jcavinato

Airports That Were Never Built

Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:48 pm

In the late 1950s the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey wanted to build a super-airport to handle the growth that the then Idlewild (now JFK) would not be able to handle in the late 20th century. This was to have been built in what was called the Great Swamp area of New Jersey, and it would have bounded Chatham, Madison, Basking Ridge, Morristown, and Meyersville and Stirling on the south. It would have taken out what is called Green Village. Size wise it would have been about what DFW is today.

Local opposition as well as political irritation over the head of the Port Authority (a self appointed dictator who seemed accountable to no one) killed the project by about 1961. My parents were very active in fighting it. They attended many meetings and got state and federal officials involved. The angle that killed the airport was getting the area declared a national wildlife refuge. If it was later in the decade, it also would have been killed for it being one of the largest wetlands in the U.S.

My question is: are there any other "ghost" or never-built airports like that anywhere else in the world? In know some previous threads include South New Jersey and outside Miami. But, others?

OzarkD9S

RE: Airports That Were Never Built

Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:53 pm

There was much discussion in the 60's and 70's about building a Chicago airport in Lake Michigan.

Not to mention the Chicago non-built airports at Lake Calumet and Peotone.

[Edited 2007-11-24 13:53:42]
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

PlymSpotter

Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:01 pm

In the UK I can think of one major one; London East, which was due to be constructed on marshland to the East of London. I seem to remember the main reason why this never went ahead was controversy regarding the ecology and wildlife in the area. There was also a proposition for a floating airport to be built off the Dutch coast to relieve the pressure from Schipol, which would have been linked by an undersea tunnel to the existing AMS. It would have been constructed around a central circular concrete 'island' and would have rotated depending on the direction of the wind so that the runway was always correctly lined. I believe it was the cost and practicality of construction which put pay to this idea, for now.

There are several more I can think of on a local level where I live; Plymouth has had at least three proposals. Firstly there was a plan for a large airport in North East Cornwall, although this never went ahead, secondly another plan was put forwards for an airport the the East of the city, again though this was blocked by local residents and finally another plan was recently drawn up for a large airport on one of the last remaining suitable sites near to the city, but this has now been designated for housing - so we'll be stuck with the tiny old airport forever now it seems.  grumpy 

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

dz09

Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:05 pm

Quoting Jcavinato (Thread starter):
This was to have been built in what was called the Great Swamp area of New Jersey, and it would have bounded Chatham, Madison, Basking Ridge, Morristown, and Meyersville and Stirling on the south.

The only thing you're now allowed to build in those areas are multi-million dollar homes. that area along with bedminster and harding are the second or third richest areas in the country.

thomasphoto60

Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:25 pm

I'll defer to long time Houston residents on this (especially on the exact details), however I seem to recall reading about plans to build a new commercial airport on the west side of Houston (I believe near Katy) to give residents on the then booming west side another option from the long commutes to either IAH and HOU. The area that was proposed was on protected wetlands and the local Sierra Club quickly put a kibosh by threating to take the issue to court.

Whatever happened top Palmdale as a replacement for LAX?

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

B757capt

Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:28 pm

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 1):
Not to mention the Chicago non-built airports at Lake Calumet and Peotone.

The State of Illinois has all the plans on the table to open Abe Lincoln intl Airport by 2010.........I know i know still not open but, in the process..................
The views written by this user are in no manner the views of my employer and should not be thought as such.

OzarkD9S

Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:36 pm

Quoting B757capt (Reply 5):

The State of Illinois has all the plans on the table to open Abe Lincoln intl Airport by 2010.........I know i know still not open but, in the process..................

Abraham Lincoln Capital Airport is already open...in Springfield.

Add to my list the non-built St Louis Airport that was planned for Waterloo Illinois.

XJetflyer

Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:14 pm

Quoting Thomasphoto60 (Reply 4):
I'll defer to long time Houston residents on this (especially on the exact details), however I seem to recall reading about plans to build a new commercial airport on the west side of Houston (I believe near Katy) to give residents on the then booming west side another option from the long commutes to either IAH and HOU. The area that was proposed was on protected wetlands and the local Sierra Club quickly put a kibosh by threating to take the issue to court.

Well we are getting an airport that will handle smaller jets very soon. A single investor with lots of money is going to build this site for the oil business on the west side of Houston. My understanding is the first runway will be able to handle 50 seat aircraft and smaller. I will see if I can find the link.

NASCARAirforce

Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:25 pm

The new San Diego Airport comes to mind. It will probably never get built due to all the different issues it is facing. A couple interesting proposals were building an airport on the American/Mexican border to be shared by San Diego and Tijuana. Another was to build one way out in the desert and take people out there by underground hyper speed rail, and of course Miramar, which was shot down.

There was talk in the late 1980s/1990s about building a second airport in Detroit area in Macomb County somewhere since Macomb County is the opposite side of town from DTW. Another proposal was to close Selfridge as a military base and turn it into a commercial airport but that got shot down. It looks like FNT is becoming the second Detroit area airport as people from Macomb County and northern Oakland use it.

DAL767400ER

Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:51 pm

Sometime back in the late 70's/early 80's was the first time plans came up to build a new intercontinental airport for Hamburg close to the village of Kaltenkirchen, a good 13 miles north of the location of HAM. People were expecting too limited movements at HAM due to its intersecting runways, so they brought up the longterm proposal for a new airport to be build with 2 parallel runways, with the pax terminal and cargo areas all in between the runways, similar to MUC or BBI, with enough land "put aside" for 2 further runways. Sadly, building that airport would have required a few trees to be cut down, so all the treehuggers came out of their moleholes and protested the hell out of it till the plan was put to death. The topic occassionally comes up every once in a while, but sadly nothing ever comes of it. Considering that Hamburg could have had a MUC-style airport a decade before the new MUC airport was build, chances are HAM would nowadays be LH's second major hub.

scorpy

Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:05 am

In Sydney there is Badgery's creek airport that has been talked about for 20+ years. Adding the 3rd runway took off some of the pressure but SYD gets crowded at certain times of the day. Having lived in cities with multiple airports and cities with one, the sooner we can get a second airport the better - providing some competition to macquarie bank!

hiflyer

Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:30 am

In South Florida there were two attempts.....one failed attempt ended up with only one runway out in the Glades to replace MIA. The second was to replace both FLL and MIA with one super airport out west on the Dade/Broward border....however Broward pulled out first and the whole thing collapsed.

PITrules

Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:34 am

Miami (Everglades)
New Orleans
Mexico City

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 1):
There was much discussion in the 60's and 70's about building a Chicago airport in Lake Michigan

Cleveland also had similar proposals for an airport island in Lake Erie.

Quoting Scorpy (Reply 10):
n Sydney there is Badgery's creek airport that has been talked about for 20+ years. Adding the 3rd runway took off some of the pressure but SYD gets crowded at certain times of the day. Having lived in cities with multiple airports and cities with one, the sooner we can get a second airport the better - providing some competition to macquarie bank!

They should lift the artificial cap on movements at SYD before they even think about a second airport. As long as SYD's airfield operates well below design capacity, a second airport is a waste.
FLYi

Hagic

Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:38 am

I would add a 'super-airport' ( YMX ), which was actually built but unfortunately, not used as initially planned. YMX was a visionary idea, but only time was able to proof that YUL was difficult to replace, given its convenient location from downtown Montreal. I therefore believe that the Canadian government's decision to name YUL before YMX's 'brain' (ex Prime Minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau) was a correct one as he wanted to give Montreal a world-class airport 'for the future' without forcing a YUL shutdown. The final course of action was decided by the airlines and people from Montreal, and that decision was to stay at YUL.

[Edited 2007-11-24 16:39:42]
There's only one freedom of the press: That of the survivors - (G. Arciniegas)

PITrules

Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:51 am

Here's an airport I hope never gets built:

http://gladstonepartners-lp.com/index.shtml

As long as PIT continues its dramatic decline, I don't see a need for this airport when PIT can handle the air cargo objectives of this airport; in addition to adding the midwest to the potential catchment area.

PA officials are quick to blast US Airways for leaving PIT, but then they themselves turn around to support this unnecessary airport which would damage future cargo development at PIT even more.

As long as PIT sits between the northeast and midwest, and has 4 long and underutilized runways - there is no need for this airport in Luzerne County, PA.

[Edited 2007-11-24 16:53:49]
FLYi

EZEIZA

Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:52 am

There was a project in Buenos Aires during the 90's to build the "Aeroisla", an airport on the Rio de la Plata that if my memory is correct was supposed to unify all traffic, meaning that all operations of AEP and EZE would end in this new airport.
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

rw717

Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:30 am

It will be interesting to see if the proposed Ivanpah Aiport outside of Las Vegas will be built. Something has to be done though as LAS will be at max capacity by 2015 if not sooner.
Reno Air - The Biggest Little Airline in the World

ThePalauan

Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:01 am

After the crash of KAL 801 back in August 1997, there was some discussion of moving flights from GUM to Anderson Air Force Base only because the approach path didn't fly over as many houses as the current one. The talks didn't last so long but probably just came up as an issue that if another airliner crashed while trying to land on GUM, it could possibly crash into one of the many residential areas lying on both ends of the approach paths.

In Palau, I believe either late last year or earlier this year, there were plans for the island of Peleliu to be developed by this Asian firm (I forget the name) into this futuristic-looking paradise. It's called the Nautilius Project. Essentially, the entire island would become a tourist attraction featuring a mall, golf courses, hotels, and a new airport for Palau that would overshadow ROR and be capable of handling bigger aircraft like 747s. There was an artists' rendition of the island in one of the Palauan papers but alas, I forgot to clip it out. I think the project was rejected altogether. I can't recall.
You can take the boy out of the island, but not the island out of the boy!

czbbflier

Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:00 am

Twice in Vancouver, BC, there has twice been discussion about building a new airport at Spanish Banks, today a very popular beach looking North toward the mountains and the downtown core and due north of the existing YVR. 1928 and 1962.
Reference to the City of Vancouver Archives

The beach itself is very wide and the need for landfill would have been minimal for the runway.

No chance of it being built today now. Multi-million dollar houses line the beach as well as the beach being a very popular destination.

zippyjet

Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:33 am

Quoting Hiflyer (Reply 11):
In South Florida there were two attempts.....one failed attempt ended up with only one runway out in the Glades to replace MIA. The second was to replace both FLL and MIA with one super airport out west on the Dade/Broward border....however Broward pulled out first and the whole thing collapsed.

My how times have changed! Back in the late 60s the Boeing 2707 SST was taking off and, in South Florida in the Everglades at the Big Cypress Swamp there were grand plans to build the biggest airport in the world at least at that time.

http://sflwww.er.usgs.gov/publications/reports/jetportimpact/jetportimpact_mag/jetportimpact/img/jetportimpact_1_1.gif

Hope y'all enjoyed that 60s sketch. And the project on the Dade/Broward border is where Pro Player stadium is today!
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

PanHAM

Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:39 am

Kaltenkirchen/Hamburg was in the mid 70s. The States of Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein had bought the land around the village of Nuetzen already. Unfortunately, they did not have a politician with the visions and the power a Franz-Jospeh Strauss had.. Chance missed for one of the wealthiest European regions to have a state-of-the art airport.

Another, may be little known project, was the replacement for DUS at a village called "Drensteinfurth". That is somewhere in the triangle of PAD/DTM/FMO. Now, OK, making these 3 airports into one would make some sense. Making this a replacement for DUS was idiotic, too far away to carry the name.DUS. In this case, it was good that short sighted politicians were unable to push this through.
powered by Eierlikör

PanAm747

Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:08 am

There are drawings floating around on the internet as to the proposal to move SAN from Lindbergh Field to a joint-use facility at Miramar. Mention the word "passenger aircraft" or "civilian traffic" and you immediately get half the population thinking "high noise" and "lower property values". Couple that with being "at war" and you have proponents screaming treason at even SUGGESTING it, and you've got an airpor that will NEVER be.  cry 
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

PVDCMHOZ

Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:37 am

in the early 1990s there was a plan to replace TF Green (PVD) and to relieve BOS with Uxbridge/Douglas Int'l Airport. The proposed airport would have been in MA in the town of Uxbridge and Douglas (right over the RI border). There was also plans to replace or compliment with facilities in Fitchburg (Ft Daverns) or Otis AFB... i could be wrong but this is before MHT and PVD expanded......

B757capt

Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:57 am

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 6):
Abraham Lincoln Capital Airport is already open...in Springfield.

No sir this airport is the proposed Peotone location. I think we all are aware of SPI.

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/airport_development/ssa/

http://abelincolnairport.com/

http://masterplan.southsuburbanairport.com/
The views written by this user are in no manner the views of my employer and should not be thought as such.

AussieItaliano

Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:12 am

Don't know if this counts, but there was also at one time a plan to land fill the area between the current LGA and Rikers Island to create a larger airport in NYC. It probably never even made it to the Environmental Impact Study stage. I know it wasn't popular.
Third Runway - LHR, Second Runway - LGW, Build Them Both!!!

BestWestern

Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:23 am

DUBLIN - DOCKLANDS
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

fuffla

Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:48 am

Badgery's Creek, what a flop that was!

I think Newcastle as well as the third runway at SYD have eased pressure for a 2nd to be built in Sydney!

OzarkD9S

Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:18 pm

Quoting B757capt (Reply 23):

No sir this airport is the proposed Peotone location. I think we all are aware of SPI.

Well aware of the difference. But does Illinois need to name 2 airports after Abraham Lincoln? Well, actually they don't since Peotone isn't "needed".

continental180

Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:40 pm

Quoting DZ09 (Reply 3):
The only thing you're now allowed to build in those areas are multi-million dollar homes. that area along with bedminster and harding are the second or third richest areas in the country.

thats exactly true, i live in basking ridge, home of verizon and such.....2nd richest county in the United States, just to correct you.....You cant go past a house that is less then 3000 sq ft, only 5--6 thousand......one of my friends lives in a 20,000 sq ft house up in mendam......HUGE.

not trying to brag.

intresting to see what would have happened to that airport though

flyboysp

Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:57 pm

Quoting PITrules (Reply 12):
They should lift the artificial cap on movements at SYD before they even think about a second airport. As long as SYD's airfield operates well below design capacity, a second airport is a waste.

IMO, that would be the better idea, but that would be political suicide, so the chances of the cap lifting are not that great.
#proudtobeabulldog

GrahamHill

Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:54 pm

My question is: are there any other "ghost" or never-built airports like that anywhere else in the world?

There were discussion about building a third airport near Paris, to relieve CDG and ORY. Almost 15 years ago, the project was to build the airport in the Beauce region (south-west of Paris). Project aborted.

In 2001, the government wanted to build it in Chaulnes, some 130 km noth-east of Paris. More details in this BBC article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/world/europe/1658259.stm

The article dates back from 2001. Correct me if I am wrong, but the project in Chaulnes has also been aborted.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

flashflyguy

Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:06 pm

Quoting Scorpy (Reply 10):
In Sydney there is Badgery's creek airport that has been talked about for 20+ years. ..... the sooner we can get a second airport the better - providing some competition to macquarie bank!

Oh it's been going on since the early 70's. Badgerys Creek was the last site to be "seriously" considered. I don't see a second airport for Sydney ever...I'm sure a secret deal was struck with Macquarie Bank to ensure it doesn't materialise.

Quoting Fuffla (Reply 26):
Badgery's Creek, what a flop that was!

I think Newcastle as well as the third runway at SYD have eased pressure for a 2nd to be built in Sydney!

To think the land was resumed years ago and now sits doing nothing. While housing estates creep ever closer, ensuring an airport will not be viable on the site. They should just release the land for more housing now.

You might just be correct about Newcastle....I know of people that live at Camden and drive to Newcastle to catch flights, reasoning that the flights are cheaper out of Newcastle than Sydney for where they want to go. The freeways and M7 make it a relatively quick trip to and from.

I found a copy of the EIS for the Second Sydney Airport Proposal from March 1997, that I have and scanned it. This covered both the Badgerys Creek site and also a secondary site at Holsworthy. Holsworthy was never a serious contender. Being a military site they'd have had to go right over the place and clear out the unexploded munitions.

All the larger size scans can be found here - My Flickr Page
(NOTE: The website mentioned on the EIS is no longer valid)

abrelosojos

Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:08 pm

Quoting ThePalauan (Reply 17):
In Palau, I believe either late last year or earlier this year, there were plans for the island of Peleliu to be developed by this Asian firm (I forget the name) into this futuristic-looking paradise. It's called the Nautilius Project. Essentially, the entire island would become a tourist attraction featuring a mall, golf courses, hotels, and a new airport for Palau that would overshadow ROR and be capable of handling bigger aircraft like 747s. There was an artists' rendition of the island in one of the Palauan papers but alas, I forgot to clip it out. I think the project was rejected altogether. I can't recall.

= I believe this idea is not completely shelved, and was discussed in the Indipendence Day edition of the newspaper this year ... who knows ... though there is an "extended" airport being constructed just north of the current terminal.

-A.
Live, and let live.

B757capt

Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:11 pm

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 27):
Well aware of the difference. But does Illinois need to name 2 airports after Abraham Lincoln? Well, actually they don't since Peotone isn't "needed".

That i agree completely with! I wish they would use GYY to the full extent.

EI321

Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:52 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 25):
DUBLIN - DOCKLANDS

when was that?

mirrodie

Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:03 pm

One can find tons of airfields that should have and could have been, right here.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/NY/Airfields_NY_E.htm#livingstonmanor

I'm partial to Livingston Manor, no airports and an area that pertty underserved, IMHO.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

Kevin777

Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Back in the 60's and 70's there were talks about building a new Copenhagen airport on the island of Saltholm, in the Oresund strait between Sweden and Denmark, with bridge/tunnel connection to both countries. It went pretty far, but never materialized anyway, because of environmental oppostion, and probably also because it would have been quite an overkill for the limited market there; one that could be (and still is) served by CPH and to some extend MMX without causing severe capacity problems, even long in to the future. Now, the 5-year old Oresund bridge does resemble the old idea to some extend, although CPH still is on the Danish island of Amager, and not on Saltholm.

Regards,

Kevin777
"I was waiting for you at DFW, but you must have been in LUV" CPH-HAM-CPH CR9

siromega

Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:06 pm

Quoting RW717 (Reply 16):
It will be interesting to see if the proposed Ivanpah Aiport outside of Las Vegas will be built. Something has to be done though as LAS will be at max capacity by 2015 if not sooner.

The only thing stopping IVP will be if LAS runs out of water before the airport opens and everyone leaves this place (except for people who actually work in or otherwise support casinos).

planesavvy

Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:20 pm

One story that has fascinated me for years is the new airport for Durban in South Africa. The current airport has a runway which is only 8000ft (2439m). It used to get airlines from around the world including BA(744), SQ(744), GF(340), AI(747), LT(L10). But these have all pulled out over the years as their flights had to stop at JNB as they could not go out with full payload. Now the only international flights it gets are 319s of Air Mauritius and a few flights to Mozambique and Swaziland.

I have seen a map as far back as 1966 with an area to the north of Durban marked out for a new airport designed to replace the current one. Nothing has been done about it until recently. With the upcoming football world cup, they had revived the project and it even got named King Shaka International Airport after the most famous Zulu king. But typical South African politics has found the project stuck in the mud, and it seems unlikely it will go ahead now.

It was supposed to be large enough to cater for longhaul flights upto the size of a 380. And would handle mainly charter flights direct from Europe.

Hopefully it will be built one day!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Shaka_International_Airport

OO-VEG

Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:30 pm

There have been planns to move AMS on a new island in the sea, the same principal as KIX. With the building of a 5th runway those planns have been put on hold untill...

OzarkD9S

Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:44 pm

Quoting B757capt (Reply 33):

That i agree completely with! I wish they would use GYY to the full extent.

And I agree whole heartedly with THAT. Once the work is done on the RR/roadway relocation, and if and when the third runway is built, GYY will take it's place as Chicagoland's third airport.

N62NA

Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:47 pm

Quoting DZ09 (Reply 3):

Quoting Continental180 (Reply 28):
thats exactly true, i live in basking ridge, home of verizon and such.....2nd richest county in the United States, just to correct you.....You cant go past a house that is less then 3000 sq ft, only 5--6 thousand......one of my friends lives in a 20,000 sq ft house up in mendam......HUGE.

Just to bring back a dose of reality to the above two quoted posts.... the multi-million dollar homes are being built around the Great Swamp, not actually in it.

Of course, losing all this valuable buffer land is having a very bad effect on the ecology of the Great Swamp.

nonrevman

Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:49 pm

I remember back in Austin when it was decided that the Robert Mueller Municipal Airport could no longer accommodate the growth of the city. Before it was ultimately decided that Bergstrom Air Force Base would become the new airport, there were plans in place to construct a new airport to the east of the city near Manor. Each terminal would have a "V" shape, and if 5 terminals were built, they would form a lone star pattern (imagine 5 "V"s pointing away from each other from a center of a circle). There had also been talk of a joint San Antonio/Austin airport between the two cities. The base closure at Bergstrom made that the best possible choice in the end.

Boeing7E7

Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:18 pm

Quoting RW717 (Reply 16):

IVP opens in 2017.

LTU932

Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:27 pm

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 9):
Sometime back in the late 70's/early 80's was the first time plans came up to build a new intercontinental airport for Hamburg close to the village of Kaltenkirchen, a good 13 miles north of the location of HAM.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 20):
Kaltenkirchen/Hamburg was in the mid 70s. The States of Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein had bought the land around the village of Nuetzen already.

I wanted to bring up "Kaltenkirchen Airport" as well. It's sad that it never happened, it would have allowed HAM to undergo major expansion by being moved there. Instead we're basically stuck with a landlocked airport that has no real space to expand. Public transportation to Kaltenkirchen wouldn't have been a problem either. Maybe the new airfield could have been built very close to the existing AKN line A1 that today goes between Kaltenkirchen and Norderstedt-Mitte (previously until Garstedt) to connect with the U-Bahn, and thus connecting it with the HVV network. People would have just had to pay a HVV fare to get there and use the rest of the network in Hamburg. It's sad that politicians lacked the will and backbone against the treehuggers and NIMBYs to make Kaltenkirchen happen. Hell, moving HAM to Kaltenkirchen would probably have also the advantage of the airport being able to allow 24 hour operations, unlike Fuhlsbüttel which, being inside the city, is heavily noise regulated and basically can't operate all the runways the way they'd like.

phl27rphotog

Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:06 pm

There used to be talk of building a mega-airport serving PHL in the South Jersey Pine Barrens, linked to the city by high-speed rail. Ha! Can you imagine that airport and the proposed one in North Jersey? Plus, you'd have McGuire AFB in the middle! The state would be a giant maze of runways surrounded by a giant maze of highways to get to them and swampland!
BillShullPhotography

fanofjets

Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:28 pm

The angle that killed the airport was getting the area declared a national wildlife refuge.

As a New Jerseyan, I am thank that monstrosity never got built. Better yet, the threat of the Jetport (as it was called then) helped preserve this area for future generations. Anyone who had the good fortune to have enjoyed this national park will appreciate the natural gem it is. The only things flying in and out of that area are migratory birds and a few raptors that have been rescued by the Raptor Trust, located on the Swamp's southern boundary. At that location, the most poignant "exhibit" is a bald eagle, rescued from the Exxon Valdez disaster - my favorite photograph (even beyond those I took of classic airliners) is our nation's symbol of freedom behind a chain link fence (a victim of our dependence on oil).

It is interesting to note that another airport existed at that time, namely Somerset Hills Airport (N64); this was in nearby Basking Ridge (one of the wealthy areas mentioned in previous posts), which borders the western edge of the Great Swamp and is home to one of the educational centers. By 1986, this airport was deemed redundant.
http://www.airfields-freeman.com/NJ/Airfields_NJ_Trenton.html

I love airplanes as much as everyone else on this forum, but there is a time and a place for everything, including airports. The Great Swamp was not the place!
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

continental180

Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:47 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 41):
Just to bring back a dose of reality to the above two quoted posts.... the multi-million dollar homes are being built around the Great Swamp, not actually in it.

Not True...There is not a Muli-million dollar house at least 1mile radias from the great swamp., you cant build around it., its all wetlands....i live in basking ridge, 2 miles from Great Swamp.....

just to correct you

ENU

Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:08 pm

Since 1997 there have been plans to move Schiphol Airport (AMS) to an artificial island (to be called Flyland) in the North Sea around 2020. However, for the time being the plans are shelved due to the very high costs and other developments enabling expansion at the current location of Schiphol.

See: http://www.wldelft.nl/cons/area/mse/edm/flyland/index.html

[Edited 2007-11-25 13:21:08]

Viscount724

Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:20 pm

Quoting Hagic (Reply 13):
I would add a 'super-airport' ( YMX ), which was actually built but unfortunately, not used as initially planned. YMX was a visionary idea, but only time was able to proof that YUL was difficult to replace, given its convenient location from downtown Montreal. I therefore believe that the Canadian government's decision to name YUL before YMX's 'brain' (ex Prime Minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau) was a correct one as he wanted to give Montreal a world-class airport 'for the future' without forcing a YUL shutdown. The final course of action was decided by the airlines and people from Montreal, and that decision was to stay at YUL.

Nobody has yet mentioned the new airport at Pickering, 20 miles east of YYZ, first announced by the Canadian government in 1972 (the year the Mirabel project was launched). It was going to be a mega-project similar to Mirabel. However local opposition and other political issues halted it before work could start. The federal government expropriated the land required for it in the early '70s (a much larger area than the site of the current YYZ) and still owns it and leases it to farmers. The project in somewhat smaller form was relaunched a few years ago and is again the subject of environmental protests etc. News item from 2004:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2004/11/17/airport041117.html

Related GTAA (Greater Toronto Airports Authority) documents:
http://www.gtaa.com/en/community_rel...ring_project/related_publications/