windowplease

Why No Seatmap On NW?

Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:07 pm

I always like to pre-select my seat on long flights - and like to be able to see what kind of seats are available before I book.

Why is NW the only US major carrier that does not allow you to see what seats are free?

Or is there a cunning work-around that provides an up to date seat map?

dtwclipper

RE: Why No Seatmap On NW?

Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:14 pm

Quoting Windowplease (Thread starter):
I always like to pre-select my seat on long flights - and like to be able to see what kind of seats are available before I book.

Why is NW the only US major carrier that does not allow you to see what seats are free?

I'm not sure what you are talking about. You most certainly can see the seat map when you make a booking.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

terryb99

Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:16 pm

Select Seats is an option near the bottom of the page at the beginning of the Purchase process on nw.com
You can still abort and not buy it after seeing the seat chart.

defaerosales

Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:16 pm

I don't know if there is a temporary issue, but I've always selected my seats thru NWA.com by selecting Manage my Reservations from the main page. You can click on the current seat assignment and it will show you a seat map as well as seats that are reserved for Elite or other priority selection.

Sorry - I didn't pick up the "before I book". I agree with previous posters on how to get the seatmap before booking.

Edited to add final paragraph.

[Edited 2007-12-02 06:18:44]

Transpac787

Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:12 pm

I always like to pre-select my seat on long flights -

Are you traveling internationally?? Sometimes NWA does not let non-FF select seats until check-in on the international flights. Don't quote me on that, but if that is in fact the case, make sure you check in immediately at 24 hours prior, and you'll be able to select your seat.

Hope that helps.

davescj

Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:37 pm

Orbitz will generally tell you what seats are currently open, just click on the flight. When you purchase, I think NW will let you pick a seat.

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

dl767captain

Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:31 pm

a lot of times for me there will randomly not be a "view seat map" on flights. Why is that?

dc-9-10

Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:51 pm

Northwest does not release seat maps until 90 days before the flight. That may be the case if you are buying tickets well in advance.

Dc-9-10

burnsie28

Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:59 pm

Give us more information on your flight details, might help us help you more.

Talk about not getting a seat assignment, with KL and OK I can't get seats until i check in that day!

Mir

Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:21 pm

Quoting DL767captain (Reply 6):
a lot of times for me there will randomly not be a "view seat map" on flights. Why is that?

There won't be a seat map for partner airline flights. Otherwise, when I look on the NW site, I see a big "view seat map" for each flight, even before booking.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ManchesterMAN

Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:00 pm

NWA.com is one of the very best websites for managing your booking, including selecting seats. The OP might not be able to select seats if the flight is not within the 90 day window.

Agree that BA are the pits re seat selection. One of the many reasons I haven't flown them long haul for 10 years (and that was back when my parents were booking flights for our family holidays!)
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

WA707atMSP

Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:08 pm

On flights that are more than 50% full, NW passengers will not be able to get a seat assignment at the time of ticket purchase unless

(a) they are an Elite member

(b) they pay $15 for a "coach choice" seat

Sometimes, seats are released within 7 days of flight departure, so check NWA.com often.

If seats don't open up within 7 days of departure, NWA.com will arbitrarily assign you a seat when you check in online, regardless of what your profile says.

When NWA.com has arbitrarily assigned me a seat I don't like, I've had to wait until 40 minutes before departure, then ask the gate agent for a seat I like.

In February, Northwest had to reroute me because the aircraft I was originally booked on was weight restricted. Even though there were several available window seats on the flight I was being rebooked on, the gate agent was not able to assign me one of them until 40 minutes before departure.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos