FWAERJ
Topic Author

Southwest: Why No "Illinois One" Or "Chicago One"?

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:26 pm

I know a similar thread was posted nearly two years ago (and is now locked and archived), but MDW is now the second-biggest city in the WN system in terms of daily flights (up from #3 when it was last posted).

But WN still doesn't have an "Illinois One" or "Chicago One" state/city flag 737 in their fleet despite this achievement... why? They have California One, Arizona One, Nevada One, New Mexico One, Maryland One, and (of course) Lone Star One, but no Illinois One, even though MDW and Illinois are just as important to WN's operations as those other states and cities (especially with Boeing headquarters being in Chicago).

Personally, I think the City of Chicago flag would look better than the State of Illinois flag on a WN 737... the state flag has too much white space, while the Chicago flag would look great.

Are there no plans for an "Illinois One" or "Chicago One" 737-700... or is it not a matter of if, but when?
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

EXAAUADL

RE: Southwest: Why No "Illinois One" Or "Chicago One&qu

Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:27 pm

Hey I agree....the illinois eagel on the side of a WN 737 would look great

access-air

Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:12 pm

Yeah I think the Illinois flag would look better than the flag for "Chicago's Finest"..... Smile

Who knows, maybe they should put the Chicago Skyline on the tail like Chicago Express used to on their Jestream 31s and SAABs....

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

crjflyer35

Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:13 pm

My vote would be for the city of Chicago flag.....never thought about it, but it would be cool.
Ok, wait for the RJ to pass, cleared to push tail south Mike, and you're cleared to spin #2 in the push.

EXAAUADL

Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:39 pm

Well the california bear is a white background and it looks good on the side of the plane:

you guys are getting dangreously close to a IL v Chicago argument that plauges the state.....A Chicago One would be the only "City" scheme in the fleet, where all others are state schemes.

Tom in NO

Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:47 pm

Back in the day, we used to hope for a "Louisiana One"...ran a couple of threads here on it not too long after a.net cranked up.....the main theme was to be a crawfish with the engines dressed up as the crawfish pinchers.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

bcoz

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:49 pm

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 1):
the illinois eagel on the side of a WN 737 would look great

It would indeed, but Blago probably wants too much kickback money for the rights to use it.  Smile

bcoz

mia

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:52 pm

Well, using your reasoning: why no Florida 1? or Orland 1?
"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."

access-air

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:54 pm

Hey they could put Mayor Daley on the tail with a big red circle and slash thru it.....

Im still angry with his Midnite Dance of the Bulldozers at CGX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Access-Air

Cubsrule

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:08 pm

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 8):
Hey they could put Mayor Daley on the tail with a big red circle and slash thru it.....

...except that Daley has been wonderful for WN and MDW.

Seriously, maybe the problem is a lack of suitable subject matter, but the skyline would be REALLY cool.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

2H4

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:12 pm

I was thinking along the same lines. Maybe a big picture of a jackass in a suit...

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

atrude777

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:21 pm

I think WN makes a state flag for their planes when Southwest has reached 50% or MORE of the MARKET SHARE of THAT state at the time the decision was made.

With such large operations of United, and American at ORD, combined with other cities AA and ORD flies to, and WN only flying to MDW, WN may not have that much of a market share in Illinois.

This would make sense for places such as Maryland, Nevada, Arizona, California, Texas, because WN flies to more then one place in that state, with exception to Maryland, and this helps the market share.

Number of flights or how large an operation doesn't neccesarily promote a state flag.

So perhaps WN has not reached 50% or more in Florida, even combined with the number of flights to/from/within Florida and the cities also.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

MSYtristar

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:27 pm

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 5):
Back in the day, we used to hope for a "Louisiana One"...ran a couple of threads here on it not too long after a.net cranked up.....the main theme was to be a crawfish with the engines dressed up as the crawfish pinchers

And our rationale was very justified. Louisiana makes a ton of sense since it was WN's first out of Texas destination.

EXAAUADL

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:33 pm

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 11):
I think WN makes a state flag for their planes when Southwest has reached 50% or MORE of the MARKET SHARE of THAT state at the time the decision was made.

there is no way WN has 50% market share in CA. Intra-California maybe but not all California. Same probably with AZ and certainly TX.

atrude777

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:41 pm

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 13):
there is no way WN has 50% market share in CA. Intra-California maybe but not all California. Same probably with AZ and certainly TX.

Maybe not now...but i stated at the time the decision was made.

I don't know when California One Debuted nor LoneStar Either, but I do know this was after PSA had been swallowed and US Air weakened in California.

As for Arizona, when the only large player in Arizona was America West, and WN had major ops in PHX and a presence in RNO, not sure at the time when Arizona One came out...as for Texas, think how many cities WN flies to in Texas.

But again, I am not claiming it as a fact, I just heard the decision was based on market share AT THE TIME the state flag plane was released.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

access-air

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:49 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 9):
but the skyline would be REALLY cool.

Thats what I originally suggested...could be a nice gesture to make up for SWA's forced demise of Chicago Express....

Access-Air

Cubsrule

RE: Southwest: Why No "Illinois One" Or "Chicago O

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:52 pm

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 15):
Thats what I originally suggested...could be a nice gesture to make up for SWA's forced demise of Chicago Express....

FL could have bought C8...

AirframeAS

Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:52 pm

Im still waiting for Washington One for SEA/GEG. That would be a good flag...a totally green fuselage!  Smile
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

access-air

Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:22 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 16):
Quoting Access-Air (Reply 15):

FL could have bought C8...

But they didnt.....Unfortunately.........

Access-Air

ebs757

Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:34 pm

Yeah I think that would be a good idea. I see all of WN's schemes over my house landing at Midway everyday. Something to do with Chicago or Illinois wouldn't be bad
Viva la Vida

Cubsrule

Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:44 pm

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 18):
But they didnt.....Unfortunately.........

Indeed; they might have actually succeeded at MDW then... can't have that.

sw733

Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:52 pm

Im still angry with his Midnite Dance of the Bulldozers at CGX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good thought, but completely incorrect, with clearly no research or proof behind it. Along the lines of what Cubsrule said, WN support Mayor Daley as recently as 2 weeks ago - look it up.

planespotting

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:03 am

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 4):
you guys are getting dangreously close to a IL v Chicago argument that plauges the state.....A Chicago One would be the only "City" scheme in the fleet, where all others are state schemes.

As much respect I have for downstaters - WN doesn't do much at all for anyone outside of Chicagoland in Illinois (and maybe the St. Louis metro area). Yes some people may drive to Midway for cheaper flights from the hinterland, but really, 85% or so of Illinois lies beyond the Chicagoland area (it's a bigass state - especially north-south!).

It wouldn't make much sense to have an Illinois state airplane when the vast majority of the state (in terms of land area) is not convenient to a Southwest airport.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

sw733

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:15 am

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 22):

As much respect I have for downstaters - WN doesn't do much at all for anyone outside of Chicagoland in Illinois (and maybe the St. Louis metro area). Yes some people may drive to Midway for cheaper flights from the hinterland, but really, 85% or so of Illinois lies beyond the Chicagoland area (it's a bigass state - especially north-south!).

Good point. However, it's not necesarilly a "big ass" state...it's only ranked 25 out of 50.

planespotting

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:51 am

Quoting SW733 (Reply 23):
Good point. However, it's not necesarilly a "big ass" state...it's only ranked 25 out of 50.

Well, mainly I meant that it's long as hell - it takes about 6 hours to get from chicago to cairo (374 miles).
Do you like movies about gladiators?

sw733

Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:29 am

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 24):
Well, mainly I meant that it's long as hell - it takes about 6 hours to get from chicago to cairo (374 miles)

Oh man, I've done that drive...horrible. And no payoff at the end...Cairo is god awful.

lrdc9

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:07 am

Quoting MIA (Reply 7):

Becuase MDW effectivly serves as a hub, a transfer point for innumerable pax!! IMO City of Chicago a/c, not IL.
Just say NO to scabs.

access-air

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:51 am

Quoting SW733 (Reply 21):
Good thought, but completely incorrect, with clearly no research or proof behind it. Along the lines of what Cubsrule said, WN support Mayor Daley as recently as 2 weeks ago - look it up.

Well my Namibian friend, I guess that you dont know sarcasm when you read it....

When I try to be serious, people in here think I'm being funny and when I joke around, people think I'm being serious....

Good God man, dont have a cow....I was just joking around....

Access-Air

BooDog

Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:08 am

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 22):
85% or so of Illinois lies beyond the Chicagoland area (it's a bigass state - especially north-south!).

Southwest was born and raised in Texas. To them, Texas is the ONLY bigass state. How many airports does WN serve in IL? 1. How many in TX? 10.

Well, mainly I meant that it's long as hell - it takes about 6 hours to get from chicago to cairo (374 miles).

A non-stop flight from Dalhart, TX to Bismark, ND (749 miles) is shorter than a flight from Dalhart, TX to Brownsville, TX. (759 miles) Illinois is a bigass state? Where'd you grow up at, Rhode Island?  Smile
B1B - best looking aircraft ever.

ShyFlyer

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:14 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 10):
I was thinking along the same lines. Maybe a big picture of a jackass in a suit...

Mayor Daley vs. Jackass in a suit... what's the difference?  Big grin

If Southwest launches an Illinois One it should also carry Spirit of Meigs Field titles.  mischievous 
I lift things up and put them down.

2H4

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:20 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 29):
If Southwest launches an Illinois One it should also carry Spirit of Meigs Field titles.

That's brilliant. I wish I had connections strong enough to suggest (or better yet, influence) the idea.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

Chi-town

Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:50 pm

Quoting BooDog (Reply 28):
A non-stop flight from Dalhart, TX to Bismark, ND (749 miles) is shorter than a flight from Dalhart, TX to Brownsville, TX. (759 miles) Illinois is a bigass state? Where'd you grow up at, Rhode Island? Smile

I love all you Texans. Have to go off and hoot and holler about your "pride" and how great Texas is.

Ok...ok...we get the point Texas is big.

BR715-A1-30

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:51 pm

Quoting MIA (Reply 7):

Florida hasn't been around that long... About 11 years or so?

Marion to Chicago is about 5 hours.. I make the drive frequently on my way to Mequon, WI

Quoting Chi-town (Reply 31):
Here are the two options.

I think this is a great idea.

Another idea would be the state of Illinois flag on one side, and the Chicago flag on the other. It would certainly be different, but It would also tell the story as to where the aircraft scheme came from.
Puhdiddle

EXAAUADL

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:39 pm

They could put Gov Blogo on the tail of their planes....or maybe a convicted politician holding a bag of $$$ wearing a prison outfit.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos