Jerseyguy

7 Years Still 1 Flight JFK-SLC On B6: Why?

Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:35 pm

Its been 7 years since Jetblue started flying from JFK to Salt Lake and the return is still a redeye, Why? I go to this conference in SLC every year and for me the redeye is horrible because I can't sleep on planes. For the past 2 years, I've been having to do SLC-DEN on Frontier overnight in DEN and DEN-JFK on Jetblue in the morning. (I overnight because I don't want to risk a misconnect)

JetBlue To Launch Service Between JFK & Salt Lake (by Pilot1113 Sep 6 2000 in Civil Aviation)

[Edited 2007-12-09 14:37:24]
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

AirTranTUS

RE: 7 Years Still 1 Flight JFK-SLC On B6: Why?

Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:05 pm

DL has multiple flights to JFK from SLC that limit B6's chances of having more than one successful flight. Speaking of which, you could take one of DL's daytime flights, problem solved. No need to limit yourself to one carrier.
I love ASO!

SLCUT2777

Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:22 pm

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 1):
DL has multiple flights to JFK from SLC

4x to be specific; 1003 @0650 (752), 155 @1500 (738), 85 @1640 (752) & 1581 @1915 (73H). Much more of a real option than B6.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

Jerseyguy

Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:31 pm

Speaking of which, you could take one of DL's daytime flights, problem solved. No need to limit yourself to one carrier.

Yeah, pretty much I have to, being tall, I need the extra legroom. I realize that Delta's new long haul has 33" inches of legroom which is the lower end of what is comfortable based on my experiences with Frontier but the front of the aircraft only has 31" If I were to loose my seat assignment, it would be a pretty long 5 hours back to JFK. On Jetblue I'm guaranteed 34" and may even have 36" inches. Being that first class is not in my future, I pretty much have to stick with Jetblue.

I figured Delta had something to do with it, though I wish they (B6) would change the return flight something other than 11pm departure, but with the prospect of slot control at JFK, that isn't too likely

As for SLCs comment on DL being the only "real" option, while the timing is nice, but the legroom is not. So for me B6 is the only "real" option.

[Edited 2007-12-09 15:36:22]

JetBlueAUS

Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:38 pm

Quoting JerseyGuy (Thread starter):
, Why? I go to this conference in SLC every year and for me the redeye is horrible because I can't sleep on planes.

Hey man, just to let you know... So you don't have to overnight in DEN, JetBlue has a SLC-LGB-JFK itinerary this gets you there all in the same day. You leave SLC at 6:05AM and get to LGB at 7:05AM. Then you change planes in LGB at 8:55AM and then get to JFK at 5:08PM. I know that the times might not be desirable, but it helps that you don't have to overnight in DEN. Just thought I would let you know.
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

Evan767

Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:45 pm

Quoting JerseyGuy (Reply 3):

Are you a frequent flier? If you are a frequent flier you can switch your program to Delta's, become a medallion, then get complimentary upgrades...
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

Jerseyguy

Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:31 am

Quoting JetBlueAUS (Reply 4):
Hey man, just to let you know... So you don't have to overnight in DEN, JetBlue has a SLC-LGB-JFK itinerary this gets you there all in the same day. You leave SLC at 6:05AM and get to LGB at 7:05AM. Then you change planes in LGB at 8:55AM and then get to JFK at 5:08PM. I know that the times might not be desirable, but it helps that you don't have to overnight in DEN. Just thought I would let you know.

Thanks, I am already aware of that, I've considered that option but this way is less time flying and the times are better.

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 5):
Are you a frequent flier? If you are a frequent flier you can switch your program to Delta's, become a medallion, then get complimentary upgrades...

Nope, Not a frequent flyer.

Aeroflot777

Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:40 am

Quoting JerseyGuy (Reply 6):
Nope, Not a frequent flyer.

Then you don't really need to limit yourself to one carrier. One flight to SLC a year is fine. An inch or two won't hurt. Jetblue has trouble with more than one route from JFK because of DL. Maybe in the future we will see another flight, if they can handle it. There are many carriers that can give you a better time schedule. A 4 hour flight with a difference of 2 inches of room once a year is fine.

Aeroflot777

Jerseyguy

Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:57 am

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 7):
Then you don't really need to limit yourself to one carrier. One flight to SLC a year is fine. An inch or two won't hurt. Jetblue has trouble with more than one route from JFK because of DL. Maybe in the future we will see another flight, if they can handle it. There are many carriers that can give you a better time schedule. A 4 hour flight with a difference of 2 inches of room once a year is fine.

Maybe for you legroom isn't a factor, but for me it is.

[Edited 2007-12-09 17:14:38]

Mike89406

Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:09 am

Quoting JerseyGuy (Reply 3):
Speaking of which, you could take one of DL's daytime flights, problem solved. No need to limit yourself to one carrier.

Yeah, pretty much I have to, being tall, I need the extra legroom. I realize that Delta's new long haul has 33" inches of legroom which is the lower end of what is comfortable based on my experiences with Frontier but the front of the aircraft only has 31" If I were to loose my seat assignment, it would be a pretty long 5 hours back to JFK. On Jetblue I'm guaranteed 34" and may even have 36" inches. Being that first class is not in my future, I pretty much have to stick with Jetblue.

I figured Delta had something to do with it, though I wish they (B6) would change the return flight something other than 11pm departure, but with the prospect of slot control at JFK, that isn't too likely

As for SLCs comment on DL being the only "real" option, while the timing is nice, but the legroom is not. So for me B6 is the only "real" option.

I'm 6'3" and I did fine with 33" but that just me. DL's 752 was comfortable with the new leather seats thats my main problem is if the seats not comfortable then the rest dont matter. But for you maybe seat pitch is that important. Of course you may not be guaranteed the 36" seats on B6 keep that in mind. Another idea and I've done this one is to get a exit row seat with no seat in front of you all the legroom you can handle.

The moral of the story for me a inch or two of seat pitch I dont even notice and I have long legs.

BTW here's a comparisen of different carriers. http://www.seatguru.com/charts/domestic_economy.php

[Edited 2007-12-09 17:19:11]

Bicoastal

Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:13 am

Stop drinking the JetBlue Koolaid. There's more than one airline out there. You have a choice of airlines, make a better choice than JetBlue for your annual trip. If an airline can't get you there at a convenient time, look for another airline. It may be a few bucks extra, but isn't your time worth it??? Spending money on a hotel room in Denver!? That's a friggin' waste of money. Fly to IAD or ORD and take United's Economy Plus (ExPlus on its RJs)....lots of legroom....to SLC. In my mind, you're being silly.
[Edited 2007-12-09 17:19:38]

[Edited 2007-12-09 17:24:14]
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

seabosdca

Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:24 am

I'm 5'9" so maybe I don't understand... but I can't usually sleep on planes either, and I'd *way* rather have a little less room and use a daylight flight. Plus, the one thing the legacies really have going for them is that their frequent flyer programs are much better. If I were you I'd switch to DL.

If you get yourself FF status, you'll get upgrades from time to time. Failing that, you'll be able to get bulkheads, exit rows, or any other seats where there happens to be a little more room. I'm MVP -- not even MVPG! -- on AS and I haven't sat anywhere but F or a bulkhead row in years.

Jerseyguy

Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:25 am

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 9):
I'm 6'3" and I did fine with 33" but that just me. DL's 752 was comfortable with the new leather seats thats my main problem is if the seats not comfortable then the rest dont matter. But for you maybe seat pitch is that important. Of course you may not be guaranteed the 36" seats on B6 keep that in mind. Another idea and I've done this one is to get a exit row seat with no seat in front of you all the legroom you can handle.

Yeah 33" inches is fine, anything less than that is uncomfortable for me. So, I worry about losing my seat assignment in the back and having less or if my plane is replaced by another plane without the extra legroom.

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 10):
Stop drinking the JetBlue Koolaid. There's more than one airline out there. You have a choice of airlines, make a better choice than JetBlue for your annual trip. If an airline can't get you there at a convenient time, look for another airline. It may be a few bucks extra, but isn't your time worth it???

I have looked for another airline, none of them can guarantee me enough legroom to be comfortable other than Jetblue. I guess Delta can offer me a reasonable chance that I will get enough legroom, so I will consider trying them for the SLC-JFK portion of my trip this year. But I have till September so maybe by then Jetblue will offer me another flight.

Bicoastal

Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:33 am

Give me a break. Lots of tall people fly other airlines. I'm 6'2". It's only a 4 hour flight. You'll live. Try United and pay for Economy Plus with a more convenient schedule. When it's all said and done, it's just an airplane ride. Get over it.

Quoting JerseyGuy (Reply 12):
I worry about losing my seat assignment in the back and having less or if my plane is replaced by another plane without the extra legroom

Worry about Hillary becoming President or the Mets' chances for next year, but this concern of yours, is, well, manic.  Wink
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

Jerseyguy

Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:35 am

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 10):
Spending money on a hotel room in Denver!? That's a friggin' waste of money. Fly to IAD or ORD and take United's Economy Plus (ExPlus on its RJs)....lots of legroom....to SLC. In my mind, you're being silly.

Yeah, I could fork over $349 for a years worth of economy plus access, so I don't have to pay $50 bucks for a priceline room at DEN. If I were a frequent flyer, I would definately look into that, but being that I only fly 2-3 times a year tops and I don't always have to get a room, I think this is a better deal.

Jerseyguy

Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:40 am

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 13):
Worry about Hillary becoming President or the Mets' chances for next year

Actually, I do worry about those things.

Bicoastal (Reply 13):
Its just an airplane ride

I guess when you don't have the Jetblue expierence it is just another plane ride  Big grin

[Edited 2007-12-09 17:43:43]

Bicoastal

Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:42 am

Quoting JerseyGuy (Reply 14):
Yeah, I could fork over $349 for a years worth of economy plus access

You don't have to buy a year's worth. You can buy per flight and even per leg. For a flight from JFK, it'll only cost you about $40 bucks or less for Economy Plus.

sxf24

Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:48 am

You're willing to overnight in DEN but not buy a first class ticket?

Bicoastal

Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:49 am

Quoting JerseyGuy (Reply 15):
I guess when you don't have the Jetblue expierence it is just another plane ride

Yes, I read books and can't stand the boob-tube/PTV!
 Big grin

Jerseyguy

Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:49 am

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 16):
You don't have to buy a year's worth. You can buy per flight and even per leg. For a flight from JFK, it'll only cost you about $40 bucks or less for Economy Plus.

Yeah, but I can only purchase it at Check-in after all the elites who didn't get their first class upgrades get it then who knows if it will be available, and did I mention I'm overweight, not POS overwieght but enough so middle seats are extra uncomfortable to me.

Bicoastal

Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:54 am

Quoting JerseyGuy (Reply 19):
Yeah, but I can only purchase it at Check-in after all the elites who didn't get their first class upgrades get it then who knows if it will be available, and did I mention I'm overweight, not POS overwieght but enough so middle seats are extra uncomfortable to me.

Ok, that's it. If you are so hell bent on flying Jet Blue, why'd you even start this thread? Have a great flight and hotel stay in Denver.
 Confused  Confused

Jerseyguy

Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:01 am

Quoting Sxf24 (Reply 17):
You're willing to overnight in DEN but not buy a first class ticket?

Yep, I would rather spend $550 ($350 on the ticket, $100 for the hotel in DEN and $75-100 on the SLC-DEN ticket) then $1500 for a first class seat. The extra day off doesn't cost me anything because I never use up all my vacation days.

AA767LOVER

Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:05 am

Quoting JetBlueAUS (Reply 4):

Sounds like a more feasible option for the OP economics-wise. Why spend the extra money flying on another carrier, and run hotel charge overnight, when you can do a same day? Is that not more sensible for the bucks?

I guess it depends whether the OP has priority set on schedule or price. If he doesn't mind paying the extra, by all means, but for the price, why incur more charges? My 2 cents.
J.I. Tsui, American Advantage Member, United Mileage Plus (Premier)

sxf24

Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:14 am

Quoting JerseyGuy (Reply 21):
Yep, I would rather spend $550 ($350 on the ticket, $100 for the hotel in DEN and $75-100 on the SLC-DEN ticket) then $1500 for a first class seat. The extra day off doesn't cost me anything because I never use up all my vacation days.

Well, if you can find that great of a hotel deal it make sense to you. I guess I'd prefer to pick up an exit row on a non-stop or online connection.

Evan767

Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:19 am

Hold the phone. How tall are you in the first place?

Mike89406

Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:26 am

There are a few DL 777 flights JFK-ATL then connect ATL-SLC on a 767 the 767's are usually roomy despite what the seat pitch lists try booking early and better choice. ALso I booked my flight last year in Feb for a July flight they never took my seat assignment away and I checked the reservation regularly before travel to ensure I keep the same seat. And try sitting up front in economy you can usually get the seats behind the bulkhead of the lavaratories separarting biz class and economy with plenty of legroom. (Rows 16 & 17 on the 767) or (Rows 30 & 31 on the 777)

[Edited 2007-12-09 19:02:24]

JetBlueAUS

Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:30 am

While, JetBlue is my carrier of choice I think you should give Delta a try. Try and get a safety exit row on a 757-200, and I'm sure you'll have a lot of legroom. They should have PTV's too. In the end, do what you want to do... However, I know if I was in your case, I would probably choose JetBlue (even the redeye  Wink)!
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

Jerseyguy

Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:53 am

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 24):
Hold the phone. How tall are you in the first place?

6'4

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 20):
Ok, that's it. If you are so hell bent on flying Jet Blue, why'd you even start this thread? Have a great flight and hotel stay in Denver.

Hey all I wanted to know is why Jetblue didn't have more than 1 flight in 7 years. I wasn't asking about what I should do about it.

Quoting AA767LOVER (Reply 22):
Sounds like a more feasible option for the OP economics-wise. Why spend the extra money flying on another carrier, and run hotel charge overnight, when you can do a same day? Is that not more sensible for the bucks?

Well, I would be staying overnight in SLC anyway being that the conference is over around 3pm and its 45 minutes away from SLC, so in order to take the 605am flight it would have to be 605am the next day.

Quoting JetBlueAUS (Reply 26):
While, JetBlue is my carrier of choice I think you should give Delta a try. Try and get a safety exit row on a 757-200, and I'm sure you'll have a lot of legroom. They should have PTV's too. In the end, do what you want to do... However, I know if I was in your case, I would probably choose JetBlue (even the redeye )!

Ok, I'll try DL, but if I end up losing my seat assignment and end up with a 31" inch pitch, I'm coming to Austin to kick your ass. Of course, I'll be flying Jetblue and being that JFK-AUS is on an E190, I'll have to wait till I can confirm an exit row as the 190 is 32" pitch  Big grin

surfpunk

Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:40 am

I would have to suggest that since DL has a hub/focus city at both ends of your trip, and can feed much more traffic to their flights, one-a-day is about all that JetBlue can muster, economically. I could see DL putting the screws to B6, NW-style, if B6 increased frequencies on the JFK-SLC run. On the other hand, if that coincided with one of your conferences, you could take advantage of a short-lived fare war.

LGAtoIND

Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:04 am

I have said on here several times that I think *in the winter* a daylight JFK-SLC flight would do quite well for JetBlue. There is lots of very high yielding ski traffic going from NYC (also the Northeast in general) to SLC. Even if it didn't operate every day, no one can tell me that this flight would not be a slam dunk on the weekends. Furthermore, a 2X daily option would open the flight up to more business travellers, who do not like to be tied down to only the redeye flight.

xjramper

Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:34 am

Quoting JerseyGuy (Reply 8):

Maybe for you legroom isn't a factor, but for me it is.

I didn't bother reading the rest of the thread to see how tall you are (if you said it) but I am 6'7" and have no problem whatsoever on DL with leg room and I fly them a lot. Well, let me rephrase that, I have no more problem on DL with legroom than I do with any other carrier.

But I stray off topic. Slot control does have a lot do with the reasoning why there aren't more SLC flights into JFK. While that surprises me that they have only one flight to a city where B6 employs folks, it doesn't surprise me that they won't be able to add to the mix, especially if the FAA and the government in general has its way with controlling the amount of traffic into the NYC area.

There may be a customer service comment place on their website. Have you tried shooting them an email asking them why? they are usually pretty honest when it comes to answering customer service emails.

Happy holidays....XJR
Look ma' no hands!

SpencerII

Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:17 pm

Quoting JerseyGuy (Reply 15):
guess when you don't have the Jetblue expierence it is just another plane ride

So if you're so content with B6, then why question their scheduling etc. Byt he wya they have a less than stellar revenue load factor on their to/from SLC JFK flights, so don't expect anyting additonal very soon.

BooDog

Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:46 pm

Quoting XJRamper (Reply 30):
didn't bother reading the rest of the thread to see how tall you are (if you said it) but I am 6'7" and have no problem whatsoever on DL with leg room and I fly them a lot. Well, let me rephrase that, I have no more problem on DL with legroom than I do with any other carrier.

When you hit the 6'4" and above area (I'm 6'5") then you know as well as JerseyGuy and I do that every single freakin' inch of legroom is a HUGE factor on long flights.

I always get an aisle seat on airplanes so I can "breathe a knee" into aisle space.

I assume you fall into one or more of the categories listed below;

You've never flown B6.

You're all torso.

You never fly coach.

You fly on less popular routes. (You've never sat in a middle seat with both sides occupied.)

You have a broken tape measure.
B1B - best looking aircraft ever.

incitatus

Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:21 pm

There is just not a lot of traffic in Salt Lake City and Delta gets the bulk of what is there.

Looking at US metro areas with similarly sized economies, I'd say when it comes to air service Salt Lake is lucky to have what it has and being able to maintain Jet Blue. Similar sized economies are Memphis, Jacksonville, Louisville and Birmingham.
Stop pop up ads

N270FT

Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:53 pm

Its a good job that you're not in Europe. 31'' is the standard here and thats only the legacies!! We don't have LCC's like B6

AW

jetbluefan1

Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:56 pm

Is there any chance you can do a SLC-SFO/SAN/BUR-JFK run?

With SLC growing as a B6 station, I think there is a chance for a daytime JFK flight. SLC-LGB, btw, picked up a third frequency on Saturdays only.

JetBluefan1

Jerseyguy

Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:11 am

Quoting SpencerII (Reply 31):
So if you're so content with B6, then why question their scheduling etc.

First off, the whole Jetblue experience comment was a joke, and secondly, besides there schedule into SLC, I love B6

Quoting N270ft (Reply 34):
Its a good job that you're not in Europe. 31'' is the standard here and thats only the legacies!! We don't have LCC's like B6

And thats one reason I hate Ryan Air or their USA equivilant Skybus

Jerseyguy

Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:56 am

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 35):
SLC-LGB, btw, picked up a third frequency on Saturdays only.

I just looked at that one and that would be perfect (ok a nonstop SLC-JFK daytime would be perfect) for me if they extended it to 7 days a week. .

[Edited 2007-12-10 19:07:15]

jetbluefan1

Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:44 am

Quoting JerseyGuy (Reply 37):
I just looked at that one and that would be perfect (ok a nonstop SLC-JFK daytime would be perfect) for me if they extended it to 7 days a week. .

Maybe they will if the Saturday-only flight does well. LGB-SLC has always been a good performer, so this could likely happen.

JetBluefan1

AlexPorter

Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:33 am

The extra day off doesn't cost me anything because I never use up all my vacation days.

Hmm, I know you can't sleep on planes, but couldn't you take the red-eye anyway, watch the IFE, and take the next day off to sleep? If you stay overnight in Denver you take that day off anyway. I suppose maybe if you are strict about when you sleep then it wouldn't work well...

Alternately, why not take different one-stop options? While SLC-JFK in 32" may be uncomfortable for you, what about something like SLC-MSP-NYC or something like that? If you're worried about misconnects, if you take a longer layover, you still avoid the overnight stop and plus you get to stretch out and walk around for a while, so that might be more comfortable than the non-stop.

At any rate, B6 is likely not aiming for the business traveler on the SLC route, because most of the businesses there will use DL for the frequencies, upgrades, and international network. Leisure travelers don't mind red-eyes if they are cheaper, so that's one of the reasons B6 has only kept the one flight.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

dc-9-10

Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:28 am

OK I will give my ideas on the actual question asked. I am guessing the market between NYC and SLC is not exactly bursting at the moment. I mean can you honestly see a person from NYC going "I really need to get to Salt Lake" or a person in Salt Lake going "New York City is the place to be!" Maybe it is just me but I don't see it. Each city does not offer much to the other that would create the amount of demand needed (tourism, business, VFR traffic, culturally, etc.) for JetBlue to expand services. JetBlue would have to rely on a lot of O&D traffic on both ends to make the route work, Delta on the other hand is able to wrap up any O&D traffic with the sheer number of flights they are able to offer because of the connection possibilities on both ends that would make up for the lack of O&D in the market.

fanoftristars

Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:39 pm

Quoting Dc-9-10 (Reply 40):
I mean can you honestly see a person from NYC going "I really need to get to Salt Lake" or a person in Salt Lake going "New York City is the place to be!"

Huh???

Delta on the other hand is able to wrap up any O&D traffic with the sheer number of flights they are able to offer because of the connection possibilities on both ends that would make up for the lack of O&D in the market.

Don't forget DL also has two fights a day to Newark, so six total to NYC from SLC.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

LGAtoIND

Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:29 pm

I mean can you honestly see a person from NYC going "I really need to get to Salt Lake"

Yes, during ski season plenty of New Yorkers say this.

or a person in Salt Lake going "New York City is the place to be!"

Yes, NYC is only the financial capital of the world.

DAL767400ER

Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:31 pm

I mean can you honestly see a person from NYC going "I really need to get to Salt Lake" or a person in Salt Lake going "New York City is the place to be!" Maybe it is just me but I don't see it. Each city does not offer much to the other that would create the amount of demand needed (tourism, business, VFR traffic, culturally, etc.) for JetBlue to expand services.

Umm, yeah sure, I mean we all know that folks in Salt Lake City would never consider visiting such unimportant things like the Statue of Liberty, Central Park or the Empire State Building, or enjoying the overall flair of NYC, nope, never  Yeah sure .

Are you actually trying to be serious with that comment?!?

SpencerII

Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:05 pm

I mean can you honestly see a person from NYC going "I really need to get to Salt Lake" or a person in Salt Lake going "New York City is the place to be!" Maybe it is just me but I don't see it. Each city does not offer much to the other that would create the amount of demand needed (tourism, business, VFR traffic, culturally, etc.) for JetBlue to expand services

iT'S JUST YOU! How often do you get out of Grand Forks ND?

dc-9-10

Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:34 pm

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 43):
Umm, yeah sure, I mean we all know that folks in Salt Lake City would never consider visiting such unimportant things like the Statue of Liberty, Central Park or the Empire State Building, or enjoying the overall flair of NYC, nope, never .

I am kidding and also serious in a way, I am not saying the demand is 0, instead I am saying the demand between SLC and NYC is not as healthy as say NYC- South Florida, NYC-Chicago, NYC-California, NYC-PHX, among others. NYC is a great vacation destination, but just think of all of the great vacation destinations that people in SLC have the option of going to: SFO, SEA, LAS, SAN, skiing in their own back yard, Tahoe, among others that are much closer and possibly cheaper (granted SFO is in no way cheaper but i digress). Remember for many people vacation dollars and time are precious and might be few and far to come by, making local (ie closer) travel the best option. Plus for many all over the US, NYC is a once in a lifetime trip.

Quoting LGAtoIND (Reply 42):

SLC has great skiing and I don't deny some New Yorkers love going to Utah to ski, but I am guessing the numbers pale in comparison to all of those going to Colorado. Of course I am only making speculation, but I am guessing this is the case.

NYC's status as the financial capital of the world will create SOME demand from everywhere, but will not necessarily create a demand that will ask for several daily flights from several airlines. Remember the question that was asked is why does JetBlue not have more flights between NYC and SLC, well probably because the demand between the two cities does not warrant thousands of seats between the two cities, and I gave you reasons why that might be the case, business demand between the two cities can only be so much as well.

Quoting Fanoftristars (Reply 41):
Don't forget DL also has two fights a day to Newark, so six total to NYC from SLC.

Thus proving my point that DL has the market covered well between the two cities with the combination of O&D and connecting traffic.

Quoting SpencerII (Reply 44):
iT'S JUST YOU! How often do you get out of Grand Forks ND?

I am no longer living in GFK, got my degree and am now pursuing additional educational opportunities. I also get out plenty, thank you very much.

Now if anyone wants to start a dedicated airline between SLC and NYC flying 5 flights between the two cities everyday with all of the competition that is currently on the route, be my guest. If you are able to get good loads and yields on the route I will be glad to eat my words, I can admit when I am wrong, but until then I just don't think the demand is present.

AA767400

Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:38 pm

Quoting BooDog (Reply 32):
I always get an aisle seat on airplanes so I can "breathe a knee" into aisle space.

And hopefully not get hit with the cart in the aisle.........
"The low fares airline."

Evan767

Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:59 pm

I mean can you honestly see a person from NYC going "I really need to get to Salt Lake" or a person in Salt Lake going "New York City is the place to be!" Maybe it is just me but I don't see it.

Quoting Fanoftristars (Reply 41):
Huh???

Umm, yeah sure, I mean we all know that folks in Salt Lake City would never consider visiting such unimportant things like the Statue of Liberty, Central Park or the Empire State Building, or enjoying the overall flair of NYC, nope, never .

iT'S JUST YOU!

How often do you get out of Grand Forks ND?

Holy hell guys, chill out. What are your problems? The guy just stated his opinion for crying out loud and he backed that up by saying, "maybe it's just me." There's no need to pee your pants over such a comment. I actually agree with him about the NYC people talking about going to SLC. SLC isn't that interesting when New Yorkers would more likely ski in the Northeast or visit another one of the hundreds of destinations they have to choose from out of EWR, LGA, and JFK. He's a little off about the SLC people wanting to visit NYC though. Everyone wants to visit NYC.

OA412
Crew

Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:19 pm

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 47):
Holy hell guys, chill out. What are your problems? The guy just stated his opinion for crying out loud and he backed that up by saying, "maybe it's just me."

And they were just stating their opinions! Frankly, his comment was ridiculous to begin with seeing as there is a great deal of O/D between SLC and NYC so clearly somebody is wanting to travel between the two cities.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

N1120A

Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:15 am

Quoting JerseyGuy (Reply 14):

Yeah, I could fork over $349 for a years worth of economy plus access

Or you can fork over not much more and get a year's worth of Premier status and still have Y+ access
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos