57AZ
Topic Author

Steve Fossett News...

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:13 am

Just heard over NPR that the wife of missing aviator Steve Fossett has filed a petition with the probate court to declare him legally dead. As he has not been found and been missing for an extended period of time, evidently the family has lost any hope for a positive outcome and decided that it is time to address the matters concerning his estate.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

alberchico

RE: Steve Fossett News...

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:18 am

sad ending.

Incredible how in the most advanced nation in the world an airplane can take off for a sightseeing flight and dissapear off the face of the Earth......
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

57AZ
Topic Author

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:27 am

For what it's worth, there is plenty of airspace in the US that has less than stellar radar or radio coverage at lower altitudes. Most of these gaps can be attributed to terrain blocking the radio signals. Where he was flying, it's probable that the radar coverage is lacking at lower altitudes.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

PlymSpotter

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:33 am

I think this will always be one of the great unknowns. There will be the theories of course; did he really just want to disappear with a 'bang' - or did something go wrong? Obviously unless the aircraft is found then we will never know - which is certainly sad for the family - but at least being 'legally/officially dead' will bring some form of closure to them.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

NeilYYZ

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:54 am

It's sad, and I'm sure not an easy decision for the family. But I would agree with their decision, it's time to start moving forward for them. I hope it all goes smoothly for them and they find some degree of closure in their decision.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

LAXspotter

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:39 am

WOW  Wow!

It is shocking to see how a man can simply vanish with an Aircraft, one would think there would be a way to track him thru ATC or speed and direction findings. I really hope Fossett is still alive, he is a great aviator and his "likely" departure would be a sad day, sadly the Media seems to focused on celebrities now. I've been in the Sierra Nevada's didnt think they were so inaccessible or remote.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

NeilYYZ

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:45 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 5):
he is a great aviator and his "likely" departure would be a sad day

Unfortunately, I would bet that his departure occured the same day he didn't return. Hopefully his family can get some form of closure.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

57AZ
Topic Author

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:56 am

Well, once the court has done it's business we'll be discussing him as the late Steve Fossett. With the weather now being encountered in the Sierras, it is unimaginable that he could still be alive this long after the disappearance. Western mountains have ripped large transport category aircraft into unrecognizable shards of metal-it's possible that the destruction of the wreckage was so complete that virtually no recognizable trace of an aircraft remains. .

Nuori5084

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:25 am

I am still waiting to hear about his new identity.  duck 
Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

viaggiare

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:31 am

I really hope Fossett is still alive

It's Steve Fossett, not Bear Grylls.
Entre el fuerte y el débil, la libertad oprime. Sólo la ley libera.

LAXspotter

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:36 am

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 9):

yeah, but I'm convinced he had some sort of survival skills.

ACDC8

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:24 am

Guess we'll put this in the same filing cabinet as Amelia Earhart. Tragic yet somewhat amazing.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

LAXspotter

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:25 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 11):
filing cabinet as Amelia Earhart. Tragic yet somewhat amazing

although there are some differences, such as being in 2007 and the fact that he was lost over ground instead of at sea.

ACDC8

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:28 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 12):
although there are some differences, such as being in 2007 and the fact that he was lost over ground instead of at sea.

Two legends in aviation go missing is amazing and interesting enough. Time lines and locations are irrelevant IMO.

LAXspotter

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:30 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 13):
Two legends in aviation go missing is amazing and interesting enough.

agreed, but it's still a mystery how a man can simply go missing in a rather publicized flight?

ACDC8

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:47 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 14):
agreed, but it's still a mystery how a man can simply go missing in a rather publicized flight?

Which makes it even more intriguing.

EA CO AS

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:50 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 10):

He was missing the obligatory camera crew though....  duck 
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Kay

Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:01 am

This proves one thing: flying has dangerous sides even for the seasoned hero.
Sad!

Kay

airfoilsguy

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:29 am

Quoting Nuori5084 (Reply 8):
I am still waiting to hear about his new identity.

Fossett and Cooper are probably having a scotch somewhere.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

airlinelover

Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:53 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 3):
I think this will always be one of the great unknowns

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 11):
Guess we'll put this in the same filing cabinet as Amelia Earhart.

I think we have a helluva lot better chance of finding Fossett's plane's wreckage and figuring out what happened then we do for Earhart.. unless the trekkies among us believe Earhart was whisked away to the delta quadrant..  Wink

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

CaptOveur

Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:08 pm

He is probably out partying with D.B. Cooper.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

katwspotter

Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:08 pm

Common now, we all know he is off secretly breaking some new world record...lol
A/C I have worked in ATW - SF340 E145 CRJ2/7/9 DC93/4/5 A319/20 MD83 B738 B752/3 B763/4 A333

avek00

Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:38 pm

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 1):
Incredible how in the most advanced nation in the world an airplane can take off for a sightseeing flight and dissapear off the face of the Earth......

It is shocking to see how a man can simply vanish with an Aircraft, one would think there would be a way to track him thru ATC or speed and direction findings

There was a way to "track" him -- he could have filed a flight plan for his travels in one of the most desolate regions in North America, and he voluntarily elected not to do so.
Live life to the fullest.

ogre727

Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:46 pm

Quoting Avek00 (Reply 22):
There was a way to "track" him -- he could have filed a flight plan for his travels in one of the most desolate regions in North America, and he voluntarily elected not to do so.

I think this has been discussed TO DEATH already.
I am between the devil and the deep blue sea

ltbewr

Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:52 pm

For all practical reasons and after an exhaustive search, we can assume Steve Fossett is dead. His family needs to have some closure, although without a body, and continue with their lives. Let us hope his important work and influence on modern aircraft engineering will be carried on by others.

57AZ
Topic Author

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:07 pm

Quoting Airlinelover (Reply 19):
I think we have a helluva lot better chance of finding Fossett's plane's wreckage and figuring out what happened then we do for Earhart

Maybe, maybe not. That's a very sparse area and a small airplane's wreckage could be easily covered, especially if it was a catastrophic crash with small pieces of fragmented debris.

BlueSkys

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:44 pm

I agree with some of the people that posted above, he is probably having scotch somewhere.

I know the area is VERY sparse, but I find it difficult to comprehend that they did not find him. The search party was HUGE!

hangarrat

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:46 pm

It's Steve Fossett, not Bear Grylls

Bear Grylls is a wuss. Survivorman Les Stroud does the same thing without a camera crew.

/off topic

The difference between Fossett and Earhart is that Fossett's plane will one day be found. It may trigger a long boring story that my grandkids have to listen to when it happens, but there is wreckage out there that can be identified as Fossett's plane.
Spell check is a false dog

N231YE

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:37 pm

Here's a bit of reading, if you're interested: http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/27/fossett/index.html

threepoint

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:50 pm

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 25):
especially if it was a catastrophic crash with small pieces of fragmented debris.

In a Super Decathlon? Not much chance it had the momentum to be catastrophic to the degree you suggest. It's more likely that it's just obscured by vegetation somewhere.

Or in a hangar in Tonopah, sitting intact (ahem).
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

pmk

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:50 pm

It is truly sad that such a man is lost to the ages...but I have two things which should be kept in mind.

1. Remember thou art mortal.

2. There are old pilots, there are bold pilots, but there are no (or very few) old, bold pilots.

PMK

MQTmxguy

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:54 pm

Quoting BlueSkys (Reply 26):
I know the area is VERY sparse, but I find it difficult to comprehend that they did not find him. The search party was HUGE!

I'm a 1stLt in the Civil Air Patrol (the U.S. Air Force Auxiliary). I've been on missions very similar to the Fossett search, small plane, no ELT signal, no flight plan, no mayday or other radio comms, no xponder, spotty radar log data, little to no human intel, and rugged remote terrain. Lemme tell ya, needle in a haystack doesn't begin to compare. You basically have a start point, maybe an end point and a prayer. So many things can happen that make it difficult to locate or see the aircraft or wreckage from the air, and no matter how many assets you throw at it, sometimes it just doesn't help.

I've never been on a confirmed missing aircraft mission that ended well, but what's even worse is when you can't even bring a body back for the family.

Afterthought:

Imagine you lose a small button somewhere in a 10 acre grassy field. You have no adea where it is, maybe you stepped on it, maybe it's broke, maybe it rolled away, and all you can search for it with is a microscope, that's what a mission like this is like.

edited for afterthought

[Edited 2007-11-27 12:15:58]
Well at least we can all take comfort in the fact that NW will never retire their DC-9s

PC12Fan

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:02 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 10):

Except how to handle that 100+ G impact.
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

MBR1

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:03 pm

I guess like any famous people, he put some mystery at the end.. Sad that all money and technology couldn't help on find him... cloudnine 
M.

AEROFAN

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:15 pm

He probably wanted to get away from the wifey  Smile

Don't understand how he could have just disappeared into thin air as it were. Last time I checked the Bermuda Triangle was still, well.... over by Bermuda

vald

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:31 pm

Quoting 57AZ (Thread starter):
sad ending.

You know when i was reading this, i was thinking the same thing.

The plane he was flying can only fly a certain distance

val.

787EWR

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm

Quoting Vald (Reply 35):
The plane he was flying can only fly a certain distance

Unfortunately, he could have had a mechanical failure 10 miles from the airport and as someone mentioned above, if it broke up or crashed and desintegrated, it would be unrecognizable.

What is amazing is this man beat so many aeronautical challenges and may have been defeated by a simple discovery flight.

Hope he's up in heaven sitting with Lindbergh and Amelia telling stories.

SCUMBAG

Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:42 pm

I heard Steve-A-Reno just appeared in a puff of smoke on the stage of Lance Burtons Vegas act ! Congradulations Steve ! well done and welcome to vegas !

Seafleet

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:30 am

Life sometimes is understandable and sometimes it isnt.
I think it totally unreasonable on this forum to express an opinion other than regret at the apparent loss of Steve Fossett
I liken it to the loss of John Denver for as far as I undertsand nobody has ever found the wreckage of his plane which is after all according to all reports many fathoms under water.
I have to say I find it a little worrying that nobody knew where he was flying even if in a general view given that rumours have it he was looking for a specific target.
Either way it is a sad story.
Roger

pmk

Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:10 am

Quoting Seafleet (Reply 38):
I liken it to the loss of John Denver for as far as I undertsand nobody has ever found the wreckage of his plane which is after all according to all reports many fathoms under water.

Actually the wreckage was found as was his body; please see the NTSB report at the link below.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=LAX98FA008&rpt=fa

PMK

tonystan

Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:59 pm

I hope this does not seem like an inappropriate suggestion however does anyone else think that his disappearance under the conditions are a tad strange?

He considered himself an aviation pioneer and as history has shown, many pioneers live in infamy after disappearing. Perhaps he learnt that he was unwell and decided that he too wanted to have mysteriously disappeared in order to make his name life on!!!

Just a weird thought I had!!!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

Dalmd88

Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:48 pm

Quoting Tonystan (Reply 40):
I hope this does not seem like an inappropriate suggestion however does anyone else think that his disappearance under the conditions are a tad strange?

Not really strang at all. These types of accidents happen a lot all over the US. The world media usually doesn't cover them. Guy flys off in a light airplane to go sightseeing in a remote area. Doesn't file a flight plan because it would say leaving from point A, flying around where ever looks cool, return to point A before my fuel runs out.

It is sad for the family that the remains were not found. Someday maybe someone will stumble over the wreckage.

Arrow

Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:10 pm

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 1):
ncredible how in the most advanced nation in the world an airplane can take off for a sightseeing flight and dissapear off the face of the Earth......

in 1947, a Trans Canada Airlines Lockheed Lodestar carrying 15 people on a flight to Vancouver disappeared. Not until September, 1994, more than 47 years later, was the crash site discovered on North Vancouver's Mt. Elsay, not far from a popular hiking trail used by thousands over the years (I've hiked it myself). At the time of the accident, they thought it had gone down in the waters of Georgia Strait. It was eventually discovered by a couple of curious hikers who noticed the sun reflecting off something shiny.

I'm guessing that the crash site is less than 20 miles, in a straight line, from YVR.

[Edited 2007-11-28 14:15:27]
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

1PHXramper

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:22 am

What a shame to hear Fossett being declared legally dead. I thought that they would have found some clue as to where his final landing place was. I have a theory about his disappearance. (Remember it a theory) He didn't crash instead he landed in Reno and hopped on a flight out of the country on an assumed identity .Heck it the press was all over me 24/7 I should you skip the country

1PHXramper

Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:36 am

Quoting 1PHXramper (Reply 43):
Heck it the press was all over me 24/7 I should you skip the country

I think I should have reread before post It should say "Heck if the press were all over me 24/7 i would've skipped the country "

ferrypilot

Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:12 am

Quoting Pmk (Reply 30):

2. There are old pilots, there are bold pilots, but there are no (or very few) old, bold pilots.

Yes I think he had consistentlly been giving the impression that he was too bold to end his days in bed.

ferrypilot

Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:41 am

Anyone doubting the sentiment expressed above consider the next record Steve Fossett had in mind below.
Quote is from wikipedia ref. the car "Spirit of America" and that had already crashed in the hands of the original owner at more than 600mph. And bearing in mind that Craig Breedlove is far more experienced in that particular field than Fossett might ever have become.

...Breedlove believes the vehicle is capable of exceeding 800 mph (1,287 km/h), but has yet to demonstrate this.
In late 2006 it has been announced[1] that Breedlove has sold the car to Steve Fossett who will be making an attempt on the land speed record in 2007, marking the end of an era of land speed record breaking.

CosmicCruiser

Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:57 pm

is shocking to see how a man can simply vanish with an Aircraft, one would think there would be a way to track him thru ATC or speed and direction findings.

I'm sure they tried but having been on a couple of searches for missing planes years ago I can tell you how "un-airplane-like" a wrecked plane will look. There's a very good chance he wasn't flying the route people thought he would fly.

I've been in the Sierra Nevada's didnt think they were so inaccessible or remote.

Really? see above post. Someone mentioned lack of radar and vhf coverage and I can also say I was flying a c-172 20 dme from the ANC airport and I could hear no one and no one could hear me. Had I gone down in one of the crevasses on the glacier I was flying over no one would have found me until the end of the next ice age. You often hear of a hiker that finds a long lost plane that's twisted and broken in the hills and trees.

Quoting Ferrypilot (Reply 45):
Yes I think he had consistentlly been giving the impression that he was too bold to end his days in bed.

Lot's of experience can and often does lead to complacency especially when flying a "lesser a/c" than you're used to. Who would have thought that Frank Tallman would end his days flying vfr in an Aztec or Paul Mantz would meet a violent end in the "Phoenix" with a somewhat elevated blood alcohol level? Glen Miller's pilot made only one small mistake too and it took about 50 yrs for the answer to appear. I too was surprised one day when I ran out and hopped in a friends Comanche (I was already with a 121 carrier) and blasted off with only an out of date IFR chart though I was flying VFR. Thank goodness my flight didn't end the way these fellow's did but there was a moment that I sat up and said "OK let's pay attention now"!

ferrypilot

Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:28 am

Quoting CosmicCruiser (Reply 47):
I too was surprised one day when I ran out and hopped in a friends Comanche (I was already with a 121 carrier) and blasted off

In 1983 and before GPS I ferried a Single Comanche from Stansted in England to Long Beach, California. It was one of those 400hp limited edition models with an 8 cylinder IO720 that burned fuel like it was going out of fashion. ...Flew across the Arctic Circle in Greenland and then clean around the top of Hudson bay with it. My last stop for fuel was in Lake Tahoe not far from where Steve Fossett is missing.

chuchoteur

Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:22 pm

I recall a helicopter crash in canada, disappeared off the face of the earth while on a routine training flight in a pretty urban landscape.
Was found 10 years later, it had crashed a few yards from a road, and was discovered when the skull of one of the pilots rolled onto the road. The actual wreckage wasn't too badly damaged either, i.e. fuse in one piece (just goes to show, it had crashed into trees and brush).

If Steve Fossett crashed in a gully and the wreckage rolled underneath terrain/brush, you'd have to trip over it to find it.

On a more positive note:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/200712...uk-britain-canoeist-fa6b408_4.html
... guys do reappear after 5 years...

:o)