is that when I flew AC out of YVR to YEG and another time to YYC, there were announcements made in Japanese. I was suprised at this.
Flown on: DC-10-30, B747-200B, B747-300, B747-300SR, B747-400, B747-400D, B767-300, B777-200, B777-200ER, B777-300

matt

Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:36 pm

In terms of government regulations, all airlines in Canada must have their safety briefing done in English and French.

As for service in official languages, here is the rule (applies only to AC):

Services are to be provided in both official languages on Air Canada routes that start or finish at airports serving the National Capital Region, Montreal and Moncton or that have stopovers at the same airports; as well, routes that start and finish at airports located in the following three provinces: Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick.

Of course, AC offers bilingual services beyond those routes, and as mentionned offers service in other languages as well.
Next flights: YQM-YOW-YOW / YQM-YYZ-CPH-YYZ-YQM / YQM-YUL-LYS-BRU-YUL-YQM / YQM-PUJ-YQM

LXA340

Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:49 pm

Quoting Stylo777 (Reply 7):
usually when I flew LX the annoucements were first in English, then French and German.

It's quite random between english or german to be anounced first but never french usually. maybe on flights to from GVA. Nevertheless I noticed lately on some flights in or to ZRH crews don't even bother to make french anoucments anymore only English and German.

Regarding AC do all pursers speak french? I was on a flight from YYZ to LGA a couple of years ago and the french anoucment was made by a normal FA who was from quebec. Is there no regulation at AC that all Pursers need to speak french, however there must be at least one crew member on each flight that speaks french inorder to make anoucments in french?

mozart

Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:28 pm

Swiss on shorthaul flights: usually French is used first on flights to/from Paris CDG. I assume it's the same for Nice, Bruxelles and Luxembourg.

On other shorthaul routes, for instance between Zurich and Germany, they only make announcements in French if they know that there is a French speaker on board (the FAs may know because they have been greated in French or somebody asked for a French-speaking newspaper).

Quoting DH8PU (Reply 2):
1 & 2. English and French should be spoken on every Air Canada flight regardless of length, including those in "English" Provinces, YYC - YEG for example. You would be surprised how many flights have french speaking pax onboard.

This I find interesting. But how is it done: do they make announcements in French on every "English province" flight, or only like LX on those flights where they know that French speakers are on board? BTW, do Canadian airlines carry French-speaking newspapers/magazines on all routes?

chrisa330

Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:42 pm

Quoting Mozart (Reply 11):
But how is it done: do they make announcements in French on every "English province" flight,

It is a Canadian Government requirement that annoucements are made in both English and French regardless of passengers on board. On many AC Jazz flights, French annoucements are prerecorded as they are still building their bilingual workforce.

In my experience, French newpapers are only offered on flights to/from Quebec, however they may be offered on other flights if they were previously boarded for another flight.

pnwtraveler

Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:54 pm

It is Canadian law dating back to when Air Canada was a crown corporation that both languages always be represented on every flight. As has been pointed out above, Air Canada is the only airline that this is required of. Most flight attendants, but not all speak some French. If a flight attendant has another language and there are people on that flight (ie. a tour or a lot of connecting passengers to a particular country) then an announcement may be made in that particular language. There are a high volume of Japanese tourists to Banff and Jaspar so there are times when Japanese is used. I have heard announcements in Chinese when a YYZ to YVR flight was connecting on to a flight to China and there were a fair number of non English speaking people on the flight.

longhauler

Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:13 pm

Air Canada actively encourages its employees to speak, learn and use both official languages of Canada. This even goes as far as to hold French language lessons at various points around the country, and allow employees to attend. I am not sure about other departments, but Flight Operations employees, (pilots, training, testing and support staff) will even be released from duty to attend these classes and receive full flying pay.

Quoting Ktachiya (Reply 8):
What was interesting is that when I flew AC out of YVR to YEG and another time to YYC, there were announcements made in Japanese. I was surprised at this.

There are many route languages that will have Flight Attendants assigned to satisfy the demand. As stated above, it may not always make sense, however, with the tremendous numbers of Asian passengers travelling with us around the country during the summer, you may well hear announcements you were not expecting. Much like you will hear Japanese announcements on YYG flights! Further, with the number of connections, it is not uncommon to have Spanish and Portuguese announcements on MIA flights.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Olympus69

Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:50 pm

Quoting DH8PU (Reply 2):
And French is widely used by ATC in Quebec, a source of annoyance to English speaking pilots who operate in Quebec

I was at YUL a week ago, my first time there with a scanner, and I was surprised to hear a fair amount of French spoken by ATC. I didn't know it was legal.

rikkus67

Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:53 pm

On Canada's #2 airline, Westjet, they originally did their safety announcements in English. 11 years later (and a now national route system), all safety announcements are done in English, with a taped French version played right afterward. I am not sure if they have started using bilingual flight attendants to do announcements, but for hiring they now have a preference for biligual speaking applicants.
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

flyb

Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:56 pm

Although I don't work in Canada, I remember a gate agent telling me a funny concept about multilingual passengers, or more directly, multilingual passengers who pretend they do not understand English in order to get something out of us. Once in a while, a passenger will pretend to only understand Spanish and not English. It is obvious that they should speak English - they present a drivers license from a US state and/or a US passport. They feign lack of English until someone says "well if you don't get to your gate on time and take this seat, we will cancel your seat and hand it to someone else." All of a sudden, they start to understand English quite well right that instant.

I get the feeling that the same goes for French speakers in Canada. Of course I will get flamed for this one. Disclaimer - I dated a Canadian for many years, I take this perspective from her and others I knew from Canada.

Like stated, this is not the the general prospective. Canada is bi-lingual, unlike the United States. If we took the attitude you just stated, it would be offensive.

rikkus67

Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:11 pm

Quoting Flyb (Reply 17):

In general, most francophones in Canada are bilingual. You will find this to a lesser degree in rural areas, and more so in urban areas.
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

chase

Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:44 pm

I was on DL CVG-YUL a couple years back, and was surprised that the announcements were made in English only. Is this the norm, or did my crew "forget"?

northstardc4m

Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:57 pm

US Airlines don't do announcements in French, nor are they required to when arriving in Canada. Quebec can't legislate regulations to them...
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

GrahamHill

Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:06 pm

Quoting Chase (Reply 19):
I was on DL CVG-YUL a couple years back, and was surprised that the announcements were made in English only. Is this the norm, or did my crew "forget"?

Well, a company should speak in the native language of the country it's coming from, as well as English. DL is an American-base company, so they are not required to speak in French if they fly to Quebec. I remember flying JL returning to Paris from Tokyo, and the crew never spoke in French. Only Japanese and English.

yowza

Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:12 pm

What was interesting is that when I flew AC out of YVR to YEG and another time to YYC, there were announcements made in Japanese. I was suprised at this.

This is not uncommon. A lot of Japanese tourists come to northwestern Canada to experience the northern lights. They are flown in in groups organized by TAs. After flying into Canada they head to YEG/YYC for flights up north so this is primarily for their benefit.

YOWza

EWRCabincrew

Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:19 pm

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 20):
US Airlines don't do announcements in French

US carriers are only required to do safety related announcements in English. Any other language is a courtesy (if they are done at all or available).
You can't cure stupid

threepoint

Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:25 pm

Quoting LXA340 (Reply 10):
Regarding AC do all pursers speak french?

I doubt it, nor do I believe the hiring requirements mandate they do (recognizing a second language is almost a must-have for applicants). French is of course a preference, but Punjabi, Mandarin, Cantonese and a host of other languages are much more useful on certain routes.

Quoting Rikkus67 (Reply 16):
I am not sure if they have started using bilingual flight attendants to do announcements

They have. And often the French announcements will be spoken live, not recorded.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

ac888yow

Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:26 pm

Quoting DH8PU (Reply 2):
And French is widely used by ATC in Quebec, a source of annoyance to English speaking pilots who operate in Quebec.

It's not just in Quebec. Here in Ottawa, pilots often communicate in French and all levels of ATC (Terminal, Tower, Ground, Clearance, etc.) always comply.

I might be mistaken but I think there are NavCan rules stating that ATC serving Ottawa (and perhaps even Toronto) must be able to communicate in both English and French.

jfidler

Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:24 pm

I flew AC DCA-YYZ a few years ago. It was on an RJ of some type, so there was only one FA. She made the announcements in English, then opened a little book with the French translation and read that aloud.

chase

Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:29 pm

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 20):
US Airlines don't do announcements in French, nor are they required to when arriving in Canada. Quebec can't legislate regulations to them...

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 21):
Well, a company should speak in the native language of the country it's coming from, as well as English.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess it just kind of surprised me, since the only other int'l trip I've flown on DL (IND-ATL-STR-JFK-CVG-IND a few years earlier), they did speak German on the int'l legs.

gooner

Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:47 pm

I've flown MAN-YYZ with TS a few times and the announcements have always been in both languages

Aircellist

Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:52 pm

In the 70s, it was something of a battle to have French spoken both in working environments (I faintly remember an AC mechanic being fired because he spoke French on the job, in Montreal!!!) and on the ATC environment. But now, I believe you have more chances to be served in French between two English speaking cities on AC than between London and a French provincial city on FR!!!

As a sidenote, I've heard on EZ that UK regulations dictate that the security announcements be made in English first. I don't know if it is better now, but two years ago, it was not followed by a French version, nor by a Spanish one, on a flilght from ORY to MAD... Hey! I could have volunteered for the French one!
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

YYZA330

Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:57 pm

At Skyservice, all safety announcements are done in English, then French, then the route language. Eg. ENG/FR/ITALIAN on a YYZ-FCO flight.

On flights out of YUL, It's French then English. We staff French Speaking FA's on YOW, YUL and i think it was YQM in the past.

On most flights, service announcements are only done in English. Some flights require service announcements to be done in Spanish (MEX as this is a Mexican farmer flight), French (YOW/YUL carrying FR qualified Flight Attendant) Croatian or Serbian, Portuguese for Portugal and Italian for Italy.

In the past, Italian FA's have done Italian announcements on ACA and Cuba flights due to the high # of Italian speaking passengers.

On Italian flights, the safety video is in English and French with Itlaian subtitles. I think this is the only route with subtitles in the 3rd language?

Good question.

Cubsrule

Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:57 pm

Quoting ChrisA330 (Reply 12):
On many AC Jazz flights, French annoucements are prerecorded as they are still building their bilingual workforce.

Didn't Jazz used to have to staff CRJs with 2 f/as because one had to be a native English speaker and the other a native French speaker? I swear I heard that somewhere...
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

mozart

Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:45 pm

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't Ottawa in the English-speaking part of the country? I know, it's the nation's capital and so has people from both linguistic backgrounds, but the city itself is in English-speaking territory and English is the "home language" of Ottawans, right?

Reminds me somehow of Brussels...

threepoint

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:00 pm

Quoting Mozart (Reply 32):
but the city itself is in English-speaking territory and English is the "home language" of Ottawans, right?

No, the lines are very blurred in Ottawa, Montreal and some other places. Ottawa is in predominantly-English speaking Ontario, but only just. Gatineau, Quebec is literally across the river a couple hundred metres away. The huge number of federal government jobs will always ensure a high number of francophones in the city, and the beauty is that kids there can grow up fully bilingual to the extent they consider both languages as their native tongue.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

MAH4546

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:01 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 23):
US carriers are only required to do safety related announcements in English. Any other language is a courtesy (if they are done at all or available).

Indeed. American Airlines/American Eagle, for example, on all flights going to or from Miami, have all announcements in English and Spanish, the exceptions being flights to Brazil, Montreal, Paris, and Port Au Prince, for obvious reasons. Even a domestic MIA-LAS hop has bilingual announcements.
a.

brilondon

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:08 pm

Quoting Threepoint (Reply 24):
doubt it, nor do I believe the hiring requirements mandate they do (recognizing a second language is almost a must-have for applicants). French is of course a preference, but Punjabi, Mandarin, Cantonese and a host of other languages are much more useful on certain routes.

AC applicants who deal with the public must speak both English and French fluently and a third language is also given alot of favour. You don't have to speak French if you are applying for a maintenance position, but if you want to work in Montreal you would best be advised to be able to speak french as most of your co-workers will.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

cgnnrw

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:14 pm

I flew MDT-YYZ on Air Ontario (operated by Air Georgian) a few years ago. There were no FAs on the the plane. I think it was a Beechcraft, only held 12 people. The pilot did all the announcents in English only. It was actually quite funny. He turned around faced the cabin and said "Hi everyone, I'm Jerry your pilot. Eveyone have their seatbelts on? Here's the exit (as he pointed to the only exit). Sit back and enjoy the flight." Although the safety card was in both languages.
A330 man.

Viscount724

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:36 pm

Quoting Stylo777 (Reply 7):

It seems to vary. On flights within Europe they will sometimes make announcements in the 3 languages and sometimes only 2 including English. In my experience, French announcements within Europe are usually made only on flights to/from French-speaking regions (e.g. GVA, France, Belgium), although I have also heard French announcements on other routes. Most LX crews (including pilots) seem to be tri-lingual. Their video safety briefing (audio only on Avro RJs) is in English only. At the end of the safety video there are brief recorded announcements in German, French and Italian asking passengers who need further information to contact a flight attendant.

Quoting ChrisA330 (Reply 12):
It is a Canadian Government requirement that annoucements are made in both English and French regardless of passengers on board. On many AC Jazz flights, French annoucements are prerecorded as they are still building their bilingual workforce.

Am I correct that only AC mainline (not Jazz) is subject to the federal legislation requiring that bilingual service be provided nationwide?

jamincan

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:44 pm

Quoting Mozart (Reply 32):
Forgive my ignorance, but isn't Ottawa in the English-speaking part of the country? I know, it's the nation's capital and so has people from both linguistic backgrounds, but the city itself is in English-speaking territory and English is the "home language" of Ottawans, right?

Not quite, Eastern Ontario has always had a large French population, and Ottawa has the largest population of francophones outside of Quebec. In fact, if you consider Ottawa alone, minus Gatineau, it would have the fourth largest French population in Canada after Montreal, Quebec, and, you guessed it, Gatineau. Certainly being the National Capital has a part to play in this, but the location on the Ontario-Quebec border, and the large French population that has historically settled in the Ottawa Valley, probably has a far greater impact.

CanadianNorth

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:15 pm

I fly domestically in Canada a couple times per year. I've always heard the safety announcements in English then French.

I get the feeling that the same goes for French speakers in Canada.

My father used to do check-in for Canadi>n Airlines and later Air Canada here in YXY. He was telling me one day that my high school french teacher at the time, who I know from experience speaks perfect english, walked up to the Air Canada counter and demanded to be spoken to, in person, by an agent who was 100% fluent in French. The french person on shift that day was busy with something, and all the other agents (they only have 3 flights a day at the most, so at any given time theres usually only a couple agents working) didn't speak French. This guys solution: stand there whining for 5 minutes in perfect english while waiting for the french speaking person to get there....

CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

Analog

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:39 pm

Quoting Rikkus67 (Reply 18):
In general, most francophones in Canada are bilingual. You will find this to a lesser degree in rural areas, and more so in urban areas.

I'm amazed at how many non-English speakers one runs into in Quebec. It must take significant effort to raise a child that doesn't understand any English in Quebec, yet many people seem to do it. (only is Quebec is KFC called PFK) I guess that's a good way to ensure the survival of a language.

Quoting Olympus69 (Reply 15):
I was at YUL a week ago, my first time there with a scanner, and I was surprised to hear a fair amount of French spoken by ATC. I didn't know it was legal.

Isn't that a bit of a safety issue? More accurately, wouldn't it be safer if everyone spoke and understood the same language?

SB

Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:03 am

Quoting AC888YOW (Reply 25):
I might be mistaken but I think there are NavCan rules stating that ATC serving Ottawa (and perhaps even Toronto) must be able to communicate in both English and French.

All services within the Montreal FIR are bilingual. As Ottawa is in the Montreal FIR, and it's Terminal controllers are actually sitting in YUL bilingual service is provided.
Kingston Ontario (CYGK) is an odd ball. IFR service is provided by Montreal Centre (in both languages) but Kingston FSS in english-only. Inversely the Madeleine Islands (CYGR) are situated in the Moncton FIR but are in the province of Québec so they have a bilingual FSS, however the Moncton Centre sector above is English-only.
Gotta love the partial application of bilingualism  

Operationally I never found having both languages a safety issue (although I speak both), Montreal controllers always point out nearby traffic if it speaks another language.

S. (formerly based in CYUL)

[Edited 2007-11-19 16:04:10]
"Confirm leave the hold and maintain 320kts?!"

GrahamHill

Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:13 am

Quoting Analog (Reply 40):
More accurately, wouldn't it be safer if everyone spoke and understood the same language?

Bloody Tower of Babel Big grin

JAGflyer

Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:18 am

On all Canadian registered airlines I have heard English and French + route langauge(s). On carriers such as El Al (YYZ-LAX-YYZ) annoucements are made in English, Hebrew and the safety video has Arabic subtiles. I also don't recall hearing French on any UA flights from ORD to YYZ.

[Edited 2007-11-19 16:19:41]
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

AF340

Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:40 am

Quoting Rikkus67 (Reply 18):
In general, most Francophones in Canada are bilingual. You will find this to a lesser degree in rural areas, and more so in urban areas.

checkmark 
When I am in Montreal, I try to speak french (I know enough to get around) but then they just start talking to me in English. I must sound like an idiot  Smile

I want to become fluent in French even if its just to be fair with those Francophones who do speak English in Canada.

Quoting Analog (Reply 40):
Isn't that a bit of a safety issue? More accurately, wouldn't it be safer if everyone spoke and understood the same language?

I've always been under the impression that the international language of aviation was English  Confused It really surprises me to find out Quebec and even YOW ATC are speaking French. If it is a requirement of Toronto and Ottawa ATC to speak French, that's ludicrous.

AF340

crj200faguy

Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:48 am

Last week I flew to YYZ and to be funny I used the automated announcements and played them in English, Spanish, French and Japanese. It took forever.

Viscount724

Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:59 am

Quoting AF340 (Reply 44):
I've always been under the impression that the international language of aviation was English It really surprises me to find out Quebec and even YOW ATC are speaking French. If it is a requirement of Toronto and Ottawa ATC to speak French, that's ludicrous.

That's not unusual. Many if not most other countries where English is not the native language permit their own language to be used in addition to English and you hear a mix of both languages in ATC communications.

SB

Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:03 am

As I just posted francais is only required in units based in the province of Quebec + Ottawa: essentially the Montreal FIR. The rest of the country runs on English alone  

S.

(edit for accents .... stupid forum)

[Edited 2007-11-19 17:04:04]
"Confirm leave the hold and maintain 320kts?!"

ayqzbr

Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:23 am

As noted in Reply 2, only AC is required by law to have bilingual (English/French) FAs on its flights, but not all FAs are bilingual. As far as I am aware, all other Canadian based airlines can use recordings for French safety announcements and do not need French speaking staff. (There are other laws that apply only to AC including, having its Head Office in Montreal and maintaining maintenance facilities in several cities). One reason AC likely moved all its CRJs to Jazz was to avoid the bilingual requirement, since on the 200s with only one FA, a bilingual FA had to be added if the FA holding that flight was uni-lingual. In today's media, there is mention again that Westjet is building its bilingual FA numbers to be able to serve Quebec City - at the moment, it only serves Montreal. It would seem to me to be only logical that all Canadian based airlines operate under the same rules, but that is definitely not the case, and it is also my understanding that inspectors are actually employed to enforce the bilingual rules on AC.

YLWbased

Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:09 am

not suprising at all, try flying CX to BKK, they make announcements in Thai, to NRT, in Japanese; to Malaysia, in Malay, etc.
Hong Kong is not China. Not better or worse, just different.