sq_ek_freak

Sources On Pollution Vs. Commercial Air Travel

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:09 am

I'm doing a research paper on the effects of commercial aviation with regards to various types of pollution. I am focusing on the effects of the current generation of aircraft have towards the state of the environment (their contribution to the problem, etc) as well as the potential the future holds with the advent of the so called "green" A380 and B787, with future aircraft down the pipeline as well such as the A350 or later versions of the 787 and 747-8i. The main areas I'd be looking at are:

- greenhouse gas emissions
- effect of vapor trails on cooling by scattering solar radiation
- any other issues related to air quality and/or global warming due to air travel.

I'm not really asking for a debate here, but rather recommendations or directions to any scientific or scholarly studies regarding the matter from which I could cite information from? Going through Boeing, Airbus, IATA, Lufthansa, Singapore Airlines and other such sites seem mostly like PR machines to me. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Keep Discovering

BooDog

RE: Sources On Pollution Vs. Commercial Air Travel

Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:32 am

Contrail info: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/nonroad/aviation/contrails.pdf

Engine emissions databank: http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=702&pagetype=90 (This has hardcore NOx/SOx info)

Two good places to go online are grist.org and environmentalleader.com. Two excellent sources of environmental news here in the states. Search "aviation" on their home pages and you'll find tons of articles.

If there's more specific info that you need, just state it on here; I spend large portions of my work day researching environmental information.

Your friendly dog from Texas.
B1B - best looking aircraft ever.

sq_ek_freak

RE: Sources On Pollution Vs. Commercial Air Travel

Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:36 pm

Thanks a lot, the links you've provided are more than sufficient!
Keep Discovering