airtebiong

Etops Related Delay - How Common?

Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:41 pm

Last week, NH 202, operated by B773ER, was delayed for an hour because of weather issues in Siberia. ANA said that the delay was inevitable due to the bad weather at diversion airports. Im just wondering if this happens to other carriers, and if so, how often?

Another thing, how easy is it to change the flight plan to mae sure that diversion airports are available?

cheers!

[Edited 2007-11-21 10:47:57]
i believe that beauty is skin deep, and my skin is very deep!!

yvrtoyyz

RE: Etops Related Delay - How Common?

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:50 pm

There are many factors that can effect ETOPS flights which could create delays:

1) No suitable alternate ETOPS airports with long enough runways for the particular aircraft
2) Limited alternate airports for ETOPS diversions for airlines based on their history, political ties and agreements
3) Wx may be down in all potential ETOPS alternate airports
4) No two ETOPS alternate airports that are close enough within the circles in order to be compliant
5) Flying with a restricted ETOPS rating because the aircraft is new to the airline (ie. the airline has ETOPS rating of 120 for all other flights, but a new aircraft to their fleet may only be rated at ETOPS 90, thus offering limited ETOPS alternates)

-YVRtoYYZ

Charliejag1

Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:29 am

Realistically, while all 5 of these items could impact ETOPS operations, only #3 would cause delays on a particular day. All the others are long term issues rather than day to day operational issues that come up. One issue we have in the US SOC (ops center) where I work is a delay caused by an ETOPS check. This happens when we have to swap 757s on a Hawaii flight. If the new Hawaii a/c was not originally scheduled to fly to Hawaii it will not have had the daily ETOPS check. This inspection must be current before the ETOPS flight leaves and usually takes about 60 minutes.

ADXMatt

Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:12 pm

Quoting Airtebiong (Thread starter):
Im just wondering if this happens to other carriers, and if so, how often?

Not very often at all. I don't remember one at CO for the 2 1/2 years I've bean here.

Quoting Airtebiong (Thread starter):
Another thing, how easy is it to change the flight plan to mae sure that diversion airports are available?

Usually not difficult providing that you don't mind the consequences. i.e. longer enroute time, increased burn, maybe less payload due to more fuel. etc.

I don't know the city pair but the aircraft could have a technical problem that reduced the 180ETOPS to a 120ETOPS further limiting their available etops airports as well.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos