Barnesy2006
Topic Author

Anyone Flown AA Out Of STN?

Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:28 pm

As the topic says has anyone here flown on American Airlines yet out of Stansted? How was it compared to other london airports? Is the route proving a success and will there be any more routes launched except the obvious twice daily to JFK?

8herveg

RE: Anyone Flown AA Out Of STN?

Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:53 pm

Quoting Barnesy2006 (Thread starter):
Is the route proving a success and will there be any more routes launched except the obvious twice daily to JFK?

I hope ORD is announced. Thats the only one which seems obvious to me which could be launched. LAX is already served with Maxjet, who I heard are looking to serve MIA....BOS I think is already covered and is too small a market to add any extra flights to...same with DFW. So that really leaves ORD, which isn't served from STN....but was previously. Plus, ORD is a major AA hub for connecting flights whereas BOS, for example, is much smaller.

Cubsrule

Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:31 pm

Quoting 8herveg (Reply 1):
I hope ORD is announced.

I think ORD-STN is really dependent on BA and AA getting ATI. There's no need for 9 daily flights to LHR between them, but AA can make a case for the frequency they offer with the lack of reciprocal benefits on TATL flights.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

aeroc

Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:37 pm

We were looking at loads before the holiday rush and they were very poor. I dont remember the exact loads, but I do remember laughing and saying thats the non-rev shuttle to the LON area. ORD might be a choice AA could think about, but I think their eyes are set on LHR at thins point in time.

trent900

Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:45 am

Quoting AEroc (Reply 3):
We were looking at loads before the holiday rush and they were very poor.

I wouldn't say 'very poor'. All flights are averaging 75% at the moment so its not too bad.

Quoting Barnesy2006 (Thread starter):
will there be any more routes launched except the obvious twice daily to JFK?

ORD and Washington (?) are rumoured from the secong half of next year once services are moved from LGW.

Will try and find out more info at work today.

D.

Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:15 am

Quoting AEroc (Reply 3):
do remember laughing and saying thats the non-rev shuttle to the LON area

Not really, since you can't be in J for the first 3 months of the STN service. The loads to LHR/LGW have not been heavy lately, much better to nonrev to LON on those.

I remember, the first couple of JFK-STN flights left with ~Y20 pax. Now, the loads are much better.

MAH4546

Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:24 am

Quoting Trent900 (Reply 4):

ORD and Washington (?) are rumoured from the secong half of next year once services are moved from LGW.

IAD-STN on AA? Not happening. Also, the only services moving from LGW are one DFW-LGW flight and the RDU-LGW flight. AA will continue to fly to Gatwick from Dallas, daily.

I doubt AA will launch more STN-USA routes unless, for example, Maxjet goes into MIA or ORD.
a.

trent900

Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:47 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 6):
IAD-STN on AA? Not happening. Also, the only services moving from LGW are one DFW-LGW flight and the RDU-LGW flight. AA will continue to fly to Gatwick from Dallas, daily.

Thanks for the info. Will find out more today.

D.

Barnesy2006
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:27 pm

Thanks for the replies, keep me updated with anymore news on STN as i really would like to see it succeed as a full fares airport aswell as the usual low cost.

mjlhou

Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:34 pm

I've also checked the loads into STN for the holiday season closer to X-Mas, and while the flight appears to be pretty full, the reason they were embargoed non-rev travel in J class was in order to try to better compete with MY and the J-class cabin are the ONLY seats that are NOT selling off. The day I checked, I believe was Friday the 21st, Y class was just about full with NO J-class seats booked at the time I checked.

MJL
Don't worry about things you can't change or control

8herveg

Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:58 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 2):
I think ORD-STN is really dependent on BA and AA getting ATI.

Sorry, could you explain what ATI is please? Excuse my ignorance...

aeroc

Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:03 pm

Quoting 44k (Reply 5):
I remember, the first couple of JFK-STN flights left with ~Y20 pax. Now, the loads are much better.

I didnt mean to step on any toes and say that STN service is a wash, but that was about the time we were looking at the loads....about a week into the service.

AlexPorter

Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:46 pm

I know this will be hard to find in the records (due to no interlining) but are these flights mostly O&D London or making connections (onto different tickets, obviously) onto low-fare airlines like Ryanair? Or is it a good mix?
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

Barnesy2006
Topic Author

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:53 pm

Had a look this morning and the pax load was 223, i guess near capacity but i don't know what there 763's hold?

[Edited 2007-11-27 14:54:46]

FURUREFA

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:56 pm

Quoting 44k (Reply 5):
LHR/LGW have not been heavy lately, much better to nonrev to LON on those.

We've been full on 155/156 and 108/109 (BOS-LHR-BOS) the last few weeks, in fact full in the J cabins most days.

Matt

STNDEICER

Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:43 am

Quoting Barnesy2006 (Reply 13):
i guess near capacity but i don't know what there 763's hold?

I believe they hold 255 pax in the Y and J class config

Joost

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:03 pm

Quoting 8herveg (Reply 10):
Sorry, could you explain what ATI is please? Excuse my ignorance...

Anti Trust Immunity.

Currently, BA and AA cannot officially cooperate across the Atlantic. That means: they cannot code share, they cannot align schedules, and they cannot make pricing or revenue sharing agreements. When currently AA and BA would make pricing and schedule agreements, they would be charged for forbidden price fixing by the Anti Trust regulators.

Governments can decide to allow two (or more) companies to cooperate and make pricing agreements, and make a combination immune for the Anti Trust regulators: Anti Trust Immunity.

Currently, several airlines have ATI across the Atlantic: KL & NW, AF & DL, UA & LH, AA & AY, to name a few.

AA and BA have not been granted ATI yet, because of Bermuda II: together, they would be too strong @LHR, and they would limit consumer choice. Now Bermuda II will be finished in March, and other airlines can fly from LHR to the USA as well (CO, NW, US and DL have all announced flights), BA and have re-issued a request for ATI.

Regulators can attach preconditions to an ATI, for example, to give up slots at an airport. LH and LX, for example, were allowed to cooperate (and merge), but they needed to give some slots on the FRA-ZRH route to AB.

Personally, I expect BA and AA to get anti trust immunity, but I wouldn't be surprised if they will need to give up a couple of slots at LHR. Mind you that both the American regulators and the European Commission will need to agree.

Another pending application is to merge the AF-DL and KL-NW ATI into one big ATI for AF-KL-DL-NW, possibly even including OK and AZ.

Hope this helps!

Joost

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:07 pm

Quoting Barnesy2006 (Reply 8):
Thanks for the replies, keep me updated with anymore news on STN as i really would like to see it succeed as a full fares airport aswell as the usual low cost.

It will definitely will. Not because everybody loves STN, but simply because it is the only airport in the London area that has a good growth perspective. LHR and LGW have hardly any opportunities to grow, while STN is on track to get a second runway in the next decade. I don't expect it to be ready in 2012 (as planned), but it will probably be there before 2020.

albird87

Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:36 pm

Where did AA pull this aircraft from for this route?? If they are expecting to add an additional flight from JFK-STN and maybe a flight from ORD.... Where will AA get these aircraft from?? Who will lose out on these aircraft?

I do think though that AA have actually done something right here by flying into STN as for the biz man, its soo much easier to get to the City from STN than LHR or LGW

elmothehobo

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:00 pm

Quoting Barnesy2006 (Reply 13):
Had a look this morning and the pax load was 223, i guess near capacity but i don't know what there 763's hold?

That's at capacity.

Quoting STNDEICER (Reply 15):
I believe they hold 255 pax in the Y and J class config

30J 195Y, 225 total, though that is in the new configuration, old configuration is 30J 183Y, 213 total.

Quoting Albird87 (Reply 18):
Where did AA pull this aircraft from for this route?? If they are expecting to add an additional flight from JFK-STN and maybe a flight from ORD.... Where will AA get these aircraft from?? Who will lose out on these aircraft?

Shifting aircraft around. Fewer 767s to Hawaii, more daylight flights to deep South America (Sao Paulo), mixing 767s at Heathrow, dropping DFW-ZRH, MIA-MAN to name a few.

Barnesy2006
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:34 pm

Another good load this morning of 191, seems AA have made a good decision in chosing STN at the moment long hope it continues.

skyhigh

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:00 pm

I do think though that AA have actually done something right here by flying into STN as for the biz man, its so much easier to get to the City from STN than LHR or LGW

I totally agree. I don't understand why other airlines haven't seized on this opportunity, especially BA. The Stansted Express (or whatever it's called these days) is a direct train service that regularly leaves from the airport terminal and arrives at Liverpool St. Station in the heart of the business district, in approximately 30-40 minutes. This should be a huge selling point for business passengers.

For those of you unfamiliar with London, LHR is on completely the other side of London and takes no less than one hour, up to two + during peak hours to travel to. Furthermore, there is no dedicated transport service linking the East of London to Heathrow other than the tube or a combination of the tube/Heathrow Express, both of which involve a change of lines and are extremely time consuming.

Stansted is much smaller than LHR and certainly more attractive from a passenger point of view. It doesn't have the connection possibilities, unless transferring to a low cost airline such as Ryan Air but there is certainly enough O+D traffic between JFK and London to sustain such a service.

The only thing that I can think of is that passengers are travelling to LHR to fly BA, as they are unable to access frequent flier points when using AA. A possibility perhaps??

Eurohub

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:56 pm

I was going to post a new thread on this subject - or at least something similar, so I'm glad I did a search!

My wife flew into STN this morning (29th Nov) on American 124 from JFK and commented that the flight had a total of 82 pax on board and so plenty of room on board to spread out.

Having noted that AA are heavily promoting the STN route with extra miles and low J fares and that a second daily is to be added from April 2008; I had wondered if 82 was an anomaly or part of a worrying trend.

I did wonder if AA were enjoying good cargo yields on the route, STN's proximity to the M11 giving good access to East London, the South-East, East Anglia and the Midlands makes it an ideal port for handling cargo - is AA taking advantage of this? Perhaps using cargo to its advantage when pax yields are low?

Regards,
Eurohub
Forget A vs B - Give me E or BAe any day of the week!

EXAAUADL

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:41 pm

Quoting Trent900 (Reply 4):
I wouldn't say 'very poor'. All flights are averaging 75% at the moment so its not too bad.

75% of Transatlantic is pretty bad, unless C is 100% full

jimbo27L

Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:47 pm

its soo much easier to get to the City from STN than LHR or LGW

Quoting Skyhigh (Reply 21):
I totally agree. I don't understand why other airlines haven't seized on this opportunity, especially BA. The Stansted Express (or whatever it's called these days) is a direct train service that regularly leaves from the airport terminal and arrives at Liverpool St. Station in the heart of the business district, in approximately 30-40 minutes. This should be a huge selling point for business passengers.

No.

Using public transport from STN and LGW to The City and Canary Wharf.....(from TFL and National Rail Enquiries)

Gatwick to London Blackfriars (The City)
Journey time: 36-39mins
Frequency: Every 15mins

Blackfriars to Canary Wharf
Journey time: 22-24mins

Gatwick to Canary Wharf
Journey time: 58-63mins (faster if you can get a train from LGW to London Bridge and change to the Jubilee Line for Canary Wharf)

Stansted to London Liverpool Street (The City)
Journey time: 52-58mins
Frequency: Every 15mins

Liverpool Street to Canary Wharf
Journey time: 18-19mins

Stansted to Canary Wharf
Journey time: 70-77mins

Agreed LHR to the CBD's is a nightmare, but I dont understand why people automatically assume LGW is in the middle of nowhere! Also, I suggest people do their homework before championing STN's 'express' rail link.

LGW has more accessible and faster routes from Central London (London Bridge, Blackfriars, St Pancras, City Thameslink, Victoria) than STN (Liverpool St) - FACT.

travatl

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:07 pm

I'll champion STN's express rail link. I loved it - and the best part was I went from airplane seat to train seat in about 15 minutes. And the travel time to Liverpool St Station was far less than 52-58 min. The train wasn't crowded, the airport wasn't crowded.... LOVE IT. STN is my new favorite London airport.....

Barnesy2006
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:15 pm

Quoting Travatl (Reply 25):
I'll champion STN's express rail link. I loved it - and the best part was I went from airplane seat to train seat in about 15 minutes. And the travel time to Liverpool St Station was far less than 52-58 min. The train wasn't crowded, the airport wasn't crowded.... LOVE IT. STN is my new favorite London airport.....

Very pleased to hear you enjoyed your experience through Stansted. Stansted Express is advertised as 45 to London which isn't far out.

eghansen

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:30 pm

Quoting Barnesy2006 (Reply 26):
Very pleased to hear you enjoyed your experience through Stansted. Stansted Express is advertised as 45 to London which isn't far out.

Quoting Travatl (Reply 25):

Since this thread concerns flights between the US and Britain, I will put in my two-cents worth.

Americans do not take trains or buses at the airport because we might be forced to sit next to a person we do not know who will attempt to speak to us, or smells, or has bad personal habits, or is different and would make us feel uncomfortable. To us the only people who use trains or mass transit are the poor who can't afford to rent a car or take a taxi.

When I traveled on business I always took a taxi or limo from the airport because the company paid the expense.

We Americans would rather die than spend time in a train with strangers. To have to do on an airplane is already bad enough.

Consequently, we all want to fly to Heathrow which is closest to London. This is why all the American carriers are paying big money to buy, beg, borrow or steal slots at Heathrow.

My two-cents worth.
Nowadays, it is hard to tell when the commercials end and real life begins

AF022

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:09 pm

I see that LY and TK have started some flights to STN. Is this the way airlines are expanding since LHR is impossible to increase frequencies? Are other international airlines starting to move there?

And other than the passion of A.netters, what is the traveling public's perspective of STN?

davehammer

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:14 pm

Out of all of the London Airports I've always found travelling out of STN the most hassle free. In terms of Taxi time its definitely the shortest journey to the Canary Wharf and area and more than likely as quick or quicker to the city than Heathrow. M11/A12/A11 plus the Stanstead Express is generally a pleasant experience straight into the city. I'm not abreast with the goings on at STN as far as expansion goes, but that would be my personal choice. I hope AA are successful on this route. I would have booked a J ticket to go in February but at the time they were far more expensive than Silverjet so they got my business.

Barnesy2006
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:19 pm

Quoting Eghansen (Reply 27):
Since this thread concerns flights between the US and Britain, I will put in my two-cents worth.

Americans do not take trains or buses at the airport because we might be forced to sit next to a person we do not know who will attempt to speak to us, or smells, or has bad personal habits, or is different and would make us feel uncomfortable. To us the only people who use trains or mass transit are the poor who can't afford to rent a car or take a taxi.

When I traveled on business I always took a taxi or limo from the airport because the company paid the expense.

We Americans would rather die than spend time in a train with strangers. To have to do on an airplane is already bad enough.

Consequently, we all want to fly to Heathrow which is closest to London. This is why all the American carriers are paying big money to buy, beg, borrow or steal slots at Heathrow.

My two-cents worth.

I think thats whats known in Britain and probably around the world as a SNOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aajfksjubklyn

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:23 pm

btw-the service was actually great, its the same service you get to ZRH, BRU or CDG (all on 763's). I enjoyed it tremendously, and the fact that I didn't have to go through that mess call LHR, and I left from a brand new terminal in JFK, it was one hell of a pleasant experience. In fact I fell asleep, rather then thinking of the nightmare of LHR. I serioulsy hate LHR. The trip to STN reminded me of BRU (Less that LOOOOONG walk in BRU to the arrival area). Relaxed, calm, peaceful...great experience on both ends and on the service in the middle also! AA you made a great move!

ORDagent

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:32 pm

Americans do not take trains or buses at the airport because we might be forced to sit next to a person we do not know who will attempt to speak to us, or smells, or has bad personal habits, or is different and would make us feel uncomfortable. To us the only people who use trains or mass transit are the poor who can't afford to rent a car or take a taxi

You obviously don't live in a major metro area. Here in Chicago I'm on the subway for 40 minutes in each direction to and from my office. we also have rail links to BOTH airports which are always with pretty full trains. It's the fastest and cheapest way to ORD and MDW. I always sit next to strangers and getting a nasty seat mate is rare and if so you get up and move. My clients once they have started taking the train rarely go back to limo or cab as it is faster and more reliable not to mention 2 bucks for a cash fare and lower if you get a transit card.

I've also taken the train from AMS to downtown, FRA to downtown and ZRH to downtown, and DCA downtown. The trains in these cities are more luxe than here in Chicago as, with the exception of DCA they are inter city trains.

AEROFAN

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:33 pm

why do everyone bitch about LHR. It takes 15 mins from LHR to Paddington on Heathrow Express. I just did a business trip there week before Thanksgiving. From getting in on the Heathrow Express to my hotel in South Kensington took me 35mins

N1120A

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:36 pm

What in the world? Nothing could be farther from the truth. In places where there is good public transport, it is used very heavily. Ever done rush hour in places like New York, Boston, Portland, Chicago or D.C.? Further, have you been to London? If you have, you would see countless Americans riding the Tube.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

AEROFAN

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:44 pm

I think Eghasen was saying this with tongue firmly in cheek

8herveg

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:08 pm

Quoting ElmoTheHobo (Reply 19):
30J 195Y, 225 total, though that is in the new configuration, old configuration is 30J 183Y, 213 total.

Where did they suddenly find the space to fit an extra 12 economy seats?

Quoting Aerofan (Reply 33):
why do everyone bitch about LHR. It takes 15 mins from LHR to Paddington on Heathrow Express. I just did a business trip there week before Thanksgiving. From getting in on the Heathrow Express to my hotel in South Kensington took me 35mins

Yes, but South Kensington isnt in Londons CBD. LHR is fine for getting to most places in West London, but crap for getting to the City, which is in East London, which is why people on here are saying that STN is better.

[Edited 2007-11-29 12:10:30]

N1120A

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:28 pm

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 23):

75% of Transatlantic is pretty bad, unless C is 100% full

Or unless the Y class seats are being sold for higher prices.

eghansen

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:39 pm

Quoting ORDagent (Reply 32):
You obviously don't live in a major metro area. Here in Chicago I'm on the subway for 40 minutes in each direction to and from my office. we also have rail links to BOTH airports which are always with pretty full trains. It's the fastest and cheapest way to ORD and MDW. I always sit next to strangers and getting a nasty seat mate is rare and if so you get up and move. My clients once they have started taking the train rarely go back to limo or cab as it is faster and more reliable not to mention 2 bucks for a cash fare and lower if you get a transit card.

I used to work for a company with headquarters inside the loop in Chicago (Landrum & Brown - aviation consultant to the City of Chicago). At one point, the company started requiring us all take the train from O'Hare to the loop to save money. No more taxi cab fare. After a couple of weeks, a vice-president was traveling on the train and somebody pickpocketed him. Soon after, the requirement to take the train was rescinded and we went back to cabs.

After all, if we started to take the train everywhere, where would the Ethiopian, Somali and Afghani immigrants to the US find employment? And what would the police departments do with all their worn-out Ford Crown Victoria Plazas and Mercury Marquis-de-Sade automobiles if they couldn't sell them to the taxi cab companies?

Billions of dollars and thousands of jobs rest on our abject refusal to ever patronize mass transit. Think of it! Helicopter pilots would unemployed as they would no longer need to do TrafficWatch for the local news station. Cell phone companies would lose revenue from all the phone calls made by people sitting in gridlock. Highway department inspectors would be unemployed if they were not needed to close the freeway for two hours so they could figure out that the white powder on the roadway was nothing but spilled wheat flour, and not anthrax.

I commend the rest of the world for flying into Stansted and taking the train, but for Americans, we will always prefer to fly into Heathrow and take a taxi.

N1120A

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:42 pm

Quoting Eghansen (Reply 38):
but for Americans, we will always prefer to fly into Heathrow and take a taxi.

Speak for yourself, not all Americans

WJ

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:15 pm

I commend the rest of the world for flying into Stansted and taking the train, but for Americans, we will always prefer to fly into Heathrow and take a taxi.

That is a pretty dumb statement... In fact most passengers use the tube to get to and from the city into LHR. And yes, speak for yourself.

After all, if we started to take the train everywhere, where would the Ethiopian, Somali and Afghani immigrants to the US find employment? And what would the police departments do with all their worn-out Ford Crown Victoria Plazas and Mercury Marquis-de-Sade automobiles if they couldn't sell them to the taxi cab companies?

And that is just plain ignorent and if you are trying to be funny, your'e not...

Quoting AF022 (Reply 28):
I see that LY and TK have started some flights to STN. Is this the way airlines are expanding since LHR is impossible to increase frequencies? Are other international airlines starting to move there?

Both have been flying into STN for years. LY used to do transatlantic stopovers at STN back in the day. CSA also flys into STN and even though its not passenger, both Fedex and UPS have a pretty good presence there.
146,727,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739,742,743,744,752,753,762,763,764,772,300,310,319,320,321,330,343,DC9,D10,MD11,M80,E17

eghansen

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:16 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 39):
Speak for yourself, not all Americans

Quand je vais a Paris, je prend le train tous le jours. J'aime le train. Je n'est pas un americaine typique.

But I know my own countrymen.

aajfksjubklyn

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:17 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 34):

THIS IS HYSTERICAL...Good night ladies and gentlemen, I have to get on the Subway to go home...LMAO....

N1120A

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:18 pm

Quoting Eghansen (Reply 41):

But I know my own countrymen.

I know my own countrymen as well, and when we have the option, Americans use public transport at least as intensively as do people in Europe

Quoting Eghansen (Reply 41):
Je n'est pas un americaine typique.

No, because you actually made an attempt at French. Bravo

CRJ900

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:28 pm

Can AA and other international carriers pick their favourite slot times or do they have to get in line behind Ryanair and take what is available? I have read in earlier threads that STN is pretty packed these days, with few slots left...?
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

avek00

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:29 pm

IAD-STN on AA? Not happening.

Actually, don't rule out such a route if and when AA/BA get serious on transatlantic cooperation. A joint venture could well see AA opening routes to STN and other UK cities from major airports like IAD.
Live life to the fullest.

elmothehobo

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:34 pm

Quoting 8herveg (Reply 36):
Where did they suddenly find the space to fit an extra 12 economy seats?

I got my numbers wrong. The aircraft went from 182Y to 195Y. 7 seats were added when More Room Throughout Coach was dropped. Another six seats are being added as the 767-300s are being upgraded with the new lie flat seats in J. These seats are being placed at the very rear of the aircraft and the center section (two new rows of center section seats).

So a total of 13 seats added since 2005. American's international 767-300s have gone from carrying 190 passengers in three classes to 225 passengers in two classes since 2001, a 35 seat increase.

eghansen

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:46 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 43):
I know my own countrymen as well, and when we have the option, Americans use public transport at least as intensively as do people in Europe

I recently heard on the ABC News that the United States has about 200 million licensed drivers and 214 million registered vehicles. We actually have more vehicles than people to drive them. The comparable number for France is 790 registered vehicles per 1000 licensed drivers.

Your belief would be comendable if true, but I don't think it is.

LAXdude1023

Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:26 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 43):

Its a case by case situation. It really depends on the city. The people on the East Coast seem more likely to take trains than us out west. The trains in NYC, Boston, and DC (for example) are extensive and relatively safe. Most people in those cities (I would bet) would take the train as much as they can. Why wouldnt they? However out here its different. Ive spent most of my life in Los Angeles and Ive used the Metro maybe 4-6 times. Simply put, it doesnt go where I need to go. However in Europe or on the East Coast, I use public transit whenever I can. But the metro here is only good if youre going from/to the following places: (Downtown LA, Long Beach, South Central LA (Watts, Inglewood, and Compton) Chinatown, Hollywood, or the Valley). Since Ive lived in West LA and the South Bay, its useless to me. However many people use the trains here every day. The problem with the Metro is that there are no turnstiles. Most people dont even pay to ride it. Out west, we also are alot more independant with reguards to transportation than people out east.

More than anything, its not that all Americans do one thing, were all different. Here I dont use the public transit, but elsewhere (when it is good) I will.

I doubt AA will launch more STN-USA routes unless, for example, Maxjet goes into MIA or ORD.

Ive wondered something. Why doesnt AA move the LGW frequency to ORD in exchange for one of ORD's LHR slots for DFW? It seems like there would be a more of a demand from ORD to that part of London rather than DFW. Plus ORD is better located for connections. I also know that AA is looking for another DFW-LHR frequency. Dont know if thats a good idea or not, but just wondering.
It is what it is...

elmothehobo

Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:28 pm

Quoting Eghansen (Reply 47):
Your belief would be comendable if true, but I don't think it is.

Look at New York, Chicago, Washington (to some extent). The mass transit systems exist, and people definitely do use them. The issue is that the vast majority of American cities don't have fixed guideway mass transit systems. That, and European cities are far more centralized. There is no way that Los Angeles drivers could be enticed to use mass transit, it would require billions upon billions of dollars to build a system that could reach across the Los Angeles Metropolitan area.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos