STT757
Topic Author

CO Ad In Today's New York Times Takes Aim At Delta

Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:04 pm

In today's New York Times there's a great full page CO ad which takes a direct jab at DL.

I will see if I can post a picture of the article later, but the title is..

"Change is..

what you get back after you have to pay for your meals on other airlines".

"CO is still serving free meals at Meal Times".

I thought it was a witty jab at DL's "Change is" advertising campaign.

A couple pages later in the New York Times there's another shot in the Bill Oreilly/Keith Olberman battle, this time it's FOX News congratulating Bill O' for his years of success beating MSNBC, CNN etc..
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

AirTranTUS

RE: CO Ad In Today's New York Times Takes Aim At Delta

Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:11 pm

Quoting STT757 (Thread starter):

"Change is..

rotfl  Ouch!! Not just making fun of DL but most other domestic airlines as well.
I love ASO!

Alitalia744

Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:28 pm

Quoting STT757 (Thread starter):
In today's New York Times there's a great full page CO ad which takes a direct jab at DL.

I will see if I can post a picture of the article later, but the title is..

"Change is..

Definitely witty and competitive. Guess CO's feeling some heat....
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

RyanairGuru

Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:28 pm

Humourous, yes. Fostering inter-SkyTeam relations... um, have to think about that...
Worked Hard, Flew Right

iahcsr

Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:35 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 3):
Fostering inter-SkyTeam relations... um, have to think about that...

I'm sure they did ... So they have no right to whine if DL returns the favor.  bitelip 
Working very hard to Fly Right....

breaker1011

Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:47 pm

If I were Continental, I would be cautious of what I tout as a "free meal." CO rocks as an airline, but on the last few segments I've done from EWR, I'd have very happily tossed the "free meal" back to the FA, along with my $9, in trade for an AA/DL BOB sandwich or salad. The BOB stuff actually has taste and substance to it. Kind of along the lines of "do it right" or "don't do it at all" applies sometimes...
Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid. J. Wayne

Alitalia744

Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:48 pm

here's the ad...

Big version: Width: 600 Height: 800 File size: 38kb
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

Evan767

Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:50 pm

That's almost as poor as the billboard they put up that said "Guess who's biggest to France from New York? Hint: It ain't Delta" as if Continental was biggest. Pathetic..

Besides, isn't there a thread on Flyertalk saying they're doing away with the free meals?
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

slider

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:21 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 5):
Humourous, yes. Fostering inter-SkyTeam relations... um, have to think about that...

Last time I checked, they are still very direct competitors.

SkyTeam relationship doesn't trump that, not at all.

avek00

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:27 pm

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 8):
Besides, isn't there a thread on Flyertalk saying they're doing away with the free meals?

CO is absolutely not doing away with complimentary meal service whatsoever.
Live life to the fullest.

RL757PVD

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:34 pm

They have one against United too thats like that

"Which airline is the biggest to asia?.. hint it isnt United"

Well it sure as hell isnt continental!

Which airline is trying to cover up the inadequacies in their routemap? .... hint it isnt UA or DL and they are hubbed in EWR!

Im all for creative and competitive marketing, but this CO "hint it isnt X" campaign is rather low and deceptive because in both cases they are calling out airlines that surpass CO's sevice (flights/seats) levels and making it seem CO has more when they really have less. Almost as trashy as NK's marketing  Wink
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

breaker1011

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:43 pm

Somehow I've always thought a bit less of corporate citizens that prefer to stab at their competitors rather than just tout what they bring to the game themselves. CO's got a great service to offer and has a nice network - what's the matter with just talking to it and leaving the competition out of it? I go back to when I was a kid and the airwaves were abound with Burger King and others batting at McD's over every deep-fried this and flame-broiled that. My dad, a very respectable guy I might add, used to say "that's what companies do when they are nervous about what they really offer." Today you've got the same thing being employed by companies and political candidates alike. Maybe the same premise still applies, maybe it's flawed, maybe it doesn't apply at all anymore. But I have enough respect for CO to know that they can stand on their own and earn probably more respect by taking these schemes out of their advertising and putting their dollars into ideas that better portray their image. I'm sure DL and UA both have done the same thing in the past, so I direct this post at those folks as well. But it does feel like CO practices these ad schemes more often and with more of a vengance that most other carriers.

rwsea

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:45 pm

CO is basically pissed at DL for adding all the routes that CO had in their own plans (BOM, DXB, LOS, etc.) but didn't have aircraft to start. With DL's big expansion at JFK (and to a lesser extent ATL), CO is feeling the pressure as they're basically out of international expansion options until the 787s arrive.

EWRCabincrew

Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:19 pm

Quoting Breaker1011 (Reply 6):
I'd have very happily tossed the "free meal" back to the FA, along with my $9, in trade for an AA/DL BOB sandwich or salad. The BOB stuff actually has taste and substance to it.

Is catering 100%? What if they ran out of items by the time they get to you? Just curious.

Quoting Breaker1011 (Reply 6):
Kind of along the lines of "do it right" or "don't do it at all" applies sometimes...

You can't please everybody, but you can try to please most.
You can't cure stupid

atmx2000

Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:24 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 3):

I can't see how two sky-team airlines can survive in the same city long term.
ConcordeBoy is a twin supremacist!! He supports quadicide!!

LAXdude1023

Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:27 pm

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 8):
That's almost as poor as the billboard they put up that said "Guess who's biggest to France from New York? Hint: It ain't Delta" as if Continental was biggest. Pathetic..

Its just catchy marketing. Its not pathetic, its funny. People will remeber that.

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 14):
You can't please everybody, but you can try to please most.

This is what I like about CO especially with reguards to their route network. Instead of being all over the place, they focus on serveing the markets they have really well. CO isnt much use to me being in LA, but Ive always like flying them when I can.
It is what it is...

EWRCabincrew

Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:33 pm

Quoting Atmx2000 (Reply 15):
I can't see how two sky-team airlines can survive in the same city long term.

A city with a metro population of 18 million plus people and add the people connecting through...a long while, I would think. There is more than enough room.
You can't cure stupid

Cory6188

Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:36 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 17):
A city with a metro population of 18 million plus people and add the people connecting through...a long while, I would think. There is more than enough room.

And furthermore, while I really don't want to turn this into a JFK vs. EWR thread, the two airports are pretty far from each other, and as such, appeal to different geographical markets as well (JFK serving Long Island, for example, while EWR is easily accessible from the NJ suburbs).

DAL767400ER

Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:43 pm

Quoting Cory6188 (Reply 18):
And furthermore, while I really don't want to turn this into a JFK vs. EWR thread, the two airports are pretty far from each other,

21.36 mi control tower to control tower  Silly , and lots of toll bridges and tunnels in between them.

Quoting Slider (Reply 9):
SkyTeam relationship doesn't trump that, not at all.

Depends on the airlines. AF/DL/KL/NW all share a very close business relationship with each other and make as much use of the alliance as possible. CO on the other hand...

breaker1011

Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:56 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 14):
Is catering 100%? What if they ran out of items by the time they get to you? Just curious.

Good question - but I've no clue how they cater the BOB. I've never been turned down for what I wanted on any BOB flight and yep, had a few tense moments sitting at the back of the bus wondering if they'd still have that pesto chicken wrap by the time they got to me - but voila, on AA and DL I've not had a problem. DL has been particularly nice as the BOB is sandwiched in between the snack pack and another "treat" before landing (aka junk food). I do wonder if BOBlines so over-cater the items to ensure selection that the extra cost of "overcatering" is what tends to make the prices feel high to some?

On the other hand, was on a flight many months ago that was SUPPOSED to offer a free meal in both cabins, and while I received mine, the PA announcement came that they had run out of meals due to unexpected boardings, apologizing to those that didn't receive one. Personally I'd not be too upset, but I could hear some people in the back getting a bit bent out of shape. Guess they didn't have time to pull the catering truck back to the gate.

EWRCabincrew

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:00 pm

Quoting Breaker1011 (Reply 20):
Good question - but I've no clue how they cater the BOB. I've never been turned down for what I wanted on any BOB flight and yep, had a few tense moments sitting at the back of the bus wondering if they'd still have that pesto chicken wrap by the time they got to me - but voila, on AA and DL I've not had a problem. DL has been particularly nice as the BOB is sandwiched in between the snack pack and another "treat" before landing (aka junk food). I do wonder if BOBlines so over-cater the items to ensure selection that the extra cost of "overcatering" is what tends to make the prices feel high to some?

On the other hand, was on a flight many months ago that was SUPPOSED to offer a free meal in both cabins, and while I received mine, the PA announcement came that they had run out of meals due to unexpected boardings, apologizing to those that didn't receive one. Personally I'd not be too upset, but I could hear some people in the back getting a bit bent out of shape. Guess they didn't have time to pull the catering truck back to the gate.

I rarely fly on other carriers where BOB is served and always wondered about it. Thank you.  Smile
You can't cure stupid

MAH4546

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:02 pm

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 11):

Well it sure as hell isnt continental!

Actually, in terms of destinations served, Continental is the largest U.S. airline in Asia. Continental serves more cities in Asia than any U.S. airline.
a.

breaker1011

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:07 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 22):
Actually, in terms of destinations served, Continental is the largest U.S. airline in Asia. Continental serves more cities in Asia than any U.S. airline.

To be fair, that holds water only if you can convince a business traveler to fly from EWR to HNL, change planes to GUM, then again change in GUM to get to Seoul - and all that without lengthy layovers in between. They do have quite a few cities in SE Asia but they aren't oriented well for travelers from the mainland USA. Then again - that's not the point of Air Mike to begin with the way I understand it.

If that's what they were trying to advertise against United, then I agree with a previous poster - that's somewhat deceptive advertising.

breaker1011

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:09 pm

PS - if they were just trying to make a statement about "NYC" to Asia then that's different - not sure in what market this advertisement was placed.

MAH4546

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:09 pm

Quoting Breaker1011 (Reply 23):
To be fair, that holds water only if you can convince a business traveler to fly from EWR to HNL, change planes to GUM, then again change in GUM to get to Seoul - and all that without lengthy layovers in between. They do have quite a few cities in SE Asia but they aren't oriented well for travelers from the mainland USA. Then again - that's not the point of Air Mike to begin with the way I understand it.

If that's what they were trying to advertise against United, then I agree with a previous poster - that's somewhat deceptive advertising.

It's not deceptive. It's the truth.

Deceptive would be, "We are the largest U.S. airline to Asia from the mainland United States." That's not what they say.
a.

breaker1011

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:16 pm

Not trying to debate really - but in the context of the poster you quoted, that "truth" can also be "deceptive" at the same time. The ad (I've not even seen the silly thing myself), if placed in say "USA Today" would be to imply in context to a traveler that CO will take you to more of Asia than anyone - but as a consumer if you act on that in my example above and do your shopping, you'll realize that while they can swing it, it ain't worth the time compared to someone like UA, AA, etc. So at that point, what was the real intention of the ad? To really try and convince someone to go IND-IAH-HNL-GUM-SEL, or to just make a statement against a competitor?

breaker1011

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:19 pm

Not trying to debate really - but in the context of the poster you quoted, that "truth" can also be "deceptive" at the same time. The ad (I've not even seen the silly thing myself), if placed in say "USA Today" would be to imply in context to a traveler that CO will take you to more of Asia than anyone - but as a consumer if you act on that in my example above and do your shopping, you'll realize that while they can swing it, it ain't worth the time compared to someone like UA, NW, etc. So at that point, what was the real intention of the ad? To really try and convince someone to go IND-IAH-HNL-GUM-SEL, or to just make a statement against a competitor?

MAH4546

RE: CO Ad In Today's New York Times Takes Aim At D

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:20 pm

Quoting Breaker1011 (Reply 26):
So at that point, what was the real intention of the ad? To really try and convince someone to go IND-IAH-HNL-GUM-SEL, or to just make a statement against a competitor?

I don't even think CO offers legal connections such as IND-ICN. The point, IMO, was to show CO's extensive network, regardless of what city it is served from. It can depend on the reader it's aimed at though, that's true. I don't think it's deceptive at all, but I guess somebody else might. When I hear "deceptive", though, I think of negative connotations, and I just don't CO did anything wrong by making such an advertisement. It's clever.

[Edited 2007-12-04 15:24:47]
a.

Mir

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:44 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 24):
It's not deceptive. It's the truth.

Deceptive would be, "We are the largest U.S. airline to Asia from the mainland United States."

No, that would be an outright lie. Saying that CO has the most destinations in Asia is deceptive, because even from LAX you have to take two connections to get to most of them, and I doubt they get very many US passengers on their GUM-Japan routes.

UA and NW will get you to more places in Asia with one stop from the mainland US.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

MAH4546

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:55 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 28):
No, that would be an outright lie. Saying that CO has the most destinations in Asia is deceptive, because even from LAX you have to take two connections to get to most of them, and I doubt they get very many US passengers on their GUM-Japan routes.

UA and NW will get you to more places in Asia with one stop from the mainland US.

It's not an outright lie. CO serves the most destinations in Asia, like it or not. There is an argument to made that it is deceptive as a matter of opinion, you cannot make an argument that CO does not serve the most cities in Asia over other U.S. carriers. They do.
a.

doug_or

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:21 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 29):
you cannot make an argument that CO does not serve the most cities in Asia over other U.S. carriers. They do.

He didn't.

he said

Quoting Mir (Reply 28):
Saying that CO has the most destinations in Asia is deceptive, because even from LAX you have to take two connections to get to most of them, and I doubt they get very many US passengers on their GUM-Japan routes.

... and I for one agree with him because their ad implies that they provide services they don't.

He did say that

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 24):
Deceptive would be, "We are the largest U.S. airline to Asia from the mainland United States."

would be an outright lie. And that is correct.
When in doubt, one B pump off

Mir

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:28 am

It's not an outright lie.

Saying that CO serves the most destinations in Asia from the mainland US would be an outright lie.

Saying that they serve the most destinations in Asia is not a lie, but it is deceptive.

you cannot make an argument that CO does not serve the most cities in Asia over other U.S. carriers.

Never tried to.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

atmx2000

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:01 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 16):

But not for friendly relations  Wink
ConcordeBoy is a twin supremacist!! He supports quadicide!!

wjcandee

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:33 am

Biggest. Better. Best.

Under the law, this kind of stuff is usually called "puffing", and it's generally hard to make any kind of claim that it's deceptive, unless it's really specifically descriptive.

Here, they probably justify their biggest claim by saying that, for folks in the area where the billboard sits, they serve more destinations in -- say -- France than their competitor.

USAirALB

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:37 am

I've seen advertising for CO like we serve europe with ___________________. United can't take you there.
E135/E140/E145/E70/E75/E90/CR2/CR7/CR9/717/732/733/734/735/73G/738/739/752/753/762/772/77W/319/320/321/333/343

tinpusher007

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:02 am

I think DL does a better marketing job of promoting itself rather than attacking CO. Alot of those CO ads are tacky and nothing more than a play on words.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

caljn

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:15 am

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 10):
Which airline is trying to cover up the inadequacies in their routemap? .... hint it isnt UA or DL and they are hubbed in EWR

UA and DL are hubbed in EWR?
Actually I believe you meant that perjoratively against CO and EWR. You must not live or travel throught the NY area.
EWR is clearly, without question, the best of the three major airports!

LGA is cramped and crowded. I am always reminded of Ellis Island at the turn of the last century.
JFK is a bunch of scattered buildings with seeming little planning...heaven help you if it's your first drive through and you're trying to meet someone!

CO's terminal C at EWR could be among the best terminals in the US.

sparkingwave

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:20 am

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 10):
They have one against United too thats like that

Yeah, but on CO you have to fly on all of CO's routes to actually get somewhere in Asia.

Last I heard, EWR was in New Jersey, NOT New York. CO flunked geography too.
Flights to the moon and all major space stations. At Pan Am, the sky is no longer the limit!

seabosdca

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:24 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 18):
21.36 mi control tower to control tower   , and lots of toll bridges and tunnels in between them.

Plus a little island that, last time I was there, had a few people and a little congestion on it.  Wink

Quoting Atmx2000 (Reply 32):
But not for friendly relations  

This is New York, buddy. "Friendly relations" means they don't slash the tires and steal equipment from each other's a/c. Big grin

letsgetwet

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:34 am

Quoting SparkingWave (Reply 37):
Yeah, but on CO you have to fly on all of CO's routes to actually get somewhere in Asia.

Continental has more non-stops to Asia from the largest market (NY Metro) in the US.

Last I heard, EWR was in New Jersey, NOT New York. .

This is a good thing!

caljn

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:36 am

Sticks and stones funny man...
CO and EWR still the best for travelers in and around NY.

tpaewr

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:17 am

You can see the Empire State Building from EWR's tarmac, yet it isn't NYC. Surely then CDG isn't really Paris since you certainly cannot see the Eiffel Tower from there!

As it turns out much of EWR isn't even in Newark! But sits in Elizabeth, NJ !! My, my, where will CO's deception end?

Oh speaking of non-stops to Asia, from an airport in eye sight of downtown NYC CO offers non-stop service to NRT,PEK,HKG,DEL,BOM, and (technically speaking,since you people LOVE spiltting hairs) TLV. That is 6. How many does UA have from NYC now that they pulled NRT?

Please now folks, tell me, what airline offers the most non-stop flight to Asia from the NYC area?

(hint it ain't UA)

[Edited 2007-12-04 21:20:52]

justlump

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:18 am

Yes, Newark is not actually within the confines of New York City. But everyone on this forum recognizes that EWR is a NYC airport. Using your logic, Dulles is not actually in Washington D.C., CDG is not actually in Paris, and LGW is definitely not in London. I don't think CO needs any help in the geography department. You guys can bust on them all you want, but many on this forum consider CO to be the best American airline. The provide a great product AND they make money!

SOBHI51

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:35 am

Was in NY a couple of weeks ago and saw a lot of taxi's (cabs) with the following advertising from CO.This taxi can not take you to India (or on others to China) neither AA.I don't know if this is true but found it funny.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

wjcandee

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:48 am

Last I heard, EWR was in New Jersey, NOT New York.

That's similar to a famous quote from Mayor LaGuardia, actually.

But the fact remains that on most days, it's faster or just as fast to downtown Manhattan from EWR as it is from LGA. And the rail connection to Midtown is pretty darn easy.

ConcordeBoy

Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:07 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 28):
Saying that CO has the most destinations in Asia is deceptive, because even from LAX you have to take two connections to get to most of them

The number of connections one need make has no bearing on the fact that CO does indeed offer the most destinations in Asia by a USA carrier.

Quoting Caljn (Reply 36):
UA and DL are hubbed in EWR?

Read it again, the "they" he speaks of is the 'mystery' airline in question-- not DL/UA

You'd be a fool to bring up this trite and pathetic argument:
EWR is controlled by the joint auspices of the PANYNJ; and the DOT, ICAO, and IATA all recognize it as equal to JFK and LGA as a New York City Metropolitan Area coterminal with all domestic and international rights/privileges thereof.

In summary: their opinion matters, yours doesn't, get used to it-- the airport's an NYC airfield despite not being in that city proper's geopolitical limit. Just like CDG is to Paris. Just like CVG is to Cincinnati. Just like AMS is to Amsterdam. Just like LGW is to London. Just like............
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

tommy767

Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:44 am

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 7):

I saw another one last week on a cabby when i was in NYC that said "Guess who flies NY non-stop to Milan? HINT: It ain't American" And then I thought to myself, isn't AA starting up JFK-Milan in Spring 2008? CO has some balls saying that.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

hnl-jack

Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:16 am

It's not an outright lie. CO serves the most destinations in Asia, like it or not. There is an argument to made that it is deceptive as a matter of opinion, you cannot make an argument that CO does not serve the most cities in Asia over other U.S. carriers. They do.

Indeed Continental does serve more destinations in Asia as long as you're going through their GUM hub. Not likely if you're living on the mainland US.

tpaewr

Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:40 am

Quoting HNL-Jack (Reply 47):
Indeed Continental does serve more destinations in Asia as long as you're going through their GUM hub. Not likely if you're living on the mainland US.

What city do these ads run in?

Who flys to the most Asian cities (non-stop) from that city?

What is the problem?

CO isn't making these claims in LAX,ORD,SFO or anyplace other than NYC......where they are fact!

Why don't you guys on the GUM squad come back when CO puts these ads on taxis in the Bay area!

[Edited 2007-12-04 23:43:02]

BR715-A1-30

Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:22 am

Here is the way I see it...

When you check into a hotel: If u wanna eat, its ur dime...
When you drive to your destination: If u wanna eat, its ur dime

So why expect free meals on airlines. Sure, it cuts costs, but also look at it like this

It saves weight, time, money, labor, and above all, see above... Costs..

Quoting Breaker1011 (Reply 5):
I'd have very happily tossed the "free meal" back to the FA, along with my $9, in trade for an AA/DL BOB sandwich or salad.

AMEN!!!

To me, the free meals look like they were distributed once, then before the passengers deplaned, were ordered to spit it back up for the next customer..  Angry
Puhdiddle