cylw

Former US F100 Being Chewed Up At YYC

Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:00 pm

As I write this, the aircraft in the pic linked below is being chewed up into little pieces and put into the back of a truck for destinations unknown. They cut the horizontal stab off a few weeks ago, and now it's finally being scrapped. Don't have my camera, so I couldn't take any pictures, but it's kinda neat to watch (or sad if you like F100s).

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1232513/M/

RicciPettit

RE: Former US F100 Being Chewed Up At YYC

Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:12 pm

Is that an Emirates aircraft tail poking in the side of the picture?
Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either!

LHRBlueSkies

Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:13 pm

It's a shame, 'cos the Fokkers still 'look' like a new design a/c....always a sad way for an aircraft to go...
flying is the safest form of transport - until humans get involved!

cylw

Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:21 pm

Quoting RicciPettit (Reply 1):
Is that an Emirates aircraft tail poking in the side of the picture?

No, I believe thats a Jetstream that belongs to a company called Corporate Express here in YYC.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0994527/M/

davidlc3

Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:34 pm

Very short lived a/c - they joined the fleet around 1990 - 1991 and were parked after 9/11 - what's that, 10 years?

At JI the F100 burned through engines like there was no tomorrow. And at US, when brand new, they had a fun little pressurization problem that, if the front cabin door was opened before the cargo bin, bad things happened.

scrumpy492003

Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:58 am

WHY didn't they donate it to S.A.I.T. AEROSPACE SCHOOL, just up the taxiway?

Unless it was offered and turned down!

Peter
peter b95 c-ghfu

AMSSFO

Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:07 am

It's sad to see a Fokker 100 chewed up. A short tribute to this particular one is appropriate.

N855US/11283 was delivered to US Air in December 1989. It has flown for US Air/ US Airways for a little more than 12 years.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Greg Drawbaugh
View Large View Medium

Photo © Gregg Stansbery

It arrived at MHV for storage in April 2002. In June 2003 it started to roam about the world, but somehow didn't get into active service again. It was ferried into AMS apparently destined for Germania, but in September 2004 it returned to the Americas, still in US c/s. It it was bought by Aravco and ended up at YYC. It would have been part of the fleet of Platinum Jet an Business class only airline that did not really fly. It never left YYC after that.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andy Graf - VAP

In October 2004, an unknown Fokker 100 was noted at YYC in a terrible state. I' ve always thought this had been N855US, but the latest pic from April 2007 shows it in a much better state:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kevin Wachter
View Large View Medium

Photo © Kevin Wachter

richierich

Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:22 pm

Quoting AMSSFO (Reply 6):
In October 2004, an unknown Fokker 100 was noted at YYC in a terrible state. I' ve always thought this had been N855US, but the latest pic from April 2007 shows it in a much better state:

Wow - those pictures are of a seriously-bad looking F100!
The sad truth is that US Airways has active planes in their fleet that don't look a whole lot better than this Fokker (although they all have a tail and empannage, AFAIK!) I flew on a US 734 last year that was missing a considerable amount of paint and was very - ummm - well worn, let's say. Inside it was pretty beaten up too. Most importantly, it was probably mechanically sound though as I got to my destination intact and I haven't heard of their planes falling from the sky recently. It's too bad the Fokkers didn't have better longevity but that's the way it goes. I wonder how long some of the newer planes (i.e., E170) will last in heavy daily use....
None shall pass!!!!

trintocan

Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:01 pm

It's so sad to see the F100 fleet decline like that - they are not very old planes at all! Pretty soon we will have to rush out to specifically fly on the type as we do nowadays for, say DC-10s and TriStars. A big shame that Fokker could not have lasted a bit longer.

Farewell to this unfortunate bird.

TrinToCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

czbbflier

Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:40 pm

Quoting Davidlc3 (Reply 4):
And at US, when brand new, they had a fun little pressurization problem that, if the front cabin door was opened before the cargo bin, bad things happened.

Bad things, like what?