ATHYEG333
Topic Author

What's The Matter With Olympic?

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:25 am

Hi,

There is a lot of discussion here in Greece the last couple of weeks about the condition of Olympic's fleet.
More specific three of the four of Olympic's 737 (3 733 & 1 734) leased from the Spanish company Hola airlines
found with major problems. The first incident occurred, according to Greek Daily newspaper "Ethnos", when the B737
(EC-JQX) took off from Milan (bound to Athens) with cabin pressurization problems and returned shortly to Milan and technicians repaired the plane in order to fly back to Athens. It wasn't the first time that the problem took place; the technical base in Athens said that it couldn't fix the problem and requested from Boeing to send a group of technicians to investigate the aircraft. The aircraft is still in the ground since the incident!

After one week, another Greek newspaper "Eleftheros Tipos" revealed that the Olympic's technical base found in a second B737 (EC-KHI), also leased from Spanish Hola, a hole 5x50 mm in the cargo department, just covered with glue and painted accordingly. This problem never mentioned before from Hola, according to the newspaper!

The third incident occurred today with another B737 (also leased from Hola) bound to Athens from Corfu. The glass in one of the captain's window's, probably from a problem again with the pressurization in the cabin, got near to broke and the plane made an emergency landing back to Corfu.

I know nothing about Hola airlines and their aircraft and if anyone know sth pls help! I am flying to Brussels on Sunday with OA and I am a little concerned about all those incidents. My flight is with a 734, I hope not with one of those "birds"! What's happening with OA lately? I am curious how many "incidents" Olympic had with those planes?

OA260

RE: What's The Matter With Olympic?

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:25 pm

Quoting ATHYEG333 (Thread starter):
I know nothing about Hola airlines and their aircraft and if anyone know sth pls help! I am flying to Brussels on Sunday with OA and I am a little concerned about all those incidents. My flight is with a 734, I hope not with one of those "birds"! What's happening with OA lately? I am curious how many "incidents" Olympic had with those planes?

They really need to get rid of those planes. OA have a very good safety record if nothing else and they need to maintain that. If something happens then OA will finally go bust. They would be wise to lease better 737's or A320's . Whilst things have gotten better over the last 6-12 months and they are trying to modernise and restructure they still have alot of old baggage that needs to be dumped. Incl the nasty people that work in SKG ( see Fliegers TR ) !!!

There are very well educated people in OA and they are trying their best. I have very good friends in OA in high level positions and it makes me mad to think that they are trying to get things back on target whilst others let them down.

MONO TIN ELLADA !!!!

wolflair

Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:08 pm

Jumping in the speculation cart, I wouldn't be surprised that reporting those incidents to the public could be used as a leverage for some sort of "aid" or "public brainwashing" before getting some new birds.

I am not sure how much the government could intervene (I am not familiar with OA ownership structure) but creating such an environment and a couple of "breaking news" in ETN or in Mega to support the case, the public (and some politicians) may not cry out loud if some taxpayers money is put to "good use" as a loan for new a/c....

Just as OA260 said "Mono tin ellada"
JMM -A319,A320,A321,A333,A343,AT45,AT72,B462,B722,B737s from -200 to -800,B744,B752,B762,B763,BE35,DC91,F70,Ju52,MD80,S3

RyanairGuru

Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:46 pm

The Greek government can't do anything. It would contravene EU competiotion laws, being deemed "anti-competitive".

Out of interest, have OA returned their last pay-out to the Greek government, they were ordered to by the EU Competition Authority, but last time I heard they were resolutely refusing to do so.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

FLIEGER67

Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:31 pm

Kalispera, ATHYEG333,

the single Hola 734 is returned to spain, so a 734 seems to be a real OA aircraft.
A HellasJet A320 is also in service for OA nowadays.

For some actual impressions, have a look at my experience Tuesday, last week:
Kalimera Thessaloniki, Olympic Included! (by FLIEGER67 Nov 18 2007 in Trip Reports)

Regards,
Markus (FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net

OA260

Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:19 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 3):
Out of interest, have OA returned their last pay-out to the Greek government, they were ordered to by the EU Competition Authority, but last time I heard they were resolutely refusing to do so.

The Greek government was ordered to pay back OA for services it screwed out of it so the debt was greatly reduced. The Greek courts finally stood upto the Greek government.

See here :::::

In 2006 OA was thrown a life line, when the courts ordered Greece to repay them almost 564 million euro owed to the airline. The money was owed to OA from legally subsidized routes to Greek islands and costs of the relocation to the new airport. The money will be used to pay back part of the State aid declared illegal by the European Commission in December 2005. Olympic Airlines have re-designed their website to introduce the e-ticket service launched on July 31st 2007 in response to the surge of online booking and online check ins. The e-ticket service introduction by EDS meant Olympic abolished their old "Hermes" booking system which had served the company for more than two decades.

On September 12, 2007, OA won a legal battle with EU Regulators. The Luxembourg-based court ruled that Greece must pay back most, but not all of the money The European Commission had demanded them to repay back. The court found that the Commission failed to prove that some of the funds violated EU state aid rules. Those funds included unpaid taxes on fuel and spare parts, as well as unpaid fees to Athens International Airport. The new amount owed by Olympic is €130 million from the original €160 million.

:::::

So at least things are not as doom and gloom as people said. If they can get a good business plan and funding for 4-6 A320's then they will be ok. They can sell the current OA 737's to Hola !!!lol......

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 4):
A HellasJet A320 is also in service for OA nowadays.

Yes the funny thing is that OA actually state when you book in a CRS system like Galileo if the A/C will be a Hellasjet or a Hola A/C!! At least I can avoid the Hola ones LOL.....

Hola should be renamed ADE!!!!

-------------------------------------

See also here :::

http://news.ert.gr/en/c/11/28706.asp

A crack on the cockpit’s window alarmed the passengers of an Olympic Airlines plane en route from Corfu to Athens, as the pilot had to return to the island’s airport just a few minutes after its takeoff. The airliner is one of the five the Olympic Airlines have leased from Spain-based Hola company. The several occurrences reported on Boeings leased from the same company prompted OA to abort long-term leases.

So OA have aborted the Hola long term leases!!!

[Edited 2007-11-19 12:40:34]

SergioAEE

Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:18 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 1):
Whilst things have gotten better over the last 6-12 months and they are trying to modernise and restructure they still have alot of old baggage that needs to be dumped.

Ah yes, how they got a new CEO and the first things he did was order a new leather chair for his desk, and ask for two "highly skilled" secretarys..

Take this from someone whose entire family worked over 25 years in OA as flight crew or middle management (station managers): Olympic is Greece's "butter-mama". Everyone who has connections to work there does so because they are pretty well paid for greek standards, and have no real threat of getting fired (if they have got a job threw connections). Olympic used to throw out experienced managers because some "politically connected" person wanted a specific chair because it was well paid. What exactly do you mean when you say things have gotten better over the last 6-12 months???? OA260 i know from your previous posts that you are a well and open minded aviation enthusiast... but to believe something like that is beyond me.

If they wanted to they would cut about 2000 useless jobs TOMORROW and increase their profits. They would end this whole "perminant employee" non-sense and make people work their rear end off to keep their jobs.... Instead they lease cheap, old, and battered a/c where they can get them cheap and draw the HISTORIC logo on them! I love this airline so much, that I want it to close, because i cannot stand seeing it like this anymore... The only hope is if one of the known, greek millionairs decide to buy the airline or invest massive amounts of money into it, for the hope of more profit... If OA stays the way it is as we speak.. it will only get worse...

Sergio

OA260

Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:35 am

Quoting SergioAEE (Reply 6):
Take this from someone whose entire family worked over 25 years in OA as flight crew or middle management (station managers):

Yep me also . The family has a long history of working in OA in all fields. I grew up with OA and made my first flight when I was in a cot . I also worked for them in various depts. so OA has been part of me from day 1. We also got the jobs on merit and not being the 2nd cousin of Papandreou or Mitsotakis!!!

Olympic used to throw out experienced managers because some "politically connected" person wanted a specific chair because it was well paid

Yes everytime the government changed they got another Pondios in to look pretty. I wont argue there.

OA260 i know from your previous posts that you are a well and open minded aviation enthusiast... but to believe something like that is beyond me.

Thanks lol..... But maybe I love OA for the airline that it could be . It pains me to see people screw everything out of OA and government using it as their private jet . This is Greek culture and its that mentalty that needs changing. Alot of decent people as I said before work in OA and want a good decent airline that runs well and offers good service.

There is a old school that wants to hold everyone else back just like everything else in Greece. It will take another 20 years to bring Greek mentality upto the standards of the rest of Europe and I say that as a half Greek who is very patriotic about my Greek roots.

We need a decent workforce and tough decisions and a good business plan !!! If this does not happen then maybe it is time to shut it down and admit that Greeks have crapped on their own airline.

ATHYEG333
Topic Author

Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:10 am

I love this airline so much, that I want it to close, because i cannot stand seeing it like this anymore...

I agree!

Quoting OA260 (Reply 7):
If this does not happen then maybe it is time to shut it down and admit that Greeks have crapped on their own airline.

It should have happened years ago! Because there is not a wise politician to end this mess, it does not mean that everything is OK! The last 17 years, from 1990 onwards, the "governments" tried to restructure the airline 4-5 times!
The company during all these years made its only profit in 1995! 17 years and a single year of profits! Amazing!
As a Greek tax payer I refuse to pay anymore some 2000-3000 excess employees to just sitting in offices in El. Venizelos doing nothing! And the employee unions opinion? We want a "good" state owned airline!!! State owned?
For God's shake! State owned in today's competitive airline industry! It's the Greek f...... mentality, everything owned by the state, so everyone can find a job, paid well and doing nothing!

EPITELOUS AS DOULEPSEI KAPOIOS S' AFTI TI XORA!!!

OA260

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:40 am

Quoting ATHYEG333 (Reply 8):
As a Greek tax payer I refuse to pay anymore some 2000-3000 excess employees to just sitting in offices in El. Venizelos doing nothing! And the employee unions opinion?

If they really want to shake the airline up and bring in new mentality they need to hire Greeks from the Diaspora who have a different mentality when it comes to business. People who work to targets and customer service. When I come back to Greece the customer service is 50/50. You still get the ''den boro'' attitude in alot of Greek companies. One company I have to say I am very impressed with is Vodafone Greece. They really know how to treat the consumer.

The argument is not to just shut down OA , the argument is that the Greeks need to change their mentality. Maybe OA is a representation of the wider problems in Greece itself. I notice that alot of Greeks that have been brought up abroad in USA/Australia/Europe have a high percentage of being in high level jobs and very successful businesses. There are of course exceptions inside Greece itself , my family are all well educated and speak multiple languages and have a different mentality. As I said before its a shame that the rest of the citizens cant raise themselves.

OA have been thrown a lifeline from the EU and the Greek courts so this really is their last chance. Some tough decisions need to be made and they need to get the the staff sorted out.

cornish

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:47 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 7):
We need a decent workforce and tough decisions and a good business plan !!! If this does not happen then maybe it is time to shut it down and admit that Greeks have crapped on their own airline.

Well the Greek govenrment is currently trying to desperately hawk it around to certain foreign airlines to see if there are any takers. Failing that, it may well finally decay further until it finally collapses.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

OA260

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:55 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 10):
Well the Greek govenrment is currently trying to desperately hawk it around to certain foreign airlines to see if there are any takers. Failing that, it may well finally decay further until it finally collapses.

I would like to see QR get it but QR wont stand for the current work practices and righfully so. They would be the kind of airline that could inject the cash needed to turn it around.

cornish

Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:04 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 11):
I would like to see QR get it but QR wont stand for the current work practices and righfully so. They would be the kind of airline that could inject the cash needed to turn it around.

Exactly. For any airline it would make far more sense just to set up a whole new airline rather than try and rescue and restructure OA.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

BP1

Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:32 pm

They are busy looking at ways to buy Alitalia.

Just Kidding.

Cheers,
BP1
"First To Fly The A-380" / 26 October 2007 SYD-SIN Inaugural

olympic707

Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:40 pm

There is a lot of discussion here in Greece the last couple of weeks about the condition of Olympic's fleet.
More specific three of the four of Olympic's 737 (3 733 & 1 734) leased from the Spanish company Hola airlines

I flew one of those 737s from SKG - ATH, those planes are in bad shape!  frown 

After one week, another Greek newspaper "Eleftheros Tipos" revealed that the Olympic's technical base found in a second B737 (EC-KHI), also leased from Spanish Hola, a hole 5x50 mm in the cargo department, just covered with glue and painted accordingly. This problem never mentioned before from Hola, according to the newspaper!

I noticed what looked like patches with globs of paint on the side of the fuselage on one of those Hola 737 I flew on.  eek 

OA's planes (The ones with SX-*** registrations) are in good shape. The JFK-ATH, ATH-JFK trip I had in September was on the A340, very nice and in like new shape!

Yanni
Fly Olympic - Aviation GREEK STYLE!

olympic707

Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:57 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 5):
So OA have aborted the Hola long term leases!!!

Good! Those Hola planes are going to ruin OA's great safety record.

OA management has to wise up and get new planes.

Yanni

OA260

Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:04 pm

Quoting Olympic707 (Reply 14):
OA's planes (The ones with SX-*** registrations) are in good shape. The JFK-ATH, ATH-JFK trip I had in September was on the A340, very nice and in like new shape!

Yes I agree the 340's are ingreat shape. A credit to OA engineering dept and mechanics. OA has always had a good maintanance dept thats why they need to get rid of these Hola 737's. Even if it means axing a few more routes. The A300-600 is also in good shape. They would have been better keeping the older A300's than getting these sub standard 737's from Hola.

Anway we pray for better times ........

O THEOS KSERI !!!!

olympic707

Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:00 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 16):
The A300-600 is also in good shape. They would have been better keeping the older A300's than getting these sub standard 737's from Hola.

Gia Sou OA260,

OA had 3 A300-600, they sold 2 of them to Iran Air. I herd from a BWI worker close to FedEx says that the last OA A300-600 will be sold to FedEx spring of '08.

OA management does not make sense. Sell good planes you need, lease junk.  Confused

Yanni

ATHYEG333
Topic Author

Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:33 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 16):
They would have been better keeping the older A300's than getting these sub standard 737's from Hola.

With Olympic's technical base these birds (A300) could fly for ...100 years (!!!) without a problem! Where, did Olympic "discover" this Hola "company"?

Quoting Olympic707 (Reply 17):
OA management does not make sense. Sell good planes you need, lease junk.

It makes sense... Old, typical Greek practises! Spend less taxpayers' money, keep the rest in your OWN bank account!!!

OA260

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:27 pm

WesternA318

Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:43 am

Thanks for the link OA260, now me you and the rest of the greeks on here know this, but for our other friends, how about a translation?
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

olympic707

Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:37 pm

Quoting ATHYEG333 (Reply 18):
With Olympic's technical base these birds (A300) could fly for ...100 years (!!!) without a problem!

checkmark  Agree, That goes for any airplane. That's how good OA mechanics are.

Where, did Olympic "discover" this Hola "company"?

Pos Kseri? Who Knows?  Confused

Hola website http://www.holaairlines.com/index2.html

Yanni

LAXintl

Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:06 pm

Hey guys, I was recently talking with a senior executive at a European airline and the following came up about OA.

Zoom back 20 years to the early 80s.

Olympic -
Global network to the America's, Asia, Australia, 747s, relatively young A300, B732 fleet rounded out with 727s and a few left over 720/707s offering on par service and product with most European national carriers.

Turkish Airlines -
Smallish domestic and European network with older DC-9s, 727s, two unwanted giant DC-10s and a few 707s offering marginal service, and the worst ontime performance of AEA member airlines.

Then fast forward to 2007

OA -
Vastly shrunk network with near complete focus on Europe and domestic market using what today are seen as small and older 737s stuck in a time warp. Operates in a holding pattern due government ineptness.

TK -
Expanding global network from a well developed Eastern Mediterranean hub at IST offering strong connectivity. Profitable operation, on the way to become the 4th largest airline in Europe (after AF/KL, LH, BA) offering one of the best baggage and ontime performance of AEA members and just having joined a global alliance.

Now great kudos to the Turks for developing a strong airline and taking advantage their geography, but everything they managed to accomplish at IST, OA should have been able to do at ATH particularly as it was a few decades ahead as an airline. Instead OA did not even manage to maintain its status quo, but instead actually went backwards as the rest of Europe and the world continued ahead.  banghead 

Seemingly the only good thing OA has experienced in these last 20+ years is a new home at Eleftherios Venizelos airport.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

OA260

Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:22 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 22):
OA should have been able to do at ATH particularly as it was a few decades ahead as an airline. Instead OA did not even manage to maintain its status quo, but instead actually went backwards as the rest of Europe and the world continued ahead.

True and it really is a sin that they let it get like this. TK is a true example of what can be done. I have to say I love TK as an airline and cant wait for them to join Star Alliance. Your points are very true . It just shows you how tables can turn, but hopefully they can turn again .

renfnl

Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:31 pm

Quoting Olympic707 (Reply 21):
Hola website http://www.holaairlines.com/index2.html

The translated text has spelling errors. Funny!

OA260

Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:39 pm

Quoting Renfnl (Reply 24):
The translated text has spelling errors. Funny!

Big grin Didnt notice that before LOL......... That text doesnt really live up to the experience OA has had with them !!! And they say ''beware of Greeks bearing gifts '' LOL......

kaneporta1

Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:59 pm

Then fast forward to 2007

OA -
Vastly shrunk network with near complete focus on Europe and domestic market using what today are seen as small and older 737s stuck in a time warp. Operates in a holding pattern due government ineptness.

TK -
Expanding global network from a well developed Eastern Mediterranean hub at IST offering strong connectivity. Profitable operation, on the way to become the 4th largest airline in Europe (after AF/KL, LH, BA) offering one of the best baggage and ontime performance of AEA members and just having joined a global alliance.

I had pretty much the same conversation with an OA f/a on the way back to LHR recently. I was the one that mentioned the TK (and EK and QR) case, and he said that it's how most OA employees feel about where the airline should be. On the bright side, he said that despite all the issues, OA is now profitable, as the company now consists of the aircrafts and flight crews only. Olympic handling, Olympic catering and all other Olympic afiliated companies, are just that, different companies. This means that OA can work more efficiently without the burden of the former loss making departments.

I still think though, the 2 fundamental problems are: the management, that are more interested in keeping politicians happy, than making a profit, and the fact that OA still sees itself as a Greek airline, instead of a global airline.
I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not terrified and screaming, like his passengers

WesternA318

Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:31 pm

Quoting Kaneporta1 (Reply 26):
I still think though, the 2 fundamental problems are: the management, that are more interested in keeping politicians happy, than making a profit, and the fact that OA still sees itself as a Greek airline, instead of a global airline.

Personally, I think OA should see itself as the premier airline to Greece, and for a more leisure air about it, much like a Spirit Air or Air Jamaica, even a Court Line or Spantax.

alitis

Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:01 pm

Where, did Olympic "discover" this Hola "company"?

apo tin diaolou tin mana, esti fenete

Got on to one after just deplaning off one of the A340's (Marathon) from JFK. What a let down, run down and downright grimy. True what someone mentioned before, All the SX reg's are in much better shape.

-alitis

WesternA318

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:25 am

Quoting Alitis (Reply 28):
apo tin diaolou tin mana, esti fenete

LMAO, I'm going to have to agree after seeing one for myself last time sthn patrida.

All the SX reg's are in much better shape.

Agreed, took one from IST-ATH last time in Greece and found it a remarkable difference.

kaneporta1

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:44 am

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 27):
Personally, I think OA should see itself as the premier airline to Greece, and for a more leisure air about it, much like a Spirit Air or Air Jamaica, even a Court Line or Spantax.

With European open skies coming into effect soon, what chance does OA stand competing U2, FR, LH and any other airline that decides to operate routes to, from and inside Greece?

My personal view is that OA has (should have done many years ago) to expand and operate a true hub and spoke system between Europe and Asia and between Middle East/Africa and America
I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not terrified and screaming, like his passengers

olympic707

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:22 pm

OA -

TK -

The MOST important thing to me is OA safety record, something TK and other airlines can't touch!  bigthumbsup 

All this "bad" and "den boro" attitude from OA employees, I just don't see it at all. I have nothing but pleasant experience with OA and it's employees.

True what someone mentioned before, All the SX reg's are in much better shape.

That would be me.

Yanni

OA260

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:33 pm

Quoting Olympic707 (Reply 31):
All this "bad" and "den boro" attitude from OA employees, I just don't see it at all. I have nothing but pleasant experience with OA and it's employees.

I have to agree. 90% of all my experiences over the years have been very good. Yes you get the odd one at check in or ticket desk whos having a bad day and there are bad eggs at SKG but on the whole they are no worse than any other airline.

olympic707

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:36 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 32):
I have to agree. 90% of all my experiences over the years have been very good. Yes you get the odd one at check in or ticket desk whos having a bad day and there are bad eggs at SKG but on the whole they are no worse than any other airline.

I seen a lot of foreign travelers in SKG, maybe that is why some OA employees get frustrated due to language barriers.

My cousin works at SKG, she is very pleasant person to deal with.  Big grin

Yanni

OA260

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:42 pm

Quoting Olympic707 (Reply 33):
My cousin works at SKG, she is very pleasant person to deal with.

LOL....well even I had a bad experience at SKG !!! I find the best staff work at Swiss check in but they were Swissport I think .

vinniewinnie

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:48 pm

Quoting Kaneporta1 (Reply 30):
With European open skies coming into effect soon, what chance does OA stand competing U2, FR, LH and any other airline that decides to operate routes to, from and inside Greece?

As far as I'm aware the european open sky you talk about has already been in existence for many years now! I suppose no-one has ever been interested in flying intra-greece segments! Even though I heard flights from Athens to The islands are extortionate thus I assume high yield!

Does Greece protect liaisons between islands and the mainland as much as France does for Corsica?

WesternA318

Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:54 pm

The MOST important thing to me is OA safety record, something TK and other airlines can't touch!

Good point, but TK also has a stellar reputation with their new fleet, do they not? Also, how do carriers such as Cyprus Air, Egypt Air and MEA compare to OA?

I've flown OA in the 80's 90's and this decade, and I must say, their best performance in my eyes was on an ATH-LHR flight back in 1991. The 747 was old but in very good shape and the crew were actually happy for us to be flying them. My latest Trans-Atlantic hop on OA was also the worst flight of my life, with the F/As completely surly and in a bad mood ALL the way to ATH. My last Intra-european flight though was quite nice, and i even got the F/A's phone number...

OA260

Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:07 pm

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 36):
and i even got the F/A's phone number...

Dimitra's and not Dimitris I hope LOL.....  Wink

WesternA318

Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:10 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 37):
Dimitra's and not Dimitris I hope LOL.....

Heh...just talked to her last night even, and her names Afroditi...although much more rettier than the fabled greek goddess...

OA260

Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 38):
and her names Afroditi...although much more rettier than the fabled greek goddess...

LOL..... you will be racking up those Icarus miles in future then maybe ???

I have to say the LHR service is the flagship service as its the A340 and you normally always get a good service.

I was going to fly with OA from ATH-SKG but the fare is EUR150 oneway!!!!! The train is EUR20 so I may just do that instead. Greek domestics got crazy money .

WesternA318

Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:27 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 39):
LOL..... you will be racking up those Icarus miles in future then maybe ???

Or let her rack up the OnePass miles, lol.

OA260

Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:42 pm

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 40):
Or let her rack up the OnePass miles, lol.

You know what Ellinidas are like !!! Not to mention an OA one ....I wouldnt be telling her to do anything LOL....

WesternA318

Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:06 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 41):
You know what Ellinidas are like !!! Not to mention an OA one ....I wouldnt be telling her to do anything LOL....

LMAO, I got her hooked on CO when we did FCO-EWR-SLC in BizFirst, then Domestic First

OA260

Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:31 am

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 42):
LMAO, I got her hooked on CO when we did FCO-EWR-SLC in BizFirst, then Domestic First

Haha ....tempt her with your big seat  Big grin

On another note 7 days and I will be in Greece again , cant wait . I smell the Tyropittas already !!! Id love to do an OA flight though and do a TR on it . Will have to see if there is a spare EUR150 laying around lol.....

Kalo Savatto kai Kyriaki .........

WesternA318

Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:08 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 43):
I smell the Tyropittas already !!!

STOP! Youre making me hungry, lol. If youve ever been to Thessalia, or Trikala in General, theres an orangeade there called Kliafa, GOOD stuff....

rolfen

Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:25 am

Quoting ATHYEG333 (Reply 8):

MEA used to be like this, even much worse. It was about to disappear. It got restructured, renewed its fleet, fired a bunch of people (not withtout protests) and it now posts profits. Although on a much smaller scale, it can serve as an example for olympic. MEA is today owned by the bank of lebanon, I dont know if that qualifies as state owned. I hope OA will not wait to touch bottom before doing the reforms.
I am surprised to hear such things about olympic, because they have a big fleet and competitive prices. But if as you said in 17 years there has only been one year of profit, then there is something wrong.
rolf

WesternA318

Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:30 am

Quoting Rolfen (Reply 45):
MEA used to be like this, even much worse. It was about to disappear. It got restructured, renewed its fleet, fired a bunch of people (not withtout protests) and it now posts profits. Although on a much smaller scale, it can serve as an example for olympic.

That would probably be the best example, as from what Ive heard, MEA is profitable, and has been for a while

MEA is today owned by the bank of lebanon, I dont know if that qualifies as state owned. I hope OA will not wait to touch bottom before doing the reforms.

I think the Bank of lebanon is a private entity, but from what Ive heard, MEA is extremely well run nowadays, and I'm looking forward to flying them soon.

ATHYEG333
Topic Author

Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:42 am

OA is now profitable,

Where did you read that? Only in your dreams,sorry! OA's estimated LOSS for the current year is 150 million euros (!) with an accumulated loss of 600 million euros (including past losses and state aids to be returned!)

This means that OA can work more efficiently without the burden of the former loss making departments.

These "burdens" you talking about were the only two profitable (handling because of the contracts with the most of the Greek airports and catering with the contracts with other airlines) and with the addition of the OA's technical base consist the part of Olympic's worth "selling" assets!

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 40):
I was going to fly with OA from ATH-SKG but the fare is EUR150 oneway!!!!!

Try Aegean is about 50 euros oneway!!! And with the new A320's!

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 44):
STOP! Youre making me hungry, lol. If youve ever been to Thessalia, or Trikala in General, theres an orangeade there called Kliafa, GOOD stuff....

Except from portokalada Kliafa makes the best vissinada! Here in Karditsa we drink a lot of Kliafa!

MEA is today owned by the bank of lebanon, I dont know if that qualifies as state owned

To be honest I strongly disagree with the state's role in controlling airlines! I think in such a business sector (air transport) the companies should be privately owned in order to perform more efficiently without the bottlenecks of bureaucracy! I like examples such MEA and I hope that Olympic will transform to a "decent" airline making even small profits and maintaining its good safety records!

OA260

Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:52 am

Quoting ATHYEG333 (Reply 47):
Try Aegean is about 50 euros oneway!!! And with the new A320's!

The A3 and the OA fares are the same . I was looking at Business class by the way but Y class is the same also. I would like to fly OA up and then A3 down to try both but that would be EUR300 for a trip to SKG which is way too much for a domestic flight.

ATHYEG333
Topic Author

Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:37 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 48):
I was looking at Business class by the way

Sorry, but what's the point to pay for Business class in a half an hour domestic flight?