mozart

Air Tahiti "small Islands" Network

Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:55 pm

I just checked Air Tahiti's network here and I noticed some islands that are marked "small islands network". Indeed for at least one of them I checked (Reao) there was no schedule.

What is the significance of the "small islands network"? Are these islands served by Air Tahiti, but only on a charter basis? Or how does this network function?

Thanks!

teva

RE: Air Tahiti "small Islands" Network

Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:44 am

When I was there (before the internet .... Yes,I know.... I'm getting old....) I remember some islands were served once every 2 weeks, or once a month.
Those flights are for the local people, and are probably subsidized by the local government. That's maybe what they call the small islands network. And they probably don't put it on the net due to the very low frequency.
Can anyone confirm?
Teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

jetsetter629

Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:26 am

I love that maps. Shows the pure size of French Polynesia!!!

PS: Talk about some islands being isolated!!!

[Edited 2007-12-09 21:26:55]

icna05e

Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:24 pm

Quoting Teva (Reply 1):
probably subsidized by the local government.

I would say so. "small islands network " seems to be the translation of the French "réseau de désenclavement". It must be comparable to what is done in France or even in the US with the essential air services. Albeit with a (very) reduced frequency!

mozart

Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:43 pm

I agree.

Although what is done in metropolitan France is that although subsidies are given, there is a schedule.

Possibly there is one around these islands, too, I just couldn't find one anywhere.

I was specifically wondering about flights to/from Reao. The airport seems to be big enough to handle ATRs, but then I just wouldn't know which route they're flying.