tonytifao

TSA - Question On $$$

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:44 am

Does TSA have the right to search your bag, and if they find money, lets say $3000 cash, are they allowed to count that money?

My brother was coming back from a trip and they counted the money. Any privacy issues?

Thanks,
tony

bok269

RE: TSA - Question On $$$

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:48 am

Was it international? I know you are not allowed to take more than $10,000 out of the country without a declaration, but that seems like an issue for Customs and Immigration. Maybe they were concerned with something being hidden in the money? However, if this was a violation of rules, it wouldn't surprise me that this would occur  duck .
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

VC10DC10

Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:11 am

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 1):
that seems like an issue for Customs and Immigration.

True, but if someone is illegally carrying very large sums of cash (say, someone involved with narcotics smuggling) and Customs and Immigration don't catch it, surely TSA is another line of law enforcement and defense against potentially dangerous passengers. Just my $.02.

star_world

Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:14 am

I can't see how this is under the authority of the TSA at all. I would have very loudly and very clearly told them to put it down, it's nothing to do with them.

People are WAY too compliant sometimes just because someone has a "law enforcement" title.

tonytifao

Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:20 am

It was only 3k, not over 10k. They counted the money in front of everyone.

bok269

Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:29 am

Quoting Tonytifao (Reply 4):

I realize that. My thought was maybe they were trying to count it to verify that it was not more than 10k.

ilovepabst

Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:32 am

Was this checked baggage they searched or a carry on at the security checkpoint?

legacyins

Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:33 am

It was probably counted so there would be no confussion if some of the money ends up missing.

tonytifao

Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:58 am

it was carry on. Shouldn't TSA worry about bombs, knives, etc and not how much money you carry?

VC10DC10

Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:06 am

Quoting Tonytifao (Reply 8):
Shouldn't TSA worry about bombs, knives, etc and not how much money you carry?

Sometimes the guys with way too much cash know way too much about bombs and knives. If you're so ticked off, file a complaint with someone.

Boston92

Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:35 am

If there are rules on how fast you can drive in a certain area (i.e speed limits), than the police certainly have a right to check how fast you are going to be assured you are not breaking the law.

If there are rules on how much money you can take out of the country, than TSA (or whoever) have a right to count the money to be assured you are not breaking the law.
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

kstatepilot

Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:43 am

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 10):
If there are rules on how much money you can take out of the country, than TSA (or whoever) have a right to count the money to be assured you are not breaking the law.

Yes but how many TSA agents actually know how much money you can take in and out of the country? Also how do they know you haven't declared it? Also how does the screening agent know you are going out of the country? They don't see your ticket.

What about airport codes? do they know that GDL means Guadalajara Mexico and not Glendale CA?

BlatantEcho

Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:52 am

it's pretty hard to pass judgment based on an isolated incident.

that said, it does seem the freedoms both citizens and visitors to the US usually enjoy are being encroached on by organized groups like the TSA.

again, isolated incident, but counting money....toe nail clippers....making life miserable at airports.... the list seems to grow longer of the difficulties created, and the gain, hardly measurable.
They're not handing trophies out today

Asiaflyer

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:45 am

Quoting Tonytifao (Reply 8):
Shouldn't TSA worry about bombs, knives, etc and not how much money you carry?

Fully agree with you. TSA has nothing to do with how much money you carry. That's what customs are there for.
TSA should focus on security instead.
My wife found a Swiss army knife in her purse some days after she flew LAX-SIN. One of our kids had put it there the week before and it was forgotten. TSA at LAX for sure missed it!!!!!!! Scary to see how useless they are.
SQ,MI,MH,CX,KA,CA,CZ,MU,KE,OZ,QF,NZ,FD,JQ,3K,5J,IT,AI,IC,QR,SK,LF,KL,AF,LH,LX,OS,SR,BA,SN,FR,WF,1I,5T,VZ,VX,AC,NW,UA,US,

hamad

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:34 pm

i have been in an out of the USA sometimes carriying 5K, 3K, 2K.... no body ever said anything
PHX - i miss spotting

BR715-A1-30

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:40 pm

Quoting Kstatepilot (Reply 11):
Also how does the screening agent know you are going out of the country? They don't see your ticket.

Actually they do... You DO have to show them your boarding pass to get through the checkpoint.
Puhdiddle

GBan

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:41 pm

Quoting VC10DC10 (Reply 9):
Sometimes the guys with way too much cash know way too much about bombs and knives.

Oh, certainly indeed. And sometimes the guys with [fill in whatever you want] know way too much about bombs and knives...

N766UA

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:45 pm

It's not like they tried to confiscate it, so what? Let the TSA count your money, be done with their little power trip, and be on your way. Heck, you could hide a blade or a packet of something in a stack of cash... if it's in your carry on they have a right to check it.
This Website Censors Me

eghansen

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:47 pm

Quoting Star_world (Reply 3):
I can't see how this is under the authority of the TSA at all. I would have very loudly and very clearly told them to put it down, it's nothing to do with them.

People are WAY too compliant sometimes just because someone has a "law enforcement" title.

Tell that to the woman who died under TSA custody in Phoenix. Or the man the airport police shot dead in Miami. Or the man tasered to death in Canada.

Like it or not, when I fly I say "yes sir" and "no sir" to all the security/customs/immigration officlals I meet. I do not argue, complain or anything else. Who wants to go through a strip/body cavity search by some burly official hired out off the street with little background check?
Nowadays, it is hard to tell when the commercials end and real life begins

star_world

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:12 pm

Quoting Eghansen (Reply 18):
Tell that to the woman who died under TSA custody in Phoenix. Or the man the airport police shot dead in Miami. Or the man tasered to death in Canada.

Like it or not, when I fly I say "yes sir" and "no sir" to all the security/customs/immigration officlals I meet. I do not argue, complain or anything else. Who wants to go through a strip/body cavity search by some burly official hired out off the street with little background check?

Well how is the rest of the world different then? The US is the only first-world country I am regularly in where I see this behaviour from the average people - the look of terror in their eyes if someone in a uniform so much as looks at them.

Maybe if more people didn't put up with it they wouldn't get away with being overgrown school bullies...

phljjs

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:24 pm

Quoting Eghansen (Reply 18):

I don't know what newspaper you read, but the TSA had nothing to do with that woman or her death. She was in the custody of the Phoenix Airport Police. They were called to the gate area to deal with her by US Airways personel after she became disorderly when she missed her flight.
Also, the man in Miami was shot by a Federal Air Marshal after saying he had a bomb in his bag, disregarding orders to lay on the ground and reaching into his backpack, making the FAMs believe he really did have a bomb or weapon.

scrubbsywg

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:47 pm

Quoting N766UA (Reply 17):
It's not like they tried to confiscate it, so what? Let the TSA count your money, be done with their little power trip, and be on your way. Heck, you could hide a blade or a packet of something in a stack of cash... if it's in your carry on they have a right to check it.

i think the issue is not that they actually counted it, but that they counted it in front of everyone and thus let everyone know that he was carrying that kind of cash on him.

copter808

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:47 pm

Quoting PHLJJS (Reply 20):
I don't know what newspaper you read, but the TSA had nothing to do with that woman or her death. She was in the custody of the Phoenix Airport Police. They were called to the gate area to deal with her by US Airways personel after she became disorderly when she missed her flight.
Also, the man in Miami was shot by a Federal Air Marshal after saying he had a bomb in his bag, disregarding orders to lay on the ground and reaching into his backpack, making the FAMs believe he really did have a bomb or weapon.

Well put! TSA bashers tend to blame them for everything! I'm as frustrated with them as anyone, but they have an unpopular job to do.

yfbflyer

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:49 pm

If there are rules on how much money you can take out of the country, than TSA (or whoever) have a right to count the money to be assured you are not breaking the law

The TSA in no way should be counting your money. Now there is nothing stopping them from saying" we are looking through the money to ensure there are no weapons concealed inside"

AEROFAN

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:51 pm

They do not have the right to count your money, unless the money was made with explosives.

He should have told them to concentrate on what they are supposed to be doing.

eghansen

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:35 pm

Quoting Star_world (Reply 19):
Well how is the rest of the world different then? The US is the only first-world country I am regularly in where I see this behaviour from the average people - the look of terror in their eyes if someone in a uniform so much as looks at them.

Irregardless of who was to blame, I do not wish to be next. So I have learned when traveling to look at TSA agents and flight attendents with the appropriate look of terror, and approach all Customs/Gate Agents with complete subservience lest they toss my suitcase in the trash bin and I never see it again. By doing this, I usually get to my destination with no problems or lost luggage.

I throughly expect that in a few more years time we will all be required to fly in the US completely naked and will not be permitted to have any baggage at all.
Nowadays, it is hard to tell when the commercials end and real life begins

TVNWZ

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:58 pm

TSA has the right to inspect anything you bring through sexurity. Period.
Argue with them if you must, but you may either, miss your flight, or get an unscheduled flight to Cuba. Your call.

RedChili

Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:03 pm

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 26):

False. The TSA is, in their own words, "mandated by law to appropriately screen air travelers to ensure that certain items and persons prohibited from flying don’t board commercial airliners." Those "certain items" do not include 3,000 dollars, and whether a passenger carries 200 or 20,000 dollars does not matter, as money is not a prohibited item.

The TSA does not have a legal mandate to infringe on anybody's personal integrity. That means that they cannot start reading personal letters found in your baggage, read business contracts, couint your money, etc. If they suspect that you're breaking other U.S. laws (such as customs laws), they can inform the customs officials about it, but they themselves have no authority to conduct a customs inspection.

Quoting Tonytifao (Thread starter):
My brother was coming back from a trip and they counted the money.

I don't understand: If he was coming back from a trip, did he go through security after the flight?
Top 10 airplanes: B737, T154, B747, IL96, T134, IL62, A320, MD80, B757, DC10

AF340

Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:21 pm

Quoting RedChili (Reply 27):
I don't understand: If he was coming back from a trip, did he go through security after the flight?

He was obviously on the return leg but at the departing airport.

AF340

bennett123

Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:22 pm

I find it scary that not only are the TSA allowed to behave this way, (there have been numerous threads) but that US Citizens regard being scared of their own authorities as normal.

TVNWZ

Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:25 pm

Quoting RedChili (Reply 27):
False. The TSA is, in their own words, "mandated by law to appropriately screen air travelers to ensure that certain items and persons prohibited from flying don’t board commercial airliners." Those "certain items" do not include 3,000 dollars, and whether a passenger carries 200 or 20,000 dollars does not matter, as money is not a prohibited item.

The TSA does not have a legal mandate to infringe on anybody's personal integrity. That means that they cannot start reading personal letters found in your baggage, read business contracts, couint your money, etc. If they suspect that you're breaking other U.S. laws (such as customs laws), they can inform the customs officials about it, but they themselves have no authority to conduct a customs inspection.

Good luck with that.

tonytifao

Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:35 pm

He was going thru regular airport security. he counted the money in front of everyone. He said he was clearly being a dick abou the situation, asked him what he did for a living, where he works and what the money is for.

LHRBlueSkies

Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:15 am

They counted the money in front of everyone.

Unprofessional move on the part of the TSA. It should have been done in private, with both a TSA supervisor and if required, the pax would have a witness as well. At least that is how we would do it here..

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 21):
i think the issue is not that they actually counted it, but that they counted it in front of everyone and thus let everyone know that he was carrying that kind of cash on him.

Exactly - well spotted!
flying is the safest form of transport - until humans get involved!

VC10DC10

Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:28 am

how many TSA agents actually know how much money you can take in and out of the country?

How do you know they aren't trained to know?

What about airport codes? do they know that GDL means Guadalajara Mexico and not Glendale CA?

If you can remember them, why can't they? If you tell me that TSA gate agents are all high school dropouts (or people of lesser mental caliber), you're perpetuating a false stereotype.

Quoting N766UA (Reply 17):

Good point. Just deal with it. No lasting harm done.

Quoting Copter808 (Reply 22):

Well put! TSA bashers tend to blame them for everything! I'm as frustrated with them as anyone, but they have an unpopular job to do.

I completely agree.

Was that Freudian?  Wink

Maverick623

Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:01 am

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 29):
US Citizens regard being scared of their own authorities as normal.

I rather think it's US Citizens being afraid of the hassle that said authorities can cause. Arguably just as bad, but we're certainly not worried about being sent to Gitmo.

Quoting Tonytifao (Reply 31):
asked him what he did for a living, where he works and what the money is for.

Totally outside of the screener's authority. I would've immediately called for a supervisor and not answer a single question about my personal life.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

VC10DC10

Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:51 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 34):
Totally outside of the screener's authority. I would've immediately called for a supervisor and not answer a single question about my personal life.

Perhaps, but why make a scene? You'd probably miss your flight.

Maverick623

Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:15 am

Quoting VC10DC10 (Reply 35):
Perhaps, but why make a scene? You'd probably miss your flight.

Because it needs to be brought to a superior's attention when an employee oversteps their boundaries, especially when said employee is employed by the US Government and hence ultimately answerable to the Good People of this Nation. But apparently they don't teach civics in school anymore. Such a shame.

And, seeing as I usually go thru security 2 hours before my flight departs, if I miss a flight because of some a-hole screener there's gonna be hell to pay.

Also to make it clear, I was randomly selected for secondary Customs screening last time I flew back into the US. The CBP officer asked me some personal questions, but all were within his scope of authority, which I just happen to agree with, plus he was polite. The whole process took about 15 minutes, which such a delay should be planned anyways when dealing with anything involving queue areas.

VC10DC10

Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:20 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 36):
Because it needs to be brought to a superior's attention when an employee oversteps their boundaries, especially when said employee is employed by the US Government and hence ultimately answerable to the Good People of this Nation. But apparently they don't teach civics in school anymore. Such a shame.

Who are you saying lacks a proper civics education: the employees and superiors, or that people who would prefer to avoid confrontation at the security point by overlooking minor 'power-trips'?

star_world

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:27 pm

Quoting VC10DC10 (Reply 37):
Who are you saying lacks a proper civics education: the employees and superiors, or that people who would prefer to avoid confrontation at the security point by overlooking minor 'power-trips'?

What a ridiculous, ignorant response. The answer to that question is blatantly obvious. There is no excuse for "power-trips", minor or otherwise and I know for a fact that I never put up with them. There's no reason for being scared of your own law enforcement people either, especially the entry-level ones working on the front line. Although admittedly dealing with TSA agents with any sort of intelligent or constructive comment has been very fruitless for me in the past, as it has invariably resulted in that deer-in-headlights look from them in response. Oh well  Smile

freshlove1

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:52 pm

Quoting Aerofan (Reply 24):
They do not have the right to count your money, unless the money was made with explosives.

You as a passenger have the right for private screening by the TSA. If TSA wants to check your personal items that you are bringing through security with you and you do not want this to be done in front of the rest of the public you have the right to request the private screening out of the public's view. The TSA would then take your belongings and take you to either a designated area out of the view of the public or the most common area is a curtain type set up off to the side of the screening area where it would be you, a TSA agent and a TSA supervisor. In the private area they then would go through your belongings and if they did want to count your cash, which I think would be a bit strange, you would be there to watch it all. The rest of the public does not need to know how much $$$ you have on you. It is not their business. Besides the TSA should be looking for the obvious items not concerning themselves on how much cash the guy in 12A on the MCO-LAX flight has.

AEROFAN

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:36 pm

Star_World,

You will soon come to learn that the supposedly American bravado, is false bravado at best. We, like everyone else are just as scared of the very same things that most other people are in the rest of the world are scared of.

Why else do you think we are so quick to lay down and play sheep, when some of our idiotic leaders do the crap they do?

We will bitch and moan, but at the end of the day, we will do the very same thing as anyone else in the rest of the world would.

Maverick623

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:48 pm

Quoting Aerofan (Reply 40):
We, like everyone else are just as scared of the very same things that most other people are in the rest of the world are scared of.

If you're suggesting that people are scared of the TSA, I daresay you need to deal with them a little more often. All bark, no bite.

TVNWZ

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:50 pm

Quoting VC10DC10 (Reply 33):

Was that Freudian?

Probably!  Wink

Mir

Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:51 pm

Not necessarily. There are such things as jurisdiction. TSA does not do the work of Customs - that's what Customs is for. If TSA suspected that he was breaking the law about how much money you can take out of the country, they should have kept him at the security checkpoint and called Customs. The same way that Customs can't check you for knives - that's the TSA's job.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

jettaknight

Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:16 pm

Quoting BR715-A1-30 (Reply 15):
Also how does the screening agent know you are going out of the country? They don't see your ticket.

Actually they do... You DO have to show them your boarding pass to get through the checkpoint

I don't believe that their intent is to determine your destination. I think that they're only checking to see if you've been flagged by the airline for the 'white-glove' treatment.

Analog

Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:34 pm

By counting the money the TSA is essentially acknowledging that it's money, which is not a prohibited item. Counting the money does nothing towards doing their job, which is to "screen air travelers to ensure that certain items and persons prohibited from flying don’t board commercial airliners." The TSO that's counting the money is wasting time and not doing his/her job, much as one playing a PSP as part of searching your bags is wasting time.

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 41):
If you're suggesting that people are scared of the TSA, I daresay you need to deal with them a little more often. All bark, no bite.

Most people are afraid of the TSA. If you're in the minority of passengers that deals with the TSA on a regular basis, then you probably come to realize the "all bark, no bite".

silentbob

Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:41 pm

Quoting Analog (Reply 45):
By counting the money the TSA is essentially acknowledging that it's money, which is not a prohibited item. Counting the money does nothing towards doing their job, which is to "screen air travelers to ensure that certain items and persons prohibited from flying don’t board commercial airliners." The TSO that's counting the money is wasting time and not doing his/her job, much as one playing a PSP as part of searching your bags is wasting time.

Law enforcement agencies across the US can confiscate large sums of cash from everyday citizens. It is then incumbent upon you to prove that the money did not come from an illegal source. While you may innocent unless proven guilty, your money is not. Do a little google searching and you will find many cases, including one that I believe went to the supreme court.

AirframeAS

Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:42 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 41):
If you're suggesting that people are scared of the TSA...

People are not scared of the TSA, people are sick and tired of the BS that the TSA screeners pull.

The TSA is there to check for prohibited items to ensure that it never gets inside the aircraft. No more, no less. The TSA cannot, under their authority, to inspect for how much an individual has in their wallet or personal letters, etc. That's the job of the Customs Enforcement/Immigrantation.

Most TSA agents do not know airport codes. If you have not looked at a boarding pass lately, you will see that none of them have any airport codes on them, only they have your orgin and your destination written in full, except for your reciept (read the fare storyline...). The TSA does not care where you are going, all they care about is that you have a vaild ticket for a vaild flight on the same day you are a the security cehckpoint, and that your name matches the boarding pass.

At the end of the day, you still got to your desination safely by your friendly airline and wonderful cabin crew.   

Edit add: Some TSA screeners think they are cops just because they have a 'badge' on their uniforms. Has anyone noticed that their 'badges' are embroidered, hence not 'real' badges? That's a common misconception, I tell ya!

[Edited 2007-11-30 12:44:50]
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Analog

Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:55 pm

Quoting Silentbob (Reply 46):

Law enforcement agencies across the US can confiscate large sums of cash from everyday citizens. It is then incumbent upon you to prove that the money did not come from an illegal source. While you may innocent unless proven guilty, your money is not. Do a little google searching and you will find many cases, including one that I believe went to the supreme court.

I agree that LEOs can essentially steal your money and property, but how does that relate to the TSA counting cash? A TSO is not a law-enforcement officer, and count cash is not part of their job. If they suspect a crime, they can call for a LEO to investigate. If a TSO suspects that a person is illegally transporting money, a LEO should be called and perhaps count the money, etc. If a TSO suspects that a powder is cocaine, does he/she run a test for drugs? No. He/she calls the cops.

My point was that counting cash is as much a part of a TSO's job as playing video games.

bok269

Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:53 pm

Quoting Analog (Reply 48):

They were going through the content of a passengers belongings. That is fully within the scope of their duties. Did the screener in question mouth out the amount like he was counting it or did he/she flip through, fan out the money to make sure it wasn't concealing anything illegal/dangerous.

Believe me I am no supporter of the TSA, but I don't think they were at fault in this situation.