beefer

Red Baron Pizza Shutting Down Air Performance Team

Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:48 pm

After 28 years of formation air show performances, the Schwan Food Co. in Marshall, Minn., is grounding its Red Baron Pizza Squadron of open-cockpit biplanes for good. The aircraft are fully restored Boeing Stearman biplanes, with open cockpits, built between 1941 and 1943.

Over the 28 years, the squadron has performed at more than 2,000 shows, flown more than 80,000 passengers and traveled more than 6 million miles. The retirement takes effect in January.

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1591540.html

KELPkid

RE: Red Baron Pizza Shutting Down Air Performance Team

Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:54 pm

Quote:

Bill McCormack, executive vice president, said in a statement released Monday. "The retail grocery industry has experienced considerable change over the past few years. And, as a result, we have decided to refocus our Red Baron marketing program and to discontinue the Red Baron Squadron."

Meaning what, it doesn't matter a hill of beans to Wal-Mart?

Bummer, the Red Baron Squardon will be missed at local airshows all across the USA...  Sad

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Daniel Piotrowski

Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

beefer

Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:03 pm

I've been searching Google and can't find anything but I could swear that there was a crash within the last couple of years which killed two of the pilots. Anybody remember anything like that???

Maybe the Insurance and Liability issues are getting to be more than Schwan's is willing to endure.

Also, anybody been to the Museum they have in Marshall, MN at the Airport. It looks interesting and even though I only live about 90 miles away I haven't been there yet. Here's a link: http://www.redbaron.com/museum/index.cfm

sunking737

Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:04 pm

Another sad day for aviation. These planes will be missed..............
Just an MSPAVGEEK

bravogolf

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:45 am

Quoting Beefer (Reply 2):
've been searching Google and can't find anything but I could swear that there was a crash within the last couple of years which killed two of the pilots. Anybody remember anything like that???

It happened during a training flight in Florida.

Slcpilot

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:54 am

Red Baron tragedy
Air Classics, Jul 1998
On 19 April 1998, at about 1124 eastern daylight time, N806RB, a Boeing A-75N1, and N802RB, also a Boeing A-75N1, both registered to Schwan's Sales Enterprises Inc., doing business as Red Baron Stearman Squadron, were involved in a midair collision while maneuvering during a 14 CFR Part 91 aerobatic flight in the vicinity of Kissimmee Municipal Airport, Kissimmee, Florida. Visual meteorolgical conditions prevailed and no flight plan was filed. Both airplanes were destroyed by a postcrash fire. The airline transport pilot and commercial pilot were fatally injured.
I don't like to be fueled by anger, I don't like to be fooled by lust...

beefer

Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:37 pm

Quoting SLCPilot (Reply 5):
Red Baron tragedy
Air Classics, Jul 1998
On 19 April 1998, at about 1124 eastern daylight time, N806RB, a Boeing A-75N1, and N802RB, also a Boeing A-75N1, both registered to Schwan's Sales Enterprises Inc., doing business as Red Baron Stearman Squadron, were involved in a midair collision while maneuvering during a 14 CFR Part 91 aerobatic flight in the vicinity of Kissimmee Municipal Airport, Kissimmee, Florida. Visual meteorolgical conditions prevailed and no flight plan was filed. Both airplanes were destroyed by a postcrash fire. The airline transport pilot and commercial pilot were fatally injured.

Yes, I did find that accident when I searched on Google.

However, that accident was almost ten years ago and I am still thinking there was an accident within the last couple of years. I am now wondering if maybe one of the Pilots for the squadron died in an Aviation accident which was not related to the Red Baron Squadron. Like maybe they were flying a personal Airplane or something.

Or, I may just be losing my mind...........

luisca

Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:59 pm

Maybe red baron pizza is not ding that well anymore, I mean its cardboard with tomato sauce, Di giornos and other self rising pizzas are dominating the market these days from what I understand.
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

arffguy

Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:45 am

Actually, I just had a Schwan's pizza the the other day. My buddy got hired as a driver and he made one for lunch. For a frozen pizza it was really good. I'm really annoyed that the team will be gone. I got to ride with them once. I never liked Stearman's until that ride. Now I want one.
Time to spare, go by air.

jetblueguy22

Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:42 pm

This is too bad. I would see them often whenever I went to an airshow. They were some of the best I have ever seen. I suppose with rising fuel prices and constantly trying to keep the planes in tip top shape really cost a lot. They will be missed!
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

L-188

Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:45 pm

I've been searching Google and can't find anything but I could swear that there was a crash within the last couple of years which killed two of the pilots. Anybody remember anything like that???

Yeah that happened about 6 months after I got to see them perform......It was a great show.

Maybe the Insurance and Liability issues are getting to be more than Schwan's is willing to endure

Wouldn't surprise me.

Quoting Sunking737 (Reply 3):
Another sad day for aviation. These planes will be missed..............

Agreed!
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

N231YE

Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:50 pm

Oh well  frown ...another chapter in aviation legends has reached a close. They will be missed.

jetblueguy22

Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:52 pm

I wonder if maybe someone else will buy the planes and do airshows like the Red Baron team. Maybe they can get the same pilots together and find a new sponsor! That would be nice. It would be better than see them scrapped.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos