sam1987

Flybe New Routes Summer 2008

Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:21 am

Flybe (BE) have announced quite a large selection of new routes for summer 2008:

BHD-CDG
BHX-INV
BHX-NQY
EDI-CWL
EDI-RNS
EXT-ABZ
EXT-BRU
EXT-DBV
EXT-INV
GLA-CWL
GLA-LRH
GLA-NQY
GLA-CDG
IOM-LPL
IOM-NQY
JER-ABZ
JER-DSA
MAN-INV
NCL-CWL

The winners from the above seem to CWL, NQY and INV, all of which see multiple new routes. This will be particularly good news for CWL, who seem to have been struggling of late.
Next flights: LGW-LBA-LGW, LHR-SIN-SYD, SYD-BKK-LHR, LGW-GRO, GRO-CIA, CIA-MAD, MAD-LGW

LH121GLA

RE: Flybe New Routes Summer 2008

Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:42 am

Quoting Sam1987 (Thread starter):
GLA-CWL
GLA-LRH
GLA-NQY
GLA-CDG

GLACDG looks like it's a continuation of the GLACWL flight ...

Gareth757

Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:29 pm

I dont think BE could gain much out of the IOM-LPL route as 3W already operate this route i think 5 times a day !?!?!?! they should operate a route that isnt served from John Lennon Airport for example maybe a GLA or EDI, atracting more visitors and destinations to Liverpool for the capital of culture year 08 !

captainsimon

Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:37 pm

They have also increased the Southend UK to Jersey flight to twice weekly.

vfw614

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:05 pm

Quoting Gareth757 (Reply 2):
I dont think BE could gain much out of the IOM-LPL route as 3W already operate this route i think 5 times a day !?!?!?! they should operate a route that isnt served from John Lennon Airport for example maybe a GLA or EDI, atracting more visitors and destinations to Liverpool for the capital of culture year 08 !

Kill off Euromanx and Eastern with a nice little price war and have the IOM for yourself in a year or so. Flybe will clean up the fraggle rock nicely, they attack Eastern on the BHX route and are now competing on three of four of Euromanx's markets. Wait for another year and they will go after Loganair and its GLAand EDI routes from IOM once their BA franchise has expired.

extspotter

Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:50 pm

The long-term plan is obvious. Destroy anyone at any cost. I would think again for Plymouth's runway extension as if it was extended so that BE could get the Q400s in there, it would be the end of WOW and commercial service to the city. NQY will gain though from a WOW - BE price war.
AF BE BY FR MV PD SZ U2 VZ DHC6, 8-3/4Q, 732/8, 763ER, A319, A380

EGTESkyGod

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:13 pm

Quoting EXTspotter (Reply 5):
would think again for Plymouth's runway extension as if it was extended so that BE could get the Q400s in there, it would be the end of WOW and commercial service to the city. NQY will gain though from a WOW - BE price war.

Plymouth has no danger of having flybe operate out of there, unless they get Dash 8 300s again... and even then they probably wouldn't use Plymouth. When we operated the flying school there, Air South West and Air Wales flew from Plymouth. Air Wales went bust, the Navy Grob tutors moved their operation to Yeovilton, and we reduced our operation to a small corner of the old Gama Hangar. This affected the airfield movement numbers dramatically, and we eventually sold on the school to a former student, who has put in place his own portakabins, uses our old aircraft, and renamed the flying school. We still have links with them, and I honestly hope that future problems at Plymouth don't hinder them, as they are still friends.

Sutton Harbour, who own Plymouth, had the option years ago to extend the runway, at a cost not too far from just £1million, as they owned the buildings and land at the threshold of Rwy 31. However, they sold on the land and no longer have the option of extension at either end, as they have just moved the road at the 13 end to accommodate the safety requirements. Rwy 06/24 is being closed and houses being built across it. The future for Plymouth, I am afraid, doesn't look good. However, while the flying school and Air South West are still there and running, Plymouth should, in the short term at least, be safe.

As for Flybe's new routes, being Exeter based, I would personally like to see them fly EXT to Germany. I'm surprised they haven't flown out of Cardiff before now, but having the E195s will help them compete with the likes of Easyjet, Ryanair and bmi Baby.

Also, watch out for an announcement from First Choice, who are now basing an A320 at Exeter. They are (according to a source within First Choice) looking at basing a 757 at Exeter with a view to a transatlantic run to JFK... At 6834ft, is Exeter's runway long enough for such operations? This may well be the first ever flight from Exeter to JFK, but JFK to Exeter has been done before, Concorde G-BOAC did it on 12th August 1999, funnily enough, the day after the total solar eclipse here in the Westcountry.
I came, I saw, I Concorde! RIP Michael Jackson

extspotter

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:25 pm

The runway at EXT is by far long enough. CO flys from BRS and BRS's runway is shorter than EXT, plus BRS is 700ft elevation where EXT is only like 150ft. We have had a 747 before, BRS hasn't!
AF BE BY FR MV PD SZ U2 VZ DHC6, 8-3/4Q, 732/8, 763ER, A319, A380

PlymSpotter

Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:01 pm

BHX-NQY

Excellent news! Shame it will be too late for me to make any use of it, but visiting family will now have an option aside of the train or driving.

GLA-NQY

Ouch - that will hurt WOW, this is one of the new routes they have launched

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 6):
Sutton Harbour, who own Plymouth, had the option years ago to extend the runway, at a cost not too far from just £1million, as they owned the buildings and land at the threshold of Rwy 31. However, they sold on the land and no longer have the option of extension at either end,

Despite this, the latest redevelopment on that site has been conditioned so that an imminent extension can go ahead. Getting FlyBe in might kill WOW, but it would be much better for the city - especially as carriers from farther afield in Europe may then make inroads.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

by738

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:07 am

Cant see WOW sticking on the GLA-Newquay/Plymouth run. Expect it to be dropped before it starts.

YVRLTN

Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:25 am

Quoting EXTspotter (Reply 7):
The runway at EXT is by far long enough

TS use an A310 into EXT.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

EGTESkyGod

Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:01 am

Quoting EXTspotter (Reply 7):
The runway at EXT is by far long enough. CO flys from BRS and BRS's runway is shorter than EXT, plus BRS is 700ft elevation where EXT is only like 150ft. We have had a 747 before, BRS hasn't!

BRS runway is only 300ft shorter, so not much in it. Agree with you about the elevation, and the 747's we had in were all for storage, were all empty and ripped up the tarmac and caused so many problems that we aren't having any in again for the forseeable.

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 10):
TS use an A310 into EXT.

Correct, but on departure, they land at Birmingham before continuing on to Canada.
I came, I saw, I Concorde! RIP Michael Jackson

Damian

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:13 pm

Quoting BY738 (Reply 9):
Cant see WOW sticking on the GLA-Newquay/Plymouth run. Expect it to be dropped before it starts.

Not necessarily. They could always revise it slightly to operate Plymouth-Glasgow direct (cutting out Newquay) and also chuck in Plymouth-Edinburgh direct.

PlymSpotter

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:53 pm

Quoting Damian (Reply 12):
Not necessarily. They could always revise it slightly to operate Plymouth-Glasgow direct (cutting out Newquay) and also chuck in Plymouth-Edinburgh direct.

If so they would have to do the same with the NCL service as well then and it would mean basing the aircraft at NQY. Also, I'd have my doubts about even the Dash 8-300 being able to fly such 'long' sectors from Plymouth without being very weight restricted - which is probably one of the reason for the NQY stop anyway.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...