carmenlu15

Central American Aviation Thread -XVII

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:43 pm

Once again, the previous thread got too long (thanks to all of your informative posts), so here we go again... now for part 17 (mejor que irse de shopping a Colon )

Edit: Stupid accent marks...

[Edited 2007-11-27 14:44:12]
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

rootsair

RE: Central American Aviation Thread - Xvii

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:46 pm

Hi folks

Its so great to see Central American Aviation still has so much success. I was absent for a while because i had 6 months of final exam which went very well.... gracias a dios !!
I will be coming back to Costa Rica after 2 years on December 2nd. If any Central American a.netter wants to meet up I'd be happy to do so . I'll be there from Dec 2nd till january 1st with a little break between Dec16th and 22nd when I will be going to Panama !

Regards
BM
 airplane  wave 
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

2travel2know

RE: Central American Aviation Thread -XVII

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:48 pm

Thanks for your reference to ONX Carmenlu.

Any exotic charters to MGA or SAL for this Winter 07/08?
PTY is getting a bi-weekly HEL-PTY.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

mt99

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:50 pm

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 2):
Any exotic charters to MGA or SAL for this Winter 07/08?

SAL is getting PRG-SAL 1xweek i think..
Step into my office, baby

luisca

Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:11 am

Finally Graduating in 3 weeks! now the job hunt starts!
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

andaman

Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:50 am

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 2):

PTY is getting a bi-weekly HEL-PTY.

Just checked the HEL-PTY flights, unfortunately only expensive trip packages available  Sad ...it's a long flight on AY B752, with a tech stop in Halifax/Bermuda.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Rui Sousa - Madeira Spotters

Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

viaggiare

Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:33 am

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 1):
If any Central American a.netter wants to meet up I'd be happy to do so

Congrats on making it past your exams, Braulio. I'll be in the country between 12/23 and 12/25 (so how about the 23rd?) and then I'm off to Panama through New Year's Day.
Entre el fuerte y el débil, la libertad oprime. Sólo la ley libera.

viaggiare

Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:45 am

In today's edition of La Nacion, an F9 corporate spokesman is quoted as saying their new DEN-SJO route (which will get going this Friday) has indeed proven quite popular, and that they're seeing a "very strong demand" so far.

The story then goes on to highlight the proposed new flight offerings for 2008 out of SJO, in reference to TX, AV/MM, and... this one's news to me... P5! Well, we didn't see this one coming, did we?

TA/LR seems to have quietly given up on their plans to start a couple of routes themselves, but now the Colombia-Costa Rica market is finally getting shaken up. Hope the newcomers realize the vfr potential of, say MDE.

[Edited 2007-11-28 03:03:36]

juventus

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:48 pm

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 7):
In today's edition of La Nacion, an F9 corporate spokesman is quoted as saying their new DEN-SJO route (which will get going this Friday) has indeed proven quite popular, and that they're seeing a "very strong demand" so far.

Costa Rica has always been one of the world leaders in Eco-tourism (the leader in my opinion), and this type of tourism is about grow like crazy due to global warming guilt, political unrest, and all that type of stuff. The eco diversity of Costa Rica, plus its very good report within the United States its a good combination. I expect the US airlines to announce more and more flights in the coming years.

saludos

yellowtail

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:59 pm

Quoting Juventus (Reply 8):
I expect the US airlines to announce more and more flights in the coming years.

Expect a few European too.....most likely AF......
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

yellowtail

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:55 pm

Despite promise...it looks like DL have decided not to bring back their 1Xweekly LAX-BZE...although the way DL operates this could change at any time...they have also shelved their 1XRON ATL-BZE as well....this too was not doing too badly...just suffered from a lack of promotion (a la the LAX flight).

They're sometimes daily ATL flight though does show occasional upgrades from a CR7 to a 757..and on the days I checked it was FULL FULL FULL...

It is all strange....DL's success has been spotty and IMHO..the sole reason for the lackluster is a lack of promotion....example...lots of locals never knew the LAX existed till after it ceased.

belizexp

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:37 am

Quoting Yellowtail (Reply 10):
LAX-BZE

It would be nice if DL would try using 737-700 when 2008 come around but I know these A/C are needed in places like UIO, CCS and other Caribbean markets. I also wonder if maybe trying using a 737NG Redeye from LAX-BZE and then send it BZE-ATL (early morning) returning back to BZE in (evening hours) then back to LAX would work.
Belize my home sweet home...

yellowtail

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:29 pm

Quoting Belizexp (Reply 11):
I also wonder if maybe trying using a 737NG Redeye from LAX-BZE and then send it BZE-ATL (early morning) returning back to BZE in (evening hours) then back to LAX would work.

Absolutely would..and very well...would also allow for Euro/Asia traffic easy connections....thing is it would have to be daily (to facilitate the business traffic especially to LON) and I don't think DL has the stomach to take the losses while the route develops.

There is quite a bit of traffic to LHR/LGW ( i know someone that does it every 2 weeks) and lots of Taiwanese here that could use the nonstop to LAX to make a faster trip home.

SJOtoLIR

Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:55 am

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Thread starter):
so here we go again... now for part 17

Hello, Carmen !  spin 
Thank you for starting a new edition !
To the topic: Perhaps INTERJET is not offering paper tickets through travel agencies in Guatemala for GUA-TLC-GUA and GUA-CUN-GUA due to their own characteristics based on the low-cost model, where solely electronic tickets are available. Maybe it's the same situation with Spirit Airlines that you told us before.

Quoting Juventus (Reply 8):
I expect the US airlines to announce more and more flights in the coming years.

Here is the schedule allocation for F9 Frontier Airlines' Denver - San Jose - Denver.

F9 86.........DEN 00:10.......SJO 06:25........319.......Mo, We, Fr, Su
F9 87.........SJO 07:30........DEN 12:15.......319.......Mo, We, Fr, Su
Starts: November 30th.

F9 is following a low-cost model as well.
They are starting the untapped market SJO-DEN and probably most of the success will be sustained in connections from U.S. westbound instead the origin-destination traffic for DEN-SJO.
On the other hand, the U.S. low-cost model has not worked properly yet in some points in Central America, despite the high yields that are seemingly granted for the carriers operating Central America-South Florida. NK will downgrade GUA-FLL and GUA-LAX will be axed from their regular schedules.

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 7):
this one's news to me... P5! Well, we didn't see this one coming, did we?

I've just read some comments about the possibility for flights to both MIA and SJO on P5.

I attached two different discussions concerning to Central American aviation:
1. Is TA really studying Asuncion?: Taca To Start ASU-LIMA (by PZ Nov 21 2007 in Civil Aviation)
2. Lack of Star Alliance in PTY: Star Alliance - Not To Panama? (by ZRH Nov 29 2007 in Civil Aviation)

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 1):
i had 6 months of final exam which went very well

Quoting Luisca (Reply 4):
Finally Graduating in 3 weeks!

Congratulations !
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

aer

Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:17 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 13):
Maybe it's the same situation with Spirit Airlines that you told us before.

In a sense, but Interjet is advertising like crazy to make it work. They even placed reservation/information counters in shopping malls (Miraflores and I think Pradera Concepción). So I guess that they are learning from NK.
nice and spacious airports in need of new airlines and flights... GUA or FRS anyone?... anyone at all?

juventus

Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:37 pm

To the topic: Perhaps INTERJET is not offering paper tickets through travel agencies in Guatemala for GUA-TLC-GUA and GUA-CUN-GUA due to their own characteristics based on the low-cost model, where solely electronic tickets are available.

I knew they were launching Toluca-Guatemala City, but I wasn't aware they were also launching CUN-GUA
They're going to kill this little airline (Ka' an Beel Air) before they even start. Sad news for them
Cancun Start-up Airline To Lease 4 BAe 146-200s. (by Juventus Sep 28 2007 in Civil Aviation)

carmenlu15

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:21 pm

Thank you for starting a new edition !

And thank you people for participating! Big grin

Quoting Aer (Reply 14):
In a sense, but Interjet is advertising like crazy to make it work. They even placed reservation/information counters in shopping malls (Miraflores and I think Pradera Concepcion). So I guess that they are learning from NK.

And they are working with some tour operators as well...
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

G5ive

Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:51 pm

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 3):
SAL is getting PRG-SAL 1xweek i think..

Really??? When is that set to begin? Air Transat flies YYZ-SAL (I've always wondered why Air Canada never picked up that route) and Livingston flying MXP-SAL now PRG-SAL that's real good.

Does anyone know if more international airlines are planning to fly into SAL in the near future?
Do I sign here?

aer

Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:52 pm

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 16):
And they are working with some tour operators as well...

One very smart airline
nice and spacious airports in need of new airlines and flights... GUA or FRS anyone?... anyone at all?

rootsair

Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:53 pm

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 6):
Congrats on making it past your exams, Braulio. I'll be in the country between 12/23 and 12/25 (so how about the 23rd?) and then I'm off to Panama through New Year's Day.

that could work. Just have to make sure I don't have the big christmas family(all of my mother's side) reunion that day

Congratulations !

Gracias!!

airplane  wave 
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

rootsair

Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:44 am

Hi folkd

I am in GVA ready to fly to Costa Rics. I will be taking this route
GVA-CDG-ATL-SJO.... it will change from Iberia and will allow me to visit a new airport (ATL), fly a new aircraft(764) , take the 757 after 11 years, get PTVs (unlike IB), and get silver status for my flyin blue account. I'm all excited.
But especially the fact of seeing my country again makes me happy even though its really sad to have my girlfriend stay here

Hasta pronto

laca773

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:11 am

Quoting Belizexp (Reply 11):
would be nice if DL would try using 737-700 when 2008 come around but I know these A/C are needed in places like UIO, CCS and other Caribbean markets. I also wonder if maybe trying using a 737NG Redeye from LAX-BZE and then send it BZE-ATL (early morning) returning back to BZE in (evening hours) then back to LAX would work.

I'm sorry to hear DL is cutting LAX-BZE. I'm not surprised many people didn't know about it as I know my Central American friends here in Southern California didn't know they had started LAX-GUA. One of them booked her family on that route to see how they are service wise compared to TA...

BTW, how is DL's inflight product on their LAX-GUA service? Is catered like their other international flights with full catering or is treated like a resort flight with nothing? [ I have a feeling you guys & gals are going to say TA has a better product since they brought back full meal service] .

LACA773

aer

Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:29 pm

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 21):
BTW, how is DL's inflight product on their LAX-GUA service?

They to cater it, ifs is very good actually, specially with the PTVs.

yellowtail

Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:01 pm

Quoting MGASJO (Reply 23):
YUL - MGA starts in two weeks. 1 weekly flight on Tuesdasys. A310 the first month and then A33

Curios....what is the business/tourist/ethnic load makeup of this flight?

MGASJO

Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:43 am

Quoting Yellowtail (Reply 24):
Curios....what is the business/tourist/ethnic load makeup of this flight?

Most of the passenger -95%- pay a package that includes air fare, 6 nights at an all-inclusive hotel and day trips to local touristic places. A very few only pay airfare and adventure on their own. A much smaller market is Nicaraguan citizens residents in Montreal that come for the holidays.

There are a lot of middle-age to third age couples that come here, young couples a little bit less. You see some families of 4 - 5 mixed in as well. 99% are Canadian or Canadian residents.
C208B

SJOtoLIR

Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:18 am

Demand and offering at SJO.
Apologies, available in Spanish: http://www.nacion.com/ln_ee/2007/diciembre/01/economia1335710.html
During the last 12 months, the overall quantity of seats on planes have been increased roughly 22%, for those flights heading to the USA.
The last concerning issue is the new F9 DEN-SJO-DEN.
Detailed info and discussion: Frontier DEN-SJO Begins (by Mariner Nov 29 2007 in Civil Aviation)
Nonetheless, facilities for passengers at terminal building have not grown at the same scale...
New boarding lounges will be opened on December 7th and SJO's authorities will distribute temporarily the seats from other areas on service. The rest of such equipment is expected by the end of the year.
Once again, the press release states the application of a new airline that is willing to link Bogota - San Jose.
Regards.  santahat 

TACAA320

Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:25 pm

Copa 738 Reconfig (by LatinAviation Dec 4 2007 in Civil Aviation)
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

yellowtail

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:34 pm

with DL doing a capacity/fleet reduction..could this be the window/ save face reason that DL needs to quietly pull the plug on MGA & SAP...and maybe one or two LAX flights....

Obviously the routes will only be "suspended"  Big grin

2travel2know

Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:08 pm

Quoting Yellowtail (Reply 28):
with DL doing a capacity/fleet reduction..could this be the window/ save face reason that DL needs to quietly pull the plug on MGA & SAP.

Has DL thought of flying ATL-SAP-MGA late afternoon and back next morning? SAL desperately needs a 2nd ATL flight, maybe an ATL-SAP-SAL?
If DL was big in MSY, I would recommend them to drop ATL-SAP and try ATL-MSY-SAP.

belizexp

Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:53 pm

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 29):
ATL-MSY-SAP.

Not in a million years DL int service focus on feeding the hubs conx pax.
Belize my home sweet home...

aer

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:07 pm

Quoting Yellowtail (Reply 31):
obviously some official somewhere is looking for an "expedite paperwork" consideration

I hope so, they said that TAG would take the route, but I doubt they will, they don't seem like the next Guatemalan airline to me.

SJOtoLIR

Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:27 pm

CM had initially announced new services for PTY-POS by December 15th.
It's a given that POS Port of Spain has been already loaded on CM's website.
However, such route will start around March 2008.

Quoting Belizexp (Reply 30):
Not in a million years DL int service focus on feeding the hubs conx pax.

I second that.
Nowadays, U.S. air carriers do not tend to put tag-on schedules on their regular operations in Central America, because the product becomes unappealing compared with other nonstop services in our region.
Due to the poor loads on NK FLL-GUA, they will downgrade the service from 7x weekly to 3x weekly. They do not establish a tag-on from GUA as a solution.
I realize DL BZE-ATL is getting a special situation deploying the 70-seat airplane CRJ-700 for the named leg. It is currently operated by ASA Atlantic Southeast Airlines.

Regards.

viaggiare

Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:03 pm

On the most recent issue of Nuestro Grupo (basically a TA self-gloss internal publication) there's a piece about their recent deal with Embraer. They expect to take delivery of the first four aircraft between August and December of next year, and seem to have opted for a 96-pax (8 in F + 88 in Y) configuration.

Now for the interesting part, it goes on to say the eleven E190s "...cubriran rutas a partir del centro de conexion de San Jose de Costa Rica, hacia otros paises de Centroamerica y el Caribe." (for non-Spanish speakers: the entire E190 fleet will be based at their SJO hub to handle both the Central American and Caribbean route networks to/from Costa Rica).

Speaking of SJO, over 47,000 square feet of additional terminal space are being added this month. That's eight new boarding lounges (now seventeen total), four new jet bridges (now eight total), and six new immigration stations (now eighteen total). Welcome relief no doubt, considering this is one busy little airport. It handles an average of 8,000 pax daily (10,000 pax daily during the high season which btw kicks off next week).

juanchito

Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:03 pm

Today December 10th La Nueva Aurora GUA will be inaugurated by the Guatemalan Goverment where many airlines representatives, tour operators and many people are invited. The airport isn't 100% ready but inaugurations are like this in Guatemala  Big grin I will try to find some pictures and post them here.

Juanchito
Fotografos de Aviacion de Guatemala. Spotter.
https://www.facebook.com/Fot%C3%B3grafo ... 661476921/

mt99

Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:23 pm

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 34):
(basically a TA self-gloss internal publication)

Is there any internal publication that is not self-gloss?  Wink

the entire E190 fleet will be based at their SJO hub to handle both the Central American and Caribbean route networks to/from Costa Rica).

Interesting. Maybe new Caribbean routes? Tourist related perhaps..

Quoting Juanchito (Reply 35):
Today December 10th La Nueva Aurora GUA will be inaugurated by the Guatemalan Goverment where many airlines representatives,

Congratulations to GUA on having what i would now consider one of the best terminals in CA. Just need to flatten that runway a bit and you guys will be in business  Smile (j/k!)

snaiks

Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:26 pm

aparently on Friday the 7th, an aerorepublica flight to MDE had an engine down after 20 mins into the flight, the friend told me the flight droped 10k feet, anyone have any other info?? what do u guys think bout aerorepublicas MD's are they safe? I know that the MD's dont get along well with central or south america

SJOtoLIR

Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:12 am

Welcome to the high season !
New air services are expecting in Central America this week.
By the way, some seasonal and charter flights are being activated once again. Furthermore, some regular operations will be upgrade in either frequencies or equipment.
I attached the new mainline services expected for this week.

Air Caraibes to Panama City and San Jose.
Fort de France - Point-a-Pitre - Panama City - San Jose.
Starts: December 11 th.
TX 250........FDF 14:15..........PTP 15:25 ...........E90........Tu, Th
TX 250........PTP 16:10..........PTY 18:10............E90........Tu, Th
TX 250........PTY 18:55..........SJO 19:00............E90........Tu, Th

TX 251 ........SJO 07:00.........PTY 09:10............E90........We, Fr
TX 251.........PTY 10:30.........PTP 14:30............E90........We, Fr
TX 251.........PTP 15:30.........FDF 16:10............E90........We, Fr

American Airlines. Dallas/Ft. Worth - Panama City.
Starts: December 13th
AA 2101.....DFW 16:45......PTY 22:15.......738.....We, Th, Sa, Su
AA 2102......PTY 10:55......DFW 14:35......738.....Mo, Th, Fr, Su

American Airlines. Ft. Lauderdale - San Jose.
AA 2113.....FLL 14:15........SJO 16:10........738.......Daily
AA2112.......SJO 17:35......FLL 21:15.........738.......Daily

Delta Air Lines. New York JFK - Panama City.
DL 343........JFK 08:35........PTY 13:45........738..........Mo, We, Th, Sa
DL342.........PTY 14:35........JFK 19:50........738..........Mo, We, Th, Sa

Sam/Avianca. Bogota - San Jose.
Starts: December 14th
AV 186.....BOG 09:45........SJO 11:00......F100.....Mo, We, Fr, Su
AV 187.....SJO 11:45.........BOG 15:00.....F100.....Mo, We, Fe, Su

Delta Air Lines. New York - Guatemala City.
Starts: December 14th
DL 345........JFK 09:35........GUA 13:43.......738.........Tu, Fr, Su
DL 344........GUA 14:43.......JFK 20:38........738.........Tu, Fr, Su

United Airlines. Chicago O'Hare - Liberia.
Starts again: December 15th. Operates seasonally.
UA 1099......ORD 08:30.........LIR 13:40.......320...........Sa, Su
UA 1060......LIR 14:30...........ORD 19:29.....320...........Sa, Su

U.S. Airways. Philadelphia - San Jose.
Starts again: December 15th. Operates seasonally.
US 1923........PHL 09:45.......SJO 14:01.....319...........Sa
US 1922........SJO 14:55.......PHL 20:47.....319...........Sa

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 33):
CM had initially announced new services for PTY-POS by December 15th.

In other news from Copa Airlines, service to BGA Bucaramanga, Colombia has been activated since October: 4x weekly with E190. Operated by P5 Aerorepublica.

CM 619.......PTY 20:30..........BGA 22:00.......E90.........Tu, We, Fr, Su
CM 618.......BGA 07:31.........PTY 09:01........E90.........Mo, We, Th, Sa

the entire E190 fleet will be based at their SJO hub to handle both the Central American and Caribbean route networks to/from Costa Rica).

Wow ! Based on TACA's assessment, eleven E190s seem a huge amount of planes for operations entirely to Central America and the Caribbean from SJO. The following comprehensive model illustrates that no more than six airplanes are enough to satisfy the current status and focusing on the named regions:

Plane number 1.
TA SJO-HAV. 10x weekly. Airbus equipment.

Plane number 2.
TA SJO-SDQ. 7x weekly. Airbus equipment.
TA SJO-SAL. 7x weekly. Airbus equipment.

Plane number 3.
TA PTY-SJO-SAL. 14x weekly. Airbus equipment.

Plane number 4 and 5.
TA SJO-GUA 21x weekly. Airbus equipment.
TA SJO-SAP. 4x weekly. ATR

Plane number 6.
TA SJO-MGA. 7x weekly. ATR
TA SJO-MGA-SAL. 7x weekly. ATR

I am aware the 100-seat E190 cannot be certainly compared with the rest of TA's fleet, as well as the forecast on demand in the following years may justify deploying eleven E190s in mid-term and originated in Costa Rica. I am personally puzzled concerning to any profitable new route from SJO, heading either to the rest of Central America or the Caribbean on TA.

Regards.

viaggiare

Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:17 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 38):
eleven E190s seem like a huge amount of planes for operations entirely to Central America and the Caribbean from SJO.

It does sound like overkill upon first hearing of it, but consider: (a) they currently have two 319 routes (HAV and SDQ) which might be better served with the E90s, (b) they currently have two ATR routes (MGA and SAP) which also might be better served with the E90s... there's your first four birds arriving late next year, (c) there are other routes they may be considering for 2009 and beyond, and my hallucination is that the following are probably being looked into: ADZ (frequent TA/LR charters headed that way), BAQ (used to be a tag-on to the PTY flights in the old days), SJU (LR flew there too at some point), DAV (they've already expressed interest there), GCM (once a tech stop-over on the old flights to MIA and home to a relatively significant tico worker colony), BGI, POS (these two are heavyweight CARICOM states with which Costa Rica has growing commercial ties, a free trade agreement in place, and diplomatic relations at the ambassador level), and for all we know perhaps even BZE (suffering from poor connections to Central/South America) and KIN (seeing plenty of Jamaicans hanging out in downtown San Jose these days, lol) are being given some thought.

Edit: Took out CLO and MDE from this educated guess list of mine as both are extraterritorial although in my opinion well-suited for regular service with this size aircraft to/from SJO. I also thought SCU (which had been proposed on a previous thread of this series) and a leisure destination in the Dominican Republic might turn out to be a couple of good additions to the list, but ultimately decided to leave my frivolous speculation at that for now.

[Edited 2007-12-10 21:52:42]

2travel2know

Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:00 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 38):
American Airlines. Dallas/Ft. Worth - Panama City.
AA 2101.....DFW 16:45......PTY 22:15.......738.....We, Th, Sa, Su

Sadly, the PTY-DFW flight doesn't connect with the DFW-NRT. Lots of possible PTY-Asia traffic lost there.

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 39):
(a) they currently have two 319 routes (HAV and SDQ) which might be better served with the E90s,

If TA needs to downgrade their SJO-HAV and SJO-SDQ flights from A319 to E190, TA might be doing something wrong, while their competitors are to offer HAV 4 daily and have capacity problems with thrice daily SDQ flights.

viaggiare

Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:51 pm

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 40):

If TA needs to downgrade their SJO-HAV and SJO-SDQ flights from A319 to E190, TA might be doing something wrong, while their competitors are to offer HAV 4 daily and have capacity problems with thrice daily SDQ flights.

Well, who knows... perhaps they're even thinking of experimenting with twice daily runs on the E90s.

MaverickM11

Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:04 pm

Sadly, the PTY-DFW flight doesn't connect with the DFW-NRT. Lots of possible PTY-Asia traffic lost there.

That is interesting; why is it so late out of PTY? Is AA counting on CM interline traffic from their 1000 North bank?
E pur si muove -Galileo

2travel2know

Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:09 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 42):
That is interesting; why is it so late out of PTY? Is AA counting on CM interline traffic from their 1000 North bank?

I would guess AA is counting on all those CO IAH passengers who couldn't make the connection in PTY for various reasons.. Sometimes CO isn't able to offer enough capacity on their IAH-PTY-IAH flights.

juanchito

Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:21 pm

On today newspaper Prensalibre. It says that Iberia would increase from 3 weekly to 4 weekly flights to Guatemala on the triangular route with Panama, in the article says that it is Costa Rica.

It also says that Copa wants to increase flights from 5 daily to 7 daily and they have ask for a VIP room for Sky Team

Source:
http://www.prensalibre.com/pl/2007/diciembre/12/190222.html

Sky Team service in GUA

Copa
CM497 GUA-PTY 73G Daily
CM710 GUA-MGA-PTY E90 Daily
CM381 GUA-SJO-PTY E90 Daily
CM115 GUA-MGA-PTY 73G Daily
CM319 GUA-PTY 73G Daily

Delta
DL310 GUA-ATL 752 Daily
DL228 GUA-LAX 752 5 Weekly
DLxxx GUA-JFK 752 3 Wedkly (Starting Dec 15)

Continental
CO457 GUA-IAH 752 Daily
CO459 GUA-IAH 752 Daily
CO444 GUA-IAH 738 Daily (Only for the Holidays)
CO1067 GUA-EWR 738 1 Weekly

Regards

Juanchito
Fotografos de Aviacion de Guatemala. Spotter.
https://www.facebook.com/Fot%C3%B3grafo ... 661476921/

MaverickM11

Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:26 pm

Quoting Juanchito (Reply 44):
CO1067 GUA-EWR 738 1 Weekly

3 Weekly for December
E pur si muove -Galileo

aer

Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:29 pm

Quoting Juanchito (Reply 44):
they have ask for a VIP room for Sky Team

Wonder under which brand, Presidents Club or Crown Room?

SJOtoLIR

Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:09 am

My concern to expansion on TA:

a. They need to boost more services from their Central American focus cities [SJO, SAL, GUA] to these U.S. destinations where connections are affordable through UA network [mainly LAX and IAD] in order to exploit better the TA/UA pact.
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...erican-presence-with-taca-and.html
TA needs to watch carefully the movements given for AV. They are recently opening BOG-SJO and probably planning an expansion to Central America by means of its subsidiary MM. AV has obtained authorization to operate FRA and IAD being bases of Star Alliance system. AV will receive new fleet next year.

b. With respect to flights merely in Central America, the regional network would be improved as discussed early. Another specific point of view: TACA system is flying up to 3x daily MGA-SAL with ATR/Airbus and obviously these services are not consistent with themselves.

c. Regarding the eleven E90s based at SJO for flights heading to Central America and the Caribbean, it should be aware that their competitors are already catching passengers from SJO for operations in the isthmus: PTY-SJO-SAP, PTY-SJO-GUA, PTY-SJO-TGU and PTY-SJO-MGA.

d. In my humble opinion, a profitable venture in the Caribbean might be questionable. It will be interesting to look forward about how TA is doing with SJO-HAV and SJO-SDQ, prior to suggest new destinations/frequencies in such region.

e. Operations in/to South America are apparently working well. They started SAL-LIM and LIM-MVD as long as the new morning bank for selected routes from LIM has enhanced the network. I don't want to speculate with routes, but new services/frequencies from LIM would be a viable possibility following such pattern.

Further friendly discussions below:  Smile

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 39):
ADZ (frequent TA/LR charters headed that way), BAQ (used to be a tag-on to the PTY flights in the old days), SJU (LR flew there too at some point), DAV (they've already expressed interest there), GCM (once a tech stop-over on the old flights to MIA

Nice reference to these nostalgic flights from the good old days !
Let me quote some operations stated on LACSA's timetable; issued on October 1986: SJO-SJU, SJO-MIA, SJO-PTY-BAQ-MAR-CCS, SJO-SAL-MEX-LAX, SJO-GUA-MEX-LAX, SJO-SAP-CUN-MSY and SJO-UIO-GYE-GIG [Varig cooperation].
The old business relationship Cayman Airways-LACSA as well as few/none U.S. carriers serving the Cayman Islands were topics to justify LR SJO-GCM-MIA.
If I recall correctly, SJO-ADZ was active as LR600, more than 25 years backward. Nowadays, some charters are available during the high season as you pointed out. It's the same with SJO-CUN.
By the late 90s, LR flew SJO-CCS-SJU-SDQ with 732.

their competitors are to offer HAV 4 daily and have capacity problems with thrice daily SDQ flights

CM is likely developing their network to the Caribbean supported in connections mostly from South America.
LAN system, AR and JJ [among other South American carriers] have very limited services there, or not existing at all.
Passengers from Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay and Chile can easily get there counting no more than one layover on the way to several destinations in the Caribbean.
The backtracking through MIA becomes unattractive compared with connections through PTY from deep South America.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 42):
That is interesting; why is it so late out of PTY?

Central America to Asia?
Immediate connections through U.S. gateways are not easy due to their morning/mid-day departures in average.
The red-eye schedules Central America - the USA might have a chance, despite the waiting time ranged at [8 to 11] hours.

Regards.

mt99

Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:47 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 47):
TACA system is flying up to 3x daily MGA-SAL with ATR/Airbus and obviously these services are not consistent with themselves.

I dont get your comment. Care to explain a bit.

a. They need to boost more services from their Central American focus cities [SJO, SAL, GUA] to these U.S. destinations where connections are affordable through UA network [mainly LAX and IAD] in order to exploit better the TA/UA pact.

I agree with you 100%. They have the agreement with UA - they need to exploit the hell of it.

Central America to Asia?

Why is everyone so intent on an Asia - Central America direct link? I might be wrong but i seriously do not see a market for this.

2travel2know

Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:53 pm

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 48):
Why is everyone so intent on an Asia - Central America direct link? I might be wrong but i seriously do not see a market for this.

Are you aware on the amount of Asian investment in Panama (current and future) and the huge Asian community here?

mt99

Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:56 pm

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 49):
Are you aware on the amount of Asian investment in Panama (current and future) and the huge Asian community here?

No i am not. Give me some numbers.. or at least were i can find them..

Another thing "Asia" is a pretty big place. does this investment come from 1 particular country?

One more thing.. its freaking far!!

PTY-SIN = 11679 mi
PTY-HKG = 10095 mi
PTY-NRT = 8410 mi

The current longest flight SIN-JFK is only:

SIN-JFK=9537 mi

[Edited 2007-12-13 07:15:47]

2travel2know

Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:23 pm

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 50):
No i am not. Give me some numbers.. or at least were i can find them..

Another thing "Asia" is a pretty big place. does this investment come from 1 particular country?

Panamanian schools to teach ChineseI hope this gets you an smile at least.. Imagine a couple of thousands of Chinese who will come here as Mandarin teachers and most likely, with their families.
Investment will be coming from Japan, Korea, PR China, Taiwan, Singapore even India.
Panama has major infrastructure projects on the way (Panama Canal 3rd set of locks, Panama City coastal avenue, new Trans-isthmian highway, possible refineries, major port expansions). Asians want a piece of the action.