Coal
Topic Author

SWISS: Not Honoring Star Alliance Gold Privileges

Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:59 pm

Last weekend I flew LX Economy from SIN to BKK and back to SIN. I am a KrisFlyer PPS Club member (Star Alliance Gold equiv.) and I presented my card upon checking in in the First Class counter (used for Star Gold). My luggage was not given a priority tag and my friend, who was on the same flight as me, was not allowed as my companion into the lounge (Sats contract lounge). The irony of it all was that he was able to used the Business Class counter to check in as a Star Alliance Silver member.

On our return, my bag was tagged as priority, but my friend was again denied access to the lounge.

I've had people accompany me into the lounge on previous occasions (presenting my KrisFlyer card on other Star Alliance carriers) without any trouble. Why does LX not honor this?

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: MI RGN-SIN | SQ SIN-RGN-SIN | CX SIN-HKG-PVG | SQ PVG-SIN

LAXintl

RE: SWISS: Not Honoring Star Alliance Gold Privileges

Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:05 pm

I'm not certain if this is related, however Singapore has pulled Silver Kris Lounge access to many Star partners including at Changi. So could very well be that other Star partners in-turn refuse to honor some privileges to SQ flyers?
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

OHLHD

Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:24 pm

Quoting Coal (Thread starter):
My luggage was not given a priority tag

The priority tag is rather useless if you fly in another class. If you fly in Eco your baggage will be loaded in the Eco-Container, unless somebody has enough time to sort them carefully.

Quoting Coal (Thread starter):
who was on the same flight as me, was not allowed as my companion into the lounge (Sats contract lounge).

You should have asked for the lounge procedures.......  Smile

davescj

Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:31 pm

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 2):
If you fly in Eco your baggage will be loaded in the Eco-Container

I didn't know there was a different container.

As to LX, I'm surprised. Didn't the door have *Gold on it? If it didn't, that is the only reason I can think of for a refusal.

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

OHLHD

Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:35 pm

Quoting Davescj (Reply 3):

What do you mean? Usually there is a First, Business, Economy, Transfer, Quicktransfer container ( or containers)

davescj

Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:37 pm

Didn't realize baggage was in diff container by class..........At least at FCO (and for that matter ELP, MKE, and a few more) I have been tagged priority 26 ways from Tuesday, but has never seemed to make much difference.

The quick transfer does make a great deal of sense.

Dave

OHLHD

Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:56 pm

Quoting Davescj (Reply 5):
The quick transfer does make a great deal of sense.

Yes it does. You load this container at the door so it is offloaded first and can be sent to the transfer area immediately.

OA260

Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:03 pm

The Priority tags are hit and miss anyway !!! 50% my bag comes off first 50% last !!! Always flying in J class.
My understanding is that if a lounge has the Star Gold logo on it then you have access for you and One companion as long as the companion has the same or another Star boarding card.

Maybe email Swiss for their view and explanation for your mates refusal. Sometimes you find that new staff dont know all the rules and it may have been wise to call for a supervisor if you believe you 100% had the right to have your mate in.

DLPMMM

Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:07 pm

Your problem may be that it was a Sats contract lounge. The *G lounge access reciprocity is, to my knowledge, for * Alliance OPERATED lounges, not contract lounges. The same is true in the other alliances.

Strictly speaking, I do not think you were necessarily eligible for lounge access given it was a contract lounge.

You probably should have gone to the SQ or TG lounges at SIN and BKK where your *G card would have given you and your guest lounge access.

From the *A website:

"In Singapore we offer access to the Singapore Airlines Premium Lounge instead of the Silver Kris Lounge (Raffles Class)."

It is sometimes quite difficult to figure out which of the lounges in an airport you are eligible to enter under the *G programs. I am *G and ST Elite Plus, and so I get confused twice as often.  Wink

Cheers

davescj

Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:09 pm

I know that BA 3rd party lounges and occasionally 3rd party operated dont' let guests in. When I've been in a BA lounge, I've never had problems bring in a guest.

What is ST Elite Plus?

Dave

SwissA330

Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:13 pm

The Priority tag has no influence, only the 'real' baggage tag, it contains info about your destination, class and whether your are transfer etc.
I.E. Even if you check in at the 1st class counter, but with Eco ticket, your bag is going to the ECO container, or vice versa, if you check in 1st at ECO, you might still expect your luggage to arrive earlier.

With this said, there are of course exceptions, certain airports don't load the baggage according to the 'electronic' bar code, but manually, so there they might really sort them by 'special' tags etc.
It all depends on the airport you check in. And of course, if you fly on an RJ or similiar, there are no containers anyway...
swissair/+/ we care

abrelosojos

Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:28 pm

Quoting Davescj (Reply 9):
What is ST Elite Plus?

= Skyteam Elite Plus which is usually the top tier only for most Skytream airlines. It provides lounge access.

I would email LX and in the future insist on speaking with a supervisor and ask them to see the rule book - they usually have one with pictures of all the cards.

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

OA260

Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:34 pm

Quoting Abrelosojos (Reply 11):
they usually have one with pictures of all the cards.

Yes a 1 piece laminated sheet with all the cards on and rules !!! I have been told that I couldn't access the BMI lounge in DUB before with a BMI Gold card when flying LO in J class , a quick phone call to customer services on my mobile in front of the desk agent solved the issue .

JRadier

Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:36 pm

Quoting SwissA330 (Reply 10):
if you check in 1st at ECO, you might still expect your luggage to arrive earlier.

More often than not, it's the other way around. If you check in first, your container will be first on the plane (and your bag on the bottom/back of it). That container will come off LAST at the destination, and with your bag at the bottom, you are likely to find your bag last on the belt.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

AntonovA330

Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:42 pm

Coal,

I'd also write an e-mail. Hope you had good flight despite this...
Good day to you sir! Please turn left, your seat is in the first row.

Coal
Topic Author

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:35 pm

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 2):
The priority tag is rather useless if you fly in another class. If you fly in Eco your baggage will be loaded in the Eco-Container, unless somebody has enough time to sort them carefully.

Mmm... that's pretty hard to believe as with SQ it usually comes out first. It came out within the first ten bags, ahead of a few First and Business class on LX.

Yes, I'm also calling BS on that one.

Quoting AntonovA330 (Reply 14):
I'd also write an e-mail. Hope you had good flight despite this...

I will. And even though I'm very biased as I mostly fly SQ, I did have a good flight  Smile

Cheers
Coal

OHLHD

Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:42 am

Quoting Coal (Reply 15):
Mmm... that's pretty hard to believe as with SQ it usually comes out first. It came out within the first ten bags, ahead of a few First and Business class on LX.

Maybe they sort them different with SQ or they have other loading priorities but usually it is without regard whether you are Gold or Silver....but good for you  bigthumbsup 

Ryanair!!!

Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:50 am

Looks like you had one heck of a trip from "swaying aerobridges" to lounge access mishaps. Sometimes procedures like these can differ because of the varying degrees of product knowledge. This can happen because there are just so many airlines affiliated to an alliance, knowing what to do when can be quite a challenge.

Ask to speak to the station manager next time. That normally helps to clear the air... But admittedly, they are also human and are as "blur" as their workers sometimes.
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

Transpac787

Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:09 am

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 2):

I cannot speak in an educated manner about LX or SQ, but I can tell you for certain that there is no such thing as an "Eco-Container" at UA. Obviously, bag handling with different Star Alliance carriers may vary considerably, but bags at UA are sorted into containers 5x different ways. If you look at your checked bag label at UA, next to each city code you will see a number....1, 2, 3, 4. That number indicates the different sorting/staging areas the bag is to be brought to if it is being transferred. The 5th part of the sort are the "city bags".

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 4):
What do you mean? Usually there is a First, Business, Economy, Transfer, Quicktransfer container

Again, I cannot speak as to how it's done at other airlines, but at UA that isn't even close to how it's actually done. Having a priority tag does not entitle a bag to its own "private" container. Do you think the pax would give a damn if their bag was loaded into the "economy container" when they were sitting in First or Business??? I suppose that could be the next amenity for air travel though....higher classes of travel for your luggage!! Back to the point though, it would make no logistical sense whatsoever to sort bags by travel class in the cans.

Again, all bags are sorted very simply.....transfer, or city. The only time the priority bag tag will ever make a difference is when the bags are thrown on the belt at bag claim....we put the priority bag tags up first, then everything else after that.

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 6):
Yes it does. You load this container at the door so it is offloaded first and can be sent to the transfer area immediately.

This is not true. All bags inbound to the US have to go through customs, even if you are just transiting the US. There is no such thing as "quicktransfer" because all the bags have to go through customs and CTX screening anyway.

aswissinmad

Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:47 am

Actually your guest was not eligible to enter the lounge LX uses at SIN as it is not a Star Alliance lounge, but a contracted one (SATS Lounge). However, they should have directed you to SQ's Silver Kris Lounge (or you should have gone there directly). I know it is confusing sometimes but in this case all the info is on the LX and Star alliance websites.

Reading your header line, accusing LX of not honoring your status I can only guess that you might not have been so nice with their contracted agents at checkin, who in turn probably didn't want to go too deep into an explanation with you about the rules. I have worked at checkin (thanks God not for too long) and I know how some top tiers think they are owned everything and just won't take no for an answer and would become a bit abusive. Not accusing you of anything, but a polite "may I speak to your supervisor please" should have done the trick.

Better to get the facts before making an airline or someone look bad.

ManchesterMAN

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:24 am

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 8):
Your problem may be that it was a Sats contract lounge. The *G lounge access reciprocity is, to my knowledge, for * Alliance OPERATED lounges, not contract lounges. The same is true in the other alliances.

AT SIN the SATS lounge is a *G lounge. This is the lounge you go to if flying SQ in Y. I believe you only get in to the SQ biz and 1st lounges if you are flying those classes with SQ. I used this lounge last year flying SQ Y and was able to bring a non-status guest in no probs at all.

I wouldn't say the problems the OP encountered were much to do with LX but with the lounge staff. Apart from the priority tag issue but at the end of the day do these really get your luggage to you any quicker? Certainly not in my experience.
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

SRMD11

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:41 am

Dear Coal: Once upon a time... there was an Airline... But today... SWISS is SWISS... and not SWISSAIR  crying 

col

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:58 am

I too took the same routings last week on Swiss SIN-BKK-SIN. Had no problems what so ever with access, tags, lounges and boarding as *G. I was traveling alone, so not sure on the partner access.

One thing I did forget was how quiet the 340 is. Having done many 772/77w flights recently, this was a nice bonus.

Coal
Topic Author

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:09 am

Quoting Aswissinmad (Reply 19):
Actually your guest was not eligible to enter the lounge LX uses at SIN as it is not a Star Alliance lounge, but a contracted one (SATS Lounge). However, they should have directed you to SQ's Silver Kris Lounge (or you should have gone there directly). I know it is confusing sometimes but in this case all the info is on the LX and Star alliance websites.

Yes, but the Silver Kri lounge is in T2, not T1. I know it is all connected, but still quite a walk!

Quoting ManchesterMAN (Reply 20):
SQ biz and 1st lounges if you are flying those classes with SQ.

No. The Business Class side of the Silver Kris lounge is open to SQ econ pax who are Elite Gold and above (or is it PPS Club and above?). Not sure if it is open to other Star Alliance Gold members travelling on SQ in econ.

Cheers
Coal

SQA350

Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:52 pm

Quoting Coal (Reply 23):
No. The Business Class side of the Silver Kris lounge is open to SQ econ pax who are Elite Gold and above (or is it PPS Club and above?). Not sure if it is open to other Star Alliance Gold members travelling on SQ in econ.

It's open to Elite Gold and above. About the others I am not sure.

Quoting SwissA330 (Reply 10):
The Priority tag has no influence, only the 'real' baggage tag, it contains info about your destination, class and whether your are transfer etc.

?? So what is the priority tag for? When I as a Kris Flyer Elite Gold travel in Eco, my luggage with priority tag is always amongst the first to appear on the belt.
"No more window seats in business class, sir!" "Any in economy? Yes? Then downgrade me!"

OHLHD

Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:01 pm

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 18):
I cannot speak in an educated manner about LX or SQ

I worked for Swiss some years back and they sort their bags inbound to ZRH. They have a F,J and Y-Class container ( or more if necessary). There was also "Short Connex in Switzerland" which is equal to Fast-Transfer bags.

The 5th part of the sort are the "city bags".

This could be what we call the Y-class container.

Do you think the pax would give a damn if their bag was loaded into the "economy container" when they were sitting in First or Business??? I

There is a difference. The Economy ( BY)container is the first to be loaded and therefore the last to be off-loaded So if there are 5 BY container ( Local baggage of a eco pax) it takes quite some time before they are offloaded if however you fly first and your container is taken out first or second and immediately offloaded you will have your bags a lot earlier then Economy. This is why there are such things like Business and First Class tags.

This is not true. All bags inbound to the US have to go through customs, even if you are just transiting the US. There is no such thing as "quicktransfer" because all the bags have to go through customs and CTX screening anyway.

To the US is a complete different story of course since you have to go through customs.  Smile If you fly via an European hub you will find a segregation of bags.  Smile

zeke

Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:34 pm

from http://www.staralliance.com/en/travellers/benefits/lounges.html

"We regret that due to space restrictions, Star Alliance Gold members may not access the Senator Lounges in Stuttgart and Paris (CDG) or the Scandinavian Lounge in Bangkok. In Paris (CDG) Star Alliance Gold memebrs may use the LH Frequent Traveller lounge facilities.

In Singapore we offer access to the Singapore Airlines Premium Lounge instead of the Silver Kris Lounge (Raffles Class)."
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

davescj

Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:12 pm

There is no such thing as "quicktransfer" because all the bags have to go through customs and CTX screening anyway.

As OHLHD said, it is more an intra-Europe thing. For example, if I fly FCO -- LHR -- ORD (or ORD LHR FCO), and have say 55 min to change in LHR (yeah, right....sure) the baggage check in person will tag the bag "QUICK TRANSFER 4"

I don't see the bag again until I hit ORD. I just sprint to security, stand in line, go through security in London to go back airside, and sprint for the plane.

On the other hand, when I've had 4 hrs to kill in LHR, it has been tagged "LONG LAYOVER TERMINAL 4"

Again, I have only seen this w/in the EU countries.

Dave

OHLHD

Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:49 pm

Quoting Davescj (Reply 27):
Again, I have only seen this w/in the EU countries.

I have it on LX,AY,OS,QR and EK.  Smile

afay1

Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:11 am

Swiss is a known troublemaker in this regard, I was told last year that the Star Gold sign literally means that LX is a member of Star Alliance and the fact that I was on an F class flight with United out of Zurich did not mean that I was entitled to use some of the Swiss owned and operated lounges. I followed up with an email which, I kid you not, said that they would reprimand the employee for telling me the truth and confirmed that some of their own lounges are for LX and LH Gold and First Class Intl passengers only no matter what the signs and regulations say. They also acknowledged the sign is in fact there and might be "confusing." Take this story as you will...

jfidler

Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:23 am

Things get murky when entering a contracted lounge with a guest. I had the same problem 2 days ago, traveling TLL-FRA on LH as an SK Star Alliance Gold member. The lounge was not operated by LH (it was contracted to a non-airline), and they would only allow me into the lounge but not my traveling companion (who did not have *G status). At FRA, we were both allowed into the LH Senator Lounge, which is operated by LH.

I believe that since the lounge you refer to was a contracted lounge, then they did indeed have the right to refuse entry for your traveling companion as the companion was not also *G.

twixer85

Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:24 am

Three cabin first is used exclusively for First class passengers only. The Business lounge is used for Gold or Silver members. My understanding is that no guests are allowed. A one-day pass would need to be purchased for the guest.

OA260

Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:29 am

Quoting Jfidler (Reply 30):
Things get murky when entering a contracted lounge with a guest. I had the same problem 2 days ago, traveling TLL-FRA on LH as an SK Star Alliance Gold member

That really is something that needs to be addressed by Star. Its not good enough . You should be able to take a guest in to any lounge that Star Gold members are allowed in .

Also I can understand the bit about not being able to use the LH and LX 1st Class lounges as its exclusive but the others are not.

sq_ek_freak

Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:13 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 7):
The Priority tags are hit and miss anyway !!! 50% my bag comes off first 50% last !!! Always flying in J class.

I would say that depends on the airline, and the airport. With Star, my experiences have been great on UA PS and International Bussiness, my bags were always off right away. With SQ Singapore Changi is a dream to fly through anyway, but at other more chaotic airports such as TBIT at LAX they have always honored the seperate claim for Priority tagged bags. The Star airline I have had the most trouble with is TG. My bags have come out near last off the belt at LAX, HAN, MNL, KTM, SIN and a host of other places, even when flying First Class. What I find most inexusable is when this happens on regular basis at Suvarnabhumi, their so called new home. I have more or less given up on TG, their in flight service was what gave them their edge, but it seems that just when they upgraded their hardware, their cabin crew took it as their chance to sit back and give nothing more than lackluster service at best.
Keep Discovering

jfidler

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:19 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 32):
That really is something that needs to be addressed by Star. Its not good enough . You should be able to take a guest in to any lounge that Star Gold members are allowed in .

I fully agree. For example, I'm flying on LH out of MNL very soon. The lounge there is run by NW if I'm not mistaken. So I'm not sure if I'm allowed, as an SK *G member, to take a guest. I shouldn't have to worry about this. The rule should be if you're *G and flying on a *A airline, then you have access to the lounge along with 1 guest -- always.

sandrozrh

RE: SWISS: Not Honoring Star Alliance Gold Privile

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:31 am

Quoting Afay1 (Reply 29):
Swiss is a known troublemaker in this regard

No they're not. They clearly have their rules, like most *A members have (ie. SQ at SIN). If you had read their rules before your travel, you would have known that you're only allowed to enter the LX F class lounge at ZRH if you're travelling in LX First or if you're a HON circle member.

http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/services...ort/Pages/lounges_switzerland.aspx

As a UA F class passenger, you're allowed into the Star Gold lounge at ZRH, but not the LX F class lounge. They're planning to expand their lounges at ZRH so that might change, but for now, the rules are clear.

The different lounge policies are a problem across *A and need to be adressed, but solely blaming LX for that is ridiculous. Next time, if you wish to use LX's F class lounge at ZRH, travel in LX's F class.

davescj

Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:11 pm

This lounge drama isn't only with *A. OW has some odd policy exclusions as well. Admirals Club (which is the AA pay club) is also the biz lounge internationally. BUT, if you're OW saphire you get the lounge, but not if you're AA Plat/AAExec plat traveling w/in NA.

Then again, BA doesn't sell lounge access -- and Admirals Club won't get you in,but I think QF club does. Where if you're AA, you can't get into BA Club unless BA code share (I think).

Again, the alliances really need to get more universal in their norms or their pax get annoyed and confused!!

Dave

N1120A

Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:19 pm

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 2):

That is what US at LGW claimed when they almost didn't put a priority tag on my bags. They put them on and my bags were off first both at CLT customs and at LAX.

The *G lounge access reciprocity is, to my knowledge, for * Alliance OPERATED lounges, not contract lounges.

If the airline is contracting the operation of their lounge somewhere for their own members, then they should very well extend that to the Gold members.

Quoting Davescj (Reply 36):
Admirals Club (which is the AA pay club) is also the biz lounge internationally. BUT, if you're OW saphire you get the lounge, but not if you're AA Plat/AAExec plat traveling w/in NA.

Actually, that isn't strange at all. If you are a United MP member, you have to buy the Red Carpet Club membership to sit in there even on an international ticket if you are a Premier Exec or up (Star Gold). If, however, you are flying with US Airways on an international, you need only show your Star Gold card or boarding pass.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

davescj

Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:22 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 37):
If you are a United MP member, you have to buy the Red Carpet Club membership to sit in there even on an international ticket if you are a Premier Exec or up (Star Gold).

I didn't realize that. What does UA do for international biz? seperate lounge?

Dave

N1120A

Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:41 pm

Quoting Davescj (Reply 38):

I didn't realize that. What does UA do for international biz? seperate lounge?

International Business and First have full Red Carpet Club access. Further, United operates United First International Lounges at all the hubs plus JFK, NRT, FRA, LHR, SYD and HKG for the exclusive use of international travelers flying United First.

DLPMMM

Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:50 pm

The *G lounge access reciprocity is, to my knowledge, for * Alliance OPERATED lounges, not contract lounges.

If the airline is contracting the operation of their lounge somewhere for their own members, then they should very well extend that to the Gold members.

Why?

It is not an Airline lounge, it is a contract (Sats in this case) lounge that a particular airline pays on a per person entering basis. Often it is only available to the airline during certain hours as well.

As an example, DL uses the BA lounge in MUC on a contract basis in the mornings. The lounge is staffed and run by BA personnel. DL gives each DL Biz passenger and each Skyteam Elite Plus (same as *G) passenger a written invitation to the lounge at check-in for the DL flight from MUC.

DL pays BA a fixed amount for each of the written invitations that BA collects.

There is no reason that DL should be obligated to pay for a CO passenger to enter the BA lounge just because the passenger is Skyteam Elite Plus, much less the guest of a CO passenger.

N1120A

Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:40 pm

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 40):
It is not an Airline lounge, it is a contract (Sats in this case) lounge that a particular airline pays on a per person entering basis.

In the case of many contract lounges, the airline may well pay a set price per month/year for the service. In that case, the contract lounge is functioning as the lounge for that airline at that airport.

Coal
Topic Author

Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:18 pm

Quoting SQ_EK_freak (Reply 33):
The Star airline I have had the most trouble with is TG

You're not the only one! I flew TG from BKK to CNX in Business (on a 744 - very nice for a short flight) and my bag came out last. Had to wait quite a while for it.

Quoting Davescj (Reply 36):
BUT, if you're OW saphire you get the lounge, but not if you're AA Plat/AAExec plat traveling w/in NA.

I believe this is the case accross all alliances in the US. I know that a UA or US *G cannot use the *G lounges when travelling in Econ, but other *G members can.

Cheers
Coal

N1120A

Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:29 am

Quoting Coal (Reply 42):
I believe this is the case accross all alliances in the US. I know that a UA or US *G cannot use the *G lounges when travelling in Econ, but other *G members can.

I believe that one can use a Star Gold lounge when traveling in Y as long as it is international, so Mexico and Canada apply too.

afay1

Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:30 am

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 35):
No they're not. They clearly have their rules, like most *A members have (ie. SQ at SIN). If you had read their rules before your travel, you would have known that you're only allowed to enter the LX F class lounge at ZRH if you're travelling in LX First or if you're a HON circle member.

Then why did they have Star Alliance signs outside of the particular lounge still!? I actually couldn't get access to the LX F arrivals lounge, they happily let me into the LX F departure one as I had a UA F ticket. I realize that some cultures demand order above all else, but geez...

sandrozrh

Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:59 am

Quoting Afay1 (Reply 44):
Then why did they have Star Alliance signs outside of the particular lounge still!? I actually couldn't get access to the LX F arrivals lounge, they happily let me into the LX F departure one as I had a UA F ticket. I realize that some cultures demand order above all else, but geez...

Because the LX F departure lounge is INSIDE the LX Star Gold departure lounge. You obviously weren't in the F dep. lounge but merely in the Star Gold lounge, thus they also didn't let you enter the F class arrivals lounge. They knew what they were doing, it was you who got confused, that's all.

This also explains the Star Alliance signs outside of the lounge.

afay1

Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:04 pm

I know it is inside, I was there, they have showers, a restaurant area, etc. I had to press a button for a door to open and someone came and checked my ticket first. The arrivals lounge shouldn't have a star alliance sign if they don't accept star alliance passengers, that is all. Why bother being a member other than they do what the Germans say?

sandrozrh

Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:42 pm

Quoting Afay1 (Reply 46):

You can get into the arrivals lounge if you're a Star Gold member (I believe) or travel in SWISS C or F class. And stop blaming LX for all for chrissake, as this thread shows quite clearly, this isn't just an LX policy, but a policy among many alliance members. Premium service for their own premium members first. After all, they didn't earn a cent from you did they? So you should be happy that you were able to use their departure lounges.

nyc2theworld

Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:52 pm

Actually, that isn't strange at all. If you are a United MP member, you have to buy the Red Carpet Club membership to sit in there even on an international ticket if you are a Premier Exec or up (Star Gold). If, however, you are flying with US Airways on an international, you need only show your Star Gold card or boarding pass.

Does UA then have any other lounges in the USA besides the RCC? Because I've been in a UA lounge as a guest traveling Domestic.

I was flying PHX-ORD-LGA and my friend was flying (who is 1K/*Gold) PHX-DEN. I was allowed to enter the United lounge at PHX while waiting for our flights untill it closed. (He also convinced the station agent to check me in 4+ hours early). Mind you, I was just a regular MP member, no status and we weren't on the same ticket. This was a couple of years ago (prob about 3) so it possibly may have changed??
Always wonderers if this "last and final boarding call" is in fact THE last and final boarding call.

sandrozrh

Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:14 pm

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 47):
You can get into the arrivals lounge if you're a Star Gold member (I believe) or travel in SWISS C or F class

Correction here, i looked up the relecant information:

Quote:
SWISS Arrival Lounge
Freshen up immediately after your arrival, just off to your left after passport control in Arrivals 1: showers, lavatory, two relax areas. Or make use of our phones and faxes and two computer workstations. The good cafeteria serves food and drink while you book your hotel or rental car or enquire about train connections.
Access: free for Miles & More members with status HON Circle, Senator, Frequent Traveller, First and Business Class passengers of SWISS and Lufthansa.
Economy passengers and Star Alliance Gold customers of any Star Alliance member airline pay a usage fee of CHF 30 (EUR 20 / USD 20).
Opening hours: daily from 6:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/services...ort/Pages/lounges_switzerland.aspx

So I believe you were treated correctly. If you had wished to get into the arrivals lounge, you should have paid the fee. As i said, premium services for own premium passengers first. You did get every service you were entitled to and you have absolutely no reason to complain.

The reason why there is a Star Alliance sign in front of the arrivals lounge (is there even one? I can't recall ever having seen one) is obviously because Star Gold FFers can pay the usage fee to enter the lounge (just like LX Economy pax).

So again, I don't know what you're complaining about. Just because you're flying UA F class doesn't mean you'll get into every lounge and get every service at the airport. It's hardly LX's fault that UA does not have an F class lounge at ZRH (which would obviously be overkill indeed). And being Star Gold, you'll get the (admitteldy rather limited) service for Star Gold members, which is the Star Gold lounge.